As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So, did I miss something. What the fuck is up with the OXM review? 6.5? That's extremely strange coming from them.

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dead-space

I don't want to read it for fear of severe brain aneurysm, will somebody brave the review and sum up the stupid for us?

Oh, btw we got our Dead Space Review out;
    5 out of 5

Hahahahahaha

It's pretty short. Like five paragraphs long. But the way it starts out is best:

"Dead Space
    WORDS BY: Meghan Watt"

Is that a common way to phrase it in journalism? "Words by?" Because that sounds like a first-grader trying to describe it.

Anyways, yeah, in her short review, she basically claims that you're picking up too much loot and there's not enough action, and that the story is cliched. Also complains that it doesn't have a real twist ending. Which I would say is avoiding the cliche nowadays, but whatever.

Low Score Review Trolling for page hits TBH. Not really even a review, more of a rant why the author dislikes survival horror games.
    Scavenging for ammo? In a Survival-Horror game? Whodathunkit?

The problem with trollish reviews like that is when they get posted on big sites and published in magazines. Does nobody read these things before they get posted/printed?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *snip*

The problem with trollish reviews like that is when they get posted on big sites and published in magazines. Does nobody read these things before they get posted/printed?

Agreed it is a problem, but what's the solution? The Internet is still very much the Wild West, and anyone with a sufficiently big (or loud) voice tends to be given at least some credence. There is no oversight, no governing body and no unified mass of consumers to say which sites should be listened to, and which should be treated as toxic waste dumps.

OXM certainly sounds like it should be a respectable source of news and reviews, even though it appears to be quite the contrary. To be perfectly honest, OXM probably couldn't care less about their perceived journalistic integrity or their reputation in the industry, as long as they keep getting those page views to drive up ad revenue. And why would they care about their reputation anyway? They're the "Offical" Xbox Magazine! No matter what sort of inane drivel they spew forth, they're almost guaranteed a veritable throng of slack-jawed fanboys to validate their existence.

But back to Dead Space...
    Quite the glowing review The_Spaniard. Certainly hope the game lives up to it (I'm sure it will :))

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, The_Spaniard, you've sealed the deal. Down goes 60+tax.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The hell would blockbuster not rent it for?

Blockbuster, according to the store manager of the store I used to work at, are no longer renting just any game. They are only carrying games that they consider to be "Sure fire hits" such as Madden and Metal Gear. Therefore, games such as Dead Space, Tales of Vesperia, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and many more, will not be carried by Blockbuster.

That seems pretty standard for BB. Of all the BBs I've visited over the years, finding anything but fairly popular (or movie tie-in) games has been a chore.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are the levels really open to explore or backtrack to if you're later in the game? Reviews I've read do not give much time describing this aspect of the game!

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The hell would blockbuster not rent it for?

Blockbuster, according to the store manager of the store I used to work at, are no longer renting just any game. They are only carrying games that they consider to be "Sure fire hits" such as Madden and Metal Gear. Therefore, games such as Dead Space, Tales of Vesperia, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and many more, will not be carried by Blockbuster.

That seems pretty standard for BB. Of all the BBs I've visited over the years, finding anything but fairly popular (or movie tie-in) games has been a chore.

Nah, actually, when I worked there (about a year ago), we still had a fairly decent selection of games. I mean, yeah, don't get me wrong, we'd get 70 copies of games like Halo 3, and 1 copy of Eternal Sonata, but I chalked it up as that the people in charge of the games we got not liking RPGs. However, their business model has moved away from rentals as a main focus, and instead are focusing much more on the retail market. Even with that said, games are really not in their main focus, and so they aren't even getting these games in for retail. To make it worse, they will, it seems, still continue to carry strategy guides for these games, however you'll likely never see them there unless they are traded in. Which I would recommend trading them there over Gamestop any day. Their trade in values, while still not overly high, were always much higher than those of Gamestop's. I just assume that holds true today, as I couldn't see them possibly being any lower.

See, and now I've gone on yet another rant about Blockbuster. *sigh*
    As much as I hated their terrible policies, I sure do miss that job sometimes.

Dourin on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm getting mixed signals from stores as to when this comes out. Target is saying 20th for 360 version, Gamestop isn't showing a date that I could see, but was saying it was available online but not in stores, and Walmart was saying that it was only available online as well. Where is the best place I can pick this up?

Oh, and I realize that this is contradictory to my previous post about not being able to get this, however, my roomate and I have devised a plan where we would both pay $30 for Dead Space and we would share our happiness/fear-filled-tears together.

Quoted because I really would love an answer to this, as it seems my in-store options are very limited at best.

Dourin on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That review was full of opinion and subjectivity. Which I guess is why I enjoyed it. Im not a big fan of survival horror games, and I keep looking to be turned around on the genre, I was hoping Dead Space would do that, but that reviewer pretty much summed up exactly what I dont like about the genre, and unfortunately exactly what I thought Dead Space would be like.

I dont think this is a case of sacrificing integrity for page hits, I think its just the reviewer's style. And in a sea of benal objectivity, its reviews like that that'll keep me from caving and buying the game, and being dissapointed once again by the genre.

My point is its pretty unfair to say its a bad review just because she didnt like it, its not like it rips the game apart for no reason, she says why she doesnt like it and backs it up with examples. Subjective, but thats not always a bad thing.

Prohass on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    That review was full of opinion and subjectivity. Which I guess is why I enjoyed it. Im not a big fan of survival horror games, and I keep looking to be turned around on the genre, I was hoping Dead Space would do that, but that reviewer pretty much summed up exactly what I dont like about the genre, and unfortunately exactly what I thought Dead Space would be like.

I dont think this is a case of sacrificing integrity for page hits, I think its just the reviewer's style. And in a sea of benal objectivity, its reviews like that that'll keep me from caving and buying the game, and being dissapointed once again by the genre.

My point is its pretty unfair to say its a bad review just because she didnt like it, its not like it rips the game apart for no reason, she says why she doesnt like it and backs it up with examples. Subjective, but thats not always a bad thing.

Yeah, I tend to find that if it's a good review, even when they pan a game I know I'll like, I get more interested in the game because they at least discuss the points they talk about and say what they dislike about them. Then I just think "well I like those aspects so this is actually the game for me."

It's kind of like how Yahtzee's panned half the games I really enjoy, but at least I know why he did it and whether he's picking at points that I don't really care about.

subedii on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Muddy Water on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heh, somedays I let my inner nerd out at work. I do a lot of layout work on company periodicals, one of which adds "inspirational" quotes to pad empty space. Last quarter, I dropped in an Arthur C. Clarke quote. I'm working on this quarter's issue and decided to drop in an Issac Asimov quote. The best part is that no one but me will get why I did it. Hell, I photoshopped the Death Star into a space-themed brochure once.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Heh, somedays I let my inner nerd out at work. I do a lot of layout work on company periodicals, one of which adds "inspirational" quotes to pad empty space. Last quarter, I dropped in an Arthur C. Clarke quote. I'm working on this quarter's issue and decided to drop in an Issac Asimov quote. The best part is that no one but me will get why I did it. Hell, I photoshopped the Death Star into a space-themed brochure once.

"That's no moon..."

subedii on
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh well, oh yeah Dead Space, looks pretty cool, however despite all the good reviews, there seems to be unanimous agreement that the game is not scary, which is really disappointing to me.

Whoever is saying that can fuck off. Maybe it will be a different story tomorrow in the middle of the day but right now at 1AM with my headphones on this game is fucking scary.
    Yeah fuck that shit, this is a scary ass game. I only have the two speakers in my TV and I was totally immersed in the atmosphere, if I had a surround set up I probably would have pooped my pants by now.

I want horror games and movies to scare me so I can get pretty engrossed in them if they're well made, I suppose not everybody has that temperament though so YMMV with this as with any horror game. If survival horror games didn't scare you before I doubt this one will be much different for you.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, this game wasn't even on my radar, but all of a sudden the last few days it made my "get this one" list totally out of nowhere. I'm still not even entirely sure why, as survival horror isn't my thing (though I loved the first Silent Hill).

I love science fiction and I LOVE a game with great atmosphere, though, so survival horror or not, this seems like it might appeal to me.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Man, this game wasn't even on my radar, but all of a sudden the last few days it made my "get this one" list totally out of nowhere. I'm still not even entirely sure why, as survival horror isn't my thing (though I loved the first Silent Hill).

I love science fiction and I LOVE a game with great atmosphere, though, so survival horror or not, this seems like it might appeal to me.
    Dude it has space toilets. nuff said

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hrm. I'm reading that the only difficulty that's not super easy is Hard..wonder if I should go for that one, or puss out.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really wanted to get into this game, as I've been craving a space horror game.

But something about mutating 'fleshy' monsters just does not scare me. Resident evil oversaturated me with them, and I was never a big fan of the particular concept even before that game. It just seems really uncreative to have these amorphis blobs of muscle and skin mutating haphazardly. I mean it used to be scary, but I need more nowadays. Is there anything that sets them apart? I know im probably not doing the creature design justice, but just from what I've seen in the trailers I was always dissapointed that in the end, thats all there was, scary "rawr" flesh beasties.

I think the scariest enemy I've faced in video games recently has to be the Splicers. The most terrifying thing to face for me will always be fellow humans, especially batshit crazy humans, who seem to only attack you because you interrupted their crazyness. Nothing shook me to the core more than a splicer screaming "IM SORRY FATHER IM SO SORRY!" as he runs at me with a wrench. That very real and very human disconect from reality is genuinly terrifying when combined with a violent threat.

I dont know where im going with this.

Prohass on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The problem is, you cant realy criticize a game review in the official thread of said game without getting that air of indignation. Like 'how dare she give it a low score look at how poorly written this is RARGH RARGH'

But in this instance, I think with it being both a highly anomalous score and short and genuinely poorly written then yeah, we can ignore it.

Also : 'words by' is used in journalism all the time.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Prohass wrote: »
    I think the scariest enemy I've faced in video games recently has to be the Splicers. The most terrifying thing to face for me will always be fellow humans, especially batshit crazy humans, who seem to only attack you because you interrupted their crazyness. Nothing shook me to the core more than a splicer screaming "IM SORRY FATHER IM SO SORRY!" as he runs at me with a wrench. That very real and very human disconect from reality is genuinly terrifying when combined with a violent threat.

I'm curious, have you tried Condemned 1 or 2? The enemy (the influenced) have all been driven crazy so I'm curious to how you feel about them. I think the neatest thing about Condemned is that you too are slowly being driven mad, so you see halucinizations and stuff

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Also : 'words by' is used in journalism all the time.

Cool, I wasn't sure about that. It just sounds so moronic to say it like that. "Words by"...you'd think they would say "Review by," "Article by," or a hundred other things that sound better.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dead Space Get!

As soon as I finish this tasty cheesy bread, I'm about to jump into it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Two more hours here till any stores open.

And on that note, farewell deadspace thread! Until I either beat you or get really, really stumped on something!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Ars Technica review has me excited. I hope I'll actually be able to find a copy once I get out of class here. To those that have it, was it hard nabbing a copy?

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The Ars Technica review has me excited. I hope I'll actually be able to find a copy once I get out of class here. To those that have it, was it hard nabbing a copy?

No.

But I pre-ordered. :lol:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I pre-ordered the "Ultra Limited Edition" and I haven't heard anything about if it's shipped yet or not.

Fuck you EA.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Anyone saying this game isn't scary is full of shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone saying this game isn't scary is full of shit.

Or maybe not considering that the game probably scared them empty and they were just trying to be a big man by claiming it isn't scary.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    alf4lyfealf4lyfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I might be special but uhh how do you equip the elite suit for the 360. I downloaded it off live but I can't figure out how to equip it. Thanks.

alf4lyfe on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, uh, does anyone know where I can find System Requirements? I looked at the OP, Amazon.com, Wikipedia, and the Ars review and couldn't find them anywhere.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    alf4lyfe wrote: »
    I might be special but uhh how do you equip the elite suit for the 360. I downloaded it off live but I can't figure out how to equip it. Thanks.

The first store you encounter, it should be on there as something you can purchase for zero credits.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    alf4lyfealf4lyfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cool thanks man.

alf4lyfe on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I need more ammo.

Give me more ammo!

D:

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, could you guys do me a favor and just not talk about this game until I get it. COOL THANKS

:winky:

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got this along with Saint's Row 2 earlier.

My 360 doesn't get here until either tomorrow or Fri. Yay!

Ranced on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just bought this game. Looking forward to playing it in approximately four and a half hours.

Hopefully it'll be good enough that I want to play through it again later, making it worth a purchase instead of a rental.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I get paid today and can't decide whether I should get this or wait until Fallout 3. This month is really frustrating.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I probably won't be able to play it until after next week anyway, as my sister, her husband and their two kids are visiting for the week (I believe) which basically means no xbox. And I'm not cool enough to have my own place.

I need my own place.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, those green boxes have been destructible item boxes all along?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, those green boxes have been destructible item boxes all along?

OH FUCK I'M GLAD I READ THIS

:stomp: :stomp: :stomp:
    "Know fear, no God. Know God, no fear."

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, uh, does anyone know where I can find System Requirements? I looked at the OP, Amazon.com, Wikipedia, and the Ars review and couldn't find them anywhere.

From YouGamers:

* Processor Speed: 2.8GHz
    * Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista
    * System Memory: 1GB RAM
    * Hard Drive Space: 7GB
    * Video: 256MB DirectX 9.0-compatible NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or ATI Radeon X1600 Pro video card with Shader 3.0 support
    * Drive: DVD-ROM

Silvoculous on
This discussion has been closed.