As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Jesus I love the Line Gun so much

I just wish ammo wasn't so scarce/expensive for it

Green on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The way they worked what would usually be done with a HUD into the game is damn slick. I really like it.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Now I must leave this thread. Hope it goes well guys, I'll catch you on the flipside in about a week or two when I get it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can I use a 360 controller on the PC without an adapter? Since it's USB and all.

I want this game on the PC.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, wired 360 controllers work with PC's.

Ranced on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    Can I use a 360 controller on the PC without an adapter? Since it's USB and all.

Yes,easily.

You just download the drivers (just googled "360 Controller drivers") and install them.
    Plug in the Controller into any USB port.
    Play the games!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sweet. But I just looked it up and the PC version isn't till next week.

And Far Cry 2 is next week.

:(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what about the wireless ones

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    IF (and this is a big if) you want to view the first 16 or so minutes of this game, G4 put a direct feed of it onto their site.

http://www.g4tv.com/trailers/videos/29351/Dead_Space_DirectFeed_First_15_Gameplay_Footage_Xbox_360.html

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's something you want to see before actually playing it.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »

you can use the USB charger cable to plug them in.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    YOU GUYS HAD BETTER SPOILER SHIT BETWEEN NOW AND NEXT WEDNESDAY OR I'LL KILL YOU.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Doesn't quite work that way Tex.

You didn't think it would be that easy did you?

185003107074oren%20ishii.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    YOU GUYS HAD BETTER SPOILER SHIT BETWEEN NOW AND NEXT WEDNESDAY OR I'LL KILL YOU.

While I agree, hanging out in the thread post-release when you don't have the game is not really a good idea at all.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

While I agree, hanging out in the thread post-release when you don't have the game is not really a good idea at all.

Shhhhhhhh.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »

Yes,easily.

You just download the drivers (just googled "360 Controller drivers") and install them.
    Plug in the Controller into any USB port.
    Play the games!

I literally just plugged mine in, no driver installs or anything. It works straight away. If you've got autoupdate on, windows might download drivers for it, but I don't think they're strictly necessary.

Still, YMMV, this is just how it worked for me.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Shhhhhhhh.

Also, for the fact, it's still pre-release for me. :p

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

icon_ugly.gif

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I love Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, and Bioshock. Should I give this game a chance?

Keidrych on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keidrych wrote: »
    I love Resident Evil 4, Gears of War, and Bioshock. Should I give this game a chance?

Yes, yes; a thousand times yes.

It's like a mix of all of those in space.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    043 wrote: »

I love brownies, ice-cream, and hot fudge, should I try the ultimate brownie sundae at Fridays?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The game has the Aesthetic of Bioshock, an Engine that is close in appearance as Gears of War and Bioshock, Resident Evil 4 gameplay.

But I haven't even played it yet.

Aumni on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So uhm..is this out, or did I hit my head? I can't keep track of all the upcoming releases.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Doesn't quite work that way Tex.

You didn't think it would be that easy did you?

185003107074oren%20ishii.jpg

wait

so how does it work?

I'm kinda stuck in a stone-age town, can't find anything but the wireless ones locally. There's a wireless version on Microsoft's website "for PC and XBox 360", but I can't tell if it's actually different hardware from what Fred Meyer or Walmart has on the shelf.

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So uhm..is this out, or did I hit my head? I can't keep track of all the upcoming releases.

Yes.

And has someone been on GBS lately? Nice sig/av. ;P
    wait

so how does it work?

I'm kinda stuck in a stone-age town, can't find anything but the wireless ones locally. There's a wireless version on Microsoft's website "for PC and XBox 360", but I can't tell if it's actually different hardware from what Fred Meyer or Walmart has on the shelf.

There's a USB adapter you have to buy that syncs with the Wireless ones.

And EDIT:

I don't think using the console exclusive suits ruins the tension at all -- it's too atmospheric for that. It does make things a bit easier, but so far, I'm okay with that. I won't want the real challenge until I play through on something higher than medium.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woo hoo, the wife just brought this home about an hour ago and I sat down and played a bit on meduim. So far it's really awesome, I'm gonna wait til tonight and start over again on hard since meduim isn't very scary when guys die to two rounds.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because, let's be honnest, Canada is as close to Syberia, We're not getting the game until tomorrow and even then, we're crossing our fingers.

Damn I so wanted to play this game tonight...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I said I was out yesterday, now I am officially leaving because damnit, I do not want this spoiled for me. Have fun chaps!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gamespot video review decided to spoil the fucking opening of this game with a monotone voiced nerd talking over it to boot, of course.

Hoz on
  • Options
    thisismyusernamethisismyusername Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was going to rent this game, but the rental store didn't have it yet, so I bought it.

Man am I glad that I bought it. This is the kind of game that I like to go through very slowly and check out all the little details. I rarely find myself using the run button.
    Plus I know I will be playing through it again since I'm using most of the power nodes I find to upgrade my equipment and not to open some locked doors.

I'm only a few hours into it, and so far its very good. Definitely lives up to the hype.

thisismyusername on
    PA2sig.jpg
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hard mode is so awesome, the game was definitely designed to be played that way. I'm constantly hurting for health/ammo and using every tool in my arsenal to stay alive.
    From the videos I thought the telekenesis/time slowing mechanics were just a gimmick, but I find myself using them both all the time. I'm afraid I won't get to buy any of the cool weapons though as I usually end up spending all my money on health :( I bought the pulse rifle but I haven't even used it as my ammo hoarding instincts have been kicked into overdrive.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was going to rent this game, but the rental store didn't have it yet, so I bought it.

Man am I glad that I bought it. This is the kind of game that I like to go through very slowly and check out all the little details. I rarely find myself using the run button.
    Plus I know I will be playing through it again since I'm using most of the power nodes I find to upgrade my equipment and not to open some locked doors.

I'm only a few hours into it, and so far its very good. Definitely lives up to the hype.

On power nodes
    Actually I found its usually worth it to use the nodes to open doors - there tends to be a lot of goof loot inside those rooms, sometimes even enough to buy another powernode from the store.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

icon_ugly.gif

icon_moon.gif

Yes on console, no on PC.

Fixed.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, I want to play this so bad...it just looks so crazy. Everytime I look at this screencap...I poo a little. I think I'll need a new pair of pants about every 10 minutes.

1196691283.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is anyone playing it now using an SDTV? I'm a bit worried about the hologram interface being hard to read on my old box of a telly.

Darlan on
  • Options
    KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guibs wrote: »
    Because, let's be honnest, Canada is as close to Syberia, We're not getting the game until tomorrow and even then, we're crossing our fingers.

Damn I so wanted to play this game tonight...

I actually just bought a copy at a Canadian Blockbusters...

Keidrych on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just finished a 3 and a half hour session. Holy Shit........

If anyone is on the fence about getting this, get your stupid ass off the fence and go to a store to buy it.

Flamethrower question:
    Is it just me or is a flamethrower kinda weak? I can hold the damn trigger down for 6 seconds and the damn guy won't die. I'm thinking of selling the damn thing...

kriegs on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    Man, I want to play this so bad...it just looks so crazy. Everytime I look at this screencap...I poo a little. I think I'll need a new pair of pants about every 10 minutes.

1196691283.jpg

I love this screenshot. The fact that he has barely any health left and is being swarmed by necromorphs, it's really one of those great, "Oh hell, I'm fucked," moments.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Is anyone playing it now using an SDTV? I'm a bit worried about the hologram interface being hard to read on my old box of a telly.

I've got an HDTV - but I think you'll probably be fine. Usually games that would give problems in SD are still hard for me to read in HD, and I don't see that here.

Anyone else finding the rifle to be kinda meh? - or is that just my lack of aiming skills - I seem to do better with the standard plasma cutter.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm playing on an LCD SDTV, and everything looks great. Readable interface, subtitles, everything.

Very playable. But, as with many things in tech, YMMV.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm on a 27" SD and sometimes I have to put Isaac's back to the wall so the camera comes in closer to the text archives - that's it. Anyway, I'm stuck!
    I believe I'm right outside the first zero g room. I had to move a huge thing that's on a rail to the far side of a room so I could access a lift that takes me to the top of the big... thing. Then I can walk across the big thing, move it again, and cross back to the other side, leaving me outside a door that says something like "zero g therapy". But for the life of me I don't know what this door needs to open it... help me?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
This discussion has been closed.