As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Democratic Primaries]: The End of the Beginning

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    An alternative view would state that any and all changes in Cuba are as a result of our foreign policy towards them.
    Well I'm sure that's the world view McCain espouses. And it is completely wrong.

If anything, the embargo has had more of an impact on the US than on Cuba. Cubans just hate the US and go on with their lives. Americans make a big electoral issue of this, drive a wedge in their electorate using it, and vote accordingly.

If only there was some way to engage Cuba without appeasement or capitulation.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »
    The Obama Campaign has not spewed sexist remarks, messages, rude gestures, or hidden codes on the bottom of the kool-aid cups that I've seen. They've been wanting the race to be decided on merits, and have pushed that pretty hard.

The Clinton Campaign, however, have been courting the racist vote since Super Tuesday. "Hard working white voters"? Come the fuck on.

She's saying the media is sexist (and the nation in general, but mostly the media), not Obama's campaign. I think it's misdirected outrage instead of asking why her strategy failed, but don't take it as a punch towards Obama.

So why is it that her supporters think that the solution is to vote for a Republican- against every single thing they stand for? That's what I'm concerned about. I know it's mostly bluster and severe sour grapes, but still- the call is out there, and it's loud in the echo chamber.

Tach on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People have awful short memories. The press is against Hilary? The same press that was ready to inaugurate her before a single vote was cast? The same press that virtually ignored all the other candidates in the leadup to Iowa? She had them eating out of the palm of her hand and she squandered it with arrogance, entitlement and poor campaigning

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People have awful short memories. The press is against Hilary? The same press that was ready to inaugurate her before a single vote was cast? The same press that virtually ignored all the other candidates in the leadup to Iowa? She had them eating out of the palm of her hand and she squandered it with arrogance, entitlement and poor campaigning

I'm sure that if any other candidate had lost 11 straight primary contests in a row the press would still pretend that he had any sort of chance of winning the nomination. Just ask Mike Gravel.

moniker on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Where is this sexism? I can't think of one example.
    hilsse.jpg

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Public servants should not be forced to enter the servants' entrance.

moniker on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, is it all over then? Can we expect a nice win in Oregon?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WMain00 wrote: »
    So, is it all over then? Can we expect a nice win in Oregon?

yes

double digits

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, is it all over then? Can we expect a victory speech in Oregon?

That's the hope.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You don't declare victory until the other side concedes defeat.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Something they refuse to do. Can't we just pretend they're not there?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    While looking at the thingsyoungerthanmccain site, I was reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask.

What happens if McCain keels over and dies before election day? Does Huckabee become the nominee? Or if McCain has named a VP, does that VP become the nominee?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    While looking at the thingsyoungerthanmccain site, I was reminded of a question I've been meaning to ask.

What happens if McCain keels over and dies before election day? Does Huckabee become the nominee? Or if McCain has named a VP, does that VP become the nominee?

If he dies before the convention, you have a brokered convention that eventually picks a nominee. If it's after the convention, then the running mate would move to the top of the ticket and have to pick their own running mate.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That and the republicans would get a major sympathy boost. Much as we might sometimes wish it, we don't want McCain to die. Yet.

>_>

WMain00 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No, they wouldn't.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That and the republicans would get a major sympathy boost. Much as we might sometimes wish it, we don't want McCain to die. Yet.

>_>

no?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also he's in Iowa tonight symbolically declaring victory ("So tonight as we clinch the lead in pledged delegates, we're back where this long, flat, seemingly endless Bataan Death March to the White House began..."

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    You don't declare victory until the other side concedes defeat.

30 supers flipping today and putting him over the top with Oregon would be awesome

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't.

You don't think? Surely the sympathy of the masses would cause people to vote for the next contender? Dying shoots up your opinion polls!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I keep wanting Clinton supporters to explain why it's okay to say that you're voting for her because she's a woman, but it's not okay to say you're voting for Barack because he's black.

Is there any way of knowing how many of Clinton's supporters are in it largely to see the first woman president?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I keep wanting Clinton supporters to explain why it's okay to say that you're voting for her because she's a woman, but it's not okay to say you're voting for Barack because he's black.

Is there any way of knowing how many of Clinton's supporters are in it largely to see the first woman president?

You could ask.

moniker on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No, they wouldn't.

You don't think? Surely the sympathy of the masses would cause people to vote for the next contender? Dying shoots up your opinion polls!
    Yeah, it does, except the guy it shoots up the opinion polls for will be too fucking dead to take advantage. John McCain is the one guy left that's keeping America from throwing the Republican party into a black hole.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sympathy votes only work for failed assassination attempts.

See: Taiwan's election in 2004, though people still squabble over whether it was staged

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No, they wouldn't.

Yeah, it does, except the guy it shoots up the opinion polls for will be too fucking dead to take advantage. John McCain is the one guy left that's keeping America from throwing the Republican party into a black hole.

Ahh.

In which case, may he rest peacefully one night.

:winky:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008

At this point, I would say a significant chunk. I would also say a significant chunk of Obama's supporters are eager to see the first black president. Not majorities in either case, but non-trivial numbers.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Say Obama gets the nomination... what are the chances of the would-be Hillary voters jumping on the McCain wagon? The indecisiveness on the democratic side gives me worries for November.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Say Obama gets the nomination... what are the chances of the would-be Hillary voters jumping on the McCain wagon? The indecisiveness on the democratic side gives me worries for November.

not very high once they remember mccain called his wife a trollop and a cunt in front of 5 other women

also

this might help some of you

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/18/03541/2524

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't get it.

Where is this sexism? I can't think of one example.

You are just an Entitled Internet Male and therefore everything you say or do is inherently sexist. Didn't you see that "service entrance" picture?

edit: damnit, beated by a full page. I need to read faster.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The same as Bradley's supporters voting for Bush/Nader, and McCain's supporters voting for Gore/Nader in 2000. Actually, probably less. And neither of those things really happened.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I voted find a large blunt object. And i'm British. Yes.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »

not very high once they remember mccain called his wife a trollop and a cunt in front of 5 other women

also

this might help some of you

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/5/18/03541/2524

*men not women

also you know, roe vs wade overturn

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Some will, some will not.

What you will see is a confusion period where somewhat partisan voters are forced to actually look at both candidate's platforms without the lens of "they're my enemy"

The hardcore will abandon(if experience is your one button issue, McCain is more attractive than Obama, facts be damned), the Random_Dems will stick around, and it's the middle ground you need to watch and make sure to sway.

Same deal if Clinton won.

kildy on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What could Obama say after winning the nom, during his inevitable speech, to encourage Clinton voters to come to his side?

And I honestly don't see why McCain's experience is such a selling point when it's clear that, for all his years, his judgement is still shit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    What could Obama say after winning the nom, during his inevitable speech, to encourage Clinton voters to come to his side?

He has punch and pie.

moniker on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yikes. Regarding Sexism/Racism, I was reading the Times and the Clinton campaign claims that "they believe race was a relatively small factor in the West Virginia vote."

Really. Weren't exit polls showing at least 25% of the population voted on race?

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

And I honestly don't see why McCain's experience is such a selling point when it's clear that, for all his years, his judgement is still shit.

He'd sing and dance. Chicks can't resist a guy with a soft, soothing voice and some slick moves on the dance floor.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In my town I seem surrounded by feminists with a hard-on for Clinton yet no idea what her presidency (or Obama's) would mean for the country. I guess (and hope!) these people are in the minority.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »

He has punch and pie.

Pie is too sexist. Unless it's strawberry/rhubarb or sweet potato (maybe too racist). And Vegan, because you can't alienate them either.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    Yikes. Regarding Sexism/Racism, I was reading the Times and the Clinton campaign claims that "they believe race was a relatively small factor in the West Virginia vote."

Really. Weren't exit polls showing at least 25% of the population voted on race?

Think it was 21% but yeah, somewhere in that area. If the racist vote flipped, it would have been a very very close election.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

He'd sing and dance. Chicks can't resist a guy with a soft, soothing voice and some slick moves on the dance floor.

Which explains why Sammy Davis Jr. was so successful in politics.

Tach on
This discussion has been closed.