As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sketchbooks and t shirt

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want to meet you and get your autograph.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want to meet you and get your autograph.

right?

'cause this kids gonna be famous someday.

:^:

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    holy shit.

<3

Lly on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd try to put something down for faces/feet/hands. Just something to acknowledge that they are there. Feet moreso on the last one, ands and face in the first one. You still rock hard though, keep it up.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    maybe if I end up going to SCAD, I can meet you and get your autograph.

Then, when I'm a starving artist somewhere, drawing doodles for people on the street, I can think, "Hey. At least I've still got Alduar's autograph." And rather than selling it for bajillions abd buying a house I'll just be happy I have a famous dude's signature.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AlduarAlduar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    mustache!.jpg

fatty1-1.jpg

NightDragon: hehe... If we met I'd sketch you something... and THEN autograph it

Ravenshadow: thanks mate! Artists don't become famous... maybe they do on the internet and in small circles. besides, you need charisma and charm, or an undying thirst for attention to become famous... you need to plan to become famous, it doesn't just happen... hm.

Lly : ) danke

greatnation: yeah... i'm just lazy artist, and poor drafstman

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That's a beautiful use of the red-green compliment on the second one. Few people I know are brave enough to use it without trying something either asian or christmas-y.

The first one: Eh, what can I say. I don't enjoy portraits and this one is well done enough. I'm very happy that it has almost no traces of photoshop though. bravo sir.

Your abstract stuff is a pleasure to look at, but I have to say I enjoy the subject oriented stuff much more. You don't have to be famous to be rich :).

Rye on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    rye: thanks man... you are right... there is very little photoshop in the portrait.. it was done in painter : ) red green is fun... its better if you have yellow in there too.. pure red and pure green don't work so hot, but throw in some yellow... and damn! it comes to life

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    mount1-4low.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That last one reminds me of the story of Saint Paul for some reason.

Tam on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The other day, I looked through my desktop pictures and found some of your stuff, and I wondered, as I came back on the AC, if you were still around. You are, and I'm happy about it. :D

Your stuff is amazing. I particularly like your abstract paintings, they are really beautiful. Keep up the good work. :^:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    tam: heh.. didn't think of that, but i see what you mean

the one 52.. thanks mate! it's been a while!

flapper1.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Did you decide that you aren't getting enough practice drawing skeletons? Because you picked one of the more unpleasant subjects to draw.

Believe on
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Believe wrote:
    Did you decide that you aren't getting enough practice drawing skeletons? Because you picked one of the more unpleasant subjects to draw.

:|

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    hunterbhunterb Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    the black outline kills it for me a little bit. you went through all the trouble to define these forms so well (especially the legs) and then you just flatten it all out again with an even bold line.

hunterb on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    franks :| indeed

hunterb: yeah... i know, I'm just too lazy to fix.. the line was there first, and... well.. yeah.. too lazy and worthless i am. thanks for the crit though

soldad1-4.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    is that reffed? looks hawt

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Believe wrote:

:|

Don't tell me I'm the only person who thinks matchstick runway models are not fun to look at. :?

[I also totally thought this was the Doodle thread when I posted that. Think I got that mixed up because it was near the top of the forum at the time :|]

Believe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    greatnation: thanks!

believe: your statement is not a crit.. and it is not helpful in any way.. if you want to crit something... do it in a manner that helps the artist. a lame attempt at being funny while insulting my choice of subject to study is hardly a worthwhile post.

army1-4.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    akanekunakanekun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Are these all quick paintings or do you generally prefer not to render out your finished pieces? Your sense of lighting and color are spectacular but I end up glossing over the image because there aren't any areas that get focused on or tightened up - for example, if you did some more work on the face of the soldier in the foreground it'd give a really great place to rest my eyes and concentrate on for the entire piece.

That being said, I wish I could friggin' paint half as good as you. ^^

akanekun on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    With his talent, I'm pretty sure it's a stylistic choice.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've said it before: If you aren't already, you should be selling these or doing concept work for a company by now. The only thing I could crit on would be the simplicity of the composition, but even spliting a frame in half is possible in the hands of a master.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    army1-5.jpg

slight update

it was brought to my attention that the helicopters were toyish in size... because of a weird perspective issue.

akanekun: they are all quick paintings... I generally do not render completely... I like the sketchy quality... I am also a very lazy painter. You're right... I should create more interesting focal points. thank you for the crits!

creambun: thanks for the vote of confidence. I am also lazy

rye: I know... i know.. I am not very good at marketing myself. Also, I am determined to finish school... I recieved some advice from some professionals and the general consensus was... "finish school, you really don't want to be jumping into the work world if you don't have to"

on the other hand... I'm poor, and broke, and any other adjective that describes a person with little or no money.

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Alduar wrote:
    believe: your statement is not a crit.. and it is not helpful in any way.. if you want to crit something... do it in a manner that helps the artist. a lame attempt at being funny while insulting my choice of subject to study is hardly a worthwhile post.
    Hm, maybe I should say something.

a) Wasn't intended as a crit. I tend to draw things that look interesting in an aesthetically pleasing way, and most of my art-friends do the same. Seeing as how looking at runway models makes me flinch, I just wanted to know what drew you to drawing that thing as practice.
    b) if that was an attempt to be funny, it was apparently too lame for me to notice it.

And question: do you use pre-made or self-made brushes for the ground in this last picture? Assuming you use a brush.

Believe on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I seldom post here but...

Hey Believe, stop being a dick. What's aesthetically pleasing to you isn't aesthetically pleasing to everyone. Don't like it? Okay that's fine, but don't be an ass about it.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hey Believe, stop being a dick.

Yeah...just drop the subject and fuggedaboudit.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Aludar, these totally rock! Totally!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I agree, but there is a problem of focus .... especially in the last one. I feel terrible critting someone so much better than me but nevermind!

The characters who should be the focus of the scene are softly rendered/coloured, whereas the rocks and the ground around them are beautifully sharp and crisp. It slightly confuses the eye as to what to look at. It may just be the levels of contrast, but i think it's the level of detail on the characters, like the second guy in the back is totally sketchy which contrasts badly with the ground around them. Hope that makes sense and just to reitterate - i totally love your work!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    from life... self portrait

sp1-3.jpg

kewop decam: thanks mate!

nightdragon : ) <3

magictoaster: thanks yo

lly: don't feel terrible!! I don't post here for asspats.. I enjoy asspats, they make my bee-hind tingle... but I rather enjoy and value the crits! You're right about the characters that are not as well rendered... part of this is my anxiousness and inability to exaggerate full lighting details in paintings from reference... It's very difficult to do it well, and I tried going in and tightening the sketch, but I failed miserably.. I will try again!

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I hate you. <3

Projeck on
  • Options
    hunterbhunterb Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    your technique is really impressive, but the anatomy leaves something to be desired. i recall seeing a couple pictures of you and while the likeness isnt far off, the the lower half of the face seems a bit elongated/enlarged. if it was an attempt at caricature, its not obvious enough to come across as intentional.

self portraits are hard, though.

edit: botp

sp1-3.jpg

hunterb on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That's one of the most intrigueing ways to approach a self-portrait that I've seen. :o Spiky! kinda. Neat.

Believe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Project37: Thanks!

hunterb: hm... you're right. lower jaw is off. fuck! but yeah. thanks for botp!

believe: glad you dig, it was damn fun.

I really have no idea where this came from... frustration perhaps?
    sbpage.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's like DaVinci + Metzen. Or another ridiculous comparison.

I like it. Alot.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wow I was so confused for a second when you said "I like it alot", and then said "I really don't". Turns out that line is your sig, silly me! :p

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spilltoy: thanks! looking up metzen now.. : )

tweaked_bat: yeah, kinda confusing. werd

'nother SP.. messing around.. lots of fun
    sp4.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    very cool

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    How did you do the "frustration" piece? It looks like you did it on paper, and then when I look closer, it looks like it was done on the computer. Wuh did you do?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    nightdragon: it was digital... just used a rough pen-like brush in photoshop, then used some textures i've accumulated to give it that rough papery look

thevolta: thanks!

a few SP's for self portrait day

sp3-92.jpg

sp6-3low.jpg

sp7.jpg

oh and wolverine! for once I think I did alright with the feet and legs, though the rest is wonky!
    wolvey1-1.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The first one of that set is my favorite. The only thing that bugs me about it though, is your right eye looks weird. The lower eyelid isn't curved up enough and might be a little too bright considering the light pattern of the rest of the face.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils