As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sketchbooks and t shirt

• Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alduar wrote:
    tim: hm... i tend to choose the most static compositions.. i'll try to remedy this in future compositions.

Thinking more I think the white birds make me think of rain forests or beaches, maybe if they were black they might fit in a bit better. Either way for a concept piece it more than does the job.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think this void of life badlands feel is awesome.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    Cola KoalaCola Koala Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow... I can't even imagine how you did that landscape. Amazing work.

Cola Koala on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That's like gallery quality. You should print the landscape and sell them.

Jonis on
  • Options
    AlduarAlduar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    inkswitch: hm. none of your reasons were based on design, and i value art elements and principles over most anything else, thanks for your opinion!

artmonkey, nightdragon: thanks!

timthe sloth: hm. yeah, I just chose the white because it worked in the composition, you wouldn't see dark birds against a dark background..

volta, cola koala: thank you

jonis: it's a lot of trouble to do that, thanks though

i love the sketcher!
    sketcher4.jpg

sketcher6.jpg

a collaboration.. i did the inks over an extremely rough pencil sketch
    sketcher7-1.jpg

sketcher8.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    :S the sketcher is always empty when I look. Maybe I'll catch you one of these days.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ksblairksblair Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think this stuff is just fantastic, kind of stuff I wish I could do.

ksblair on
  • Options
    SammuSammu Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    I don't know if you know, but it appears you don't use the pen pressure. Apparently if you get JTablet (im guessing Java Tablet) you can use that feature. Hope you didn't know that so I feel less silly. I'm in love with the landscape, I hope to do something of that quality some day *gets to work for the next 2183712398 years*

Sammu on
  • Options
    kokosmasherkokosmasher Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    this work you've done is wicked such that i did not work on homework when i should have. the stuff is dang inspiring.

keep working hard and learning, dude! your attitude is awesome...

kokosmasher on
    (temporary)
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    scosglen: : ) when I go on the sketcher it's normally after class and have a beer and a sketch... in the late afternoon, or evening EST

ksblair: thank you, now go and learn and draw

sammu: Yeah, I don't use pressure.. I like it that way. it makes sketcher even more basic. I like the fact that sketcher forces you to think and there are no crutches

kokosmasher: hehehe... artistic inspiration>homework : ) thanks mate!

well i got a website up finally

brushbook.com

still a few things that need tweaking, but it's mostly finished!

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    With all that talent, why are you not making billions or pennies?!

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The images on your site could benefit the "Save for Web" option in photoshop. Even the background took a bit longer than it should have.

freek on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    freek wrote:
    The images on your site could benefit the "Save for Web" option in photoshop. Even the background took a bit longer than it should have.
    It loaded for me instantly. *shrugs*

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hellz yeah! Its about time, all that work is the hotfire.

One thing though, looks like one of your non break space is caught in between an <a> tag. (between portfolio and links.)

Its an honor to share the same first name as you. Maybe I can ride your coat tail because of it later in life. :lol::wink:

Sublimus on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eh, maybe it's all the stuff I'm downloading.

And Crunchy, your sig really creeps me out.

freek on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've gotten hooked on the sketcher(obviously)... and one of the drawings turned out quite well i thought.. and so I painted it.

sketcher7-9-1.jpg

original sketch
    sketcher7-1.jpg

initial layin
    sketcher7-6wip.jpg

crunch: I make billions of cheerios.

freek: most of it is saved for web... but you're right, a few things aren't. this is my first site, so i'm making a lot of newbie mistakes : ) thanks mate

sublimus: thanks! it's always good to find another whit, no? (is that how you spell it? because if you don't spell it that way it's not as sweet... 8) )

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh wow Alduar.

I've always loved your work, and this one is no exception! :D

I love the lightling and colors you used on it. And there's a very nice feel to it.

Awesomeness all around, good work (as always)!

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    hunterbhunterb Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i almost like the quick layin better than the final just because the focus is clearly on the woman. the final has too much evenly rendered detail on the dress and it pulls us away from the boobs...

tits...

ta-tas...

woman.

edit: or maybe its just the big white flowery thing on the dress thats too distracting.

hunterb on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I think its the big flower, I also like the motion of the figure better when it was flipped.

Iruka on
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You don't know me, but I can say unflinchingly that yours is some of my all time favorite work.

Sami on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sweet work dude!

Now if only your site design did your art-work the justice it deserves!

Ugh at the "mystery meat" navigation buttons at the top. I didn't know they were clickable until I moused over 'em. Rather than repeating the text and image links, just make the text visible straight away on the images. That way you don't have double navigation and aren't confusing my poor brain :(

Afterall, I'm a stupid, impatient Internet user! I want to know where I'm clicking straight away! I don't want to spend the extra 1 second to find each link! I'm a busy person!

Just think like that and you'll be fine when it comes to designing the web-site :)

And upon further inspection, the text links appear to only be on the main page... I'm guessing you will want to stick some sorta intro paragraph there? Overall the site needs some fleshing out, cause it looks a little unfinished as it is, but I'm guessing you're working on it :)

Just my two cents.

P.S: poast moar artwork plz!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nice work.

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This should be marked NSFW.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yousir draw some nice bums

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Definitely don't want to creep upon your existence, but I put some of your art on my wallpaper, live in a dorm setting, and constantly have people demanding a name or site or exhibition...

Is there such a name/site/exhibition available? For the commonfolk? For the people?

Also, have you considered titles for some of your work? I know much is casual with you, but especially in your portraits I feel a title would be beneficial. Or helpful. Or even just nice.

Thanks, I think if Van Gogh had a computer, his stuff would look a lot like yours.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You should definately get this work out on some canvases for people to buy, I'd really like to own quite a few of these pieces of art. If you got it put up on a borderless piece of canvas, tyour art would look awesome in a white walled gallery or something. Good good work, for some reason i really like your style. *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap* *clap*

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    indigo apoc: thanks mate! i did a bit more work on it

hunterb: I pushed th eflower back a bit value wise... i think it helped. mmm boobies!

iruka: you're right, the sketch has better motion. fuck! i always make things so damn static!

sami: thank you very much!

tweaked_bat: I changed the buttons (well, one of them... hoping that the user could figure it out with that clue) this is my first site. thanks for the feedback!

pent: danke

gafoto: i sorta thought it was accepted that my work is NSFW nowadays, o well

staleghoti: MMM bum bum bum

tylerbroor: don't worry, this is the internet. My existence is not creeped up upon. www.brushbook.com is the site I just got online! I never really think about titles.. Thanks so much for the kind words!

johannen: thanks dude, maybe someday i'll have an online store to buy giclee prints and such on my site! someday....

07.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alduar wrote:

watery1low.jpg

This is my background now, and it looks really really good. :D

It's good when you work with lighter colours, you blend the colours well and the shapes show nicely. Your darker works are more defined but don't hit with me as well as the others. I'm pretty sure that's just personal taste though.

Johannen on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alduar, I say this in all seriousness - how many American Moon Dollars would I have to give you to have the original of the picture featured above my post?

EDIT: The file name is "watery1low"

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    The_Indigo_ApocalypseThe_Indigo_Apocalypse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    :O

Wow, I dind't think the picture of the woman in that bad-ass dress could get much better, but you proved me wrong!

:D !

I Always love the textures you're able to represent in your paintings. Like all of the different fabrics in the dress and in her headdress. Very nice.

Also, I just have to say, the little bit of light reflecting off of the edge of the fan gave it a much more definitive an believable edge. I definitely enjoy your feel for detailing.

If you ever sell a copy of it, I will totally buy it.

The_Indigo_Apocalypse on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    indigo_apoc: thank you.. If everyone's claims for buying my pieces were true and I had a store online, i could actually make money for my art! that would be a rather novel idea.

megaman001: hm... moon dollars aye? I don't know

johannen: heh, thanks. I generrally try to work with a full value scale... representing all the main values.. thanks for your input

ms paint time!
    hobonaut1.gif

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

I'd pay several more for your other pieces. Maybe tens of dollars. Three digits? We'll see.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I usually rotate yours and wakka's stuff on my desktop for inspiration.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    FreshFresh Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I dont usualy comment on the forums - I'm more of a lurker.

However this whole thread is without doubt some of the most complex and truly wonderful work I have seen in a good while.

Fresh on
  • Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Alduar wrote:
    indigo_apoc: thank you.. If everyone's claims for buying my pieces were true and I had a store online, i could actually make money for my art! that would be a rather novel idea.

I'd rock an Alduar original on my wall. Also asspat.

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    kazhiim: hmmm

aumni: thanks! i'm honored to have a place on your desktop

fresh: thank you very much... I am glad you dig it

mr.inkswitch: thanky you!!

three abstracts and three shiesty character designs
    01low.jpg

02low.jpg

04low.jpg

05low.jpg

06low.jpg

07low.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That first abstract piece is fantastic. You are a machine!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I rather like the icy tundra one.

(And the abstract rock thing from way back at the beginning)

Lardalish on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey Chief, this stuff is looking pretty good.

My biggest comment with the characters would be that they all seem to be in akward poses/positions. This is a big problem for a lot of people, including myself. But I sometimes find it useful to think of something that character (if I have a character in mind) would be doing and draw them doing that. That way you dont have arms or legs in strange positions because you didnt really know what else to do with them.

If you don't know what the character is going to be ahead of time, try to think of an action like picking out some fruit at the grocery store and try to draw a character doing that. And then say, if you dont want your soldier squeezing an orange, put a grenade or something in his hand instead. Whatever it takes to make the poses, and the characters feel more natural.

Hope this is helpful.

-Cakemikz

Also, the second abstract looks like it might have started out as a still life with some melon/tomato slices!

rts on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't forget to upate your PA-profile or the url in your post above will be the only link to your website. That would be a pity ^^
    Would you tell me what the original size of "absland4" is?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com