As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

sketchbooks and t shirt

• Options
    AlduarAlduar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    saltiness: you're right. fixed.

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    thevo1tathevo1ta Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think I have a foot/hand fetish and you sir are fulfilling that fetish. Please more awesome army concepts though.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    volta: haha, nice.. glad to be getting somebody their fix! i will do more army stuff!

for the conceptart.org last man standing thunderdome 2, I worked ass backwards to do this piece.. took way longer than it could have, but i am happy to take a piece furtherl

thunderSteps!.jpg

and the final
    MrBlonde_round_3.jpg

another step by step, done before all the posts about this image..
    SelfTut1-2.jpg

final
    sp3-92.jpg

speedpainting inspired by Carl, aka hunger_artist
    0hunger1-4.jpg

captain america drawings! done after playing marvel ultimate alliance

cap5-1.jpg

cap6-1.jpg

and somewhat of a shiesty redesign
    cpt3-5.jpg

i think that's all for now

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Stellar work as usual, and I am especially loving the ones the show your works in progress. Funny thing is, I still don't know how you do it.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    again you seem to have made my jaw drop though my keyboard. I really like the one for conceptart.org.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How did you get those halftones?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    earthwormadam: I hope to have some commentary to go along with one of the process shots.. i just need to bring myself to do it!

thevolta: thanks dude, glad you like

magictoaster. It's fairly easy, do your linework, then color it with a multiply layer... then use "fitlers->pixelate->color halftone"

the trick of it is... you have to desaturate the color halftone because it is magenta, cyan, etc... 100%saturation otherwise. You can use a duplicate of the original color layer to get your colors back by setting it to color..... Or...

the way i did it on those (i remember now)... I duplicated the color layer, did the halftone, desaturated it greatly, then changed mode to overlay. I did this twice with two different pixel sizes in the halftone... sorry if this makes no sense.

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cap kind of looks naked without his ears showing through. I really like seeing the pencils in some of these, though. Cool stuff.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    How the hell...I mean, even your slap down half sketches....DAMN. You understand everything huh? Light, perspective, anatomy, everything.

I'm not sure about this, but the gentleman looking straight forward in your white alien pic, his arms seem a bit short.

Tam on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    RofL. My bad :D

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Natri wrote:
    I can't help but think all those lines are done in Painter? I don't know why, but it just has sort of that same structure. Are these made in Painter?
    Please answer the question that's been bugging me ever since those cool davinci-like drawings you posted :|
    Very awesome
    Read the thread. srsly

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Cap kind of looks naked without his ears showing through. I really like seeing the pencils in some of these, though. Cool stuff.

It is weird because it kind of looks like the ears were once there. I noticed it the first time. If you look where they should be there are a few faint lines like he sketched them in at first but erased them.

thevo1ta on
    hanshotfirst.jpg
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    God damn, I usually never post asspats, but that piece with the white aliens tearing apart that black glowy one is incredible. Can't wait to see future art posts, G-dawg!

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    toji.. I didn't realize his ears showed through, woops! (all these works were pure photoshop)

tam: not everything. still much to learn. his arms are inside his jacket. thanks mate!

natri, no worries

aneurythmia, your name is a mindfuck to spell

thevolta... you're right, i did place the ears, but i thought his ears didn't show through, my bad

asamofthehorrible: thanks mate

did this late last night
    absland2-8.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's prettymuch a given that your stuff is nice alduar, but if I had to say anything It would be that I'd love to see your spruce up your color schemes more. Your stuff is all really beautiful and distinct, but you hardly ever use any warm or bright colors unless it's in a tiny spot to accent a detail. I'm always reminded of morrowind's ashy, browny-green landscapes and environments when I see your paints.

That said, I've just started trying to speedpaint myself, and It's not easy, so my respect for you is that much higher. I'd just like to see a little more color variety!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alduar, what brushes do you use? Care to share em if they are customs? You get such great textue in your images.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Lly wrote:
    Alduar, what brushes do you use? Care to share em if they are customs? You get such great textue in your images.

Let's not ply the man for his artistic secrets.

Tam on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Captain America FTW! :D

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Lly wrote:

You don't have to. Read the first two pages.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    Post the updated version, Mr.Blonde.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    scosglen: a lot of people tend to want more saturated colors.. with my process, and the way i think, it is much easier for me to think about color and how it reads in a composition if i put value first.. and think mostly about value. speedpainting is indeed very difficult, but very rewarding

lly: i should have this in an FAQ or something, I use custom brushes, brushes i've downloaded, photos, scans of my artwork, photos of my artwork, etc. anything I can to create the texture i want

tam: i have no secrets, everything I use can be found someplace on the internet or in books.. it's the way you use them that is important

maximas: woot! thanks

aneurhythmia, thanks mate

angel_of_bacon: heh, yeah, sometimes i don't update all my threads at once... it just... takes... a long time.. here you go :P

absland3-1.jpg
    a few more hours..

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Alduar wrote:
    scosglen: a lot of people tend to want more saturated colors.. with my process, and the way i think, it is much easier for me to think about color and how it reads in a composition if i put value first.. and think mostly about value. speedpainting is indeed very difficult, but very rewarding

lly: i should have this in an FAQ or something, I use custom brushes, brushes i've downloaded, photos, scans of my artwork, photos of my artwork, etc. anything I can to create the texture i want

tam: i have no secrets, everything I use can be found someplace on the internet or in books.. it's the way you use them that is important

maximas: woot! thanks

aneurhythmia, thanks mate

angel_of_bacon: heh, yeah, sometimes i don't update all my threads at once... it just... takes... a long time.. here you go :P

omgpoopmypants
    a few more hours..

That is amazing man. Seriously, I love this.
    and I love you for making this

Prospicience on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Im not a huge fan on tha caps, but Alduar that landscape update is hella dope. My brain struggles to understand how you keep doing it..

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    holy shit.

exit on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectaculous.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Tam wrote:
    Lly wrote:

You don't have to. Read the first two pages.

EDIT: Aaaaahhh. Righto.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    prospicience.. your name boggles my mind when i type it. thanks! i love you too

cybermonkeytron: thanks mate. that struggle is the best kind

exit: holy thanks

dead: thankulous

tam: word

overwork'd nonsense
    absland3-7.jpg

I challenged idiot_apathy (CA.org) to do a piece with desaturated color... and I agreed to do a few with saturated color, probably the first of a couple quick sketches. screwed up the gesture on this'n
    saturated1-2.jpg

did this at the conceptart.org sketcher
    sketcher1.jpg

random crappy ripoff of good artists, done very poorly and nonsensically.. i guess that sorta works as a description of all of my work.. (phil hale)
    behead1-3.jpg

another shiesty ripoff.. (ash wood this time)
    wood1-3.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Alduar wrote:
    overwork'd nonsense
    absland3-7.jpg
    you know, alduar

whenever i want to show someone how good this forum is i link to your stuff

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    You update more often than Mullins, therefore, you have surpassed him in quality.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    About that landscape..... apart from "God almighty" words fail me. Amazing.

Penguin-Factory on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kazhiim wrote:
    You update more often than Mullins, therefore, you have surpassed him in quality.

Heh, i assume Mullins is also producing shedloads of stuff that he can't share (i.e. for clients). That said, that landscape is awesome, How much is original photo? (please tell me that some of it is a photo!)

It reminds me of Dylan Cole's stuff.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    did these on the conceptart.org sketcher

sketcher2.jpg

sketcher3.jpg

orikaeshigatae: I can spell your name from memory! : ) thanks!

kazhiim: yeah, he can't post his stuff.. some of it probably never reaches the public. i wish he would speedpaint more nowadays, but he doesn't. : ( try paperblue.net for a mullins-esque fix

penguin-factory: thanks!!!

lly: You're very right. some of it is a photo, dylan cole is infinitely better at painting realistic landscapes, i'm flattered!

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    SpeedKnightSpeedKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That landscape is not overworked, it's really nice and tight. It's at a level of detail I'd like to see in some of your more action oriented pieces. Great work all around. :^:

SpeedKnight on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    absland4-1.jpg

speedknight.. thanks dude, well i put a bit more work in on it. I did feel it lacked action... hence the birds! I heart birds

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hm... That red on that fortress or whatever strikes me as too bright an unnatural... Maybe I just haven't seen far away fortresses with huge areas painted bright red, but it catches the eye.. maybe too well.

TheBog on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    TheBog wrote:
    Hm... That red on that fortress or whatever strikes me as too bright an unnatural... Maybe I just haven't seen far away fortresses with huge areas painted bright red, but it catches the eye.. maybe too well.

I've thought this since the first draft but been too lazy to post. Overall it looks awesome though. Only other suggestion I can give is that the bird lines seem to travel on about the same plane and the other areas and depths don't really have any dynamic movement. The reason why this seems odd to me is before the place looked barren and devoid of life, and now it feels barren and devoid of life except for two stripes of birds.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    thebog: you're right.. done.

tim: hm... i tend to choose the most static compositions.. i'll try to remedy this in future compositions.

absland4-3.jpg

Alduar on
    splat.
  • Options
    Mr. InkswitchMr. Inkswitch Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know . . . I liked the strangeness of the red. It drew my eye toward it. Made me wonder why it was so red. The landscape is surreal enough to warrant such thoughts.

Mr. Inkswitch on
    wwtd2ay4.jpg
  • Options
    art monkeyart monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have, absolutely no idea, how you did that landscape.

It's as pro as they come.

art monkey on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    sexy sexy sexy.

NightDragon on