As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - OOC] Silent Horizon

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Greeper wrote: »
    I is sorry for the miss guys.

HD fried on my birthday which was the same day as the game.

Attempts to play on home computer thwarted by eating out, etc.

may be late to this weekend too. I'm a terrible person sorry.

We missed you.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sorry :(

What version of Maptools do we use again?

Greeper on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Goose! on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Once the current quest has been finished up, I'll switch up to the newer maptools version.

Anyways, game should be running at the usual time tonight. I've just finished creating the last encounter except for the battleground itself, so you guys can go just as far as you please.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's my friends sheet. Halfling ranger ftw:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=89771

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm, based on the results of last session and the fact that we don't have two defenders any longer, I think I'm going to start retraining finwe to be sword and board focused.

Is it possible to retrain class features? Ie, retrain my fighter weapon talent to be for one handers instead of two?

You should totally let me retrain a feat, a power and a class feature this level due to uh...my near death experience and the constantly shifting nature of the party.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should've just died so you can create a better defender :P

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    You should've just died so you can create a better defender :P

:P

Blame hacksaw for leaving when he was our shield based defender.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well the last encounter for this dungeon is the last encounter for, like, enough time.

If you get obliterated you can just reroll at that point.

And if you don't die then your build is fine and you just need to pick some defensive tricks for level 3.

Unstoppable makes more sense than Boundless Endurance for a high-damage build anyways.

Or you could switch Quick Draw out for Toughness, Shield Proficiency, or Plate Proficiency.

Also I just realized something: Dwarven Armor's Daily is a FREE ACTION.

So you could have used it between claw attacks and would have been fine and dandy. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well technically you shouldn't have done the claw attacks all at once anyway. :P

I'll concede to have to retrain my stuff one at a time. Can I however, retrain my class feature or are we sticking with no on that?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Class feature stays.

It's intended to be a defining choice, and your build isn't exactly gimped.

Besides, I'm tired of rewriting treasure lists. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh well. Guess I can't argue, a little silly having a power that will do absolutely nothing for me for the rest of the game, but, such is life.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Huh?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Huh?

The class feature is +1 to hit with two handed weapons. The other choice is +1 with one handers. I picked two handers.

I mean, I guess I could use two handers every now and again, but it's such a hassle switching once shields are involved. Standard to take it off, minor to sheath weapon, minor to draw two hander. Basically I lose a whole turn. Takes a whole turn to switch back. Losing two turns to take advantage of reach for a turn or so just isn't that appealing.

It is just a +1, not the end of the world. Just silly is all. I just think its an odd design choice to not let you change class features. It's something you get at first level before you have any clue how your character will actually play. Just seems to go against their design philosophy. I could see how changing that would be a really big deal for say, warlocks though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Versitile weapons.

Also there's a new magic item that's basically a weapon that shapeshifts.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Shapeshifting weapon sounds snazzy.

I was planning on using a heavy shield... hm, light shield still doesn't let you use that hands for attacks.

Man, I wish they still had the buckler. That would be a nice compromise. Something that gave more armor on the way in but then stopped helping once I started swinging.

Maybe I will just stick with two handers. Seems like I'm already pretty committed at this point.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not against a buckler or kote.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not against a buckler or kote.

How would that work? Feat to gain proficiency with it, +1 to AC and Ref (like a light shield) but if you use that hand to attack during a round you lose the bonus for the whole round?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Light shield Proficiency, +1 to AC, no Ref bonus, and you have to declare whether you're going S/B or TH at the start of your round, and cannot change back until the start of your next round. Kote is the same as buckler but takes up glove slot instead of arm slot.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Roger. And at the start of a round I could also opt for say, holding glaive in main hand and using the buckler, but I couldn't attack or make OAs with the glaive, correct?

<3 you Jewcar.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Even with a light shield you can hold things, you just can't apply that hand to attacks.

Anyways, that should more or less put it on par with Two Weapon Fighting, since you still have potential access to shield magics, but trade having to drop your off-hand for having no Ref bonus.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, sounds all good. I will be looking into purchasing one the next time we are at a store then.

I'll probably still do some feat retraining as I level, but, this makes the changes I want to make far less drastic.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It also saves on retcon nonsense and favoritism because everyone can grab a buckler. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It also saves on retcon nonsense and favoritism because everyone can grab a buckler. :P

It's okay, I still know that I'm your favorite <3

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Maserati Andrast, Eladrin Rogue
    Init +5 HP 33/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (3 used /7)
    AC 17 Fort 13 Reflex 17 Will 14 Speed 6
    Str 14 (+3) Con 11 (+1) Dex 18 (+5) Int 10 (+1) Wis 12 (+2) Cha 14 (+3)

Level 3

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    After his rather recent near-death experience Finwe has gained a new-found level of caution and wariness in combat. No longer so eager to plunge his blade into a sudden opening at the cost of his own defenses, Finwe has become a more conservative warrior. In addition the scars and wounds from the incident have, thanks to the deft work of Smaug, healed over and toughened into skin and bones sturdier than before.

In game terms: Finwe forgets Sneak of Shadows and... Finwe learns toughness!

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=59203

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mmnkay, great game last Sunday, guys. However, I have been informed that next Sunday will be Goose!/Maserati's last run with us.

Our primary concern here, then, is finding another reliable player to fill his slot as either a striker or a defender. If any of you know such a one, please reccomend them. Otherwise I'll start hunting down Crit-Craving souls which peer warily from this haunted forest of threads we call a forum.

However, I'm somewhat concerned that we're down to two original party members, which kind of muddles up the narrative and kills a lot of whatever dramatic tension may have been built up since that fateful day when Maser fed a shurkien to a Kobold Minion peeking out from some bushes on a bright moonlit night where the air filled with a strange silence and a pressure between the ears.

At present, I am assuming that we shall all continue merrily down the road to dealing with the Silent God and whatever the House of the Distant Shore has up their silken sleeves, and of course kicking the Flesh Circus in their sensitive regions (possibly knees), however, if it would better serve the interests of the group as a whole, I am open to starting up a fresh campaign (starting at whatever level you're all at when it's ready, because I want to explore the whole edition before I backtrack). I shall leave the conclusion up to democracy, with those who have stuck with the adventure since the beginning having the greater weight to their votes, should a tie develop.

Anyways, as promised, items which might in fact be available for purchase or production by way of the House of the Distant Shore, which you may not have the book to be aware of:

Level 1
    Belt of Resilience (Heal checks to aid you gain +2 item bonus)
    Distance Weapon (No magic crit bonus, but +5 range, +10 long range)
    Eternal Chalk (endless stick of chalk...)
    Floating Shield (shield that is basically a life preserver)
    Headband of Perception (+1 to Perception)
    Impenetratable barding (resist all 10 for a ridden mount)
    Restful Bedroll (Daily 1d8 temp HP after long rest)

Alchemy
    Alchemist's Acid/Fire/Frost 20gp
    Antivenom 20gp
    Clearsense Powder 20gp (roll save vs. Blind or Deaf)
    Clearwater Solution 20gp (water purifier)
    Alchemist's Acid/Fire/Frost Ammunition 25gp
    Tanglefoot Bag 25gp
    Blinding Bomb 30gp
    Bloodstinger Poison 30gp (add 5 ongoing damage to attack)
    Dragonfire Tar 30gp (ongoing 5 fire damage)
    Ghoststrike oil 30gp (resist insubstantial)
    Herbal Poultice 30gp (+2hp during short rest surge)
    Slow-Step Oil 30gp (slow on hit)
    Beastbane 160gp (slide beasts away all encounter)
    Blastpatch 40gp (energy landmine, damage+immob, sometimes CA)
    Lockbust Chalk 40gp (Melts locks)
    Tracking Dust 40gp
    Alchemical Silver 50gp (silvers a weapon)
    Thunderstone 50gp (Thunder damage+push)

There are also hella higher level items, but way too many to list tonight.

There are also other consumables.. whetstones, magic food, etc...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Is floating shield a shield I don't need hands to use?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Is floating shield a shield I don't need hands to use?

It is a shield that floats on liquid.

It's like a metal-plated water wing.

So long as you don't dive, it makes you a kickass swimmer.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah sorry guys. I've kind of lost interest a bit thanks to football season and now finding a job plus the holiday game release thing (oh GOD Left 4 Dead). I've had a lot of fun and anyone would be lucky to jump in the game with ya.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yeah sorry guys. I've kind of lost interest a bit thanks to football season and now finding a job plus the holiday game release thing (oh GOD Left 4 Dead). I've had a lot of fun and anyone would be lucky to jump in the game with ya.

I'll miss ya duder. Take care of yerself. See you in L4D and maybe TF2!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hey Jewcar, exactly how much can I mess with my character? I'm assuming my stats, skills and race and everything is locked in place, but I can go hogwild on the exploits and feats?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey Jewcar, exactly how much can I mess with my character? I'm assuming my stats, skills and race and everything is locked in place, but I can go hogwild on the exploits and feats?

Keep the flavor, mostly. This is mostly so you can take advantage of new rules, not start from scratch with Finwe Jr. :P So no turning into a dual-hammer weilder out of the blue or anything. Your treasures shall remain as they are.

Vincent's class is in the same book, so feel free to extend the offer to him, with the same caveats.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vincent was kind of very intrigued by the beastmaster class, but that would be a serious overhaul of his character. Maybe for when he dies or something.

I'll also be asking Vincent what he wants to do storyline wise.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hypothetically, now that we are back in town, if Vincent really wanted to overhaul his dude could we do a sort of he was really playing Eli the whole time thing (with different stats) and now that we are back in town Eli is leaving and Vincent is joining? Smooths things out story-wise a pinch.

Just wondering on his behalf. Not sure if he's even going want to go all beast-ed out.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He can do beast spec. He'll just have a heart-warming encounter with a random animal on the way to the next adventure or something. :P And yeah, I'll just assume he was Eli the whole time. Stilts and all.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He skimmed the book and decided to stick with ranger anyway so, looks like that whole idea is kinda moot now.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    New and improved Finwe:
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=59203

Basic Summary:
    Cleave (did I even use that move once?) replaced by Footwork Lure
    Villain's Menace replaced with Lasting Threat
    Boundless Endurance (I don't think I ever used that either) replaced with Create Opening
    Dance of Steel (definitely never used this) replaced with Parry and Riposte
    Quick Draw replaced with Martial Freedom

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mmmm...ripasta

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Spiffy.

What in blazes does Martial Freedom do?

--

Also, this is the Brooch of Shielding +1

Enhancement: Fort, Ref, Will
    Property: Gain resist 10 force.
    Power (Daily): Immediate Interrupt. Use this power when you are hit by an area, close, or ranged attack. Gain resist 10 all against that attack.

Do keep in mind that using magic item dailies is a daily ability in itself, barring Milestones, rather than being able to use every single magic item's daily on a daily basis.

Incenjucar on