As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Firefox 3 is out! Thinking in Russian not required

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Been using the FF3 beta for a few months now. Absolutely loving it.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like the performance enhancements, but I still hate the "awesome" bar after months of use.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My drop down box for my recently typed in URLs is full of my bookmarked pages and every link I click on. How do I get rid of this, because it is bugging the Hell out of me.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    My drop down box for my recently typed in URLs is full of my bookmarked pages and every link I click on. How do I get rid of this, because it is bugging the Hell out of me.
    Seeing as how that is the single biggest and most requested feature in FF3¹, you don't. Just keep typing; it's searching though everything to find what you want. Also, if you just click the drop-down on the right, it just shows your "most typed" list as per ff2.

¹This may be hyperbole.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's wrong with awesome bar?

Fuga on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Seeing as how that is the single biggest and most requested feature in FF3¹, you don't. Just keep typing; it's searching though everything to find what you want. Also, if you just click the drop-down on the right, it just shows your "most typed" list as per ff2.

¹This may be hyperbole.

Wow really? I could not even think of anything more annoying. It annoys me even thinking about it. Ugh.

Uugghh.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just installed it on my Mac. It actually looks like a OSX app. Weird.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    It also needs mouse gestures. The one named "mouse gestures." The one it is pushing on me doesn't seem to allow multiple gestures to have different meaning depending on context.
    For example, with mouse gestures, I would hold down the right mouse button and draw a line up over a link to open in a new tab. If there were no link under my line, it would simply create a new tab.
    Am I doing it wrong?

God yes, I spent so long in the options trying to get it to do this, and couldn't find a solution.

Also, anyone have a way to cycle through tabs by putting the mouse cursor over the tab bar and using the mouse wheel? I can't believe how used to doing that I had gotten but it's driving me crazy that I can't do it anymore.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, if it helps, you can use CTRL + 1,2,3 etc.
    For example, with mouse gestures, I would hold down the right mouse button and draw a line up over a link to open in a new tab. If there were no link under my line, it would simply create a new tab.
    What's wrong with this?

Fuga on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    What's wrong with this?

Nothing. The problem is the only version 3 compliant mouse gesture add on (that I've found, and he's using the same one) doesn't let you do this. I can't even get it to open a tab by gesturing over the tab unless I highlight it first, or begin the gesture on the link, which prohibits opening multiple links at once.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I am absolutely in love with the new bookmark and address bar thing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am not! I am the opposite of that.
    It is because I do not manage my bookmarks very well and they are all irrelevant.
    Also I heard that the history comes before the bookmarks and this is not always the case.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does no one else use ctrl-pgup or ctrl-pgdn for going through tabs?

I'm loving FF3 RC, The awesomebar (which I didn't even realize was completely revamped and a big feature) is really awesome and I only have to type forum and it brings up G&T as the first result. gm brings up Gmail, ma brings up Yahoo! mail. Once it learns where you go often (if you don't use bookmarks but type most of your addresses - since bookmarks just plain bypass the address bar) from a few visits it really does quicken browsing.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

¹This may be hyperbole.

Wow really? I could not even think of anything more annoying. It annoys me even thinking about it. Ugh.

Uugghh.

I don't like it either - if you go into about:config there's a setting called browser.urlbar.maxRichResults that I set to zero so it doesn't show them anymore. I would rather just have the option not to include bookmarks and non-typed URLs, but for now oh well.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There is an addon called oldbar that makes them look the old way, but it still sorts them the new way.

Used to be I could just type one letter to go to the webpage I wanted, but now it will give me a youtube video with that letter included in the garbled letters section.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Firefox 3's awesome bar is the best thing ever!

Situation: I only remember one word in the title of the page that I recently visited.
    SOLUTION: Type it in the address bar, and it's right there at that top.

MAGIC!

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think it may be getting better, as I go to webpages it seems to be assigning more weight to my choices, maybe when everything was imported in that information wasn't saved.

It's still really disorienting though - I will type a letter and expect to see things that at least start with that letter, and receive a list of things that contain that letter randomly throughout the address and title (which I usually don't pay attention to).
    For instance "d" -> forums.penny-arcade.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=60835

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, I'm the same thing. As stated before, it's really useful for situations like finalflight89's.

But no longer can i just type "f" to get the forums, (forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) n go get the ones over at neogaf ( neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 ), 'giz' to get to gizmodo, 'red' for reddit, 'di' for digg, and so on, and so forth. Sure, I could set that all manually, though the use of keywords, but I like how it is now, having it done automatically and so naturally because i visit these sites so often.

The awesomebar is a great idea, but it needs some kind of sorting.. the way it searches so haphazardly doesn't make sense. it should be giving a precedence to URLs, and specifically from the front of a URL, and then to titles, from the front of a title. The way it works so randomly at the moment just doesn't work for me.

The rest of the improvements though, are :^: :^:.

Well, aside from the theme in XP. Ewwww. But then, it fits with the default playskool theme that so many people still use, so I can't fault them there. I'm definitely going to d/l the Vista theme next week.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ZombieX wrote: »
    What's wrong with this?

Nothing. The problem is the only version 3 compliant mouse gesture add on (that I've found, and he's using the same one) doesn't let you do this. I can't even get it to open a tab by gesturing over the tab unless I highlight it first, or begin the gesture on the link, which prohibits opening multiple links at once.

Eh? That behavior works just fine for me in this extension. I drag up over a link and it opens it in a new tab. If there's no link where I'm dragging up, it just opens a blank tab. It won't work for opening multiple URLs with one gesture though, you're right.

Edit to add: Regarding the Awesomebar, my experience is that the sorting kind of sucks for the first week or so, but once you've started using it and it's not weighting your entire history at the same level, you can start typing things in the way you're used to and the things you want will come up first.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Question: is there anything around that can replace TabMixPlus yet? Last I checked, development had slown way down and there wasn't a release for FF3.

Frem on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    What's wrong with this?

Eh? That behavior works just fine for me in this extension. I drag up over a link and it opens it in a new tab. If there's no link where I'm dragging up, it just opens a blank tab. It won't work for opening multiple URLs with one gesture though, you're right.

Edit to add: Regarding the Awesomebar, my experience is that the sorting kind of sucks for the first week or so, but once you've started using it and it's not weighting your entire history at the same level, you can start typing things in the way you're used to and the things you want will come up first.

I'll try this at work (where I am using FF3.) When I searched all I found was the original Mouse Gestures which does not work with 3.
    Edit: Apparently this add-on is not for OSX.
    :(

edit2: BULLSHIT! It does work with OSX. They lied. But anyway, thanks. This is great.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i'm downloading it now

i've been using ff for close to 6 years now and aside from the memory thing, have never really seen anything wrong with it

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    What's wrong with this?

Awesome, I didn't see this one. Thanks :^: I just set RU for opening multiple links, so that'll work.

That's one problem down.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm the same thing. As stated before, it's really useful for situations like finalflight89's.

But no longer can i just type "f" to get the forums, (forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) n go get the ones over at neogaf ( neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 ), 'giz' to get to gizmodo, 'red' for reddit, 'di' for digg, and so on, and so forth. Sure, I could set that all manually, though the use of keywords, but I like how it is now, having it done automatically and so naturally because i visit these sites so often.

The awesomebar is a great idea, but it needs some kind of sorting.. the way it searches so haphazardly doesn't make sense. it should be giving a precedence to URLs, and specifically from the front of a URL, and then to titles, from the front of a title. The way it works so randomly at the moment just doesn't work for me.

The rest of the improvements though, are :^: :^:.

Well, aside from the theme in XP. Ewwww. But then, it fits with the default playskool theme that so many people still use, so I can't fault them there. I'm definitely going to d/l the Vista theme next week.

I see FF3 and the awesomebar similar to Vista. At first, it may seem slower and clunkier to work with, but it's learning your habits. If I type f into the bar now, it does bring up the Penny Arcade forums because it's the main thing I type f for. I'm sure it will learn your habits soon.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, I was going to suggest Mouse Gestures Redox last night but I assumed that was the one you guys were complaining about. :(

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just a quick FFx3 question: I have a button for my browser in my quick launch bar and that's usually what a use to open it. But after I freshly boot up my computer and click on the shortcut, it doesn't work the first time and I have to click it twice and have two different version of firefox load. Nothing else does this. Is this a known firefox 3 bug?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My quicklaunch icon worked perfectly from FF2, to FF3 RC1, etc. Maybe just delete the shortcut and create a new one? I don't know what could be causing that. Especially if it's loading 2 versions? (or do you mean 2 windows?)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Narian wrote: »
    Oh, I was going to suggest Mouse Gestures Redox last night but I assumed that was the one you guys were complaining about. :(
    I didn't have the link in my post initially since I thought it was the only mouse gesture plugin that had been updated for Fx3, but then I figured I should throw it in there to be safe.
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Just a quick FFx3 question: I have a button for my browser in my quick launch bar and that's usually what a use to open it. But after I freshly boot up my computer and click on the shortcut, it doesn't work the first time and I have to click it twice and have two different version of firefox load. Nothing else does this. Is this a known firefox 3 bug?
    I don't know if this is what happened for you, but on Windows when I installed beta 5 (a few weeks ago, obviously), it didn't uninstall Firefox 2, so I had two firefox icons on my desktop -- one for 3 and one for 2. I'm not sure if they've changed this for the release candidates. (I would assume they'd be changing it for the final though!)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The_Rat wrote: »
    I'm running RC3 in Gutsy Gibbon and it says Firefox is using 100kb, and Firefox-bin is using 17179869180.1GB. What is up with that.

!!!

That's a lot of GB. Must be some sort of error.

What is that, 17 exabytes? I want your computer.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm running RC3 in Gutsy Gibbon and it says Firefox is using 100kb, and Firefox-bin is using 17179869180.1GB. What is up with that.

!!!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=549476&highlight=17179869180

Apparently you aren't the only one having trouble with that memory thing. It's not Firefox, it's Ubuntu and XGL.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's also the max number (17179869184) that 64bit systems can address or something like that.

(I cannot wait for June 22)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

!!!

There has to be a cache. I bet your read speeds are horrible.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    That's also the max number (17179869184) that 64bit systems can address or something like that.

What's happening June 22?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    Question: is there anything around that can replace TabMixPlus yet? Last I checked, development had slown way down and there wasn't a release for FF3.

I'm using TMP 0.3.6.1.080416 right now on FF3 RC2 using Nightly Tester tools.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

It's my birthday of course!

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

I get unjailed and don't have to wait 150 seconds between posts. I went to post that one and had to wait about 120 seconds first. Plus there have been multiple times I've had posts in a row or something I wanted to edit and can't.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just upgraded to RC3, and Firefox is using a lot of CPU time suddenly, up to 50% while loading pages. What's up with that?

I like the awesomebar and the in-page search is much faster, but I can feel the heat from my poor old CPU burning in my face.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yotes wrote: »
    I just upgraded to RC3, and Firefox is using a lot of CPU time suddenly, up to 50% while loading pages. What's up with that?

I like the awesomebar and the in-page search is much faster, but I can feel the heat from my poor old CPU burning in my face.

Could be some add-on going haywire, I had to reinstall flash for some reason here.

Try disabling all your add-ons, if that fixes it then enable them one by one to see the culprit.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    I've been using the Opera beta; Firefox still feels faster. ;-)

I just started using Opera 9.5 - it's faster because, at least for me, Fx 3 has that bug (I can't find the report at the moment) where, if one tab hangs, the rest hang. Opera generally browses at the speed I expect for my internet connection. Browsing in Fx makes me feel like I'm on dial-up.

On the other hand, I had about three dozen identical tabs open in both Fx and Opera to compare memory usage. While they were the same tabs, Opera only had the final locations (Firefox had all the googling still in its history). Fx lagged a little, but used about 90-100 megs. Opera lagged about the same amount, if a little less, and used 200 megs. Mind you, that could be because Fx crashed every three hours and so I had to restart it.

The awesomebar is definitely the best thing about Firefox for me. No other browsers has anything near as awesome as the awesomebar and Places, so I don't keep 3,600 bookmarks in any other browsers (IE has two bookmarks and Opera has a couple of dozen). I am also deeply appreciative of the fact that they recently fixed it so that Unfiled Bookmarks (I prefer how the OSX version calls them Unsorted Bookmarks - less liable to be misread as "Unified Bookmarks") get exported in the HTML file, too.

Oh yes, and userChrome and userContent FTW!

Cyvros on