Options

I think we're Alone (In The Dark) now. With added NSF56k!

12346»

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why did you do that Lewie?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Why did you do that Lewie?

Do what?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bring this thread up. It hurts me every time I see it. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ah, I see. I didn't notice it was off the front page, I just clicked on it through my control panel...

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It's a good review though... Even if it's not for the Wii version.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So, this game sucks ass? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I haven't heard many positive things about it. No go?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ask Drez. He'll tell you. From what I heard... Don't buy it, give it a rental at best.

e: The WII version is a stay away game. Don't even THINK about renting it. But I don't think you have a Wii.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ask Drez. He'll tell you. From what I heard... Don't buy it, give it a rental at best.

e: The WII version is a stay away game. Don't even THINK about renting it. But I don't think you have a Wii.

No sir I do not have a Wii. I spent too long trying to find one, and now I've stopped giving a shit. But yeah, I think I might steer clear of AITD.

Triple B on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Triple B wrote: »

No sir I do not have a Wii. I spent too long trying to find one, and now I've stopped giving a shit. But yeah, I think I might steer clear of AITD.

It's a goddamned irredeemable piece of dogshit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

It's a goddamned irredeemable piece of dogshit.

Really. I don't think I want to play with an irredeemable piece of dogshit. Nosir, in fact I am quite certain I do not.

Triple B on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While I don't like necroposting, this little piece of news came up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=220284

Apparently, the developers are putting in a bunch of changes to the PS3 version for UK/PAL/Europe release. As in fixing a lot of the complaints from the version they already released in North America.
    First up, Eden has taken on board the camera issues. Gone is the restrictive single-stick system which the player often fought against, and gone is the dynamic, somewhat zoomed-in perspective. Instead, players see Carnby from a more conventional zoomed-out third-person view, more central to the action, and, crucially, are given the option of full manual camera control with the right stick.

Other movement elements have been overhauled too. Carnby now runs by default, so there's no longer any need to hold the run button down the whole time. He changes direction quicker too and feels more responsive and fluid - though when you need to be careful and walk, you can still do that. You just nudge the analogue stick a little. Simple.

Elsewhere, the inventory system has also been given a few tweaks here and there. While you still press down on the d-pad to check the contents of your coat, it's not such a ball-ache. The completely imprecise analogue system that made it tough to cycle through items has gone. Now you only have the choice of flicking through your items with the d-pad. A small, but worthwhile change. You also don't have to pick up and insert batteries the whole time, or combine objects in a specific order to make them work, or confirm that you want to drop items. Such pedantic niggly little things, and worth changing.

I guess it would be too much to hope for a patch for the game for the 360 version or the North American copies of the game, right?

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I read that yesterday and found it rather good. As a 360 owner, if it finds its way into that realease (and gets re-reviewed positively), I would consider buying it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I read that yesterday and found it rather good. As a 360 owner, if it finds its way into that realease (and gets re-reviewed positively), I would consider buying it.

I agree. I want to play the game, but all the issues raised put it on the "keep away" list. If these fixes make it into some kind of re-release or patch for consoles/regions where the game already exists, I would buy it up, no problem.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know what that shit is? A smokescreen. Yes, the interface is abhorrent. But the game is also missing anything resembling dramatic tension, horror, or even isolationism, all of which this game SHOULD HAVE. Also, though I stopped playing, isn't there one part of the game that makes you do some retarded Super Smash Bros. Brawl maze-like thing that pisses everyone off?

I don't like pissing on anyone's hopes and dreams here but the game would still be a worthless piece of shit even if the interface becomes God of Warlike.

Addressing the interface issues is certainly nice, but that's a diversion: The rest of the game is ass too.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know what that shit is? A smokescreen. Yes, the interface is abhorrent. But the game is also missing anything resembling dramatic tension, horror, or even isolationism, all of which this game SHOULD HAVE. Also, though I stopped playing, isn't there one part of the game that makes you do some retarded Super Smash Bros. Brawl maze-like thing that pisses everyone off?

I don't like pissing on anyone's hopes and dreams here but the game would still be a worthless piece of shit even if the interface becomes God of Warlike.

Addressing the interface issues is certainly nice, but that's a diversion: The rest of the game is ass too.

Eh, I read comments elsewhere that disagreed with this. Tycho's opinions and the Eurogamer review, particularly.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Eh, I read comments elsewhere that disagreed with this. Tycho's opinions and the Eurogamer review, particularly.

Tycho and Eurogamer are wrong.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh, okay.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno if you guys saw it or not. But it seems the ps3 version will be getting a price drop along with its ambiguous improvements. Seems the msrp is $30. Is this price drop enough to move it from "pass" to "buy"?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seriously, though, while people are certainly entitled to their opinion, I think this is a wholly worthless product in every sense. When I called it "irredeemable" back in early July, I meant exactly that. They would have to replace everything in this game - story, characters, setting, pacing, interface, and so on - to redeem it, but then it would just be another game, and that's not really redeeming it at all.

Of course, the thing that is going to stab people in the face most readily is the absolute travesty of an interface because the player has no choice but to use the interface to interact with the game. That's what an interface is. In Alone In The Dark, it is like a toothache that just never goes away while all the other problems are intermittent punches in the face that occur from time to time.

The thing is, even if you give the player a root canal by fixing the interface, he's still going to get punched in the face by the fact that the game is an empty, ugly, annoying, unintersting, unfun disaster.

So I really do think this is a smokescreen. Fix the thing that people bitched about the most because, after all, the interface is the thing players are confronted with the most, and pretend that the rest of the game that this interface allowed them to interact with wasn't a total clusterfuck.

Which, in my humble but angry opinion, it was.

Drez on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game gets such varied opinions that because it's trying something new I'm going to play it, no matter how flawed it is.

But now I'll wait to see if those updates come to the 360 in the form of a patch.

Lave II on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think they confirmed that the changes will be patched in on 360, but they didn't mention a timeframe.

Renzo on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gyral's article mentions a 360 patch: "But 360 owners of Alone in the Dark, at least, need not feel completely hard done by. Eden has confirmed that it is working on a patch which will implement most of the changes that have been made to the upcoming PS3 version."

Here's an article specifically about the patch: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=220266

"Eden Studios has said that it is working on a patch for the Xbox 360 version of Alone in the Dark to bring it into line with the heavily reworked PS3 version."

Renzo on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I....I liked the game.

The maze part took me two tries.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think I'm the target audience for a game that requires you to press a button to blink, even just in one section. I didn't like Indigo Prophecy's "Press spacebar to breathe" sections, either.

I actually liked the idea of the episodic format that let you skip around -- that was cool. I'd love to see it done in a game better than this.

takyris on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see a lot of console comments, has anyone put any good comments out on the PC version and whether the controls are improved on it?

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png