As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can you do a hundred push ups? Joe Biden can

• Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just did my week 4 exhaustion. Got 40. On one hand, I want to try again to hit 41 so I can be R3, on the other, WTF Week 5?!

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Two weeks ago, at the end of week 2, I injured my shoulders during the workout, and a week later I had a big physical job to do (loading and unloading a show). So I've slacked some, and decided to redo week 2 before doing the exhaustion test.

12/12/9/7/23

Maybe it's just because I had such a long rest, but I'm really pleased my max went up so much. I remember, the last time I did this week, I think I was struggling just to keep Max 18 every new day.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I'm just failing W3D1 over and over again...
    what am i supposed to do in this situation?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ah, this is awesome. I need to get out of G&T more.
    I'm gonna join in on this and post my initial level later (provided I don't have a stroke).

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Day 1, 7/7/5/4/8. I'm starting with "bench" push ups -- I seriously injured my shoulder a couple of years ago, and I haven't been able to do any meaningful upper-body exercise since. A physician told me he'd be shocked if I ever did 20 push ups again in my life, but I think if I start rebuilding gradually, there's a good chance I can prove him wrong.

Check H/A on Wednesday for my inevitable "So my right arm just dislocated, tore through all the muscle, and fell clean off my shoulder -- recommend me a one-handed keyboard" thread.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just at breakfast, so in about and hour I'm gonna go run about 3 miles and come back in to do my W1D1. I'll update the spreadsheet as soon as possible. I'm giddy!

Edit: I got my 5k run time down to 25 minutes despite the driving wind in my face. In addition my W1D1 was a success! 10/10/8/6/10. I am still sore from my initial test (on saturday!) but I think I did well enough. I didn't think 60 second break would be enough but I did just fine. I wish I had found this thread sooner.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goo, I might have to delay my week 5. I've got a cold and am getting winded pretty quick. Was able to do 35/14(short break)14/8.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    W2D2 (redo)

16/13/11/11/25 (min 15)

Hell yeah.

I feel pumped.

Dac on
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    W5D1: Duuuude, I barely cleared it. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

Glocjt on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been trying to get back into this program for a couple of weeks now, but my shoulder is really messed up. I'm trying to strengthen it as much as I can, and hopefully I can start again next week or the week after.

It's really frustrating, as I was doing so bloody well when I hurt myself... ARRRGGGGHHH!!!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So after having had a couple epic failures last time I tried to go week 5, I decided to try something a little different.

I'm redoing week 4 again, but this time in the third column.

27/20/20/17/arms gave out

Ugh. I think this is a better spot for me to be than attempting week 5, but still got a bit to go before I'm back where I was before getting sick.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, probably a good idea - I finished W4D3 handily enough, and got progress on my max, but W5D1 just about kicked my ass.

Glocjt on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just did W1D1 10/10/8/6/8

What would've happened if I couldn't make the minimum of 7 for the last set? Would I have still gone on to day 2 or keep doing day 1 until I could do the 7?

This structure is nice, keeps me on task.

Underdog on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    After moving from a rental house into an apartment and having to get rid of my weight set, I converted a couple of dumbbell grips into pushup bars by mounting them to 2x4s. It lets me really crank out pushups. I'll start this system tomorrow.

Doc on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finished W6D3: 18/18/16/16/14/14/12/12/40

I'm converting the system to do sit-ups as well so I'm basically on a system of one day of situps, one day of pushups. Hell I might as well use the system for other things as well.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm converting the system to do sit-ups as well so I'm basically on a system of one day of situps, one day of pushups. Hell I might as well use the system for other things as well.

Except in general things involving the abs are much easier. I'd say using this system is fine at first, but maybe after a bit you should scale it up. For instance turn some days into doubles or something. I dunno.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    W4D1 (yesterday) went sort of ok, but I failed out on the last set. Second attempt tomorrow. I've been shitty-no-energy-zombie-Cat all week, though...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man I am really confused. Monday I did W1D1 and I swear I followed it exactly and the spreadsheet shows a lot of other people did exactly the same as I did, but looking today (to do my day 2) it shows a different week one. What the hell?

Oh well. W1D2 10/12/8/8/20 (minimum 12)

Holy hell do I feel great!

Edit: and it looks like my numbers are completely different from everyone else for W1D2. What the fuck is going on?

And same for day 3! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY BRAIN!?

Edit AGAIN: The guy changed the workout on me! I am doing the new modified one, and he linked to the old one at the bottom. It says limited time, so I guess I might as well stick with the new one. Whatever.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ohhh I get the feeling we're supposed to contact TehSpectre if we want in. Is this true?

Underdog on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Underdog wrote: »
    Ohhh I get the feeling we're supposed to contact TehSpectre if we want in. Is this true?

No, you fill in the google spreadsheet.

the google spreadsheet

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thank you!

My triceps are so damn sore. Dunno how i'm going to do day 2. Might have to do week 1 twice.

Underdog on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man I am really confused. Monday I did W1D1 and I swear I followed it exactly and the spreadsheet shows a lot of other people did exactly the same as I did, but looking today (to do my day 2) it shows a different week one. What the hell?

Oh well. W1D2 10/12/8/8/20 (minimum 12)

Holy hell do I feel great!

Edit: and it looks like my numbers are completely different from everyone else for W1D2. What the fuck is going on?

And same for day 3! WHAT IS HAPPENING TO MY BRAIN!?

Edit AGAIN: The guy changed the workout on me! I am doing the new modified one, and he linked to the old one at the bottom. It says limited time, so I guess I might as well stick with the new one. Whatever.

Yeah I got confused too and was coming in to see what was going on. Guess I'll do the new one too.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Except in general things involving the abs are much easier. I'd say using this system is fine at first, but maybe after a bit you should scale it up. For instance turn some days into doubles or something. I dunno.

That's true although I am notoriously bad with situps. By week 3 I might start doubles but it's just another thing to ease into.

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    W1D2: 6/8/6/6/9. Movin' slooow.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have never broken 100 pushups even when I was in pretty damn good shape, so here is to breaking that 100 and seeing whats up.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So once you complete the program are you just supposed to crank out 100 every other day just to keep yourself there? What's the plan for maintenance?

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to do W2D2... week 1 was kind of easy, but I'm sure it'll get a lot harder.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hrm. The changed one for week 4 is making it a fair bit harder. Bleh.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So once you complete the program are you just supposed to crank out 100 every other day just to keep yourself there? What's the plan for maintenance?

I assume so. Or at least, 100 every other day. Maybe just keep doing week 6 over and over?

I have to do week 1 over again. I'm supposed to do w1d2 but damn, the muscles are still too sore from day 1. So tomorrow I'll do day 2 and then rest up the weekend. Monday I'll do week 1 from the beginning and hopefully build up some steam.

Edit: Wait, if I have to max out each day, aren't I always going to be sore? How do you guys recover with just 1 day of rest between "work" days? Or do you just do the day, sore or not sore?

Underdog on
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Once I hit 100 I branched out into other workouts. Worked pretty well for about a month or so until I completely fell off the wagon. Time to start up again I guess!

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Muscle soreness doesn't stick around...unless it's muscle injury. And even the soreness from the initial workout or two mostly goes away once your muscles are warmed up. At least in my experience. :P

Glocjt on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Two times a week I do a bit more than the old week six set (day one and two, respectively) I also rock climb once a week. I haven't tested to see what my max is in a couple weeks but last I checked it's about 110.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

I assume so. Or at least, 100 every other day. Maybe just keep doing week 6 over and over?

I have to do week 1 over again. I'm supposed to do w1d2 but damn, the muscles are still too sore from day 1. So tomorrow I'll do day 2 and then rest up the weekend. Monday I'll do week 1 from the beginning and hopefully build up some steam.

Edit: Wait, if I have to max out each day, aren't I always going to be sore? How do you guys recover with just 1 day of rest between "work" days? Or do you just do the day, sore or not sore?

When first starting up with this, you might be pretty sore pretty constantly. However, by the time the program was done, I wasn't sore the next day I had to crank out a few sets.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Oh hey I should try this. I was doing my own thing similarly but not really as structured before I found out about this and got myself up to 30-40, depending on the day.

bombardier on
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ok so I notice that some of the weeks are now modified, can anyone find a reason for it? looking around the site, I can't see anything.

seems like w4d1 is harder now, the final set is at least 32! plus the total went from 111 to 120.

will have to start w4 over to see how I do.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    All right, I guess it's just taking so long to completely fade because I haven't done any upper body training for about a year now.

Underdog on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll be back up and at it again on Monday. I'm now over my cold. :D

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Since he changed the system (the jump from week2->3 doesn't really exist anymore) I did W2D3 once more, and will do exhaustion test on Sunday/Monday.

16/17/14/14/29 (min 19)

Dac on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I had a surprisingly rough time getting through W1D2, but I did it. I think this would be easier if I were a smaller person. I'm not overweight, just big: 6'6", 235.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    W1D3: 8/10/7/7/12. It's amazing how much easier this feels after just five days. My shoulder hasn't burst from its socket yet, so if week two goes this smoothly, I may start over without the bench.

wasted pixels on