As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CRY ON] This is actually the TF2 thread if you didn't know (56K ARE BABY)

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    They make bullets curve not fly in a straight line. The comic book was a lot better than the movie.

IRL sniper lag FTW?

Also, whoever kept killing me last night while I was trying to Hadoken Flippy, cut that shit out. :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait what.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now then, I have a question for all you rocket jumpers, how do you do the side rocket jump? I remember somebody saying a while back that if you shoot the rocket to the side instead of straight down in front of you, you could get more distance, and that you could even get as high as a straight down rocket jump but taking less damage. I know the basic stuff, crouch when you jump, and I can make it to the top of GravelPit C just fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this "side rocket jump". I tried practicing it on a little personal practice server and I just couldn't get any consistency with it.

Ya it can be a bit tricky. First practice the backwards rocket jump. Instead of making yourself fly forward make yourself fly backwards. Doing this you can go alot farther horizontally.

Really rocket jumping in any direction is just where you shoot your rocket. Until you get the hang of the rocket timing don't turn your head after you shot the rocket. The man problem I use to have would be I would try to turn so I was facing the right way instead of making sure my rocket was fired at the proper angle. Once you get the rocket firing angle down turn mid jump instead of right after you fire. (My turning stuff only has to do with the mouse you still have to point the right directions with the WASD keys)

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to just practice this. I think I'm having the same problem, of trying to face the right way instead of making sure my rocket was fired at the proper angle. It's just kind of disorienting, turning around, crouch jumping while holding down S, firing at my butt (45 degree angle?), then switching to W as I turn around. I'll need to practice it a lot.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am going to post some screenshots. Again, I cheat and sharpen in Photoshop.
    screenie5.jpg
    screenie6.jpg
    screenie7.jpg
    screenie8.jpg
    (I like this one because it looks like a spontaneous dance party to me.)
    screenie9.jpg

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Wait what.

Yes you. I snuck up behind/beside you several times on GravelPit, got about halfway through the windup, and then I'd get assraped by some hypercaffienated Scout who crit-scatterguns me.

And the one time I actually got the fireball out you fucking strafed out of range :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hankies,

Just play a whole lot of soldier and practice it a lot. I don't play soldier often, but I rocket jump as much as I can, and now it's second nature.

Keep practicing.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    bottom paged like a motherfucker

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I saw it Sara.

Doesn't mean I cared though.
    <3

I kid, good screens

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Now then, I have a question for all you rocket jumpers, how do you do the side rocket jump? I remember somebody saying a while back that if you shoot the rocket to the side instead of straight down in front of you, you could get more distance, and that you could even get as high as a straight down rocket jump but taking less damage. I know the basic stuff, crouch when you jump, and I can make it to the top of GravelPit C just fine, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this "side rocket jump". I tried practicing it on a little personal practice server and I just couldn't get any consistency with it.
    I highly doubt you will get "as high as a straight down rocketjump", but you don't usually need the maximum height you can possibly get. I think most 2nd story jumps will be at about 70% of however high your maxed out rocketjump will take you, so having a little more angle than usual can be beneficial (less damage & more forward motion while in the air).

For lateral jumps, you can use the same timing that you do with a regular rocketjump (for crouching, jumping, & firing), but try firing the rocket at modified angles away from your feet and test the results. Obviously there is a point far enough away from your feet such that you'll fire and it won't launch you at all, so find that point and then play around with shooting the rocket somewhere between that distance and directly downward.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Demoman: I'm still can't get the hang of aiming pipes at people. Half of me is still in beta mode, when the pipes exploded on bounces. (And my stickies don't seem to do much damage)

You have to learn to use the stickies as your primary weapon. Here are some demoman tips that I go by(most of the time):

1.)Learn the amount of stickes it takes to kill each player.

2.)Learn to lead players with stickies. Look at their path and calculate when they are going to be and where your sticky should be to kill them when they get there.

3.)Learn to charge your stickies at the right times. Most demomen don't know you can shoot a sticky almost all the way across a map. (The best it so watch an injured enemy flee, Then you start changing the sticky, fire it, and hit them halfway across the map with a stickie they didnt think would reach them.)

3.)If you see a crit sticky come out when firing and its near someone in the air, detonate it before it hits the ground. 90% of the time its a kill.

4.)Stay moving always. Once you get 5 to 6 kills in a minute, people will get pissed and make it a mission to kill you, and its especiallly easy for them if you are camping the same place, especally for spies.

5.)If you arn't firing you should be reloading nonstop. Always keep your ammo full.

6.)Don't make sticky traps that you are going to have to wait for longer than 15 sec to use. I will watch so many demomen on gravelpit as start off a round on defence sticking a point and just waiting for mintutes to kill someone or they will sticky a doorway and sit there forever before they get a kill. You could have gotten so many more kill doing something more useful w/ them.

7.)Use the pipes more as a spam when you see people running out of a doorway at long distances (although I hate doing that). Also use pipes to annoy snipers, it funny they never see them when they roll up next to their feet :lol:.

8.) Learn to sticky jump to great heights and sticking down on people and detonate before you hit the ground (it good to be overcharged before doing this). This method really throws people off and if you get a crit sticky in the mix, oh god, you will do some damage. This method is also really good to do if you can learn to use it on snipers. They will never see you coming. (if you get really good you can bottle them one you land)

9.) Learn to pipe jump into hallways (ie gravelpit when on defence). It takes away less health.

I could keep going but this message is too long already. Hope this helps. We have some other really great demomen that Im sure could add something too.

Hey You on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Shoot at mans.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Never underestimate the power of a quick stickyjump away from an enemy, provided you have enough health. If a scout or a pyro is bearing down on you and you don't have time/ammo to drop a couple of stickies to kill him, just use one and get the hell away.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Last night was the first time I have played Medic for more than a round since the medic update. Now I remember why I love the class so much. I think it will be my main for a while again.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh Josiah.

I shot you in particular so many times last night. I felt bad.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I highly doubt you will get "as high as a straight down rocketjump", but you don't usually need the maximum height you can possibly get. I think most 2nd story jumps will be at about 70% of however high your maxed out rocketjump will take you, so having a little more angle than usual can be beneficial (less damage & more forward motion while in the air).

For lateral jumps, you can use the same timing that you do with a regular rocketjump (for crouching, jumping, & firing), but try firing the rocket at modified angles away from your feet and test the results. Obviously there is a point far enough away from your feet such that you'll fire and it won't launch you at all, so find that point and then play around with shooting the rocket somewhere between that distance and directly downward.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that getting as high as a straight down rocket jump thing as well, I remember there being some back and forth over it. I've got the pattern of rocket jumping down, but as soon as I'm turning to shoot another direction, and I'm trying to keep myself moving in the direction I want to go, I get all disoriented. I guess it's one of those things I just have to keep on trying until I get the hang of it. Hmm... Holding a direction after I blast off doesn't change my trajectory at all, does it? Like, after I rocket jump, and I try to hold s to go backwards, it's not going to do anything is it? I was just thinking about that, it may make it a little easier if I'm not trying to fast swap at the moment of rocket launching.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm getting into a bad habit of neglecting my stickies, because hitting players with pipebombs is so satisfying I want to do it all the time.

Must use stickies more. :(

To be fair I focus more on having fun than actually honing skill, so, meh.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    I'm getting into a bad habit of neglecting my stickies, because hitting players with pipebombs is so satisfying I want to do it all the time.

Must use stickies more. :(

And ________ ___________?

Answer:
    Sticky Jump

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have been trying to sticky jump but I am not that good at it yet.

I go more vertical than I do horizontal.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think I'm going to keep noscoping until I can kill flippy.

I need a goal in this game, and I think that's a good one.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Oh Josiah.

I shot you in particular so many times last night. I felt bad.

between you and Ed I remembered why I hate/love snipers. Mostly hate.
    I suck

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Make sure you're in front of the bomb instead of on top of it, and give it a little jump before you go.

I always overdo it and die, so thats a problem needing fixing.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The question is, did you have to look at the spoiler box to know the answer?

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No I did not.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

You've just got to wait a fraction of a second longer when running over your sticky so that you explode it when your virtual heels are either the only part on the sticky or just slightly past the sticky.

I usually know I've done gewd when I can blast myself past the full health pack on gold rush stage 1, cap 1 - launching directly out of the spawn gate.

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope I'll find a class soon which I feel good at.

Playing a medic because no one else is doing it and that being the only worthwhile thing I do for the team can get slightly boring after like 2 rounds.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Like, after I rocket jump, and I try to hold s to go backwards, it's not going to do anything is it? I was just thinking about that, it may make it a little easier if I'm not trying to fast swap at the moment of rocket launching.

Sure it does. If you are in the air the direction you hold down is the direction you go. I know that isn't really how a physics engine should work but you can definately move a different direction in the air.

I guess I could be wrong but I always feel like I move whichever way I hold down.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For Demo I actually went with stickies as primary for a while but switched back to pipes as my primary and stickies for specific situations. They key is really to learn how to aim on the pipes, when you can drop a moving scout in two pipe bombs you know you have it (I've done this a few times, feels great). Learning to sticky jump well is another big key, being able to get to the top of C on gravel pit on a jump is so handy.

I also take the approach of not running away from close combat, half my deaths probably come from blowing myself up because I step into the combat and keep shooting my pipes. I'll take a death if I take out the guy in front of me.

Learning how to play the angles is handy too. Can't get at that hidden sentry? Bounce pipes off the wall or a the edge of a doorway.

A lot of what I do might not be the best way to go about learning to play demo, but I do alright like this.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Like, after I rocket jump, and I try to hold s to go backwards, it's not going to do anything is it? I was just thinking about that, it may make it a little easier if I'm not trying to fast swap at the moment of rocket launching.

Sure it does. If you are in the air the direction you hold down is the direction you go. I know that isn't really how a physics engine should work but you can definately move a different direction in the air.

I guess I could be wrong but I always feel like I move whichever way I hold down.

I think looking in the direction as well as holding down the WASD key helps too. I know for a fact I can sticky jump around multiple corners so it's possible to switch direction slightly in mid air.

Rebellion on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

That's not quite how it works. I'd not be the best to try and explain it, but holding WASD does effect your direction/momentum, as well as moving your mouse in conjunction with that.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Having fun... bah... over-rated. Im all serious... :x

It takes awhile, but one day sticky jumping will just click and you will go oh my god it makes sence now.

This diagram on sticky jumping might help. The demoman is trying to jump from left to right. The X represents his sticky. The line represents the ground. The O's represent the demoman and where he should be when he detonates his sticky. So you must jump, be slightly ahead of this sticky in the air, and hold crouch in the air over the sticky, and detonate.

)))))))))))))))))))))O
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OO

))))))))))))))X
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Hey You on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey You wrote: »

It takes awhile, but one day sticky jumping will just click and you will go oh my god it makes sence now.

This diagram on sticky jumping might help. The demoman is trying to jump from left to right. The X represents his sticky. The line represents the ground. The O's represent the demoman and where he should be when he detonates his sticky. So you must jump, be slightly ahead of this sticky in the air, and hold crouch in the air over the sticky, and detonate.

)))))))))))))))))))))O
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OO

))))))))))))))X

Crouching gets you more distance but you still get a pretty good jump without it, I usually don't crouch.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »

)))))))))))))))))))))O
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OO

))))))))))))))X

Crouching gets you more distance but you still get a pretty good jump without it, I usually don't crouch.

Aha! Thanks HeyY. I'd actually gotten the hang of sticky jumping pretty well, but didn't know that crouching got you a little more distance.

Edit: although, now that I think about it I almost always crouch when I jump anyway (CS habit).

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

)))))))))))))))))))))O
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO @==E
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OO

))))))))))))))X

@==E represents my crit rocket

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

)))))))))))))))))))))O
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO @==E
    ))))))))))))))))))OOO
    ))))))))))))))))))OO

))))))))))))))X

@==E represents my dong rocket

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I love sniping demos or soldiers right before they boom-jump, causing them to suicide.

So satisfying.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    @==E represents my dong rocket

No it is aimed at the stomach not the face.

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rebellion wrote: »

I think looking in the direction as well as holding down the WASD key helps too. I know for a fact I can sticky jump around multiple corners so it's possible to switch direction slightly in mid air.

Oh shi- Guess I was wrong, I'll have to keep all this in mind when I try playing soldier again, which I almost never, but I'd still like to know how to do these things.

Thanks again everyone.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    For those of you having issues with your crouch+jump timing, you could try this script I use:
    //Highjump
    alias "+jumpeh" "+jump; +duck"
    alias "-jumpeh" "-duck; -jump"
    bind "space" "+jumpeh"

By default it binds to your space bar (jump) and it will perform a crouch+jump when you hit it. I've decided to use it because there's basically never a time I need to just jump and not crouch but countless times to crouch+jump to get on to objects or rocket/sticky jump.

If you absolutely can't get that to work for you, there's always this one that does everything for you except run over the sticky:
    alias +pipejump "+jump;+duck;wait 3;+attack2"
    alias -pipejump "-jump;-duck;wait 3;-attack2"
    bind mouse4 "+pipejump"

Anyway, give it a shot.

Rebellion on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Or... Just be a man and learn how to do it...

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Or you could, y'know, teach yourself the skill properly.

/does not approve

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png