As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey, Domo-kun > JMS Superman.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neil Gaiman wrote most of Death's lines for the upcoming Action #894, so sayeth Cornell.

That's something positive in the Superman world, right?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey.

I've got a friend who is looking for a good Superman story in which Supes really cuts loose and lays into some dudes. Are there any modern (and good) stories in which Superman doesn't hold back anything at all and goes full force? Neither he or I could think of anything like that except for maybe Infinite Crisis when he's fighting Superboy Prime. And Prime is a pretty lame villain so that doesn't really count.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hey.

I've got a friend who is looking for a good Superman story in which Supes really cuts loose and lays into some dudes. Are there any modern (and good) stories in which Superman doesn't hold back anything at all and goes full force? Neither he or I could think of anything like that except for maybe Infinite Crisis when he's fighting Superboy Prime. And Prime is a pretty lame villain so that doesn't really count.

Justice League Unlimited?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He's specifically looking for a comic. I think he already owns all of JLU on BluRay and has seen it all. And I think that's partially why he wants to read a comic where that happens.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Our Worlds at War would be what he wants to read. And they released an Omnibus of the story that you could find for under 20 bucks on amazon.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Neil Gaiman wrote most of Death's lines for the upcoming Action #894, so sayeth Cornell.

Cornell's Action Comics run in general has been positive.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Creepy Lois robot aside.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The creepy Lois robot is great. At first I was like "What the fuck is going on." Then I found out it was a robot. And now I think its really ironic. Not only does the guy have a massive hate-on for Superman, but he also has a crush on Superman's wife. Its just so poetic.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    He's always had a thing for Lois, ever since COIE.

And the great thing the writers used to do was when Clark and Lex would meet, and Clark would have to go off save the world, Lex saw that as him being the superior one and that it would only be a matter of time until Lois came running to him. It was a nice way to feed Luthor's ego while the reader laughs at him.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Action Comics is one of the few books that I like a lot right now. I know it's not perfect, but it's fun, feels fresh, and I have no idea what's going to happen.

Lux on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think it's kinda unnecessary. But it's neat.

MastaP on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, really noobish question, but Action Comics is a decidedly Superman/Super family oriented book, much like detective comics and batman, right? Also, I've finally started picking up current releases of comics, but it's been decidedly batman oriented. I've been told nothing good is going on right now with superman, but are current action comics worth it? I would like to start pulling in something superman related.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Action Comics is about Lex Luthor right now, and it's pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Action Comics is about Lex Luthor right now, and it's pretty good.

Sounds good...also reading some older posts I saw this...
    I actually liked that part in the DC era, early 2000's, where Joker showed up a lot more in Metropolis and Luthor was becoming a villain for Bruce Wayne in businessman vs. businessman after No Man's Land.

I would love somebody forever if they could point to any trades/issues of this. For reference, I've read most of the superman trades from that era (no limits, endgame, critical condition, emperor joker, president lex, worlds at war, ending battle) as well as morrison's run on JLA. I'm particularly interested in any superman vs joker stuff out there...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Argh that Absolute All-Star Superman edition coming out next month is beckoning me. Anyone else here getting it? It's a bit steep at $100 retail for only 12 issues but you do get some extra content.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it has some really slick extras, I'll probably buy it. $67 through Amazon isn't too terrible, for what would make a really nice coffee table book.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    If it has some really slick extras, I'll probably buy it. $67 through Amazon isn't too terrible, for what would make a really nice coffee table book.

I think you just get a sketchbook but if it's a never-before-seen one then I guess that's worth it. I don't know, If I wait then I won't be able to get it till around March and I'm afraid it might be out of print by then. And I have some other stuff I want to get I haven't read yet and usually that takes priority but dammit this is All-Star Superman we're talking about.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Olorin wrote: »
    I actually liked that part in the DC era, early 2000's, where Joker showed up a lot more in Metropolis and Luthor was becoming a villain for Bruce Wayne in businessman vs. businessman after No Man's Land.

I would love somebody forever if they could point to any trades/issues of this. For reference, I've read most of the superman trades from that era (no limits, endgame, critical condition, emperor joker, president lex, worlds at war, ending battle) as well as morrison's run on JLA. I'm particularly interested in any superman vs joker stuff out there...

You've read the Superman trades that had some of this, but there was also the last volumes of the Batman event No Man's Land that dealt with Luthor trying to remove Wayne as the big cheese in Gotham (and was done with the purpose of getting him ready to run for President).

There was also a two-part crossover in Superman #168 and Detective #756 that deals with Lois hiring Bruce to steal Luthor's Kryptonite ring that he kept when he first took over as President. It's more of a Batman vs. Luthor type story, but still follows up on that scene in the President Lex trade where Batman threatens Luthor about that ring.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Action Comics #893 upped some of the creepyness with the fembot:
    Lois records Grodd's voice saying "your Master" for voice recognition access, but Luthor says he likes it and Lois goes "I'll keep it on file for later."

ewwwwwwww

And Death shows up on the last page, since Grodd "killed" Luthor with a laser blast to the chest, from which he falls out of a helicopter and down a cliff like Homer Simpson.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Action Comics #893 upped some of the creepyness with the fembot:
    Lois records Grodd's voice saying "your Master" for voice recognition access, but Luthor says he likes it and Lois goes "I'll keep it on file for later."

ewwwwwwww

And Death shows up on the last page, since Grodd "killed" Luthor with a laser blast to the chest, from which he falls out of a helicopter and down a cliff like Homer Simpson.

Lex Luthor is having some awesome adventures.

Also Jimmy Olsen had a story where they introduced a character who's basically Lex Luthor's pal as a villain, and Chloe Sullivan is now officially in the main DC universe, for those who care.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would really dig Lex Luthor's Pal or whatever that would be called. Not that Lex really HAS friends, but I'd love to see how they could make it work.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would really dig Lex Luthor's Pal or whatever that would be called. Not that Lex really HAS friends, but I'd love to see how they could make it work.

Probably a lot like what happened with his love interest in the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel mini.
    You see hints of genuine affection from Lex, but his all-consuming ambition and disdain for Superman causes him to regard even his closest relationships as entirely expendable.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's not actually Luthor's Pal, per se. He's a douchebag who happens to be the "fastest-rising junior executive in Lexcorp history." Olsen says he's "the Biff to my Marty, the Leno to my Conan, the parents to my just don't understand." Or whatever.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, Grodd is evil. The way he tries to eat Robo-Lois!

Lux on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah Grodd has never been anything but a complete monstrous asshole.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Olorin wrote: »

You've read the Superman trades that had some of this, but there was also the last volumes of the Batman event No Man's Land that dealt with Luthor trying to remove Wayne as the big cheese in Gotham (and was done with the purpose of getting him ready to run for President).

There was also a two-part crossover in Superman #168 and Detective #756 that deals with Lois hiring Bruce to steal Luthor's Kryptonite ring that he kept when he first took over as President. It's more of a Batman vs. Luthor type story, but still follows up on that scene in the President Lex trade where Batman threatens Luthor about that ring.

Ah, thanks Texiken. I have read No Man's Land. I'll have to check out those two issues you mentioned though, sound pretty cool. But I was really wondering more about superman/joker stuff. Obviously, Emperor Joker is a good example, but I was more looking for situations where non omniscient Joker is causing shennanigans in Metropolis. Even better if it involves a Bats/Supes teamup.

Also, random question. I was reading Up,Up and Away (which is awesome), but I was wondering...what ever happened to the Braniac 13 upgraded Metropolis? Metropolis seems like it's back to normal in this trade, though I'm merely basing this on the artwork, so maybe nothing happened. Obviously there is a large time gap between superman trades I have read and up up and away, so I figured something probably happened during that period.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Some other good Joker issues, while not involving the Joker per se, would be the Superman issues that tied into Joker: Las Laugh. It was a line wide event where Joker found out he was dying, and decided to go out with a bang and uses Joker Gas on people (do not buy the main Joker: Last Laugh series, as it was terrible and editorial changed everything because they wussed out on killing the Joker).

Those issues for Superman would be:

Superman #175 (Joker Gas'd Doomsday)
    Adventures of Superman #597 (good issue, President Luthor infected with Joker Gas)
    Superman: Man of Steel #119 (Superman and Krypto fight gas'd Eradicator)
    Action Comics #784 (Superman and Batman deal with GL Kyle being hopped up on gas while wearing the ring)
    Superboy #93 (The Creeper gets gas'd but becomes serious)

As far as the B13 tech, this was resolved right before Jim Lee's Superman run, with Superman #198-200, which was Steven Seagle's short lived Superman run from #190-200. They basically gave the Superman books a clean slate for Lee's run, meaning Metropolis literally being the city of tomorrow had to go away. That run is actually very good, and even gave us a Supergirl who was from the future and was actually Lois and Clark's daughter. If you liked the stories from the trades you read, I think Seagle's would impress you as well, since he's kind of like Joe Kelly only more story oriented and less comedy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Lex totally does have a pal. His name is Otis.

otis.gif

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is exactly who I thought of when this discussion started. <3 Otis.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Costa Del Lex. Luthorville. Marina del Lex. Otisburg... Otisburg?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And y'know, Birthright had a throwaway reference to Miss Tessmacher in it IIRC.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There was an Otis person in Luthor's cabinet when he was President. Nathaniel "Mac" Mackelvany. It was actually Martian Manhunter keeping an eye on him for the JLA and Luthor knew it all along.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I was thinking of going to my LCBS to pick up some of the more recent Action Comics. I was wondering what a good jumping on point would be. Perhaps where the current Luthor stuff starts?

Maratastik on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2010
    yeah

the stuff before that was from the World of New Krypton storyline which pretty much erased itself at the end

Geoff John's run (especially Braniac and Legion of Super-Heroes) is awesome, too

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    yeah

the stuff before that was from the World of New Krypton storyline which pretty much erased itself at the end

Geoff John's run (especially Braniac and Legion of Super-Heroes) is awesome, too

Do you happen to have an issue number for it? If not I'll just look when I get there.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    issues 858-870 are the best of Johns' run. There's a Toyman story in there that isn't really good but you might as well see Johns retcon a Superman villain instead of a Flash or GL one.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    issues 858-870 are the best of Johns' run. There's a Toyman story in there that isn't really good but you might as well see Johns retcon a Superman villain instead of a Flash or GL one.

So is that the current Luther arc that everyone is talking about?

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Luthor run starts with #890, and #893 just came out this week.

Action Comics has had a really rough time the past 5 years. The closest it had to a regular run was the Johns issues I mentioned above, the rest were fill-ins and short lived teams replacing other short lived teams or tieing into that World of New Krypton story that just threw away a lot of potential.

I'd also recommend issues #827-835, as that was a Gail Simone/John Byrne run right before Infinite Crisis that was a lot of fun.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Luthor run starts with #890, and #893 just came out this week.

Action Comics has had a really rough time the past 5 years. The closest it had to a regular run was the Johns issues I mentioned above, the rest were fill-ins and short lived teams replacing other short lived teams or tieing into that World of New Krypton story that just threw away a lot of potential.

I'd also recommend issues #827-835, as that was a Gail Simone/John Byrne run right before Infinite Crisis that was a lot of fun.

All right, thanks for the info. I will check those out. Thanks a lot!

Maratastik on