As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Thread: CEs Betaning NOW on the A server! Or some of us are.

• Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Oops, you took me out of context ;x

I was just saying this game is a pile of shit because I never got into the Beta.

and checked the update thing everyday for like

three months? or three weeks? whatever. screw them.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hillean wrote: »
    And Jaeff--compared to the WoW launch, I'm already finding WAR to be more server-stable.

I don't know if you played WoW at launch, but the servers were buggy as FUCK.

I remember when you were looting stuff at WoW launch you'd get stuck in the "kneeling" position.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    And Jaeff--compared to the WoW launch, I'm already finding WAR to be more server-stable.

I remember when you were looting stuff at WoW launch you'd get stuck in the "kneeling" position.

Yes, the wonderful Loot Lag. You'd be skirting around the map in the kneeling position, couldn't loot other corpses, would always revert to kneeling, couldn't log out...

Oh it was wonderous. :P

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

At... launch?

This happened to me yesterday.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This happened to me yesterday.

LIES AND SLANDER

WOW IS PERFECT DON'T SHATTER THE BUBBLE

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Am I a masochist for actually wanting to play a game at launch? My best experience was DaoC. I was in college living in a run down house with a bunch of nerds. I don't remember being in a beta and just remember everything be new, exciting and hectic. Was good times. Some of the best part was lowbie pvp just because people could since there were no highbies around.

WoW was decent, but I had been in the beta before hand and was playing the same class in retail as I had in beta, so obviously it was kind of boring.

I will probably wait and see on WAR. I expect good things and I need to read up on it more. Eagerly waiting the NDA to fall.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    I don't understand this. Hey, I can't wait for the game and am stupidly overly excited, but I don't think I could take people's opinions and get so insulted by them. Who cares if they think the game is terrible? Some of their reasons may be justified and some may be down right silly. Why downplay their opinions like they are morons?

Someone posted the reasoning for this earlier.

The people who dislike it are disregarding the NDA and giving every reason they feel to bash the game.

Anyone who wants to come to the game's rescue wants to STAY in the beta, so they are having to hold their tongues and keep to the NDA.

So people can become discouraged with the game, since they're just hearing info from the nay-sayers, and not hearing about all the good shit.

Why I do agree with this statement, I also think that there will be a fair share of negative opinions that will come out after NDA drops.

Im more worried about when the NDA will drop as opposed to what is going to be said when it drops. But were not even a month out yet so lotsa time.

I made up my mind about this game a while ago but decided to respect the NDA for a while longer, now that I saw the CE people will get to play this soon-ish and other testers are breaking the NDA left and right I felt like I could give my opinion about WAR as well and give my account away so someone else could see for him/herself.

I try my best to ignore the parts that were going to change at launch even though they are not good in their current state, it's useless to whine about something that will not be in the finished product anyway. Anyway, I'm trying to be honest here and not screw over Mythic too much.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Like honestly, even robothero wants to play a warrior priest.

Sigmar himself is enough marketing to carry the entire Order side, I don't know why they left that resource untapped.

<3 robot.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    OK, so I finally pre-ordered. Entered in my code for open beta access. I recently changed my e-mail address. The address that the beta center has no longer exists. I changed it in the Account Management screen, but I can't find anywhere to change it in the Beta Center; I've my other contact information but there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the Beta Center to change e-mail.

So, is this a problem? I'm assuming that information about downloading for the beta will go to that address which no longer exists.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As it's not the 15th, your Open Beta Access code should not work yet.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm just throwing in my random opinion here, but I side with Morskittar that the game DOES feel like Warhammer to me. I, like Mors, am a giant nerd for Warhammer. (or at least I was, I carried that nerddom into actually working for Games Workshop for two years and am currently recovering from the vitriolic hate for all things GW that produced.)

But, I have spent countless hours actually arguing things like, "Is Fantasy a planet in the Warp in 40k?" "Sigmar is a Chaos God, nuh uh!" etc. with customers while thinking about choking them to death with a ruler, a.k.a. I feel pretty versed in the lore, and I feel comfortable with the Warhammerness of the game.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm just throwing in my random opinion here, but I side with Morskittar that the game DOES feel like Warhammer to me. I, like Mors, am a giant nerd for Warhammer. (or at least I was, I carried that nerddom into actually working for Games Workshop for two years and am currently recovering from the vitriolic hate for all things GW that produced.)

But, I have spent countless hours actually arguing things like, "Is Fantasy a planet in the Warp in 40k?" "Sigmar is a Chaos God, nuh uh!" etc. with customers while thinking about choking them to death with a ruler, a.k.a. I feel pretty versed in the lore, and I feel comfortable with the Warhammerness of the game.

this reminded me of the time one of my space marine drop pods misfired and landed on a fantasy board while people were playing. needless to say a bunch of vampire counts and bretonians met their end in bolter fire.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »

this reminded me of the time one of my space marine drop pods misfired and landed on a fantasy board while people were playing. needless to say a bunch of vampire counts and bretonians met their end in bolter fire.

Now I can enjoy your story, but when I worked there I hated you so much for telling me that. ;P I think it's just because the company treats you like crap, but I came out of that job with some serious disgruntlement.

Which for some reason reminds me of a great guild name which won't work out as well anymore, "Get to ze Choppa!" Someone recommended, "What Would Sigmar Do?" for the PA Order guild, and while I love it so much, I have a feeling that guild will exist on every single server.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    its a penny arcade guild, you need to have something to do with penny arcade in your name or the name sucks

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    its a penny arcade guild, you need to have something to do with penny arcade in your name or the name sucks

I also agree with that assessment. Right now not many people are saying they want to participate, though, so I'm giving weight to those people who are vocal participants. I've got... what, like 7 Penny Arcade guys saying they want an Order guild? Are there a bunch of people just not vocalizing, or are we really that limited right now?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As it's not the 15th, your Open Beta Access code should not work yet.

I was able to enter it, and have "Warhammer Pre Order" listed in the Current Associations. But that's for the old e-mail. Once the beta e-mails are sent out tomorrow, though, they'll get sent to my old address that no longer exists.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm in beta, but I'll wait until retail until final judgment. I'm not really trying to enjoy myself right now, I'm testing. Most of my time in WAR is spent jumping into the corners where rocks or other debris meet hills or mountains to see if I get killed by geometry bugs. It's frustrating, but its what I want to do so that the launch version of the game is bug free as possible.

I'm confidant that WAR will be a great MMO, but I admit that the old familiar call of WotLK will have me coming back to WoW for at least a little while. Which game I keep playing after that will all boil down to which game I'm having for fun in. I absolutely loathe PvP in WoW, but am I really a PvP gamer? Which game will all my friends be playing? Sometimes I forget just how much I think WoW is the best MMO around right now, and I honestly don't know which game will win out for my attention 6 months down the road...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    playing with friends is always a large motivator for me which is why i am trying to hook up with the mouths as quickly as possible. i have a feeling that my friends roots are too deep into WoW to try anything else.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my friends will all be in age of conan, or warhammer.

if you have to think for more than a minute about which game is going to be the better long term choice you have other mental issues.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    my friends will all be in age of conan, or warhammer.

if you have to think for more than a minute about which game is going to be the better long term choice you have other mental issues.

Robot, am I your friend?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No. You are all dead to me.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    the Mexican-stand-off-ish PvP

I want to address this issue right now.

A lot of the beta players are retards. It's that simple. A lot of people, and I do mean a lot, just want to sit there in a big pile of friendlies and go around and zerg. So, in prime time, you get this huge ass zerg on the Order side and this huge ass zerg on the Destruction side and often times they end up meeting in a zone some place and just sit there, staring at each other.

Eventually you get one or two lone 'heroes' who think they are John McCain and run off into the middle of the enemy and get themselves killed. Then you get the impatient people who run off into the middle of the enemy and get themselves killed. Eventually this happens enough times on one side that the other can then bum rush the left-overs, beating them back until finally they moved the line so far back that now the other side has more players and start winning over territory again. Rinse, repeat.

That is the problem with playing with pubbies, and that is the problem with huge ass zergs. No strategy, no thought, no fun.

Do I care about any of this? Not really. Why? Because if you place yourself into a guild or group of players that knows what they are doing then the combat becomes much more dynamic and fun. A lot of the RvR areas have a bunch of ways to get to or around the enemy. No one in those huge ass zergs thinks to break off and flank the enemy from behind. No one in those huge zergs thinks about the enemy position and how they can exploit it. Instead they sit there in these huge ass zergs. It's stupid.

Your enjoyment of WAR RvR is going to depend on what you want to do. If you think sitting in the middle of a zerg and having mexican standoffs is fun, then by all means, do so. But if you want something more interesting and dynamic I suggest you find a group of players with similar interests. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed an intelligent group of players bust up a huge ass zerg due to careful planning, positioning, and a little bit of luck.

I think pvp in WAR is amazing, and is above and beyond anything you can get from WoW.

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I also agree with that assessment. Right now not many people are saying they want to participate, though, so I'm giving weight to those people who are vocal participants. I've got... what, like 7 Penny Arcade guys saying they want an Order guild? Are there a bunch of people just not vocalizing, or are we really that limited right now?

If I'm not one of those seven I'm down. I'll at the very least have a dwarf alt. And I think a lot of the TSM people will have order alts.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    belaraphon wrote: »
    playing with friends is always a large motivator for me which is why i am trying to hook up with the mouths as quickly as possible. i have a feeling that my friends roots are too deep into WoW to try anything else.

My sentiments exactly.

All of my friends are hardcore stuck in WoW--they don't raid, they basically just arena and run alts, and do their little Karazhan runs, but I got them into the AoC hype before the beta hit, they all bought it, and of course it ended up blowing total ass and they re-entered back into WoW.

I got them all Open Beta keys with the Head-Start, but who knows if any will give it a chance, or go back to that 'old familiar feeling'.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    For the record I hope you all enjoy the shit out of WAR.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have been doing that for the past year and will continue to do that until uuh.... the non-star wars bioware MMO comes out

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I agree xgalaxy. mexican standoffs happen when neither group is organized enough to pull off a successful rush or flank. Organized guilds will laugh at standoffs.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    TSM will all re-roll Order once Jewspolosion all splodes them to smithereens with his grenades of dwarven justice.

I'm all up in your capital, killin ur king.

TSM will never see Altdorf on their Chaos characters.
    All they'll ever see is the 'You have died - ressurect?" screen.
    all catchin themselves up on some barbed wire, getting mowed down by turrets, all tripping on landmines.

TSM - The 'Sploded Mooks.

Yeah, whatever we call our Order guild, you'll be all like, oh no its the order guild run away waaaaaaagh!

yeeeeah.
    all bustin out kegs of booze and spillin 40's for our homies in the streets of some inevitable city or something that we just sacked.

all takin ur shit home to our wives like haggar the horrible

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you should call the guild Haggar the Horrible

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed an intelligent group of players bust up a huge ass zerg due to careful planning, positioning, and a little bit of luck.

Are you talking about actually seeing it in the WAR beta? Or seeing it in DAOC. That was my favorite part of DAOC. Taking a small group of 8 and destroying 30 some zerglings due to them not understanding how the game works and wanting to stand together and await death.

I thought this would be impossible in WAR due to CC being very limited. Is this not true?

Shens on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You seem to be confusing CC and assist trains with skill.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No. You are all dead to me.

QQ
    If I'm not one of those seven I'm down. I'll at the very least have a dwarf alt. And I think a lot of the TSM people will have order alts.

While you are certainly welcome amongst us, TSM and the Candymancers are planning to keep alts out of the main guilds, and have "ally guilds" for alts.

Also, unless someone comes up with a good idea that is based on PA stuff soon, we're going to be the Faerie Candymancers simply because I'm already working on the real forums.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed an intelligent group of players bust up a huge ass zerg due to careful planning, positioning, and a little bit of luck.

Are you talking about actually seeing it in the WAR beta? Or seeing it in DAOC. That was my favorite part of DAOC. Taking a small group of 8 and destroying 30 some zerglings due to them not understanding how the game works and wanting to stand together and await death.

I thought this would be impossible in WAR due to CC being very limited. Is this not true?

I've seen, personally, a number of flanks (both from us and the enemy) utterly rout a force that was just happily plinking away at the other team because they didn't bother to look behind them and/or couldn't react to the flank.

Which is why whenever I see a hint of a flank coming I turn my ass around and immediately regroup because normally what causes flanks to have a high degree of success is that, the healers and other fragile people like to position themselves behind the folks that can take the damage (naturally). But when you flank and the fragile folks aren't aware of their surroundings, now they're right in the crosshairs of the opposing team to be utterly destroyed, causing panic and a quick dispersion of the main zerg.

And yes, there's CC in WAR, it's just not the "incapacitate the other guy so he can't do anything for 10-30 seconds" kind of CC.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    I've seen, personally, a number of flanks (both from us and the enemy) utterly rout a force that was just happily plinking away at the other team because they didn't bother to look behind them and/or couldn't react to the flank.

Which is why whenever I see a hint of a flank coming I turn my ass around and immediately regroup because normally what causes flanks to have a high degree of success is that, the healers and other fragile people like to position themselves behind the folks that can take the damage (naturally). But when you flank and the fragile folks aren't aware of their surroundings, now they're right in the crosshairs of the opposing team to be utterly destroyed, causing panic and a quick dispersion of the main zerg.

My favorite memory in DAoC was of sieging one of the Hyberian-held mid-level keeps with a large Midgard group, while a smaller group (containing me) set up along the road from they Hyberian entrance keep, just over the crest of a hill, in a grove of trees. I stealthed up to the road to watch for a large reinforcement group, and when they came marching up the road we slammed into them behind, while the front half of their group scattered, some heading to reinforce the main keep, the others turning to face us or run in random directions. It was exactly the sort of thing PvP games are meant for, and it was sooo rewarding.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    To prevent my inbox from fucking flooding...

I really already gave my account away, please stop asking

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Heh.

Aldo is giving away candy if you PM him.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Heh.

Aldo is giving away candy if you PM him.

pedobearpic.jpg

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    if you are in beta please contact aldo for more information!

Unknown User on
  • Options
    rtylershawrtylershaw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'll roll Order, but I'll also roll Chaos. Fuck it, as soon as Open Beta starts I'm rolling one of everything.

And Faerie Candymancers is pretty solid as guild names go, IMO. I'd be proud to call myself a Faerie Candymancer.

rtylershaw on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mythic would have a heyday with this thread right now.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.