As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musicians Thread (not music thread)

• Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bent wrote: »
    Quirk wrote: »
    some crap about my amp

i totally still need the amp

it props my door open just right

worlds best £250 doorstop

Quirk on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i'll give it back to you on saturday if you remind me to

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes music I play music.

During highschool I learned piano, voice, a lot of brass (trumpet, trombone, euphonium, piccolo, flugelhorn) and dabbled in woodwind, especially clarinet and oboe.

I studied Classical performance on Trumpet and music history, at the Queensland Conservatorium after high school but quit to perform full time in a touring funk band. Also I quit because it was a very political, elitist environment and I didn't care so much for it.
    When playing in the band I learned Bass, cuban percussion (especially congas but a little timbale as well), and a little drumkit while touring up and down the east coast of Australia four or five times.

When I was done with that I went to design college and now I'm a graphic designer for a living and haven't played any music in about 2 years. Although I recently started learning the ukulele.

#pipe on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    #pipe wrote: »
    Yes music I play music.

During highschool I learned piano, voice, a lot of brass (trumpet, trombone, euphonium, piccolo, flugelhorn) and dabbled in woodwind, especially clarinet and oboe.

I studied Classical performance on Trumpet and music history, at the Queensland Conservatorium after high school but quit to perform full time in a touring funk band. Also I quit because it was a very political, elitist environment and I didn't care so much for it.

Hey that's why I left Oberlin Con.

Though I did recently learn that the year after I left the whole damn comp department fucking exploded.

The elitism.

Not the funk band.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, I was always fine with the elitism because I was a few years older than the people who usually start in the department. My voice was maturing and I had the ocd needed to really learn all the information.

And now look at me. Holding in a giant fart because I am at dinner with a bunch of people I don't know and we want to leave a good impression for once dammit

DAMMIT

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Fiz wrote: »
    See, I was always fine with the elitism because I was a few years older than the people who usually start in the department. My voice was maturing and I had the ocd needed to really learn all the information.

And now look at me. Holding in a giant fart because I am at dinner with a bunch of people I don't know and we want to leave a good impression for once dammit

DAMMIT

I actually never really minded the elitism when doing performance stuff. My piano teacher was about the pickiest, crazy-elitist people I know when it came to piano, but I absolutely adored working with her. I got so fucking much better with it.

But as a comp major, when one professor is telling me that all that stupid postmodern shit isn't worth my time because it's just lazy writing, and then an hour later another professor is telling me that that dumbass high modernism isn't worth my time because they're stuck in an old model and will never progress it really started grating on me. Especially since there was this idea that there could never be anything tonal without it being ironically so. Like. You know what? Sometimes it's ok for people to be able to listen to your music without years of training.

Khavall on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i make sounds and mix them together

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember for the 20th century compositions people got away with the worst shit. One girl took those tubes that kids spin around to make the noise and handed them to each of us, then had us spin them at different speeds to try to make a song. It was impossible for us to do this on the spot so it was just five minutes of twirling

The one where a person gave each person a candy bar, put the wrappers under the piano strings, and then played a prepared piano song was awesome. Prepared piano is delicious

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been singing in bands with friends for the last 5-10 years, mostly just messing about for our own fun

We played one gig of 6 songs at our ex-drummer's brother's birthday party, which went OK: http://kurodust.net/music/live-at-the-starks-august-2007/

I took singing lessons for about a year, but haven't done any sort of voice training in about 2 years so all my old habits have snuck back in and I sound pretty shitty right now

I want to go back to singing lessons but I can't decide whether to try to find a teacher who knows about rock music, or just go back to my old teacher where I was singing musical theatre type stuff (which, though it didn't really relate to the band, was fun and got me to a pretty good place with my voice)

We had to get rid of our drummer due to dramas, so now we're using Fruity Loops to track the drums and trying to finish up the 8-10 tracks we're writing so we can record them

Once that's done we might try to get some gigs around the place

Ten on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I remember for the 20th century compositions people got away with the worst shit. One girl took those tubes that kids spin around to make the noise and handed them to each of us, then had us spin them at different speeds to try to make a song. It was impossible for us to do this on the spot so it was just five minutes of twirling

The one where a person gave each person a candy bar, put the wrappers under the piano strings, and then played a prepared piano song was awesome. Prepared piano is delicious

One of my favorite pieces was "Marbles, Stuffed Animals, and Balloons".

I knew something was going down because the week before there were mass emails to the comp students about how there was a high demand for stuffed animals.

It was in three movements, performed by two people.

The first was the performers hurling marbles into a crate.

In the second, the wall used for chamber pieces was raised, and they threw stuffed animals over it.

In the third they brought literally hundreds of balloons out and popped them all.

Awesome piece overall.

Also I did a performance that was very well written, but it was for "Trained and Untrained vocalist", and it was all about really slow movements of quarter tones and half steps, so I had to be sitting there over eight beats sliding a quarter tone while a half step higher there was an untrained singer that the composer knew trying to hold their pitch against it and really just halfway going with what I was doing. Fucking impossible.

Khavall on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2008
    thorpe wrote: »
    Tapping is so fucking hard jesus christ what am I doing wrong.

tapping, for one thing

Tube on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can anybody tell me anything about home recording and how one could get into doing such things on a very small budget (as little money as possible)?

I want to major in audio engineering/sound recording/whatever the hell you want to call it, and when I talked to some people at my top choice of school, they recommended that you record stuff on your own, be it of yourself or other people, for both the experience and to sort of build up a portfolio. Unfortunately, the only experience I have is playing around with Audacity/Acid Music Studio, and even that's limited. I don't know much of anything about any equipment that I should have. If anyone here does know, do tell.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Can anybody tell me anything about home recording and how one could get into doing such things on a very small budget (as little money as possible)?

I want to major in audio engineering/sound recording/whatever the hell you want to call it, and when I talked to some people at my top choice of school, they recommended that you record stuff on your own, be it of yourself or other people, for both the experience and to sort of build up a portfolio. Unfortunately, the only experience I have is playing around with Audacity/Acid Music Studio, and even that's limited. I don't know much of anything about any equipment that I should have. If anyone here does know, do tell.

Protools Academic with an M-Audio MobilePre input, and a Perception 200 mic will run you about $500, it's what I use, along with Finale. It's not quite everything you'll need, but you will have a virtual synth rack, audio editing, a really impressive microphone, and a full suite of awesome audio programs.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

SirToasty on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I walked out of a history lecture on John Cage then yelled at the professor!

#pipe on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

tapping, for one thing

Do you also consider sweep-picking cheating

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    PowerspousePowerspouse Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used to play chiptune, though I haven't made anything as of late. I lost interest in it out of lack of inspiration, and the fact that my computer is no longer in the same room equipment and I'm much too lazy to move it again.

http://www.myspace.com/lordmachino

And if anyone has any questions regarding getting started with chiptune I'd be more than happy to help.

Powerspouse on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

tapping, for one thing

I consider it faggotry

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

tapping, for one thing

I consider it faggotry

Thats probably fair.

Im' more on the Gilmour and Gilbert end of things

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't even play guitar solos any more. it has made my life so much more best.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Did the self-indulgence finally get to you

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Protools Academic with an M-Audio MobilePre input, and a Perception 200 mic will run you about $500, it's what I use, along with Finale. It's not quite everything you'll need, but you will have a virtual synth rack, audio editing, a really impressive microphone, and a full suite of awesome audio programs.

I have $350.

I'll at least replace the "really impressive" in "really impressive microphone" with "pretty okay."

Aside from that, looks good - though very intimidating, due to my complete ignorance of all things related to that which somehow happens to be an interest of mine.
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

Also this. I get back to tuba playing on Monday.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    When you're tapping, you are going to kind of pluck the string with the tapping finger instead of just pressing down and releasing. You press to sound that note and then kind of push your finger away from you to sound the note when you release. Similar thing with the left hand fingers. When you release you just pluck the string as you release.

That is what gave me the most trouble and that may not be a very good explanation.

But I do agree with Tube that tapping and sweep picking are generally lame.

Unless you are doing some really cool two hand tapping effects and not just shredding cause that can be very boring.

Also saxophone is great. Everyone thinks that the sax is just jazz. Really, the saxophone can produce a wider range of tones than pretty much any other wind instrument. It can range from a bright, gruff jazz snarl to a warm round classical tone that can sound halfway between an oboe and a clarinet. And it's not difficult to learn either. However, the advanced techniques seem to often be much more difficult than on other instruments. Altissimo register notes (very very high) take a long time to learn and master while many high school clarinetists regularly play in their altissimo register without even realizing it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    im in a band we are called monsters in the city and campion drew up our band logo
    see look
    l_1e3794a132017f3fa9c3b0ce943c134d.png

we have like three songs but no lyrics to any of them so our band's myspace page is pretty boring

god shank is a little twat i've been trying to post this for like 10 minutes

Shankusu on
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sweep picking, when used in moderation and in the right time and place, is pretty nice sounding.

But most of those guys become robots.

What I'm trying to say is, nobody should go overboard with those techniques. It just sounds really awful.

Rotam on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm gonna force my roommate to jam with me. It sucks because he'll be leaving during the second semester to do gay shit like study abroad.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rotam wrote: »
    Sweep picking, when used in moderation and in the right time and place, is pretty nice sounding.

But most of those guys become robots.

What I'm trying to say is, nobody should go overboard with those techniques. It just sounds really awful.

It can also be used hilariously in the middle of jazz swing feels.

As for earlier comments on tapping, it is a viable option for playing passages that require very rapid wide intervals, if you wish to avoid moving across strings (and there are a variety of reasons why you may choose to do this, not the least of which is, it's fucking hard to do at really fast speeds).

Also, hey, shameless self promotion!

http://www.facemeltingprotocol.com
    http://www.myspace.com/facemeltingprotocol
    Jazz fusion in the vein of Tribal Tech and The Code. We've been playing covers for the most part up until recently, but a few originals are starting to roll out. A demo is on pace to be finished and pressed by September. We're looking at moving beyond the club scene and into some jazz festivals starting next year.

garroad_ran on
  • Options
    MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well I play guitar because I need something to do other than computers and video-games. It's a plus that it takes so much dedication to get anywhere with it without sounding like the next guy who covers Maiden songs and considers himself an artist.

And here's a cool bass video for interested parties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BKCaQIA4A

Mitsuhide on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've played the piano for about 20 years. I play keyboards in a band.

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

I have $350.

I'll at least replace the "really impressive" in "really impressive microphone" with "pretty okay."

Aside from that, looks good - though very intimidating, due to my complete ignorance of all things related to that which somehow happens to be an interest of mine.
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

Well the problem you run into there is that the Perception-200 is pretty much the cheapest quality mic you'll find. Basically I got mine by going to the sound guys in guitar center and saying "Hey, I need a condenser mic, I'm not looking for the expensive ones" and they cut me off there before saying anything else by telling me to get a Perception-200.

Also I just found out that the Pro tools academic pack doesn't exist anymore anyways :( M-powered is the one I'm upgrading to, but that's $300 on its own.

Khavall on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I play guitar and do some terrible singing if the occasion calls for it. I think I'd probably work decent as a backup vocalist since I have a fair amount of range and can certainly sing in tune, but my voice just doesn't seem to fit with what I would like as lead vocals.

Given that I don't have a band or anything though right now it's really kind of moot. Lately I've only played some charity event gigs for my hometown that have gone over less than stellar.

Kinda looking to get back into a band but my creativity's just been terrible for the past year or so, which keeps me from being too ambitious about looking. Might be moving soon if things work out so I'd have a whole new scene to consider too. Probably with genres other than just the stoner-folk that this town's got 24/7.

Also Cap: I'm really digging that Masters, Mates and Pilots band. Battleship is a killer track.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Angel of DeathAngel of Death regular
    edited August 2008
    I am lead vocals for Stoned Death Gypsies, which is the band that me and my friends formed. I scream growl and all the usual shit you would hear in a hardcore/death metal/ black metal band.

Angel of Death on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

Yeah we have three sousaphones in our marching band this year. Thank god, we haven't had anything resembling a low brass section in two years. Our band is only about 60 people including 19 color guard.

In addition, my section, saxes, is the best section. Hurray 8-)

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know what makes me angry? Snapping my little e string.

Fucking hell.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I got asked to play guitar for a pit for Full Monty. Luckily it's community theater so if I'm terrible I'll probably mostly just fit in.

Still though, I'm pretty woefully not good enough to be performing yet.

Oh well, should be fun, and for the performances I'm going to drop by my parents house and steal my dads Gibson SG.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

Yeah we have three sousaphones in our marching band this year. Thank god, we haven't had anything resembling a low brass section in two years. Our band is only about 60 people including 19 color guard.

We have eight tubas

Suck on that!

Though to put that in perspective, there's 200+ people in band. Most of them play flute, clarinet, or trumpet. Our percussion section is also quite large.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

We have eight tubas

Suck on that!

Though to put that in perspective, there's 200+ people in band. Most of them play flute, clarinet, or trumpet. Our percussion section is also quite large.

My High School Marching band plays a piece I wrote for homecoming. This year is now the first year of no one in the band knowing who I am beyond the piece.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Woo band camp!

Yeaaaaah

We have eight tubas

Suck on that!

I envy schools with administration that actually gives a damn about their music program. If they did we might actually have some decent tubas. In fact, we'd have 3-4 convertible tubas for use in concert band as well and they would always be in great condition because we would be able to afford repairing them. Heck, one school the next county over has a bass sax. I wish we had one of those.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I guess this is where I get to update ya'll about my band. We're constantly writing new (better) material and our last show was pretty awesome. We finally finished our EP and I'll hopefully have some copies available soon.

So here's some footage from our last show, we're the third band, about halfway through the video.

But all the bands were pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TduszPMvBz8

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    protip: don't put your head next to a bass drum if you enjoy hearing a variety of frequencies in your everyday life

Tube on