As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E - IC] zephyr : "[Game Activity Related Tagline Here]"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Morning After Retribution Day
    "You know Ewan, you're smart. Not like the guys that sent us on this death trip." You thought about the capital ship, the Conquerer. Could it have survived the Merkaban's assault? Raoul was certainly trying your patience, but he had more life to him than your fellow Knights. "I don't suppose you could order one of your friends around? It'd give them a little something to do other than mill around like zombies or something. Besides, I just prestidigitized."

Looking out over the beach again you can see splintered metal jutting out from the water. In some areas the water foams pink with blood. You hoped that the Dancing Lightning wasn't under there.

"If my ritual book and pouch weren't several hundred feet underwater by now, I'd be long gone from here." Raoul adds in a matter-of-fact tone.

Keegan Lyriao
    Alabaster Citadel, "The Collection"
    Post Merkaban-Highborne War, Ceasefire Day 6
    You walk through the Teleportation Gate and find yourself in an enormous, domed room. Above you can see more stars than you've ever seen before from anywhere in your past travels. There are row after row of assorted pieces of art in both directions. From what you can make out, the this room don't go all the way up to the ceiling as well. The top, center portion of the dome has no stars above it, and there you can see a soft glow coming that area. Whatever was on display there was the crown of the collection, you surmised.

There are two paths, going in either direction. With a gentle caress, the smoke dancer motions for you to head to the left.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "And a very impressive trick it was. Maybe later you'd be able to summon up enough chairs for everyone in the class?" Ewan bit back saying any more. "Listen, Raoul. I appreciate the predicament you're in, but if we don't work together, we're going to die here. If that storm doesn't do us in, starvation or thirst will."

Ewan turned to the beach and walked to the middle. "Listen up! All of you. I know you're tired. I know you're lost, and I know what you've lost. We all have. But right now, we need to think of ourselves. If you want to waste their sacrifices, that's on you. But right now, we need to take action."

Ewan pointed to a group of them. "You three, scour every piece of wreckage you can find. We're looking for a cockpit. You find a communications crystal, you find me, understand?" Ewan pointed to a few more. "You there. Storm's on its way, and if we survived falling from the Lands Above, it'd be a short sight to die in a little weather. See what you can find for shelter."

Ewan turned back to Raoul and forced a smile, "Don't suppose you got anything that would even remotely resemble a flare in your little bag of tricks?"

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - Freightship Zee
    You spend the next hour wandering around the refugee area. It was strange, you'd actually grown accustomed to the sensation of being around the altitudes that Highborne lived in. It wasn't quite home, nothing could ever replace home. Walking by the Highborne's military cordon you felt the pain of their defeat echoing with yours.

The Conquerer and a few other battlecruisers were crowded together in the bay, and the smaller warships were being inspected and repaired. You knew that the combat ready remnants fleet had been sent to unstated defensive positions. Many of the healthier Knights were sent off too. It was a feint to appear strong, despite their severely crippled state.

Towards the center of the refugee area, you found a collection of makeshift temples to nearly every deity imaginable. The temples were simply larger tents, cobbled together from materials provided by the Caretakers. The temple to the Raven Queen, seemed to be particularly crowded. The temple to Kord was crowded too, mostly with civilians.

Lined up neatly on the opposite side of the military ships were the civilian vessels. Freighters filled with cargo, civilian transports turned into hotels, and luxury yachts belonging to nobles who were in flight at the time of the attack on Foehn. Immediately near it was the Highborne area. There were reports of assaults on Lowborne refugees by groups of Highborne, and vice versa.

(It's up to you to decide where you want to explore in detail, yes, each one has a separate event associated with it.)

Quinn Stasi
    Halny Island, Cornales - Town Square
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13
    QuinnSoloRound9.gif

Round 9
    Initiative Order:

"Black Knight" 50 (BK50): 18
    M. Unit (C,D): 14
    "Black Knight" 63 (BK63): 12
    "Black Knight" 31 (BK31): 11
    *Quinn : 10
    Horace, Jacobs: 18->10(Delayed)
    Smith, Kosch: 12->10(Delayed)
    *M. Leader: 10
    M. Unit (A,B): 23->10(Delayed)
    M. Unit E: 8
    Turk: 3

Round 8

BK50: Shift (12,9 -> 13,9) Regeneration 5, Rend [Target: Kosch, 34 vs AC 14: Hit 11 Damage | 26 vs AC 14: Hit 11 Damage] - Kosch Ko'd
    M. Unit C: *DOWN*
    M. Unit D: *FLED*
    BK63: (14,2) Regeneration 5, | Rend [Target: Jacobs, 21 vs AC 18: Hit 16 Damage] - Jacobs Ko'd

Quinn: Shift (12,8 -> 12,9) [Target: BK50 17 vs AC 26: Miss 6 Damage]
    Horace: Move (11, 9 -> 6,12), Move (6,12 -> 7,18)
    Jacobs: (13,11) *DOWN*
    Smith: Move (12,19 -> 12,20), Fled Combat.
    Kosch: (14,10) *DOWN*
    M. Leader: *DOWN*
    M. Unit A: *DOWN*
    M. Unit B: *DOWN*
    M. Unit E: *DOWN*
    Turk: Shift (11,11 -> 12,12), Glaive [Target: BK63 12 vs AC 26 : Miss]

Round 9
    BK50: Regeneration 5 | Shift (13,9 -> 14,8), Move (14,8 -> 11,6)
    BK63: Regeneration 5 | Shift (12,11 -> 11,12), Rend [Target: Turk, 22 vs AC 14: Hit 14 Damage | 27 vs AC 14: Hit 9 Damage], Action Point!, Rend [Target: Turk, 23 vs AC 13: Hit 9 Damage | 21 vs AC 14: Hit 15 Damage] - Turk Ko'd
    BK31: Move (5,3 -> 5,9), Move (5,9 -> 7,13), Action Point!, Charge Attack (7,13 -> 7,15) [Target: Horace, 28 vs AC 18: Hit 13 Damage]

End of Frame Info

Ally Status:
    Quinn - 21/30
    Horace - 13/41 *Bloodied*
    Jacobs - -1/41 *DOWN*
    Smith - 23/35*FLED*
    Kosch - -8/35 *DOWN*
    Turk - --9/47 *DOWN*

Enemy Status (Damage Taken shown):
    BK50 - 13
    BK63 - 4
    Merkaban A - 45 *DOWN*
    Merkaban B - 43 *DOWN*
    Merkaban C - 85 *DOWN*
    Merkaban D - 25 *FLED*
    Merkaban E - 41 *DOWN*
    Merkaban Leader - 40 *DOWN*

Horace turns the corner, and then stops suddenly. "Shit! Another one!" he cries out, and then begins to head back towards base. Smith shoulders his crossbow, cursing to himself as he follows your order to leave the battlefield.

This left only you and Turk. You slam your morning star into the knight yet again as Turk misses his strike. This time, it appears that you have its undivided attention. The creature shifts away from you, moving just behind you. The other knight that Turk had kept preoccupied unleashed a viscious series of attacks on the man that dropped him with ease.

The ground shook as a larger "Knight" surged towards Horace. The smouldering wooden booth distengrated as it slammed into it. You could hear Horace's last cries as he too was taken out of commission. All of the "knights" turned to face you, and began to chitter. There was an almost sadistic intelligence to them.

The chittering began anew as a chill crept up your spine. You realize here and now, that these were your last seconds.

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    The soldiers appear to be stirred into action. They're paying attention to you, at least. Some of them start to sift around the wrecks that they were previously wandering around in.

Raoul produces a small glowing orb of light with a wave of his hand. "Would this suffice?" He's curious as to what you plan on doing.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nightbird immediately heads to the right. Just kidding Smokey.

Turning to the left, he takes the path indicated by his nebulous companion, admiring the art and the illusions in equal measure. Well, maybe the art a little more. Invisible Floors and Sky Domes don't exactly move well on the black market.

Nightbird couldn't help but be a bit disappointed though, even (perhaps especially) amidst so many priceless works. If only I had Pockets of Holding...

Denada on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quinn watches as the knights slowly surround him, his friends' last screams echoing in his mind. The city was lost. Maybe the whole war. He would not survive, but he would be damned if he would flee and show the terror building up within him. "Come on then," he mutters, turning slowly while calmly swinging his morningstar. "I'll be waiting for you and your masters in the Abyss."
    Standard Action: Ready Reaping Strike to use against the first enemy that moves into a square adjacent to me.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "It might. How far can you throw it?" Even if they could raise a ship on the crystal, there's no way of telling them where to look. No telling how far off course the battle had taken them, or how to distinguish this island from the doubtless hundreds others just like it.

The storm was edging closer. Ewan could help with the recovery, or go find Iam. He looked around.

"Raoul, keep an eye on things. I'm going to get Iam."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quinn Stasi
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13
    Round 10
    Initiative Order:

"Black Knight" 50 (BK50): 18
    M. Unit (C,D): 14
    "Black Knight" 63 (BK63): 12
    "Black Knight" 31 (BK31): 11
    *Quinn : 10
    Horace, Jacobs: 18->10(Delayed)
    Smith, Kosch: 12->10(Delayed)
    *M. Leader: 10
    M. Unit (A,B): 23->10(Delayed)
    M. Unit E: 8
    Turk: 3

Round 8
    BK50: Regeneration 5 | Shift (13,9 -> 14,8), Move (14,8 -> 11,6)
    BK63: Regeneration 5 | Shift (12,11 -> 11,12), Rend [Target: Turk, 22 vs AC 14: Hit 14 Damage | 27 vs AC 14: Hit 9 Damage], Action Point!, Rend [Target: Turk, 23 vs AC 13: Hit 9 Damage | 21 vs AC 14: Hit 15 Damage] - Turk Ko'd
    BK31: Move (5,3 -> 5,9), Move (5,9 -> 7,13), Action Point!, Charge Attack (7,13 -> 7,15) [Target: Horace, 28 vs AC 18: Hit 13 Damage]

Quinn: Readied Action | Reaping Strike [Target: Enemy in entering range]
    Horace: *DOWN*
    Jacobs: (13,11) *DOWN*
    Smith: *FLED*
    Kosch: *DOWN*
    M. Leader: *DOWN*
    M. Unit A: *DOWN*
    M. Unit B: *DOWN*
    M. Unit E: *DOWN*
    Turk: *DOWN*

Round 10
    BK50: Regeneration 5 | Spell Cannon [Target: Quinn 25 vs REF 13: Hit 25 Damage - Quinn KO'd | (It hit everybody that was near you, since it targeted a different square from your position but I am not rolling their damage because they are already dead.)]
    BK63: Regeneration 5 |
    BK31: Regeneration 5 |

End of Frame Info

Ally Status:
    Quinn - -3/30 *DOWN*
    Horace - 0/41 *DOWN*
    Jacobs - -1/41 *DOWN*
    Smith - 23/35*FLED*
    Kosch - -8/35 *DOWN*
    Turk - --9/47 *DOWN*

Enemy Status (Damage Taken shown):
    BK50 - 13
    BK63 - 4
    Merkaban A - 45 *DOWN*
    Merkaban B - 43 *DOWN*
    Merkaban C - 85 *DOWN*
    Merkaban D - 25 *FLED*
    Merkaban E - 41 *DOWN*
    Merkaban Leader - 40 *DOWN*

After you speak your words they stop their chittering. A few seconds go by. The Black Knight immediately in front of you cocks its head to the side. A high pitched whine sound comes from behind you. You turn just in time to catch the flicker of a blue ball of energy lashing out from something mounted on its shoulder.

The ground beneath you is torn to shreds as you're thrown away from the resulting explosion. Spinning through the air your eye momentarily catches your previous location; all that remains of your comrades in that area is a smoldering crater. Your flight through the air is brought to a stop as you slam into the northern booth. You feel sharp pains all over as splintering wood and broken metal break your fall. Even worse was the pain coming from your leg, but even that began pain gradually felt more and more distant.

(Perception, Success) As darkness crept around your field of vision, you could see a warship coming in the distance. It was one of your own... (will update you again in the next cycle, hit the OOC for any questions or whatever. If you have any last IC thoughts you could also post them in the interim.)

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    Raoul shakes his head. "Not that far." It appeared as though the Mage's uses were rather limited. You might have had better progress if he switched places with one of the Knights that were wow working, but with little to no focus.

You remember that Iam was wondering the patch of forest alone. Past experience taught you that danger lurked anywhere. You excuse yourself from Raoul's pleasant and reassuring company.

When you get some distance away, you can hear him suggest that you ask one of your friends for a sunrod.

(If you go into the forest now, give me a Nature roll. Give me an additional roll of 1d20 without any modifiers too, regardless prz... Put them both in the OOC.)

Keegan Lyriao
    The Collection seemed to be arranged in layers, as once you get to a certain point there is a path that branched inwards.

In the immediate area the inner section are what look to be fancy weapons suspended in midair within their cases. More Draconic writing that you couldn't make out was posted beneath each one. You can recognize the shapes of the weapons as being various forms of Highborne and Lowborne variants of spears.

The dancer beckons you deeper.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Pottery as tall as I am," he sighs, muttering under his breath, "paintings even bigger than that, and now floating spears. Doesn't this Lady have anything that fits in a pouch?"

Nightbird follows the dancer's directions deeper into the Collection. Even with all this larger-than-loot treasure, he was still smiling, imagining what the Caretakers will say when they find a single black feather amidst all these priceless artifacts.

Denada on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rushing over to the highborne area, Brottor asks around about refugees from Konstogar. "Has anyone arrived from Konstogar? Anyone from the force trying to evacuate the area?" Going from person to person trying to find information. Perhaps someone survived... its possible...
    Rolls for streetwise and perception...again. (1d20 1=19, 1d20 4=14), streetwise for finding the info Im asking about, perception for listening to the other such reports.

Also, I went ahead and switched that one feat for the cleric multiclass.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    Alabaster Citadel, Refugee Area - Highborne Section
    "What? Are you talking about, who?"

"Look. I'm sure there's somebody out there that knows, go bother them."

"You don't belong here, Lowborne!"

"I don't know. It's a little mixed up here sir."

"Konstogar? Weren't they allies with Merkaba?"

"When will we go home?"

Going through the Highborne section for answers proved to be frustrating. While you heard a mixture of gossip and refusals, nobody really seemed to be able to give you the answers you sought out. Just as you were about to give up, an elderly man approaches you.

He moves rather close to you as he leans heavily on his cane. The stained outfit he wears looks like it had been custom tailored. At some point it may have actually even been a nice. His eyes look sharp, even though he is squinting heavily.

"Hello there, you wouldn't happen to be Brottor Oongarth, would you?" his tone is polite, even if he butchered your last name.

Quinn Staci
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Day 13 (Evening)
    "Not much left of this one."

You hear voices, far off in the distance. High above you the bass of cannons going off in rapid succession plays out. Rocks crunch underfoot, whoever they were they were getting closer, and now they were upon you.

"We found a survivor!" You're wracked with pain, but too weak to even scream as someone tries to move you. Your leg feels like it's about to come off.

"Don't move him! Let's have a look." a woman's voice stops the pain. "Move the debris first."

"Gods. His leg... Did I do that?"

There's the sound of divine words being uttered as warmth washes over your body. More footsteps approach as you regain the strength to open your eyes. Everything is blurry, though you're certain that the massive shadow being cast upon you is from a battleship. Three people are around you.

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    Merkaban-Highborne War, Retribution Day
    This forest has grown thicker than the ones you're accustomed to. The warm weather and frequent rains of the Lands Below no doubt being the cause. So when you charge headfirst into the forest and get turned around pretty easily, it's not that big of a deal. You stop where you're going and remember your training. Within moments you were certain of the way you came. This left you with finding out which way Iam went.

The trees and underbrush rustle as the southern wind grows stronger. The storm was getting even closer. You jump as Iam jumps out from the bushes.

He looks at your surprised expression as he catches his breath. "There's some ruins back there, some kind of manor. I think there's an old Gate Chamber too!"

Keegan Lyriao
    The deeper you get, the fancier the weapons appear to become. From the spears and polearms common to your era, you've seen a large collection of all-metal greatswords, and armors. You didn't know much about blacksmithing, but the quality of these weapons was remarkable.

You nearly jump out of your skin when you see a set of Black Knights. They weren't moving, but you recognized their looks from the stories and pictures taken of them. The Black Knights stood guard over another corridor. Of course, the smoky dancer would motion for you to go that way.

(Assuming you're going to follow it, since you have.)

You walk by the larger two, and into a straight path. There are even more Knights lining the wall, of various sizes. Some look surprisingly harmless. The corridor leads into an inner chamber with even stranger weaponry lining the walls. There's also a bridge, leading to a central spire. Stairs trace along the spire, leading to the platform above. In all 4 directions from the center you can make out the dull lighting of display cases.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "How large? Is it occupied? Did you see if the gate chamber was still working?" Ewan looked to the sky. Did they have long enough to check it out first, or was the storm pressing too hard, too fast?

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Yes elder, I am Brottor Ungart." Brottor looks hopeful despite the slim chances of this old man knowing anything. "Would you like to sit down? There must be a tavern somewhere nearby. Perhaps I could buy you an ale and you can tell me how you came to hear of me. And if the Gods will it, perhaps you know something about Konstogar?"
    I dunno if you want a roll for this, but I can give you one after class.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    "A tavern? Gods no, what would a man like me do in such a place?" He shakes his head at the thought of even setting foot in a normal tavern, let alone the tents with ale that pass for them in the Refugee Area. His mind wanders on that thought for a moment, before he regains his train of thought.

"Yes... Yes... Brottor Ungart, Hero of Konstogar, I know a lot about you! We're living in amazing times! Could you imagine being here, in the Wonder of Wonders, the Alabaster Citadel?"

The only thing you've seen of the Citadel are the four walls of the giant metal box you were in. High up, there were some fixtures and things that may have been cranes, but in general, it was just a box.

"Ah. Where are my manners? I'm Naro Exposito, Historian." He holds out a knobby knuckled hand. "I know a lot about Konstogar, and this war. To have a chance to live history... simply amazing!"

The old man was probably a touch off. The history he enjoyed had killed a lot of people. Yes, there were many victims, including himself. (Passive Perception, Success) There's a tension in the air coming from the people around you. Being the only Lowborne in the area hanging around a guy who seemed oddly happy over the events that have occured would do that.

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    "Well, the manor is kind of full of trees now. I looked around where I could, and that's all I could find." Iam seems excited, then frowns.

"But I couldn't begin to tell you if the chamber worked or not."

The winds were picking up. The storm was still hours away, but it wouldn't be long before the waves and heavier winds reached this area.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "The others... are any of them alive? What happened to-" Quinn coughs, and the pain of his body shaking causes tears to come to his eyes. "What happened to the knights?"

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "We've not much time. Iam, come with me. Let's see how the others are doing on shelter and communications. We may need to take refuge in your manor. Are you certain you could find your way back there?"
    He better be. If he is, we'll head back to the beach for a status check out there. If not, then have him lead me there so I can remember how to get back. I'll give you a nature roll once we get there if needs be. Otherwise, we'll have Iam lead us all there.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    Iam nods at you. "Of course I can, I'm a Scout... one of the few, and finest!" Being one of the few actually hurt today.

You begin to head back to the beach. The soldiers are still marginally working, and Raoul is most likely back in his little hut.

Quinn Staci
    Your eyes begin to focus. Two of the people are covered in blood. There's too much on them to only be yours, you hope. The female looks away from you while the guy closes his eyes. While both of them are crouched around you, the other towers above you.

The black cloak he's wearing flutters in the wind as the cannons continue to fire. He clenches a fist tightly and exhales. He is intentionally refusing to look down at your broken body. (Passive Insight, Success 19? :U) His disposition seems to be like that of a father unwilling to look on his injured child, instead focusing intently on the attacker. The lights and shadow gave the man a hard silhouette, so you're unable to determine who he is, however.

"You're... you're the only one we've found alive past the bombardment line." the other Knight speaks up.

Bombardment line?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan sighs mightily. Maybe he should give up on giving inspirational speeches. "Unless any of you have found a communications crystal amongst the wreckage, there's nothing here that's going to be useful in the oncoming storm. Form up. Iam here has found a shelter deep in the woods. We're going to wait there until this storm passes." Ewan made no mention of the gate chamber. No sense in raising anyone's hopes until they could verify that it worked.

"Raoul. If you could spare a moment of your time, we're going to be leaving. Do you require any assistance in taking down your *tent*?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nightbird becomes quieter, in both thought and action. He keeps a hand near his favorite dagger as he creeps forward, following the dancer's directions. I wonder what those things really are, he thinks as he looks back at the Black Knights lining the path behind him. He was sorely disappointed by the appearance of the Black Knights. They looked like guards. The kind of guards that might come after him if he took something from these display cases.

It's all been weapons so far... spears and greatswords and... hmm. The kind of things you might try to slay a dragon with. Try being the key word there...

Growing increasingly paranoid, Nightbird sneaks across the bridge and ascends the stairs. He's ready to get this key and get out of here.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quinn grits his teeth, feeling like he might pass out at any moment. "What bombardment line? What happened?" He looks at the two people crouched down next to him, a sudden burst of frustration and panic overwhelming him. "Look at me! Who are you people?"
    Insight roll to gauge these people's mood and honesty as they answer:
    Insight Check (1d20 9=13)

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor shakes his hand, taking notice of the crowds around him, "Yes, well met Naro Exposito. Well, if a tavern won't suit you, perhaps we could find some other establishment? I must admit, I have not been here long and don't know what all there is. All I can offer is my quarters and there's barely enough room for me there. Come, lets talk in private." Trying to lead the man away from the crowds.
    Diplomacy (1d20 1=14) to try and lead him away kindly and such.
    Streetwise (1d20 1=15) To try to remember something more suitable for this guy.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    You're able to shepard him away from the crowds, as they begin to gather and murmur even more. Hopefully, they wouldn't follow you along.

"Yes, yes! Let us go someplace. I have a lot of questions for you!" Naro turns away from the direction you're leading him, pointing towards where the other airships rested.

"Yes... I have a ship, a yacht! Just over there. We can discuss things there." He seems to be lost in thought now.

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    Merkaban-Highborne War, The Day after Retribution Day
    "You found a manor in the woods?" Raoul rolls his eyes and adds "Fine, we can all go there and drown!"

He leaves the tent and gathers with the remaining soldiers. They looked around restlessly, waiting for the Merkabans to come and finish the job.

"Let's go, tut-tut!"

Quinn Staci
    "Shh. It's ok... you're safe now, we're Knights too. I'm Mariposa, I'm from the Primrose."

The man moves away from you, stepping across the shattered booth you'd landed on and looking out to the horizon. You turn to look as well. Where there were once many buildings, there was now nothing but rubble. There were no Merkaban war ships on the horizon.

In order to keep this territory, the Knights were forced to turn their own cannons against it. The strategy was taken from the information gleaned regarding the Konstogan attack. You'd heard that nearly all of their Guard had sacrificed themselves in a last ditch effort to save civilian lives.

The man turns to face you. Without the sun blocking his features, you recognize him instantly as Andrei Vaugh, the very leader of the Knights. He drives his spear into the ground near you, and looks into your eyes.

"Know this. Today the Merkabans have forced this atrocity upon us. But it will not go unanswered. By my very blood, I will destroy all of Merkaba, starting with its capital."

The expression on his face borders insanity. Mariposa and the Knight shift about uncomfortably. "Retrieve him, and resume your search." Andrei commands.

Keegan Lyriao
    There sure were a lot of stairs. As you walk around the spiral staircase you can see more of the contents of the dome. It looked like there were 4 other similarly sized pentagonal showrooms to the collection, and it was also surrounded by what resembled trees. Eventually, you get to the top.

It would have been lovely for them to have put a teleportation pad out for that. On the top of the spire there are small models of what appear to be ships of some sort. Some look like airships and warships, while others are of a shape and design that you couldn't really figure out. The smoke dancer tries to get you to take a look at the object in the center of the room.

(Roll 1d20, with no modifiers.)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "You're more than welcome to stay here, Raoul. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to collect you." Ewan nods to Iam and he begins to lead the crew into the woods. "Whether or not they'll save you or kill you upon sight is of course fully dependent on your luck." Ewan turned and began following the others before remarking, "You might want to ask someone for a sunrod, either way."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    "I'll come too, if only to die in a more comfortable place." Raoul replies. A subtle shift in Iam's body language gives you the idea that Raoul won't exactly be liking this place.

"Follow me, ok?" Iam leads the way. It only takes 10 minutes of walking to get to the place that Iam referred to as a manor. Massive tree roots and underbrush have exploded out of the structure and its outlying wall. Birds flutter and fly off as their sanctum is violated by the presence of man. The building isn't all that huge, in all actuality. It is the trees that surround and puncture it that give it its bulk. Much of the roof is intact, held together only by tree branches and parasitic vines. If Raoul was upset about this, he doesn't show it visibly.

Keegan Lyriao
    What you see is unfathomable. The massive sphere of light was well over 20' in diameter. When you hadn't paid it any attention it was simply a giant orb of light. But now that you've looked into it, you realize that it is actually a massive collection of smaller orbs, projected to orbit along one central point. Something in the back of your head tells you that these were actually stars.

The motion of this mass mesmerizes you, as even more detail comes to the fore. There are tens of thousands of words displaying themselves now by each star, in what you recognize as being some sort of common. But the words themselves were too hard to make out. At certain parts of this massive diorama (can't think of a better word. :P) there are red lines snaking from point to point. Of the pairings only one is green. A small pulse travels from one end, to the other.

As if reading your mind, the sphere's contents shift and move, creating a nauseating sensation of motion until it finally stops at one of the stars. Your guess is that this is maybe where you're at? To bring home that point, it focuses on a smaller orb. At this level of detail, you can make out a multitude of small objects suspended within this orb.

Line after line of appears, some red and others green, and at each end point there are now words marking them that aren't even in common. You vaguely recognize the as something you've seen someplace. But before you can even begun to dwell on that or process what you're seeing further, the smoke dancer jabs you in the eye. Hard.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor eyes the odd man warily. He was a weird person, but he seemed to be harmless, "Ye...yes.. your yacht, that seems like a good idea." Brottor follows Naro towards his yacht, "How is it you came to know me?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Brottor Ungart
    "Well I was in Gainsfield when your people decided to pay us a..." he chooses his next word carefully. "a visit, yes. I was just about to head over to the nearest Gate Chamber to go Juniper. Imagine my surprise at seeing a large number of Dwarves and others rushing out of the Chamber and into the town? I was almost trampled!"

He leads you along a row of tents, you recognize the route that he's taking as the very same route you used to get into the Highborne section of the camp.

"So then I heard a large explosion a little while later. When I went by the chamber they had already taken you away." You recalled the hassle you had to go through to prove, repeatedly that you were not the cause of that creature's attack. Then came the relocations. "That's when I saw it! Just a glimpse of its remains... of course. But I knew there and then that the very stars were about to move..."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Alright. Everyone inside. Storm will be here soon. Iam and I will secure the area and make sure there's nothing untoward. Raoul, if you would be so kind as to bring the men inside and find whatever you can to make sure the structure is sturdy. A place large enough to stay dry and weather the storm will be just fine."

Ewan nods to Iam and approaches him, quietly from behind. "show me the gate"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Yes, I regret having to force my people upon the city of Gainsfield, but that was the only way I could save them. And you saw that.... creatures... remains? What was so special about him? There were hundreds of them. Those bastards are what attacked us, they're the ones that forced me to... hmph never mind." Brottor walks on in silence.

After a couple minutes he looks up at Naro, "Where is your yacht docked?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    "Hm!" Raoul flat out ignores you, as something else has caught his attention. He moves towards the manor, holding his hands out. It seems as though he's searching for something. The soldiers aren't sure whether to follow him or not.

"Is it?" He moves a few steps in one direction, then turns and heads in the other. "No... no..."

"Ewan! He's, he's moving towards it!" Iam whispers back to you.

Brottor Ungart
    "Oh yes, my yacht! That's where we were going to talk." Naro was just as lost in his own thoughts as you were. He points a short distance ahead. "There we go!"

For a weird old Eladrin, his airship was really extravagant. The corestone drive was attached to the back by four ornate arms, with opening to expose the light it emitted. Rather than being built primarily of wood like most civilian and even military vessels, it seemed like its hull was entirely metal. It even used secondary drives for steering instead of propellers. It hovers in place several feet above Citadel's floor.

"It's not much, but it's home." The Eladrin's humility seems insulting, but genuine. (Naro is Eladrin, didn't state that at first glance.)

"Assistant!" he calls out, and a few people nearby turn their heads. A few seconds later on the top deck, a man shows up. With a few gestures, a concave floating disc appears on the ground near the side of the vessel. Naro motions for you to hop onto it as he does the same.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Figures. Ewan thinks to himself as Raoul is divining himself towards the gate chamber. "You." Ewan points at a nearby soldier. "Find some shelter. And do it NOW." Ewan looks over at Iam. "Come on, then. Nothing like babysitting a mage."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    It's funny, the markings and insignia on the soldier's crest indicate that he outranked you by 2 tiers. Yet he listens to you without question. Raoul looks around a little more, noticing an enclosure that was blocked off by a thick collection of roots and other debris.

"Ah!"

Raoul begins to mutter something in words arcane. The his hands glow as he makes some gestures, the nature of which you're unsure of. He then brings his hands to his sides, the mage taking a straddle stance (google it. :P).

As he thrusts his palms out towards the wall you feel a stiff breeze rush past. A powerful force slams into the wall of roots and stone, which caves. He then lifts his palms upwards and back over his head, the debris casually hurtling itself into the forest by the same force.

Some of the soldiers scatter from the commotion, while others curl up into a fetal position.

"Babysit?" Raoul looks over at you, and then walks into the opening that he'd just created.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan rolls his eyes. He's not going to be baited by Raoul. "Well done. I don't suppose you've got a trick to make it work?"

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nightbird rubs his eye after stifling a yelp. "Real graceful, Smokey. Thanks for that."

He then blinks a few times, realizing that he'd been staring for longer than he thought. Amazing as it was, something about that contraption didn't sit right with him. Doing his best not to get lost in it again, he walks over to the pedestal and looks at the small cube resting there. "This looks like a key-ish sort of thing."
    I'll go ahead and grab it if Smokey gestures that way. Feel free to move me along in your update.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    The chamber that Raoul had cleared a way into was free of any living vegetation. Withered stumps were all that remained of vines that overlap the walls of this room. Dead leaves decorated the floor, blown into a corner by Raoul's opening the way.

Raoul is searching along a side wall for something, and then stops when he's found it. Using his finger, he writes out a Sigil Sequence along a panel. The floor begins to glow as the Gate Chamber comes to life.

"I'm lucky it wasn't sealed." Raoul speaks to no one in particular.

When you peer into the glowing circle on the ground you're able to see what's on the other side. It's a room, similar to this one but much larger. You recognize it as being one of the gate chambers in Foehn. There are no guards posted anywhere on the other side that you're aware of.

"Gather your soldiers, Scout. I don't have all day." There's no doubt about it, Raoul has clearly just given you an order.

Keegan Lyriao
    Even the subtleties of a theft deterrent system that may predate your entire known family tree are nothing to you. With your thief tools in hand, you ever so gently remove the cube from its cradle, taking care to avoid shifting it in a manner which would damage the device or trigger alarms.

It doesn't take long for you to remove the device, and once free of the pedestal and in your hand the spire darkens. Even though you'd managed to bypass the safeties of this device, you'd hope to never face another one as complicated again in your lifetime. You can barely see the smoke dancer clapping excitedly at your success. You place one of your trademark feathers carefully into the slot the device once occupied. The only problem now would be getting back to the Refugee Area.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Yes sir." Ewan didn't appreciate being ordered around, but he had to hand it to Raoul. He knew enough to open the gate and the sigil sequence back to Foehn. Ewan turned around and picked up the soldiers still curled up on the ground and marched everyone into the gate.

"Well. Never know what you'll find in the woods, eh Raoul? And to think, we managed to save all our sunrods." Ewan wasn't completely magnanimous in his obeisance, and with a wink to Iam, Ewan joined the others in the gate, taking a closer look at the other side."
    Take ten perception check against the other side of the gate circle. = 17.

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "not much"? this yacht is better than anything Ive ever been on. Stepping up onto the disc, Brottor looks the ship over, taking in all the details.
    Perception (1d20 4=17)
    Just lookin everything over, seeing if I notice anything nifty and such.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Disbelief floods through Quinn's mind. The level of devastation, the destruction, the death-it is too much to bear. His eyes lose their focus as his anger rises. Quinn's fingers dig into the rubble beneath him, seeking some foundation in the charred earth. "I will fight for you, Andrei. I will avenge all of my fallen brothers. And I will see those responsible for this choke on their blood." As he speaks, he pushes into the ground, struggling to rise from the ruins and sit upright, heedless of the blood streaming from his leg and the pain coursing through his body.

Jebu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quinn Staci
    Beyond a certain point, a person's body cuts out pain. The moment you shifted your weight around in an attempt to bring yourself from the to the ground, it became a distant thing. The Knight and Mariposa watch on in horror. She can see the damage you're doing to your body, and the Knight is looking at the nearly demonic grin that Andrei has on his face as you attempt to rise to your feet.

The cannons above you drum steadily, almost as fast as your racing heart. Shadows creep across the land as you move to your feet, beckoned on by Andrei. This would be a truly great moment, if not for the fact that you no longer have enough blood in your body to remain conscious. Mariposa catches you when you finally collapse to the ground, cradling you gently. The last thing you hear are Andrei's words:

"Rest, knight. Your time will come. We will have our retribution."

(Time skip for you in the next update batch, unless there's anything you want to do/add in the meantime. Also: Quest Complete! +125 XP. Record that increase on your character sheet. The quest was simply surviving up until the hopeless boss battle. :P)

Ewan Stark
    Zephyr, ??
    The soldiers all file through the portal, the sight of Foehn on the other side restoring hope to their eyes and faces. Just outside you can hear the pitter patter of rain fall. You wonder if you'd ever see this place again, though you wouldn't exactly miss it.

"Well?" Raoul motions for you to go through the gate.

Or him. Of all the mages that could have survived this hellstorm, why was it him? To his merit, you are able to return to base because of his actions. That counted for something, at least.

Brottor Ungart
    The floating disc comes to a halt on the deck. Up on top there is a table with a place setting for one. Books are littered around the floor of the deck in a number of languages.

"Uh... hello?" The assistant looks at you, wondering who Naro dragged in from the streets.

Sensing his assistant's discomfort at your presence, Naro speaks up. "This is Brottor Oongart. The man from Konstogar I told you about before. You know, the one with that letter? This is my assistant..." he bows his head as as he's about to be introduced. "Assistant."

He makes no attempt to hide his feeling of dejection. You know he's a Half-elf, and his attire suggests he is Highborne as well. Naro turns towards the the table and takes a seat. "Now then. Where should we begin?"

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    "Raoul, it's entirely likely that without you, none of us would be getting home." Ewan looked right at the mage. "Thank you."

Without waiting for a response, Ewan steps through the gate.

Asshole

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Glancing between 'Assistant' and Naro, Brottor speaks up "Well met... umm.. 'Assistant'." Seeing no chairs made readily available Brottor contents himself to just standing near the table. "Well, Naro, I would like to know why you are so interested in me. As far as I can tell, you have no reason to be. Perhaps you can shed some light on that matter?"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    With alarms avoided and the key tucked securely in one of his pouches, Nightbird wastes no time getting back to the portal. He doesn't even stop (much) to look at the other valuables in the Collection. One thing he's learned over the years is that a job isn't done until it's done, and he still had to get out of here.

His mind pours over his options as he winds his way back through the display cases and their various trophies. There was the way he came in, but that door was too big to sneak through unnoticed, if he could get it open at all. He could wait for another ship to be hauled through and slip out during the commotion. That could work, but who knows when another ship would be moved.

Barring any sort of good timing, he would have to find another door.

Denada on