As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 22, 2008

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nobody appreciates the Seventh Son series.

I think it's Card's best work, personally.

I really like the Alvin Maker books.

Was the Crystal City supposed to be an ending, or is there supposed to be another book coming? I was a little unclear on that whole thing.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    I thought it was a funny name...

It could have been funny if it were intended as some kind of joke or parody. Maybe it can be unintentionally funny. But as it was written, it didn't seem like the author was doing it for laughs.
    I agree that Snow Crash wasn't that good and Hiro Protagonist isn't that clever but it's also pretty fucking clear he meant it as a joke.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jedoc wrote: »

I really like the Alvin Maker books.

Was the Crystal City supposed to be an ending, or is there supposed to be another book coming? I was a little unclear on that whole thing.

I'm pretty sure it was the last book, yeah. He didn't really make it feel like an ending story, though.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Diamond Age is still a favorite of mine.

Neo-Victorians all up ins.

I really loved Turings castle.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    y'know i think maybe i don't like neal stephenson as much as i thought i did

cryptonomicon is interesting as hell, but there are so goddamned many things about it that piss me off

you are not tom clancy, nor are you douglas adams
    I'm coming around to that point of view myself

these past few weeks I've been listening to snow crash audiobook as I'm driving back and forth moving shit, and yeah the first quarter of the book is fun but god damn, some of the shit is so bad.

the whole "librarian" program was so poorly written. Like every thirty seconds he has the guy say "Sorry, but you dumbshit I'm a program so I can't understand what hyperbole is even though I'm using it constantly when I'm not piping up like a gayer C3PO"

I mean, there's good ideas in there, and Cryptonomicon is a lot of really fascinating stuff too, but it is also about two-thirds filler and crap that doesn't need to be there

the alvin maker stuff?

I thought it was really good for a while until I kind of just stopped and went "wait this is just like reading a sermon dressed as a mediocre pioneering fable. No thanks."

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    I thought it was a funny name...

It could have been funny if it were intended as some kind of joke or parody. Maybe it can be unintentionally funny. But as it was written, it didn't seem like the author was doing it for laughs.
    I agree that Snow Crash wasn't that good and Hiro Protagonist isn't that clever but it's also pretty fucking clear he meant it as a joke.

I'll take your word for it. I guess the thing is that I haven't read anything else that he's written, plus he has a character named "Yours Truly" and another character named "Raven" who is described almost verbatim as "the ultimate badass" somewhere in the book. So it's like he presented me with escalating layers of retarded names, such that it wasn't clear that he was joking. Also the bad writing in general makes it look like he's not joking.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would seriously like to make a video game that is basically a rewrite of Snow Crash with all the retarded shit and boring-ass filler material taken out. I think that if the story were just pared down to the essentials and cleaned up a bit, you'd have something that's great for interactive media. The main reason, I suppose, aside from the whole thing sounding like a video game, is that I feel like a lot of action-hero-oriented material really lends itself to longer, user-controlled sequences with shorter plots and to-the-point stories. Action movies can't really get away with that, because it's very easy to overload the viewer and bore or numb them, but video games can have a much higher action-to-story ratio, and actually often benefit from it.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You're a good guy Defender but I'm surprised even you didn't immediately get that he was being intentionally over the top with those names.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was never into sci-fi books

or most movies in fact

Javen on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    I would seriously like to make a video game that is basically a rewrite of Snow Crash with all the retarded shit and boring-ass filler material taken out. I think that if the story were just pared down to the essentials and cleaned up a bit, you'd have something that's great for interactive media. The main reason, I suppose, aside from the whole thing sounding like a video game, is that I feel like a lot of action-hero-oriented material really lends itself to longer, user-controlled sequences with shorter plots and to-the-point stories. Action movies can't really get away with that, because it's very easy to overload the viewer and bore or numb them, but video games can have a much higher action-to-story ratio, and actually often benefit from it.

cryptonomicon is a serious book with really sporadic and inappropriately placed bits of douglas adamsesque humor

the guy is damn near notorious for putting humor where it doesn't belong

Knob on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would seriously watch an entire movie like the FPS scene in Doom

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You're a good guy Defender but I'm surprised even you didn't immediately get that he was being intentionally over the top with those names.

It was presented to me by other guys at college as this awesome book with no mention of humor. It was the only book I'd ever read by this author. Some of the stuff was just below the "obvious parody" line, so that made the stuff that was above the line look like heavy-handed writing, not heavy-handed parody. Plus, when I got through the book, all the other bad parts of it made me question the writer's overall skill.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

cryptonomicon is a serious book with really sporadic and inappropriately placed bits of douglas adamsesque humor

the guy is damn near notorious for putting humor where it doesn't belong

OK, see, this is information that would've helped me had I known it when I read the book.

Also, talk to me more about putting it where it doesn't belong.

Defender on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I call dibs on Snow Crash: The Game: The Movie.

snowcrashku0.png

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i don't know what's worse B:L, that you might have actually made that image to reply to Defender, or that that image was already in existence on the internet.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't see doom

should I

Skull Man on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Naming a character Hiro Protagonist sounds like one of those jokes the author would put in as they were writing for their own amusement and then just forgot to take out.

Butler on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I really liked Cryptonomicon

also Neuromancer, which may be tangent to this conversation but Stephenson's and Gibson's cyberpunk novels are pretty similar you guys

yeah except gibson actually knows how to write, he doesn't have nearly as much trouble with endings and pacing as stephenson does (although pattern recognition springs to mind as a counter-example)

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yeah, Gibson's definitely a better writer but even though Stephenson's not as skilled I do like his quirky take on things and he's not as awkward with the pacing in his later books (namely the Baroque Cycle)
    at least in my opinion

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Regarding Snow Crash:

Hiro Protagonist is a joke name, it's not supposed to be taken seriously, he even says in the book that it's not his real name. It's his trade name, and he knows it's dumb. The point is that it's silly but memorable.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Skull Man wrote: »
    I didn't see doom

should I

it was okay

in a pretty gay way

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I didn't see doom

should I

it was okay

in a pretty gay way

"I gotta take a dump."

No, do not see it. You will not gain anything out of it more than what this clip gives you.

Defender on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    yeah, Gibson's definitely a better writer but even though Stephenson's not as skilled I do like his quirky take on things and he's not as awkward with the pacing in his later books (namely the Baroque Cycle)
    at least in my opinion

uh the first one was nigh incomprehensible

i stopped reading because none of the characters meant anything and jack shaftoe was dead but maybe not

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't see doom

should I

it was okay

in a pretty gay way

"I gotta take a dump."

No, do not see it. You will not gain anything out of it more than what this clip gives you.

I cannot help but love The Rock with such a ferocity as to make pale the zealotry of religious extremists.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You guys should see the Rundown

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I enjoyed Doom as a stupid "shut your brain off" movie

Me Too! on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Angry Video Game Nerd is pretty awesome

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not really

he just says lots of swears poorly and mugs at the camera

Knob on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I borrowed the DVD from a friend, took me about 3 tries to get all the way thru it. It's definitely nothing special, but it's ok. The blonde girl is easy on the eyes, even though her character and dialog are terrible. That Mr. The Rock guy is .... interesting.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    angry video game nerd is fucking retarded

i am prejudiced though

the person who showed it to me is probably the worst person i've ever met

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As satire it's pretty funny. People who really act like him in their regular daily lives, or anything close to that, are horrible awful people.

jwalk on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    not really

he just says lots of swears poorly and mugs at the camera

There are many cases where his criticisms are valid. Maybe it's my perspective based on my job, but sometimes I see game mechanics that people set up and I'm just like "WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT???"

AVGN has the advantage of picking from a treasure trove of games that are 10 or 20 years old, sometimes more, so there are so many hilariously bad, unrefined game concepts in there that I find it entertaining.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    sure he occasionally makes a decent point, and his criticisms aren't invalid

but he's annoying as fuck

it's like if you had to be stung by a swarm of bees and then punched in the balls before you were allowed to look at metacritic scores

Knob on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    too accurate

Skull Man on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    he's basically yahtzee except horribly annoying and unfunny

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    woah look at that

its a monster face

Projeck on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    NOOOOO what'd they do to the opening and ending credits to Zero Punctuation?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    he's basically yahtzee except horribly annoying and unfunny

I'd say that the situation is reversed.
    NOOOOO what'd they do to the opening and ending credits to Zero Punctuation?

I think they did that because he kept using copyrighted material without permission and they got worried about being sued or something.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.