As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    List looks good. Do you plan on using the arc-nodes on the Revengers a lot? If not, the Devout may make a good substitution, since it's cheaper, points-wise has a *wicked* Defensive Strike, and the price difference could probably get you a extra infantry man somewhere.

Speaking of the Choir, you've got five points to play with. Filling the unit out would cost four points. (two per extra)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Choir Are rare in my area is it is, I barely managed to scrounge up the four, but I'll see what I can do. as for the revengers, I like their stats more, and the arc nodes are handy.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The extra choir members will be worth it.

I'm curious about the deliverers though. I haven't seen Menoth in action in a long while, but I seem to recall people looking down on them a little.

Any thought to using Exemplars?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:

I'm curious about the deliverers though. I haven't seen Menoth in action in a long while, but I seem to recall people looking down on them a little.

I allready have the Zealots for Melee combat and I don't use any Jacks with Ranged attacks, I honetly thought I could use the ranged support?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    zenpotato wrote:

I allready have the Zealots for Melee combat and I don't use any Jacks with Ranged attacks, I honetly thought I could use the ranged support?
    Be careful when using deliverers in a melee heavy army. Deviating shots can rip the shit out of your guys just as well as they can your opponents.

Have you considered ordering online to fill out the choir? Those extra two dudes will nearly double their range. If not the choir, you might as well toss an extra rack in to take those points, you never know when an extra focus or two will come in handy, to say nothing of the herding ability (nice with the AOEs from Deliverers and zealot firebombs).

see317 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I decided o Prune the Deliverer Squads in Favor of Knights. My big worry now is just Khador and Cygnar ranged armies. according to someone who plays Cygnar, most of my guys, including stuff like the Guardian, would just get picked off by Long Gunners really early on because of Snipe.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    mrgenericmrgeneric __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    finally decided to pick up a table-top strategy game after having oogled warhammer/warmachine for months. it doesn't seem like there's a terribly large number of players in my area (the table-top scene here is dominated by 40k, no surprise) but fortunately my girlfriend seems interested in it as well. she's going to build a khadorian force, and i've decided to go for the cygnarians (after briefly considering menoth). more specifically, i'm aiming for a shooty army based around lt. caine, relying more on units than warjacks.

so, here's my 500pt list. now, keep in mind this is only a draft, and i'd appreciate any words of advice from any warmachine vets out there. :D

lt. allister caine (67)

gun mage captain adept (32)
    journeyman warcaster (25)
    -hunter light warjack ( 88 )
    rupert carvolo, piper of ord (22)

arcane tempest gun mages (90)
    long gunners (6) (64)
    sword knights (6) (56)
    hammerfall high shields (6) (53)

total points: 497

mrgeneric on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Allright, I made Some tweaks, so here they are

500PT:

Warcaster:
    High Exemplar Krieoss: 64

Jack:
    Guardian: 126
    Revenger: 76

Solo: Wrack: 5

Unit:
    Choir X4: 18
    Holy Zealots X6: 40
    -Monolith Bearer: 24
    Knights Exemplar: 69

Total: 498

750 PT:

Warcaster:
    Grand Exemplar Krieoss: 73

Jack:
    Dervish: 65
    Dervish: 65

Solo:
    Knight Exemplar Seneschal: 34

Unit:
    Choir of Menoth X4: 18
    Deliverer Sunburst Crew: 18

Total: 748

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I decided o Prune the Deliverer Squads in Favor of Knights. My big worry now is just Khador and Cygnar ranged armies. according to someone who plays Cygnar, most of my guys, including stuff like the Guardian, would just get picked off by Long Gunners really early on because of Snipe.

This is where that large Choir comes in. One of the things the Choir is going to be able to do is deny your enemy the ability to target some of your units.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mrgeneric wrote:
    finally decided to pick up a table-top strategy game after having oogled warhammer/warmachine for months. it doesn't seem like there's a terribly large number of players in my area (the table-top scene here is dominated by 40k, no surprise) but fortunately my girlfriend seems interested in it as well. she's going to build a khadorian force, and i've decided to go for the cygnarians (after briefly considering menoth). more specifically, i'm aiming for a shooty army based around lt. caine, relying more on units than warjacks.

so, here's my 500pt list. now, keep in mind this is only a draft, and i'd appreciate any words of advice from any warmachine vets out there. :D

lt. allister caine (67)

gun mage captain adept (32)
    journeyman warcaster (25)
    -hunter light warjack ( 88 )
    rupert carvolo, piper of ord (22)

arcane tempest gun mages (90)
    long gunners (6) (64)
    sword knights (6) (56)
    hammerfall high shields (6) (53)

total points: 497

That's pretty good. Long Gunners are so incredibly awesome and Gun Mages are there just to neuter warjackers. You should do pretty good against most forces.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Allright, heres some more tweaks:

500PT:

Warcaster:
    High Exemplar Krieoss: 64

Jack:

Solo:

Unit:
    Choir X6: 22

Total: 497

750 PT:

Warcaster:
    Grand Exemplar Krieoss: 73

Jack:
    Devout: 69

Solo:
    Knight Exemplar Seneschal: 34
    High Paladin Dartan Vilmon: 38
    Paladin of the Order of the Wall: 19

Unit:
    Choir of MenothX6: 22
    Holy Zealots X10: 60
    -monolith bearer: 24

Total: 750

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Both those lists look very solid to me. Exemplars are great troops, you've got the choir and zealots, along with jack support. Classic Menoth.

Those should be competitive lists.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I really need to get back to painting. I think I'll order a Widowmaker unit, a mortar team and a Kovnik.

Echo on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here is my lists if anyone is interested? Think it might beat my brother's?

My Rumble force

Lt. Allister Caine: 67
    Centurion: 113
    Thunderhead: 154

Field Mechaniks (4): 16
    Long Gunners (6): 64
    Trenchers (6): 83

Total cost 497

My Grand Melee force

Captain Maxwell Finn: 31
    Long Gunners (10): 104
    Storm Lances (3): 93
    Trencher Chain Gun Crew: 28
    Trenchers (10): 135

Total cost 741

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    mrgenericmrgeneric __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Uriel wrote:

My Rumble force

Total cost 497

a piece of advice given to me by one of the few warmachine players in my area - it's always a good idea to include a journeyman warcaster in forces commanded by lt. caine. the gun mage has so many useful spells and abilities to spend his focus on (snipe, deadeye, blur, etc) that when utilizing him to full effectiveness he doesn't have the spare focus needed to make those jacks useful.

mrgeneric on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mrgeneric wrote:
    Uriel wrote:

My Rumble force

Total cost 497

a piece of advice given to me by one of the few warmachine players in my area - it's always a good idea to include a journeyman warcaster in forces commanded by lt. caine. the gun mage has so many useful spells and abilities to spend his focus on (snipe, deadeye, blur, etc) that when utilizing him to full effectiveness he doesn't have the spare focus needed to make those jacks useful.
    I dunno, I was planning on using him and his jacks mostly as a hit and run crew with maelstrom and flashing away. But early game using him to buff my long gunners ranges with snipe so they can take potshots at a heavy jacks or the enemy warcaster from across the table, then once he pops maelstrom running back just behind the trencher's dug in position and setting up a defensive line with the warjacks in front then the trenchers then Caine then the long gunners down in the corner somewhere taking stationary shots.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Also, Another concern with the journeyman Warcaster seems to be his Jack Setup, the journeyman Warcaster would have to take the centurion, (jack marshalls can't control Uniques.) and it would prevent Caine from ever forming a Bond with the Centurion, sure bonding might not allways come to play, but Uriel might be interested in League/Campeign type things where bonding is used.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Also, Another concern with the journeyman Warcaster seems to be his Jack Setup, the journeyman Warcaster would have to take the centurion, (jack marshalls can't control Uniques.)

...Uh, Junior's not a Jack Marshal, he's a Warcaster. He can take the Thunderhead just fine. It'd be considered to be in a seperate battle group, though, in case there's any spells that Caine can cast that only affect things in his.

It's not a bad idea, since the Thunderhead really operates best when it can get three focus every turn. (And Caine's a bit of a focus hog, he loves using his focus for his own attacks and spells.) The trick will be keeping Junior alive, since he's going to be made a huge target.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, it's strange then, the Thunderhead is marked INVALID in AoI when I move it's control to the Journeyman. I tried to put a couple lists for Uriel together:

Rumble:

Army: Cygnar
    Faction: Cygnar
    Army Points: 493/500
    Victory Points: 17

Lt. Allister Caine
    Centurion
    Thunderhead
    Stormsmith
    Long Gunners (6)
    Trenchers (6)

GM:
    Faction: Cygnar
    Army Points: 749/750
    Victory Points: 21

Lt. Allister Caine
    Centurion
    Captain Maxwell Finn
    Journeyman Warcaster
    Thunderhead --- INVALID
    Stormsmith
    Long Gunners (10)
    Stormguard (10)
    Trenchers (10)

The 500 list, it was just too hard to get Junior In, the Long Gunner and Trencher count had to be brought low as it is.

the 750, I tried my best, but for some reason it said giving control of the Thunderhead to Junior was invalid.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That's odd, must be a bug in AoI, since there's nothing in the rules that'd prevent it. I'm guessing they used the same code for a 'jack marshal for display/control purposes as Junior.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hello there, bit of a lurker here. Maybe you guys can help me out a bit here - I want to get into the whole tabletop miniature wargame thing. I tried W40k, but tons of tiny models to paint/selling a kidney or two to afford them is a bit prohibitive. So I find this thread, and the OP makes an interesting case for the game. I poke around, and from the sound of it, I can get a working army up for less money [I wouldn't intend to play for more than an hour or two anyway, which a 500 point army sounds good for] and fewer units. Granted, the specific gameplay mechanics are fuzzy for me, and I don't know how alot of the sides play...though, upon reading "gunmage" and "shocklance", I did find myself...curiously aroused. :D

In any case, I figure I'll find a store, and go ask - and I run into a problem. You see, I'd been relying on a GW outlet for Warhammer things, and I know of no other such shops in th' San Francisco area - I'm a little hesistant to join clubs, either, I'd just kind of like to be able to walk in and watch, ask questions, get a feel for things, much like I'd done at the GW store. The problem compounds when usage of the internet seems to turn up nothing in the way of stores...

So what I'm asking, I suppose, is if anyone knows of such a store in SF, or have any particular hints for tracking them down?

Graycoin on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looking at like Shrimpy's list...

Is the game built around the caster/mechs or little individual people? I think I'd be more likely to get into the game if an army for 3 or 4 robots and a caster was regular rather than a few robots, a caster, and four dozen infantry.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Looking at like Shrimpy's list...

Is the game built around the caster/mechs or little individual people? I think I'd be more likely to get into the game if an army for 3 or 4 robots and a caster was regular rather than a few robots, a caster, and four dozen infantry.

To Be Fair, Uriel uses 2 Very Expensive ones.

In my Menoth List, I use around 3 of the Jacks. but I still make sure to have plenty of the Infantry too, they're kinda Important.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm thinking about going infantry-heavy Khador with 1-2 jacks for heavy support.

Echo on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been trying a new list for Khador 500

Vladimir, Dark Prince of Umbrey 78
    Juggernaut Heavy Warjack 105
    Spriggan Heavy Warjack 132
    Iron Fang Uhlans (3) 80-something
    Kossite Woodsmen (9) 82

Opinions?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Here is my thunderhead, it's pretty much as good as I can get it. It looks alot better in real life rather than the picture though.

thfront.jpg

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't know if you guys check out the PP frontpage often, but they're soon to be releasing a line of pirate themed Mercs for Warmachine.
    Including a pirate jack: The Mariner
    lrg-359-41039-mariner-box-set.jpg

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, I got really interested in the pirate mercs. They have a huge-ass cannon too.

Echo on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I require assistance placing what this model's components are from.

Brutewarboss.jpg

Brutewarbossandregularwarboss.jpg

Ork20brute20warboss202.jpg

I can place where the head is from, obviously, as it's a 40k thing, but I must know where this torso came from so I can get one. The guy that made it over on a different forum refuses to disclose the information because I guess he likes being a dick like that. Any ideas? I don't recognize it at all.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    These new pirate mercs are the greatest thing in the history of ever.

Especially this one...

41046-Bosun-Grogspar-blister.jpg

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PMAvers wrote:
    These new pirate mercs are the greatest thing in the history of ever.

Especially this one...

41046-Bosun-Grogspar-blister.jpg

Hmm, so that's one of the officers of Shae's crew. Where is his first mate I'd like to know!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Here is a pic of my Guardian:

Guardian.jpg

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    There is not enough activity in this thread, keep it alive, folks!

Anyway, I had a question, If I ever get into types of gaming that I get to Give my warjacks bonds, what are good bonds for a Guardian, Revenger, and a Devout, respectively?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    TheSnowiestWhaleTheSnowiestWhale Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I picked up Warmachine last year at PAX '06, and have been LOVING my Cryx army ever since. I have an army that's little over 500 points, and I'm Looking to expand it up to 1000 in the near future. Any experienced players for the Dragon Lord out there want to give me some pointers as to where I should look to expand?

Warcaster:
    Skar

Warjacks:
    Slayer
    Deathripper
    Defiler
    Stalker

Troops:
    Mechanithral (x6)
    Satyxis Raiders (x8)
    Scarlock
    Pistol Wraith

As you can no doubt tell, my army is based around speed and that one hit kill. My biggest drawback so far has been my staying power, as my army tends to end up a gooey smudge under the feet of my friend's Khador 'jacks. Should I keep on keeping on for the fast attack, or would some heavier units help me out?

TheSnowiestWhale on
    Gay N00b Laggers
    =GNL=
    Look for us in the pink at PAX '08!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Against Khador, there's no such thing as a one-hit kill.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I picked up Warmachine last year at PAX '06, and have been LOVING my Cryx army ever since. I have an army that's little over 500 points, and I'm Looking to expand it up to 1000 in the near future. Any experienced players for the Dragon Lord out there want to give me some pointers as to where I should look to expand?

Warcaster:
    Skar

Warjacks:
    Slayer
    Deathripper
    Defiler
    Stalker

Troops:
    Mechanithral (x6)
    Satyxis Raiders (x8)
    Scarlock
    Pistol Wraith

As you can no doubt tell, my army is based around speed and that one hit kill. My biggest drawback so far has been my staying power, as my army tends to end up a gooey smudge under the feet of my friend's Khador 'jacks. Should I keep on keeping on for the fast attack, or would some heavier units help me out?

Well, for 750, I would Definitely consider getting that Deathjack, and maybe going for an Epic Warcaster.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This is my new 500 point list

Caster:
    Lt. Allister Caine

Jacks:
    Centurion(1)
    Ironclad (1)

Units:
    Trenchers(8)
    Long gunners(8)

I took out my Thunderhead because I figure he'd be soaking up all of Caine's focus to do as much damage as possible, with this setups I have a strong bodyguard for Caine, and more troops on the field, and I'll still be able to cast all of Caine's neat spells.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ironclad2-1.jpg

Ironclad MK2.

What do you guys think?

Better than my old one?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey, you guys want to hear something funny?

One of my Choir blisters was missing a 30mm base right out of the package, and I contacted Privateer about the replacement base.

I.....I bought that blister at the Privateer booth at PAX' 06...... I think someone is going to get reamed.....

Thank god it was only a missing base!

Clawshrimpy on
This discussion has been closed.