As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warmachine and Hordes: Steam, Blood, & Magic

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    PMAvers wrote: »
    how I'm going to build my own Grind arena.

Here, have some inspiration.

Echo on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My DM wants to start a D&D campaign based in the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting. I'm a little reluctant though, as I sort of had my heart set on classic D&D. Can you guys tell me how it compares as a D&D setting?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The Witchfire trilogy of adventures is goddamn awesomesauce.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    The Witchfire trilogy of adventures is goddamn awesomesauce.

Is that the set of modules that takes you from 1-7?
    I think that's the one he just ordered.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yep. I read it through and was all "oooh how do I pressgang people into letting me DM this for them?"

Echo on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    from what i understand the IK kingdom is steam punk, but with lots of cool backstory , and have heard great things about the witchfire trilogy. i wish i could talk my friends into this but to really play we would need to buy the main book and the players guide and then the trilogy wich sounds like droping 100 bucks.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Yep. I read it through and was all "oooh how do I pressgang people into letting me DM this for them?"

Well sweet fucking shit.
    I trust your opinion on these matters. I guess I'll go pick up the character guide so I can know what I'm getting into next weekend.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Iron Kingdoms has a pretty heavy swashbuckling theme going for the Cygnar areas.

Swashbuckling with big stompy steampowered constructs.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Iron Kingdoms has a pretty heavy swashbuckling theme going for the Cygnar areas.

Swashbuckling with big stompy steampowered constructs.

That's what he tells me.
    I think I'm gonna roll a swashbuckling rogue.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's a pretty cool setting. If I were going to get back into playing and had to choose a premade setting, this would be at the top of the list.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    PMAvers wrote: »
    how I'm going to build my own Grind arena.

Here, have some inspiration.

Y'know, it's funny, but I had actually *read* those articles a while back, and had forgotten I had.

I think I'm going to try to follow the one in NQ10, though. I *really* dig the whole theme with the chain grid flooring.

And, yes, the IKRPG kicks *so* much ass. IMO, it's easily the best-written d20 setting.

I did dig the WFT as well. Ran it about half-way through, and it's on "haitus" due to scheduling concerns. Make sure the GM remembers that it was originally written before the IKCG came out. Greatcoats will basically make the first few encounter pretty frickin' trivial.

EDIT:
    Draeven wrote: »
    i wish i could talk my friends into this but to really play we would need to buy the main book and the players guide and then the trilogy wich sounds like droping 100 bucks.

Honestly, all you really need is the IKCG. There's enough in the CG about the world that the IKWG isn't needed... unless you really want the extra detail. The WG is great, but you have to think of it like a gazetter. It really gets down to the brass tacts about how the world works. Talks about cities, imports, exports, notable places to visit, the railways and how they interact with the towns, etc.

Still recommend getting it eventually, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    learethleareth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That's Ye Olde Khador Gap.

Must..resist...urge... to sexually...harass... MODERATOR!

Errm... I'm better now.

Thanks, that was exactly what I thought but it always help to have someone verify that you aren't going crazy and assembling it wrong.

leareth on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bruan wrote: »
    I wish I could play two games a week. I tend to play on and off. I gave away all my cygnar stuff and focused on my hordes.

Trollbloods and Everblight :)

Do you own the Forsaken or Seraphs yet? If yes, why do you hate fun?

I only own one Seraph! No Forsaken yet.

I"ve really been focusing on my trolls. They are awesome :)

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    After spending the last month or so putting together and painting a ton of WHF stuff, I decided it was time to get my Hordes models out of the closet and getback to work on them. MY warpwolf is done, and my Kaya had a horrible coat of base colors on her. I decided to get to work on an argus. Starting with some wolf grey, black, and a touch of brown for a little life, I think it came out pretty well. I need to go back and finish up the leather, add claws, and touch up the metallics on my armor pieces. It's not as good as the warpwolf I did, but the larger model size and beginners luck meant that one came out very well.

I'm very tempted to go to the store and by a Woldwarden or another caster. So temtped. Maybe I'll start painting my Legion box set instead. I'm trying to come up with a cool hellish red/orange skin tone for these dudes.

In progress Argus images:
    DSCN0180.jpg
    DSCN0179.jpg

zenpotato on
  • Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    awesome stuff. i'm working on trollbloods myself.

just so you know, Baldur = woldwarden king. kreuger is generally badass and is a killer assassin.

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Err... let's append that. Krueger is a God who rains hate and thunder on his foes from somewhere around 12 inches away. Menoth's choir? Lunch!

I have two friends who play Orboros, and Krueger is their primary caster, simply because he has so much use. He makes everyone in his control area harder to shoot, uses chain lightning, and can create fantastic thunderstorms. Let's not forget that he has a knockdown/knockback spell. Fantastic.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

just so you know, Baldur = woldwarden king. kreuger is generally badass and is a killer assassin.

Bladur is "the Stonecleaver," aka guy with big stone sword.

Krueger calls down lightning and tornadoes.

edit: "Krueger is a God who rains hate and thunder on his foes from somewhere around 12 inches away"
    10 inches with a power 12 for forked and hits 1+d3 enemies.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    So yeah, I went down to the game shop today, and ended up talking to the owner. He didn't have any GW stuff in (complaint about GW telling him to sell this stuff, and if it didn't sell they'd reimburse, and then not reimbursing. ANYWAY), but had plenty of Warmachine/Hordes. Gave me a heads up, ran through the models and what not, and invited me back Thursday to come play some demo games.

Anyway, a big stickling point for me is apparently you only have to buy one fucking book to play, as opposed to ten different codexes to know what the hell is going on? I'll probably pick up an army box once I get paid, along with a rulebook.

As far as armies go, I'm not sure whether to play something shooty, some in your facey, or something technical. Menoth, Legion, Trollbloods, and Skorne all look interesting, as far as "style" and "super duper keen looking" go, but I'm also not looking to play the vanilla flavor of the game (IE Space Marines) that everyone and their kid brother has two armies of.

If someone who plays could give me a heads up, or a more indepth look athte above armies, I'd be appreciative.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So yeah, I went down to the game shop today, and ended up talking to the owner. He didn't have any GW stuff in (complaint about GW telling him to sell this stuff, and if it didn't sell they'd reimburse, and then not reimbursing. ANYWAY), but had plenty of Warmachine/Hordes. Gave me a heads up, ran through the models and what not, and invited me back Thursday to come play some demo games.

Anyway, a big stickling point for me is apparently you only have to buy one fucking book to play, as opposed to ten different codexes to know what the hell is going on? I'll probably pick up an army box once I get paid, along with a rulebook.

As far as armies go, I'm not sure whether to play something shooty, some in your facey, or something technical. Menoth, Legion, Trollbloods, and Skorne all look interesting, as far as "style" and "super duper keen looking" go, but I'm also not looking to play the vanilla flavor of the game (IE Space Marines) that everyone and their kid brother has two armies of.

If someone who plays could give me a heads up, or a more indepth look athte above armies, I'd be appreciative.

Yes, you only need one book to play (Prime: Remix) to play. Then, each unit you buy has a stat card with all the rules you need to know. So, yeah you don't need to buy a dozen books to play.

As far as the armies are concerned, well, to be honest - they are all very well balanced. There isn't one 'vanilla' army that everyone plays (though, I suppose Cygnar would be the closest). In fact, a lot of people simply play every army since you only need so few models to play. Just to reiterate again - EVERY FACTION IS GOOD, damn good in fact. Pretty much every warcaster is totally 'broken' - so it all kind of comes out even.

I highly, HIGHLY, reccomend that you pick an army you enjoy the look of. This is because any army can pretty much be bent to play whatever you want to, effectively.

From what you listed, Menoth is a very "flexible" army. It's got some really solid Jacks, very solid units, and some great warcasters. It also has a ton of 'special abilities' floating around on pretty much every unit. It can do just about anything extremely well.

Trollbloods are fucking awesome. They are big THUGS. Their units are insanely tough and great in melee combat. Pretty much every unit has Tough (only killed with their last wound gone on a 5,6). Their warbeasts can fucking heal themselves every round. It's just ridiculous. They are big, angry, and very very solid.

Skorne are the 'tactical' race of Hordes, as far as I understand. I think they're kind of like Eldar. They have a lot of specialty units and take some experience getting used to.

I don't really know anything about Legion.

Hope that helps. Honestly, just to say one more time - there is no faction in Hordes that 'suck' or are 'overpowered'. This is the big draw of the game for me - every unit / warjack or beast / warcaster or warlock is really good and has its place. There's nothing that's useless. So pick the faction you like the look of the most.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Menoth, Legion, Trollbloods, and Skorne

I'm a fairly recent addition to the Warmachine/Hordes world, but I play Menoth and Legion, so I'll chime in.

As was mentioned, you can play each army in a variety of different ways. Each warcaster/warlock can take the same group of jacks/beasts/etc. and play very differently, so you're not stuck always doing one thing.

First, Protectorate of Menoth. A few things drew me to this faction: fun fluff (burn the heretics!), good looking minis, and a theme that as your guys die, other guys in the army get stronger or harder to kill. There's a lot of cheap, disposable units and solos that are a real pain for your opponent to deal with. Also:

http://www.privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/gallery/default.php?level=picture&id=177

She is awesome.

Protectorate tends to be a bit unit heavy since several of the warcasters either benefit from them dying or have ways of resurrecting or keeping them alive, but it's possible to play jack-heavy, too. The only downside is that, arguably, individually, most of our stuff is weaker compared to the other factions' equivalent stuff. Casters and jacks are a bit more fragile than those in other factions, but there are ways to patch over that with good combinations that have the potential to make our stuff really shine.

Second, Legion. Also very cool. Legion, to me at least, tends to play pretty direct. You want to get in the face of your opponent very quickly because your beasts/units either hit like a truck or will swarm something many times their size/points and keep them tied down. Supposedly, Legion is the "shooty" Hordes army, which is sort of true with the Seraph, archers and striders, but it's so effective at just getting up to the enemy quickly and pounding them into the ground. Unlike Protectorate, Legion beasts and units can work pretty well without much help from anything else, although there are good combinations. It does seem, however, that more folks play Legion than the other Hordes factions, so if you want to be "different", consider that.

Trolls, as was mentioned, hit hard and just won't die. They plod along, laughing at your feeble attempts to try and break through their line.

Skorne, like Protectorate, has a lot of nasty abilities and combinations such that you have no idea what's going to happen next because there are so many options. They have a ton of buffs and debuffs at their disposal. The one thing I learned very quickly about Skorne is that they are WAY faster than they look on paper once everything starts working together.

You mentioned books. Yeah, there are only 4 Warmachine books and 1 Hordes book (with another coming in August, I believe). Everything you need to know about all the factions are in those books.

OK, resources. Check out the Privateer Press forums; there are threads there about how each of the factions work and some info to help you choose your faction:

http://forums.privateerpress.com/

I like the Podthralls. Is a group of players who do a weekly podcast discussing Warmachine and Hordes (and the IK RPG, if you care about that). It's interesting and may be worth a listen. They talk about the different models, how to play them and how to play against them. Not super in-depth generally, but it's a good starting point to help think about what to do.

http://podthralls.com/

One last thing to note. Warmachine has been out for a few years, and Hordes is relatively new. Hordes has a much lower available model count per faction since it's just getting started, which means everyone is on a slightly more even playing field. As you get started, you don't have to worry about your opponent springing one of 10 warcasters on you that you have no idea what it does. In Hordes, everyone has 3 warlocks, 5 warbeasts, 1 solo, and 5 units (plus minions), so there isn't as much to learn about what everyone else does. Having said that, once you start playing, you learn quickly what to do and what to avoid, and you can always ask your opponent to see his/her cards. You'll only fall for a trick once, and then you'll know what to do to avoid it in the future.

Anyway, that's my take on things as a relatively new player. If you have any specific questions about Protectorate/Legion, feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's the difference between the old Prime book and the Remix edition?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Dayspring wrote: »

There have been a few changes to some of the models and there's a big section in the back with rules clarifications and errata. A few models changed since Prime (Scorsha's feat, Haley's Temporal Barrier and the Repenter's fire at least) and the changes aren't on the cards, so you'll want the book to be able to see what those changes are. It also has all the rules from the books combined in the front, so it's your one-stop source for all the rules.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hey Karilmat, thanks for that indepth post. I'm pretty sure I'm going Skorne at this point. I like the idea of having options, and they seem fairly complex enough that there's no "one" formula to be played by them or played against them.

I went to the store today, and apparently the Horde book had sold out. Glory be though, the storeowner told me he'd hold a copy for me on Thursday or Friday, and order a battle box for me on top of it. Looking through the Privateer Press forums, I saw this list and thought to go with it:

Morghoul 57
    -Cyclops 62
    -Cyclops 62
    -Cyclops 62
    -Gladiator 109
    Paingivers x 4 36
    Paingivers x 4 36
    Praetorians x 8 69

I'm thinking of maybe throwing an Ancestral Guardian in there, depending on price, to follow behind the Praetorians and just lose its mind whenever they finally bite the dust. I've got a very basic grasp on things now, so any advice is appreciated.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So it looks like Beasts of Renown (superior versions of existing beasts, but limited to how many you can take) are coming soon for hordes and privateer press has previews of them up on their front page.

The trolls and skorne are cool, and the pureblood warpwolf is nice (not really different enough IMO from the existing warpwolf) But today I saw the Everblight one, and blew one of my testicles across the room. As soon as it stops spinning, I'll retrieve it.

lrg-102-73021-angelius-box-set.jpg
    The six-winged angelius screams into the sky as a pronouncement of Everblight's power. This beast falls like a sword upon its prey, pierces any armor with its barbed tail, and rises again despite all attempts to halt it. Soaring for the first time in two thousand years, the angelius gluts itself on slaughter as the Legion inexorably advances south.

How hot is that?
    I bet that would make an absolutely sick winged tyrant if converted.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Skorne!

Skorne are cool. I don't know a ton about them, but I've faced them a couple of times, and they seem interesting. They seem to play a bit like Protectorate, but more melee than shooty. I'm not sure what the plan is with all those paingivers; I think each beast can only be affected by 1 paingiver a round, so you basically have 2 paingivers for each beast. Are the others for backup, or for offense?
    see317 wrote: »
    Angelius!

That model is hot. I will have one for my Legion army, no matter what it does or doesn't do. =)

EDIT: Spelling

Karilmat on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Karilmat wrote: »
    Skorne!

Skorne are cool. I don't know a ton about them, but I've faced them a couple of times, and they seem interesting. They seem to play a bit like Protectorate, but more melee than shooty. I'm not sure what the plan is with all those paingivers; I think each beast can only be affected by 1 paingiver a round, so you basically have 2 paingivers for each beast. Are the others for backup, or for offense?

From what I'm reading/been told, Paingivers are really good against types of infantry as well as giving your beasts some more snap and allowing you to "run hot" and not worry about your Gladiator Titan or Cyclops losing his nuts. I keep reading they're comparable to Menoth Choir - you can play w/o them, but with few exceptions there's really no reason why.

Out of curiosity, are there painting guides in the main rulebook/boxed sets?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There's some painting tips for each faction, but no step by step guides for Hordes.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I see your giant fleshy dragon thing.... and raise you one Stone Monster.

pip7200734e7972lg2.jpg

I might take some pictures of my Merc Dwarf army and post them today.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Legion olol seraph spam!

i play circle, cygnar and menoth atm. But, I have khador, legion and skorne too.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Karilmat wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »

There have been a few changes to some of the models and there's a big section in the back with rules clarifications and errata. A few models changed since Prime (Scorsha's feat, Haley's Temporal Barrier and the Repenter's fire at least) and the changes aren't on the cards, so you'll want the book to be able to see what those changes are. It also has all the rules from the books combined in the front, so it's your one-stop source for all the rules.

That's cool.
    I have the prime and escalation books from around the time escalation had just been released I think, plus a small force of protectorate and cryxx that I bought and never touched.
    They'll be getting some love over the summer.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Teaser for now.

step9001kr3.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here we go.

step9009sg5.jpg
    step9010eg0.jpg

step9005xx0.jpgstep9006gc1.jpg

step9007co4.jpgstep9008bx9.jpg

step9002dw0.jpg
    step9003xn4.jpgstep9004zb5.jpg

I also have another Driller and 8 Gun/Shield Infantry assembled, but not painted.

And for those of you that play Hordes, is it possible to have an all stone Circle Orboros army? I love those stone constructs.....

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not only is it possible, it's damn effective as well. I think you'd be hard pressed to operate without at least one unit of infantry (of some kind), but as far as beasts go you could easily have a Woldwarden and two Woldwatchers. Baldur is definitely your warcaster here, as he is the only one who can heal constructs.

I'd match that up with some shifting stones and a unit of druids, and you'd be one damn tough nut to crack. You'd own that board.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well now I know what I am starting next.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I was home at lunch and looked up a few numbers in my copy of Primal. You could easily run a 350 point list that went something like:

Baldur
    Woldwarden
    Woldwatcher
    Woldwatcher

That comes out to 340 or so I think. Woldwatchers are the most expensive light warbeast that the Circle has, but they are also awesome, causing forests when they hit, even with their ranged attack.

This is certainly the core of a 500 point list as well. Add in druids, shifting stones, and maybe another light warbeast or infantry unit and you'd be rocking. Literally. :)

zenpotato on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You guys rock, thanks.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    First Warmachine/Horde game tonight! I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I didn't know that PP did paint kits modeled to each army. That's fucking fantastic.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    First Warmachine/Horde game tonight! I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, I didn't know that PP did paint kits modeled to each army. That's fucking fantastic.

Awesome, good luck, and have fun!

A few tips/suggestions from someone who's also relatively new:

1) Don't forget about your feat!
    2) Warmachine and Hordes rewards being aggressive. If you can, go first. Move up as quickly as possible.
    3) (Skorne-specific) With paingivers and Morghul, your cyclops has a HUGE threat range. Take advantage of that.
    4) Make sure that if your warlock can potentially be hurt on your opponent's turn, keep at least one fury on your warlock for transfer and make sure that the warbeast you want to transfer to doesn't have full fury.
    5) You warlock can cast your warbeasts' animuses, and in some cases, you want to do so.
    6) You can rile you warbeasts to give them as much fury as you want, up to their fury stat, even if they run.
    7) You can drop as much fury from your warlock as you want on their turn.
    8) If you are going to send your warlock into melee to kill something, make sure that you can kill it. Warbeasts only need a tiny bit of healing to become 100% effective, and most warlocks are pretty fragile. Morghul has a solid defense that's hard to hit, but if someone slams something into him and knocks him down, his armor won't save him.

That's about all I got. Let us know how you do!

Karilmat on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Typhus733 wrote: »

Bladur is "the Stonecleaver," aka guy with big stone sword.

Krueger calls down lightning and tornadoes.

edit: "Krueger is a God who rains hate and thunder on his foes from somewhere around 12 inches away"
    10 inches with a power 12 for forked and hits 1+d3 enemies.

NERDFIGHT: I was referring to his feat, here. Drop 3 AOES, all moving, completely within his control area? Remove one a round?

That's what I meant, son.

Also, everything Karilmat said is gold++. If you're fighting hordes, you feat is very useful.

Anthrax! Please. on
This discussion has been closed.