As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Magnetic

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just don't have enough of a sense of humor to spend much time with parody.

--

13 times? o_O

I've barely read anything more than once, ever, unless it was a poem I was memorizing or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't even stomach enough of Hitchhiker's Guide to finish it, and it ain't exactly long.

We can't be lovers anymore.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't even stomach enough of Hitchhiker's Guide to finish it, and it ain't exactly long.

We can't be lovers anymore.
    What if I write my own parody of Hitchhiker's Guide, and then read that? Can we resume being lovers? Can we at least be lovers as a parody of our former, loving relationship?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Of course, just because it's subjective doesn't mean you're not all wrong.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What if I write my own parody of Hitchhiker's Guide, and then read that? Can we resume being lovers? Can we at least be lovers as a parody of our former, loving relationship?

After consulting the oracle, I have found this course of action permissible.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I just don't have enough of a sense of humor to spend much time with parody.

--

13 times? o_O

I've barely read anything more than once, ever, unless it was a poem I was memorizing or something.

Yeah, once is generally enough for me too. I usually remember what happens anyway.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    13 times? o_O

It was like in one week. I had a bunch of really easily classes (was freshmen year, high school) and I just didn't want to pay attention to the teachers anymore (rar rebellious youth) so I'd just read in class while other people took notes. Like I said, I could burn right through it so sometimes I read it two or three times in a day.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    13 times? o_O

It was like in one week. I had a bunch of really easily classes (was freshmen year, high school) and I just didn't want to pay attention to the teachers anymore (rar rebellious youth) so I'd just read in class while other people took notes. Like I said, I could burn right through it so sometimes I read it two or three times in a day.

I did this with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas my senior year. just read it all fucking year, reading maybe 3 other books as well (each once, F&L whenever I finished one and had nothing else, I'd read it until I bought another book)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    The best part of the series for me was that guy that went around the universe insulting people in alphabetical order. And the reincarnations of the fly Arthur kept killing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really wish I had read F&L before I saw the movie. The movie was such a faithful adaptation I just couldn't help but just see the movie in my head as I read it, when I know the book could've been so much more.

Luckily, the copy of the rum diary sitting on my shelf has not yet been spoiled in movie form.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    13 times? o_O

You rebel you!

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really wish I had read F&L before I saw the movie. The movie was such a faithful adaptation I just couldn't help but just see the movie in my head as I read it, when I know the book could've been so much more.

Speaking of overrated.....

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I know I was such a cool kid reading books and shit. Had to beat the ladies off of me so they wouldn't just blow me right in class.

Tough times man, but bitches gotta know their place, ya know what I'm saying dawg?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I've been on the forums for over five years, now. And a mod for over two.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

Time flies, I've been on the forum for a similar amount of time. It just doesn't really register, ya know?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    13 times? o_O

I don't know if I've read any book 13 times, but I've definitely reached 5 times. It was probably Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. For me, it's not about reading for content as for experience. Yeah I knew the plot of Pride and Prejudice by heart after the first time or two, but I enjoy re-experiencing the emotions that come up when I read the book. It's the same thing with movies.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jane Eyre?

Maybe it's because I have a penis but....ew.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    old man old man old man

EDIT: The book I've read the most is probably The Handmaid's Tale, at four or so times.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Time flies, I've been on the forum for a similar amount of time. It just doesn't really register, ya know?
    Yeah, but you haven't been a mod for two years. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How is being a mod? Sounds kind of...I want to say it sounds interesting yet not that rewarding?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I know I was such a cool kid reading books and shit. Had to beat the ladies off of me so they wouldn't just blow me right in class.

Tough times man, but bitches gotta know their place, ya know what I'm saying dawg?

Bronislaw Malinowski knows what you are saying. In his book i'm reading, Argonauts of the Western Pacific, he says that when he was left all by himself on his ethnographic fieldwork he would read novels over and over much like a normal person would resort to drinking. Nerdy.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My opinion about Pride and Prejudice can be summed up by my dropping the class where the teacher was going to base the whole class on that book. I have yet to read past the first chapter. THAT WAS ENOUGH.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How is being a mod? Sounds kind of...I want to say it sounds interesting yet not that rewarding?
    It depends on how much you enjoy being hated.

And schadenfreude.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My opinion about Pride and Prejudice can be summed up by my dropping the class where the teacher was going to base the whole class on that book. I have yet to read past the first chapter. THAT WAS ENOUGH.
    There was only one book I ever attempted to read where I couldn't get past the first chapter.

That honor goes to Crime and Punishment. Dostoevsky is just far, far too dense for me to read enjoyably. I have to work far too hard to parse him and his this-paragraph-goes-on-for-three-pages style.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And schadenfreude.

God I want to use that word in day to day conversation SO often but fuck if I know how to pronounce it right.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That honor goes to Crime and Punishment. Dostoevsky is just far, far too dense for me to read enjoyably. I have to work far too hard to parse him and his this-paragraph-goes-on-for-three-pages style.

I really enjoyed the first half of Notes From the Underground but god the second half blew.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And schadenfreude.
    God I want to use that word in day to day conversation SO often but fuck if I know how to pronounce it right.
    The Americanized pronunciation is "shod-en-frood."

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos is 100% correct

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have yet to encounter a book I couldn't read due to language, though plenty I have found unenjoyable. P&P was just too incredibly shitty and stupid for me to handle, though I've heard some say it was a parody, but man, that is some Scary Movie kind of shit. I have not tried Crime and Punishment though. I mean really I watched plenty of Law & Order already so I'm set for crime drama. :P

--

So. I have one last wonderful wonderful day in Seattle, Sexy Queen of Cities, before I must return to my own private hell. Anyone reccomend any clubs within sane walking distance of Pine and Bellevue? I have walked for many many many tens of blocks, so I am not really up for cross-country clubbing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jane Austen is also highly overrated.

the Brontës are good tho.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Im going to go ahead an pump Fahrenheit 451 as having great writing style again.

It has great style and flow, great language use. One of the best books i've ever read.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Someday, I will get an Awesome Post

I think I need to change my strategy, though. No one Awesomes anything which is long and elaborate. It's all zingers. I need ... a long and elaborate zinger which is also short and succinct and Oboroesque.

I can do this.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The wiki makes it sound more like: shad-en-freud (as in the philosopher).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really should read 451 one of these days, but any time a book's message is so well known it makes it really hard for me to bother reading.

I crave NEW ideas, not shit I'm going to go "well fucking dur" to.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The wiki is not to be believed

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

The wiki is not to be believed

:cry:

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really should read 451 one of these days, but any time a book's message is so well known it makes it really hard for me to bother reading.

I crave NEW ideas, not shit I'm going to go "well fucking dur" to.
    451 is a very, very short/quick read and surprisingly interesting despite its idea being 'tired' and well-known. The Mechanical Hound is fantastic, for one.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And schadenfreude.

Sha-den-froy-duh

E's at the end of German words are always pronounced as an 'uh'.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, my sleep schedule should be sacked.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Someday, I will get an Awesome Post

I think I need to change my strategy, though. No one Awesomes anything which is long and elaborate. It's all zingers. I need ... a long and elaborate zinger which is also short and succinct and Oboroesque.

I can do this.

Show us your mighty word power. I want to see somthing long but short and complex but succinct. Then maybe you can make up down as well and turn dogs into cats.

JebusUD on
This discussion has been closed.