As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Diggle interview on DD at Newsarama:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/030924-DD-Diggle.html

Just wonder if Lark will be on the book still.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I am totally stoked about the direction Daredevil is going right now in this Kingpin arc.
    Matt and Wilson teaming up to take on the Hand?

Awesome!

Also, next month's cover is pretty cool, but I'm catching a very angry vibe from him.
    dd118_cvr.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My Cup O' Joe re: Brubaker leaving DD.
    I think he’s had a workload that just felt like “one book too many,” and he’s told all the Daredevil stories he feels he needs to for right now.
    Eh.

Giant-ass version of the DD #500 cover by Marko. (5750x2926!)

Backup just in case.
    th_23763_DAREDEVIL500_COVERSPREAD_FINAL1_low_122_350lo.jpg

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Have they announced who's going to be taking over the book?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah. Andy Diggle in July with DD #501.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Diggle was the one that did Batman Confidential for a while, right? I think that's the only thing I've ever read by him. He did the arc that was primarly about Wayne Enterprises vs Lexcorp, right?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Diggle's current writing the very awesome Thunderbolts.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Diggle wrote the very good Losers series from Vertigo, and save from the shit last page of the last issue, the guy really knows how to do action while progressing the plot.

If he re-teams with Jock, that would be fun.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    haha, i liked the last page.

"fuck you, company man!"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I always got it as less the finger to DC/Vertigo, and more to the reader, the "company" man in that they didn't continue to buy the book. Plus, I always thought Jensen was Diggle put in the book for self satisfaction thinking he's so cool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i read it all in trades and never even considered the fact that the finger was to anyone but the CIA, much less DC/Vertigo or me personally.

i mean, as far as i know, he'd never even intended for the series to go on as long as it had and it was only reader and editorial enthusaism that lead diggle to play it out as long as he did.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    i've read the first 2 hellblazer trades which diggle wrote and they've been rock solid...

you gents pretty much have me convinced to go pick up a whole stack of DD trades. my thanks for regally fucking my wallet...

manji on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    manji wrote: »
    i've read the first 2 hellblazer trades which diggle wrote and they've been rock solid...

you gents pretty much have me convinced to go pick up a whole stack of DD trades. my thanks for regally fucking my wallet...

I feel for you man. I got into to Daredevil from people talking about it at my comic shop. Thankfully said comic shop was having a huge back-issue sale and I got the entire BMB Daredevil run for about half I would have paid for the omnibus that just came out. I have all of Brubaker's run in trade format and the Kevin Smith run in a kickass 10th anniversary hardcover. I also have the trade of David Mack's first run but honestly it's been kinda hard to read due to the writing style. I don't have Bob Gale's run though or the second David Mack Echo story.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    y'know, i just finished the new "lady bullseye" trade, and dang it if brubaker isn't a master of making me care about a book's supporting cast just as much as i care about the main character. like bucky and agent 13 and sam carter in cap, i didn't even realize how much i'd grown to like carlos
    until the moment he showed up having been turned by the hand. i was like aw shit, not carlos! i really hope they manage to bring him back from that.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    y'know, i just finished the new "lady bullseye" trade, and dang it if brubaker isn't a master of making me care about a book's supporting cast just as much as i care about the main character. like bucky and agent 13 and sam carter in cap, i didn't even realize how much i'd grown to like carlos
    until the moment he showed up having been turned by the hand. i was like aw shit, not carlos! i really hope they manage to bring him back from that.

Yeah, Carlos is awesome. Brubaker really is the master of the supporting cast. Daredevil and Captain America are my favorite two monthlies, and I'm sad that Brubaker is leaving DD.

Brubaker has done awesome stuff with Dakota too. Even before the whole affair thing, she was a fun part of the book.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My Cup O' Joe re: Brubaker leaving DD.
    I think he’s had a workload that just felt like “one book too many,” and he’s told all the Daredevil stories he feels he needs to for right now.
    Eh.

Giant-ass version of the DD #500 cover by Marko. (5750x2926!)

Backup just in case.
    th_23763_DAREDEVIL500_COVERSPREAD_FINAL1_low_122_350lo.jpg

For those more in the know than I am who are:

The guy on to the left of Mr Fear, on the tip of Murdock's chin (I thought Cage, but I think he's on the far right by Iron Fist, unless he's there twice)
    The guy with the red hair and beard on the playing cards
    The guy with white hair on Kingpin's lower left

Overall, it's nicely done but maybe a bit too busy. Though anniversary covers seem to tend to be that way.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ah, from the looks of it, the spikey armor thing that the gentleman to the left of mr fear is sporting seems to indicate it's melvin potter aka the gladiator.

the red hair and playing cards guy looks like leland owlsley aka the owl.

and pretty sure the guy with white hair is tombstone.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That all makes sense, I just wasn't connecting the dots.

You do have to give me that gladiator looks exactly like they're doing a happy/angry Luke Cage thing. The other two, I just outright missed, though once you said it I got it.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    well, the goatee thing is weird. to the best of my recollection, normally he just has a mustache. i might be misremembering.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think the red haired guy is supposed to be the Owl(?) Not 100% positive, but his hair is sticking way to the side like Owl's does.

Again, I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure all the characters in that cover have appeared in the current DD continuity. None of them are obscure silver age characters. They are all characters that have been used by Smith, Bendis, Mack, or Brubaker. I don't recall Tombstone making an appearance in last 117 issues.

The white glowy eyes almost make me want to say its Izo, the guy that's been helping Matt fight the Hand.
    Edit: Ahh nevermind. Izo doesn't wear a suit & tie.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tombstone was in the second arc Brubaker did, with Daredevil in Europe.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oh right. I forgot about his Europe trip.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just read the Lady Bullseye tpb and I loved it. I don't know why people think LB isn't an interesting character as I thought Brubaker made her not only strong but smart. And the last part was a hell of a cliffhanger.

Oh yeah and any story with a Zatoichi character gets extra points in my book.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    i loved the bit where she was like "trends are for sheep". sure, lady bullseye.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is a second Bendis omnibus ever coming out?

You guys have me really interested now, and I'm considering trying to play catch-up before the creative team transition.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

You guys have me really interested now, and I'm considering trying to play catch-up before the creative team transition.

A second Bendis DD omnibus should come out eventually but who knows when. Marvel is releasing a Brubaker DD omnibus with his first 4 arcs (issues 82-105) of the story in April I think. I'm still clinging to hope that the third Powers hardcover will come out this year but I'm probably deluding myself.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

A second Bendis DD omnibus should come out eventually but who knows when. Marvel is releasing a Brubaker DD omnibus with his first 4 arcs (issues 82-105) of the story in April I think. I'm still clinging to hope that the third Powers hardcover will come out this year but I'm probably deluding myself.

That

Is

Balls.

It's the prison arc and the stuff leading up to it that I'm most interested in, so I guess I'll just be hanging around till Bendis Vol 2 shows. The wait'll probably be good for me, since I'm broke right now anyway.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

That

Is

Balls.

It's the prison arc and the stuff leading up to it that I'm most interested in, so I guess I'll just be hanging around till Bendis Vol 2 shows. The wait'll probably be good for me, since I'm broke right now anyway.

Thankfully the Brubaker DD omnibus is only $75 instead of $100 like the first Bendis one. The second Bendis DD omnibus should be only $75 as well due to the remaining run being a little over 20 issues.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And that's why they screwed themselves with the Omnibus, they put too much in the first volume.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And that's why they screwed themselves with the Omnibus, they put too much in the first volume.

The second Brubaker Omnibus is going to have what, 16 issues in it? It's going to be one issue larger than the first OHC.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The Fraction/Brubaker Iron Fist omnibus only has around 20 issues total.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the whole trades/ big HC/ omnibus thing stopped me in my tracks last week.

the big hard cover is the first 2 trades right (smith, then mack)? what does the omnibus cover?

probably i'll leave the omnibus and go with either the trades or the hc's (capt america omnibus appeals far more if i'm going to kick out that much cash in 1 sitting).

any advice on which way to go?

manji on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hardcovers. The first hardcover now comes with issue #12, which was a fill-in but they removed it because they're snobs, then put it back in the issue only to put it at the end of the HC and put a page explaining why it isn't good enough to be in the first printing of the HC. It was a good story.

They skipped over the first Bendis arc and Bob Gale's arc, then go directly into the Bendis then Brubaker run.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, the decisions surrounding these DD omnibi infuriate me. Why would they jump ahead and put the Brubaker stuff in an omnibus without having finished up Bendis' run? To further compound things, volumes 11 & 12 of Bendis' run are out of stock everywhere you look. This leaves someone such as myself (and many others) who would otherwise buy the Brubaker omnibus out in the cold since I don't want to skip two dozen issues.

In short, it would be nice if Marvel allowed me to buy their stuff.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Now that I think about it, the next Brubaker DD omnibus will have only around 16 issues or so, assuming Return of the King doesn't go over 6. Does that even count as an omnibus? Or just an over-sized hardcover?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wow I had to dig around a bit to find this thread. Anyway I'm finally bitting the bullet and replacing my single issues of Bendis's Daredevil run with the 2 Omnibus's. I noticed that the second Omnibus, hopefully coming out by Christmas, has the last 20 issues plus something called Daredevil: Ninja and What If Karen Page lived? Can anyone give me some info on these?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Daredevil Ninja was one of Bendis' first Marvel works, even before his Wake Up arc with David Mack.

It has Rob Haynes art and is pretty light to read, with a lot of Bendis-speak. As the name implies, it deals with the Hand wanting the baby that Matt saved in Smith's arc, and lots of fighting.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, and looking at my previous post, I'm still wondering how the second Brubaker Omnibus will be collected. There's only 3 volumes and 15 issues left. Maybe the Bob Gale issues will finally see print in trade format? Can't think of any other Daredevil miniseries to fill it out.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HerzogIIHerzogII Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Love Daredevil as well although have not kept up on all the various volumes and stories since the Romita Jr and Williamson "The Man Without Fear" series. Some good info in this thread, I will have to start reading :)

This is my fav cover of all Daredevil, good ole' Frank and Klaus:

1681.jpg

HerzogII on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have updated the OP with information regarding issue 500 and 501 and the new creative team.

If you are not reading Daredevil, you should be. It has been pure awesome for over 10 years and we have every indication that it will continue to be awesome under the new creative team.

For anyone who is visiting Graphic Violence from other PA forums, Daredevil is a great comic to try. If you are interested in comics but don't know where to start, this is one of the best places to do so.

Comic continuity can be scary, and the beautiful thing about Daredevil is that it has retained a pure and unbroken continuity for over 10 years. Not once has it been interfered with by crossover events or editorially mandated stories. The entire run is also available in trade paperback, usually around $10-15 dollars per book, as well as an Omnibus of the Brian Michael Bendis run, which is legendary.

Lucascraft on