As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    well, he can almost see with his sonar in the comic as well. he can't see colors, but he knows where everything is.

I understand his other senses were enhanced when he lost his sight.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    well, he can almost see with his sonar in the comic as well. he can't see colors, but he knows where everything is.

Yesssss....

And your point?

He can still "see" much like in the movie, but it's not like he can say "goddamn check out the cans on the check in the red shirt"

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

Yesssss....

And your point?

He can still "see" much like in the movie, but it's not like he can say "goddamn check out the cans on the check in the red shirt"

The point, I imagine, is that his heightened senses present new experiences in lieu of the old ones he's lost, like being able to see a pair of knockers, and there's no reason he can't enjoy these new experiences as much or more than the ones he lost.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Having four enhanced senses by losing one, is way better than five normal senses. I just did not like the way the movie " explained " his powers.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Having four enhanced senses by losing one, is way better than five normal senses. I just did not like the way the movie " explained " his powers.

What happens when Matt needs to defuse a ticking time bomb? "Cut the red wire, Murdock!"

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He would use his sense of touch to figure out the correct wire to cut. Then beat up the person for that lame request. " Colors? You told me to locate a color? "

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It seems like his other senses have gotten stronger as the character has aged, though. But I guess that's true for most Marvel characters. It seems like Frank Miller ramped up his senses, and every subsequent writer has tried to do the same.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    It seems like his other senses have gotten stronger as the character has aged, though. But I guess that's true for most Marvel characters. It seems like Frank Miller ramped up his senses, and every subsequent writer has tried to do the same.

I think it is silly to enhance powers just to make a writer look better.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Argh, Amazon finally restocked the first Bendis Daredevil omnibus. Eventually I might just break down and get it, along with the second one in December. I still need to get rid of my single issues though. Tried Ebay once but no one bid. Maybe I'll call around to some comic shops.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DareDevil needs a new suit. Yep, when in doubt change your costume.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    there is no reason to change his suit

there is no reason to change his powers

I am not getting your perceived problem with Daredevil

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daredevil's cool, but wouldn't he be cooler if he was an actual devil? You could give him real horns instead of those lame fakes and he could ditch the billy club in favor of a pitchfork that shoots hellfire. He could also stop fighting lame human foes and start fighting renegade angels instead, which would be way more epic.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daredevil's cool, but wouldn't he be cooler if he was an actual devil? You could give him real horns instead of those lame fakes and he could ditch the billy club in favor of a pitchfork that shoots hellfire. He could also stop fighting lame human foes and start fighting renegade angels instead, which would be way more epic.
    Faynor wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    He doesn't need a better "gimmick". You don't need to break a goddamn character to make it "mainstream" when it's doing just fine doing what it's supposed to.

Maybe Daredevil could die and then the Hand resurrects him and he becomes an actual devil?

wait wait wait

Battlin' Jack Murdock was an actual devil, and that makes Matt Murdock half-devil. He can start fighting supernatural stuff while he harangues about the evil inside of him.

Someone call Chuck Austen. Let's get this shit movin'.

Daredevil could become the new Ghost Rider and the new Sorcerer Supreme, with a really bitching flaming skull costume with horns and a blind fold (because he's blind, you see) and then he could singlehandedly fight everyone ever.

You idea stealin' son of a bitch

Faynor on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    robos that is a fantastic idea

I will give you lots of money for it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TLB, why must you do a thing

Faynor on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You guys never read Fall From Grace, hmmmmm?

There was an actual devil that went after Matt, who then died that had a perfect match of Matt's DNA, which he used to fake the death of Matt Murdock so he could take up the persona of Jack Battlin' and kick ass in his black and red armor.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jack Battlin is the stupidest alias ever. Why did he want to go undercover anyway?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He had one of those Batman moments where he realized he does more good as DD than as Matt Murdock.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    You guys never read Fall From Grace, hmmmmm?

There was an actual devil that went after Matt, who then died that had a perfect match of Matt's DNA, which he used to fake the death of Matt Murdock so he could take up the persona of Jack Battlin' and kick ass in his black and red armor.

I liked his black and red armor.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Me, too. I have a sweet statue of DD in his red and black armor. Those were the only Daredevil stories I read before Bendis and Brubaker.

Hensler on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Jack Battlin is the stupidest alias ever. Why did he want to go undercover anyway?

which is funny, because i think Battlin' Jack would be a pretty good superhero name actually

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

which is funny, because i think Battlin' Jack would be a pretty good superhero name actually

Sounds to much like a war hero from WW2. :P

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At this point is it more cost effective to buy the omnibii of Bendis and Brubakers runs and then start the Diggle stuff in issues\trades? Or just hunt down deals on trades? I've read all the Bendis stuff, but i want to own it for myself (i borrowed it all)

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Your best bet for pricing is to hop on Amazon.com and do a bit of research there. I would imagine that the Omnibus would be your best bet, although you will be missing a few stories if you take that route. Guardian Devil and Parts of a Hole are the first two trades and they won't be collected in any omnibus. Both are good stories and well worth reading if you fancy yourself a Daredevil fan.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    IMO, Parts of Hole is highly overrated, the only nice thing about it is Quesada's artwork.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Maybe its because I have a thing for muscle mimics, but I really like Echo and the Parts of a Hole story. Yes, Quesada's art is awesome in it, but I liked the story too. It would be cool to see Echo be brought back into the regular cast of DD. She'd fit well with Black Tarantula and White Tiger as Matt's unofficial Hell's Kitchen Super Team.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The weird thing is that I like Echo too now, but only when Bendis writes her. When Mack writes her I don't really care for her. That Echo arc right after DD became the Kingpin in DD#50 was one of those stories where it just felt fake, like Mack couldn't tell anything worthwhile but he was hiding it behind his art (Wolverine shows up, for the love of pete).

TexiKen on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've read Guardian Devil and Parts of a Hole, they're on the list, though i'm looking at the major timeline.

Also, Amazon lists the first Bendis Omnibus as "Collects Daredevil #16-19, #26-60", what was issues 20-25? It was Smith, then Mack until 15 right?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yes, Vision Quest was terrible. But it also wasn't even a DD story. He was barely in it. He was in like two panels in the first issue of the arc. The whole thing was just a worthless side story about Echo trying to make peace with herself, and it sucked. Of course, she didn't do much muscle mimicry either.

I've only read Vision Quest once. Whenever I'm re-reading my DD I always skip it. It isn't really even a story. Its just a few issues of expressionist art by David Mack.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Parts of a Hole isn't very good but it is kinda required reading to understand later plot points like Fisks condition in the Bendis run.

As for costs, if you get both the Bendis omnibus's on Amazon you'd pay around $126 after discount. The first Brubaker ominbus would set you back around $48 after discount and the second hasn't been solicited anywhere yet but would probably be the same price. Oh and about Guardian Devil, Marvel released an awesome 10th anniversary hardcover last year so get that instead of the trade while Parts of a Hole has only been released in trade format so far.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    H*R wrote: »
    I've read Guardian Devil and Parts of a Hole, they're on the list, though i'm looking at the major timeline.

Also, Amazon lists the first Bendis Omnibus as "Collects Daredevil #16-19, #26-60", what was issues 20-25? It was Smith, then Mack until 15 right?

20-25 was a great little Bob Gale/Phil Winslade story where it was someone wanting to sue DD for damaging their property while he was fighting baddies. The Jester shows up at a bank, DD arrives to beat him up, and he's served with a court papers because that was the only way to serve DD. Great fun arc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never read the Daredevil Bob Gale story but Bendis recently praised it in a podcast and said it was a victim of bad timing. Shame Marvel never released a collected addition for it as far as I know.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah the Bob Gale arc was great. Its too bad they've never collected it in trade. I think part of the reason is that it sort of breaks the flow and rhythm of Bendis' run so they left it out of the numbered trades.

My favorite part in it is where Matt is the attorney who defends DD, and its Peter Parker dressed as DD in the courtroom.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It is a shame they never collected it. Looking back it was a filler (Gale and Winslade also did a nice Spidey/DD mini), but it was a good one, they recognized that hey, Matt can have some fun stories every now and then.

Bob Gale's Amazing Spider-Man stuff may have been bad, but that DD arc and his short arc on Batman during No Man's Land are some really good stories.

I think I have the issues still, I'm going to put some in the GD Batguy thread.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I really need to find back-issues of the Gale arc. My DD collection of issues begins at #70. Everything I have before that is in trade. One day when I have lots of money I'd like to go back and fill in the first 70 issues to complete my collection.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Back to what's most cost effective, if you get the first four Daredevil Brubaker trades (which the first omnibus collects) you'd save almost $10 compared to the omnibus. And there are only 3 trades left after that so you'd pay around $30-$35 total instead of around $48.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Back to what's most cost effective, if you get the first four Daredevil Brubaker trades (which the first omnibus collects) you'd save almost $10 compared to the omnibus. And there are only 3 trades left after that so you'd pay around $30-$35 total instead of around $48.

That is really good advice. Sometimes we do not think about price, we just want to read the comics. Extra money is always good times.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd still recommend both the Bendis omnibus's over the trades no matter the price difference though. The first omnibus is so well put together and the second one looks about the same with the added bonus of the three issue Daredevil: Ninja miniseries and What If Karen Page had lived?

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's things like this which keep me buying floppies. I really want to switch to buying just trades and omni's for all my ongoing series, but I don't want to get bits and pieces. I want every issue of the books I read. Marvel's getting better about it, but it's still not complete.

Hensler on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Daredevil: actual science (kind of).

Wildcat on