As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Daredevil: The Thread Without Fear

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Thats the first time I've read Daredevil in a long time but Spider-Man, thats how you do an annual, you make it fucking good.

Though can someone give me some information on whats happened to the Kingpin? I know he isn't superhuman but I thought he was supposed to be a more talented fighter than that.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It has never been explicitly stated, but I'm pretty sure the Kingpin has some minor regenerative abilities. He has been stabbed, shot, punched, kicked, and physically abused more than anyone else in the entire Marvel Universe that I know of. In fact, during the Bendis run he was blinded.

But he has fully and completely recovered from all of that. There's no way a normal human could recover from the damage he has taken, but he has. They don't say he has any special powers, but I'm guessing he does.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I just thought he was extremely formidable and durable physically, not superhuman but peak human levels of durability. Healing I just attribute to comic-dom.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He's not superhuman but he is a massive mountain of a man

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I loved the stuff with daredevil being outed and the death of the Kingpin back in the day. In fact, I've got the first four of the leather bound collecteds for those.

I used to play a TCG called VS, and my favorite Golden Age deck featured Daredevil as the only character above 1 drop.

I'm not really an expert on his backstory, though. I just got hooked by the art and story in the Bendis run and never picked it back up. Or even really finished that one since I could never find the rest of it.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, issue 500 rocked. Hell of a way to end a run, Brubaker. I first picked up Daredevil back when Bendis came on, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. And given where Bru's left it off, there's no reason to believe that it won't continue to be great stuff.

One thing I can say for Daredevil is that of all the superheros out there, he's the one who most consistently makes decisions that *don't* leave me saying "well... that was stupid." Even when he's wrong, I can usually see why he did what he did, and when he has realizations like the ones he had in 500, they're sincere, believable, and well within his character even as they fundamentally change him. That's the mark of damn good writing, IMO.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What issues of the Bru series deal with Iron Fist being Daredevil?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That was during the first arc of his run while DD was in jail. Danny Rand covered for Matt to basically trick the media and the general public so they would have some doubt as to whether they really had DD locked up in jail.

I think it also continued after Matt fled to Europe.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So the preview for Dark Reign: The List: Daredevil has Osborn sending Bullseye after Daredevil. Why the fuck would anybody care about that anymore? Daredevil has beat Bullseye in every conceivable way now, and the only knew thing that could happen in this story will be Daredevil beats him in his new Hawkseye costume. Osborn has all the resources of the government and all the superheroes of the Initiative - why not send someone at Daredevil that actually has a chance? Grrrr...

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd actually love to see twenty pages of Bullseye plotting to take out Daredevil, then two pages of Matt just beating seven shades of shit out of him before thinking, "Huh, must be Tuesday.."

Munch on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    So the preview for Dark Reign: The List: Daredevil has Osborn sending Bullseye after Daredevil. Why the fuck would anybody care about that anymore? Daredevil has beat Bullseye in every conceivable way now, and the only knew thing that could happen in this story will be Daredevil beats him in his new Hawkseye costume. Osborn has all the resources of the government and all the superheroes of the Initiative - why not send someone at Daredevil that actually has a chance? Grrrr...

Have... have you ever read a comic book before?

The same villians try the same BS to kill/defeat/etc HeroX. Even when it totally works it turns out, nope it didn't.

But that doesn't mean you aren't 100% correct. Why not send Bullseye and 400 soldiers, all the Thunderbolts, just track down where DD sleeps at night and shoot rockets and ICBMs at it?

Answer: Cause then the bad guy wins which cannot happen!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The bad guys did win. That's kind of the point of Dark Reign.

And don't forget -- Daredevil is now the leader of Hand. He has his own network of Ninjas and a Ninja army to back him up.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait to see how they're going to involve Elektra with Daredevil. Considering his Hand status now, it'd be hard not to.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The bad guys did win. That's kind of the point of Dark Reign.

And don't forget -- Daredevil is now the leader of Hand. He has his own network of Ninjas and a Ninja army to back him up.

Pfft. Bad guys did win, bah I say! It won't last... will it?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As long as good continues to be dumb

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If Ringo = Dumb, and Good = Dumb, does Ringo = Good?

Well?

Faynor on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo > Dumb, Dumb = Good, Ringo > Good

I am the Greater (than) Good

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I submit that your math is faulty, and your face is unpleasant looking.

Good day.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like Daredevil but he has always been a second tier hero. He needs something to help him join the first stringers.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, now that he
    has a team of horned ninjas
    , he should be first tier like that.

KidDork on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    i don't think he needs to join the first stringers. part of what i like about daredevil is that he just does his own thing most of the time. he's got plenty of connections in the superhero world, but he's not particularly interested in always running off with some team on some mission

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I mean

You need to define "first tier" because Daredevil's not Wolverine or Iron Man, but he's still what I would consider to be one of Marvel's premier characters, popularity wise.

Or, if you mean like, being in the forefront of the Marvel Universe, that's not really his thing. He stays in Hell's Kitchen.

Unless you mean like, powers or something? And if so, that is silly.

Faynor on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can anyone be first tier if they're not involved in all Big Events in a big way? Daredevil just doesn't work running around on Skrull spaceships, or really in anything other than an urban environment.

I like Daredevil exactly where he is: in his own little corner of the Marvel Universe, kicking ass and getting outed by heroin addicts.

KidDork on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And occasionally mixing it up with other street level heroes.

It's what works.

Daredevil fighting Galactus doesn't!

Faynor on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can see him doing things like working with SHIELD (when they come back) on certain missions with Natasha when they're hooking up because every other woman in Matt's life sucks.

Everyone thought Spider-Man should never be on an Avengers team but he works really well there.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    Can anyone be first tier if they're not involved in all Big Events in a big way? Daredevil just doesn't work running around on Skrull spaceships, or really in anything other than an urban environment.

I like Daredevil exactly where he is: in his own little corner of the Marvel Universe, kicking ass and getting outed by heroin addicts.

I like what he does ,but he could be more popular. Maybe he needs a better gimmick?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Black and red armor again for serious coolness.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He doesn't need a better "gimmick". You don't need to break a goddamn character to make it "mainstream" when it's doing just fine doing what it's supposed to.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I will say the gimmick of every writer trying to kick Matt even more when he's down is a bit annoying (this is from a long-time DD reader who's seen it in every DD run outside of Joe Kelly's). I look forward to Diggle doing something else, maybe pulling an Agents of Atlas type plot with Matt as Hand leader.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I can see him doing things like working with SHIELD (when they come back) on certain missions with Natasha when they're hooking up because every other woman in Matt's life sucks.

eff that, natasha ain't cheatin on my boy buck

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Natasha and Matt 4 eva. Bucky is some lame Brubaker shoehorned puppy love. What, what. Go Texans.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    He doesn't need a better "gimmick". You don't need to break a goddamn character to make it "mainstream" when it's doing just fine doing what it's supposed to.

Maybe Daredevil could die and then the Hand resurrects him and he becomes an actual devil?

wait wait wait

Battlin' Jack Murdock was an actual devil, and that makes Matt Murdock half-devil. He can start fighting supernatural stuff while he harangues about the evil inside of him.

Someone call Chuck Austen. Let's get this shit movin'.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Chuck Austen was a good artist on Bendis' Elektra series. Therefore, with two big leaps, I have the utmost confidence in his abilities.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »

Maybe Daredevil could die and then the Hand resurrects him and he becomes an actual devil?

wait wait wait

Battlin' Jack Murdock was an actual devil, and that makes Matt Murdock half-devil. He can start fighting supernatural stuff while he harangues about the evil inside of him.

Someone call Chuck Austen. Let's get this shit movin'.

Daredevil could become the new Ghost Rider and the new Sorcerer Supreme, with a really bitching flaming skull costume with horns and a blind fold (because he's blind, you see) and then he could singlehandedly fight everyone ever.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh shit, give him some technomagic Hand armor as a callback to his black and red armor days, and he's like Iron Man, Ghost Rider, and the Sorcerer Supreme.

Oh shit, and they can bring back Lightning the Super-Dog from his proposed 1980's cartoon.

Dynamite.

Munch on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2009
    Unless Lightning's secret identity is "seeing-eye dog" I'm not interested

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Unless Lightning's secret identity is "seeing-eye dog" I'm not interested

This makes me twice as interested before.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you look to the far left of the image, you'll see that's exactly what he is.

I like to think that the cartoon would have portrayed Daredevil as a bumbling, blind, crimefighter that spends most of his time fighting imaginary foes, while Lightning rushed around to pull his ass out of the fire, and nudge him away from hazards. Kind of an Inspector Gadget concept.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What if David Patterson is Daredevil?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Then no one would like him anymore, but he could start hanging out with Luke Cage again. And if they really wanted they could give him a new secret identity and relaunch the book as Ex Machina 2.

werehippy on