As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND 2: The singer in Visions is actually a chick

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyway, worst case scenario, I go to Wal-Mart and they don't have it, so I jam out with the guy going to Best Buy until the evening when I got pick up my own copy.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's a DS game, an old one at that. What the hell were you expecting?

They're selling old DS games for far more than 2.50 last time I checked.

glithert on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, but that's basically why you shouldn't really trade stuff in unless it's relatively new. You're going to get shit prices on it.

Hell, plenty of 360 games go for like $5.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Schide wrote: »

Somebody not to reply and be a total asshat about it?

What I was expecting was just that, what I hoping for was about $4 to cover tax on Rock Band 2.

Well, with the 20% deal, you only need to scrape together 60 cents.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »

What I was expecting was just that, what I hoping for was about $4 to cover tax on Rock Band 2.

Well, with tax here it'd be more like $1.20 more. I'd probably still do it if I couldn't just trade it in to Goozex anyway and get more value for it.

This isn't really a problem per se, it's just me being anal about not wanting to break another 20. It just kind of came about that all I have are 20s right now. Eh, I'll probably end up getting it tomorrow anyway.

Schide on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I occasionally have my father play Rock Band, only to realize why I don't like when he does. You see, he has been drumming for the last 25 years, and fails every song he plays. He insists that every single song is charted incorrectly. When I attempt to explain to him that they most of the time get the original tracks and hear the drums completely separated, he then assumes that they changed the entire drumline in the process.

He can get 100% singing Creep, though.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I occasionally have my father play Rock Band, only to realize why I don't like when he does. You see, he has been drumming for the last 25 years, and fails every song he plays. He insists that every single song is charted incorrectly. When I attempt to explain to him that they most of the time get the original tracks and hear the drums completely separated, he then assumes that they changed the entire drumline in the process.

What difficulty is he drumming on?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

What difficulty is he drumming on?

He refuses to do anything but Expert.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Well, with tax here it'd be more like $1.20 more. I'd probably still do it if I couldn't just trade it in to Goozex anyway and get more value for it.

This isn't really a problem per se, it's just me being anal about not wanting to break another 20. It just kind of came about that all I have are 20s right now. Eh, I'll probably end up getting it tomorrow anyway.
    I get this image in my head when combining this post with the previous one about being lazy. Of somebody who imagines that twenty dollar bills have no value or function unless they are 'broken' into some form of change. Some bizarre OCD-type of thinking in regards to money.

Not of you, just some image of a dude in a store for some reason refusing to use twenties until all other forms of currency have been exhausted...

'You don't understand! It's a twenty! It won't work!'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

He can't get his head around the abstraction of the note chart compared to real drums. If you get a RB2 kit with the cymbal add-ons, it might help.

My brother complains about the drums as well, but he's a drumline player, not a rock drum player, and that's a totally different style of drumming, so... :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are the "tour groups" single player only or can they be played with a band as well? I think that's the most direct way to unlock all the songs.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Finally five-starred I Fought the Law!

I know, I know, it's not a big accomplishment, but it is for someone like me who can't alt-strum. Those little groups of five chords, just got them all downstrumming finally.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    Are the "tour groups" single player only or can they be played with a band as well? I think that's the most direct way to unlock all the songs.

Like, the tour challenges? I'm pretty sure they're co-op capable. Sometimes they have instrument stipulations (like, you have to have a vocalist for vocal challenges, for example), though.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JoahW wrote: »

Are you talking about the 'Start a Tour' part of the game? I believe so. At least I hear about the ability to create placeholder band members and I saw a screeenshot somewhere that suggested these place holders are used if a real person isn't around.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, tour challenges, my bad.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Every mode is available for solo or band play this time: World Tour, Tour Challenges, Battle of the Bands, Quickplay.

I just called two Meijers, both within 5 minutes of my house. One has the game and will be putting it on shelves at midnight; the other says they'll get the shipment on Tuesday.

Definitely pays to call, ladies and gents.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My Best Buy has it in for sure tomorrow. Woo.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    043 wrote: »
    And World Tour still sucks because the solo is tied into it, and there's no simple, straightforward way to unlock everything. You'll be playing mystery setlists and the same shit over and over again (especially if you exported the RB1 stuff) to get to the new RB2 tracks.

This is disappointing. So basically we should unlock all of the songs in RB2 before exporting our old songlist?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Isn't there like a "marathon" tour challenge that you can do that just has the RB2 tracks in a form similar to the RB1 solo tour set up? I'll probably do that first just to get everything unlocked as quickly as possible.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OH FUCK YES

I just made a sweet deal...borrowing my friend's 360 for a month, he borrows my PS3. He has no interest in owning RB2 immediately. I buy a copy of 360 RB2 tomorrow, when we switch back he gets a copy of RB2 for free.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Isn't there like a "marathon" tour challenge that you can do that just has the RB2 tracks in a form similar to the RB1 solo tour set up? I'll probably do that first just to get everything unlocked as quickly as possible.

It's a bunch of mini-challenges, but yeah that's the fastest way to unlock all the songs.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    And World Tour still sucks because the solo is tied into it, and there's no simple, straightforward way to unlock everything. You'll be playing mystery setlists and the same shit over and over again (especially if you exported the RB1 stuff) to get to the new RB2 tracks.

This is disappointing. So basically we should unlock all of the songs in RB2 before exporting our old songlist?

That does kinda make sense. At the beginning you'll have very few RB2 songs unlocked and all of the RB1 songs, so in a random setlist you'll have more chance of getting an RB1 song early on.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Keep in mind that other than using a code (which wasn't more than a quick fix solution anyway) there wasn't really a simple way to unlock the songs before. Straightforward maybe, but not simple.

Plus, I don't get how I'd be playing the same shit over and over again especially if I import my RB1 songs. Since, including the on-disc list, I'll be carrying over 100+ songs.

And I doubt that World Tour consists of nothing but Mystery Sets...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yes.

Speaking of tour challenges, I've been buying songs based on whether they can provide me with more challenges. For example, I bought Girl U Want--a song that I had no previous interest in--just so I can play the eventual Devo challenge. I'll probably do the same with Girls on Film so I can get in on some sweet Duran Duran action.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes.

Speaking of tour challenges, I've been buying songs based on whether they can provide me with more challenges. For example, I bought Girl U Want--a song that I had no previous interest in--just so I can play the eventual Devo challenge. I'll probably do the same with Girls on Film so I can get in on some sweet Duran Duran action.

You will probably need to buy ALL songs.

If they're actually doing challenges every day, I imagine they will run through all the songs in the game pretty fast.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes.

If they're actually doing challenges every day, I imagine they will run through all the songs in the game pretty fast.

That's for Battle of the Bands, though. Tour Challenges are constant and based on the songs you have (that's how I understand it, anyway).

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yes.

That's for Battle of the Bands, though. Tour Challenges are constant and based on the songs you have (that's how I understand it, anyway).

Oh, I get confused. There are too many things in this game!

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I get confused. There are too many things in this game!

I agree. Too many awesome things.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pre-Order NOW!

Seriously, click the link... hehe

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I imagine that for Battle of the Bands, they will make sure there is always at least one active battle that consists of only on-disc songs. Then there will be a battle requiring RB1, and a battle that requires some DLC. This way they dangle the carrot of the battles for people who haven't yet bought DLC, without pissing people off too much if they never buy it.

I also fully expect that every Tuesday will bring a battle of the songs released for DLC that day.

Tour challenges do seem to be more algorithmic. There are challenges for each difficulty level on each instrument for the on-disc songs. These will be ideal for quick unlocking. Then there are challenges for all songs in various categories: genre, decade, artist, album. The challenge is available if you have at least three tracks in the corresponding category. Pretty straightforward.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pre-Order NOW!

Seriously, click the link... hehe

What a deal!

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That is...well...

Yup.

Seriously though, what crazy idea has Harmonix implemented?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, the closest midnight launch I've found so far is 33 miles (about an hour drive) away, and they won't have the instruments. I guess I'll keep trying.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    People at Score Hero claim it doesn't do anything, but who really knows? Harmonix can update the game whenever and however they want later, so we shall see.

Homestar Gunner on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    banking on my wal-mart having it at midnight. Off to Tropic Thunder, then to Wal Mart!

Then ROCK N ROOOOLL

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In the past 24 hours I have played RB/GH seven hours and practiced on my real bass for three hours

My arms are killing me but I will have to play through the pain tomorrow!

YardGnome on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone know if if there are RB2 instruments for sale tomorrow in the Ottawa area? The Futureshop website says yes, but, talked to the one Brockville and Kingston and they said no, just the game will be in stock.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YardGnome wrote: »
    In the past 24 hours I have played RB/GH seven hours and practiced on my real bass for three hours

My arms are killing me but I will have to play through the pain tomorrow!

oh boy!

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So im gonna post it again in this thread, anyone know of any midnight launch in Toronto? I couldnt find anywhere thats opening up. I really dont want to wait until tomorrow morning, my sleep schedule is fucked up enough as is without having to wake up for 10am.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.