As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jump Ultimate Stars

• Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do you have to have a DS from Japan to play this, or a DS lite? Cuz if it works on a launch DS, I'll probably get it.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senor Fish wrote:
    Do you have to have a DS from Japan to play this, or a DS lite? Cuz if it works on a launch DS, I'll probably get it.

DS games are completely region free, and there are no games that only work on the Lite. The Lite's hardware is completely identical to the DS Phat, there couldn't be any games that only work on one or the other. So yes, a launch DS Phat could totally play this game, and any other DS game for that matter.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senor Fish wrote:

DS games are completely region free, and there are no games that only work on the Lite. The Lite's hardware is completely identical to the DS Phat, there couldn't be any games that only work on one or the other. So yes, a launch DS Phat could totally play this game, and any other DS game for that matter.
    Figured about the DS lite, but you never know...
    Sweet. Now I just need the monies!

That's gonna be a while...

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ugh, these blank komas with 2 open spaces are annoying. The only ones I could get easily were Dragonball (Trunks and Goten). I, unfortunately, know about 4 of the series in the game with any sort of consistency, making matching the others more or less impossible.

Also, I want a 7 koma anything. Nothing yet, though.

Graviija on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So for those who dont know already...

Apparently Gamestop/EB Games are joining the Import Games selling market now along with Best Buy.

They are also going to be carrying Jump Super Stars and Naruto 4 for the DS. Hopefully this will continue on with Jump Ultimate and stuff like Ouendan.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Graviija wrote:
    Ugh, these blank komas with 2 open spaces are annoying. The only ones I could get easily were Dragonball (Trunks and Goten). I, unfortunately, know about 4 of the series in the game with any sort of consistency, making matching the others more or less impossible.

Also, I want a 7 koma anything. Nothing yet, though.

Yea as I said most of the multiple blank komas belong to Dragon Ball, Bobobo or Yugioh.

The Dragon Ball characters are consistant, the others aren't.
    Piccolo : Piccolo, Nail, Kame
    Gotenks : Goten, Trunks
    Vegetto (Goku 7 koma) : Goku, Vegeta, Earring

The Yugioh and Bobobo ones probably need to be looked up. Yugi, Bobobo, and Don Patch all have multipanel komas. Hope that helps somewhat. The 7 panel character tend to take abit. Ichigo from Bleach will most likely be your first as it is collecting 500 or so komas, the other 7 panels are from having alot of battles like 300 and up. I got those quickly by picking a stage where getting hit makes you lose... and just kept pressing the jump button so I'd lose and select my deck right after. Losses count toward the goal.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for all the info, Strider.

Now! Another question.

Some of the goals for levels say, "Win with 10 help komas in your deck" or "win with 5 support character komas in your deck". I keep doing these levels, winning with 10 help/5 support, and I never get the objectives complete.

Do I have to actually USE them, or am I doing something else wrong?

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Graviija wrote:

Now! Another question.

Some of the goals for levels say, "Win with 10 help komas in your deck" or "win with 5 support character komas in your deck". I keep doing these levels, winning with 10 help/5 support, and I never get the objectives complete.

Are you using exactly 10 help komas or 5 support komas? I remember it being fairly picky about that. If it says use 10 komas, it wants exactly 10. I'm fairly sure it didn't require actually using them though.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wifi is set up, friend code is 0731 0057 8054.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Graviija wrote:

Now! Another question.

Are you using exactly 10 help komas or 5 support komas? I remember it being fairly picky about that. If it says use 10 komas, it wants exactly 10. I'm fairly sure it didn't require actually using them though.
    I shudder at the thought of where I would be in this game without you, Strider. :)

Thanks.

Graviija on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So for those who dont know already...

Apparently Gamestop/EB Games are joining the Import Games selling market now along with Best Buy.

They are also going to be carrying Jump Super Stars and Naruto 4 for the DS. Hopefully this will continue on with Jump Ultimate and stuff like Ouendan.
    I bet they'll always still be at least a couple steps behind us.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ultimate Stars GET!

I'm still at the very beginning and I'm already overwhelmed. I've got thousands of J-Power but I'm still scared to spend it all.

Also does anyone else suck at fighting games and just go nuts on the control pad? I pretty much spam X till I run out of hissatsu soul. Button mashers 4 Life.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm sorry to keep steering the thread away from the proper subject, but one more thing about JSS -

I really hope the 7 tile Goku koma is worth it, because damn, it's taking a while to get.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Graviija wrote:
    I'm sorry to keep steering the thread away from the proper subject, but one more thing about JSS -

I really hope the 7 tile Goku koma is worth it, because damn, it's taking a while to get.

I think that it's probably the worst Lvl 7 in the game. I found the 6 koma goku to be usefully in several decks but the 7 koma just has the lame short sword. Ichigo is probably the most helpful because the attack radius on the up+x attack is huge though he doesn't do alot of damage... but that can always be boosted with attack ups or Sanji's heart power up.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    mikecantypemikecantype Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    InitialDK wrote:
    Ultimate Stars GET!

I'm still at the very beginning and I'm already overwhelmed. I've got thousands of J-Power but I'm still scared to spend it all.

Also does anyone else suck at fighting games and just go nuts on the control pad? I pretty much spam X till I run out of hissatsu soul. Button mashers 4 Life.
    Don't worry, like what I said in this previous post, you can easily farm some more gems. I guess firstly just concerntrate on buying and evolving characters that you want to use.

I was like that in Jump Super Stars, I just went nuts with X specials at the beginning of a match ahem Kakashi (Naruto) up + X dog summon (which is nerfed big time in JUS). However how in JUS with the better comboing and quick L/R trigger system I find myself playing a lot better.

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    1) For anyone in NYC (or area) I saw this game last night for sale at the underground Chinatown zombie mall for $49. Super price for anyone who doesn't want to wait around for it to be shipped.

2) Is there a listing of the faces to the names anywhere? I know a bunch of the characters in the game but the massive amount is overwhelming and I have no idea what a lot of these people do, especially the one tile help komas.

3) How about the worlds? Like the characters, I know a bunch but there are also a whole lot that I don't recognize. I can't read Kanji characters so I can't figure some of these things out. Has anyone made anything to assist in this?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just had the game arrive. I'm at work tho, so I'll have to wait till later to boot it up and post my friend code. But I'm looking to play against y'all :D Shouldn't there be some kind of Game-On thread or something?

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Friend code: 5025 9744 7148
    Who wants to play?!

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My copy STILL hasn't arrived :evil:. However, I'll make a Game On! thread tomorrow.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is the unlocking/card mechanism the same as Jump SuperStars? I had a kind of a tough time with unlocking all the characters with that system.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    george-x wrote:
    Is the unlocking/card mechanism the same as Jump SuperStars? I had a kind of a tough time with unlocking all the characters with that system.

It's infinitely easier/better/more fun.

I just finished the game for the first time. Going back to clear some objectives I missed and make some more creative decks.

I'll add my Friend Code to my sig later tonight probably.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Man, what is this voicechat feature like in friend list play? Do you need some kind of special attachment? Or do you talk thru the mic on the DS?

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I need a new DS. The one I have won't let me on my internet with it.(Tried with Tetris and Mario Kart, won't work. PSP does, though)

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh man 8-Koma Luffy is sexy.

Any interesting decks out there?

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Man, this game is so awesome. Just played with my friend in japan, and lag was almost non-existant. And the voicechatting thru the DS worked surprisingly well.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My main deck is usually a combo of 6 koma Sasuke/7 koma luffy.

I switch around alot but this is my solid game winner.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    6 koma Sanji is just pure awesome.

They should really have you start with a combo character like Sanji, because I can see a lot of people not picking up the combo system with Luffy.

Who wants to play tonight?!

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    All this talk of komas and such has made me dig out my copy of JSS. <3 Sanji.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Does the trick to make completing the Komas easier still work in JUS?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited December 2006

There is no koma matching at all. Thats what you are talking about correct?

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

:(

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Why would you be sad about this? It was rather annoying in the original, and became an exercise in in patience when you had multi-koma cards from series that you had no knowledge of.

Graviija on
  • Options
    RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Graviija wrote:

Why would you be sad about this? It was rather annoying in the original, and became an exercise in in patience when you had multi-koma cards from series that you had no knowledge of.

Yeah, trust us. The unlocking system is leaps and bounds better in JUS.

In JSS, I stopped playing because the unlock system was so tedious. In JUS, however, I'm compelled to play more and complete more missions to quickly unlock things... it's not tedious at all (except repeating some missions to complete objectives, but at least you're battling rather than trying to match panels).

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    All this talk of komas and such has made me dig out my copy of JSS. <3 Sanji.

Yeah, Sanji was one of my favorite characters to play in JSS. In my main deck, my favorite thing to do was to do a dream combo starting with Sanji (then Kenshin & Kakashi), so it would end with 5 koma Sanji's special, which is like a 10 hit combo. His up special was also good to ring out players. God, I hope it gets here by Friday.

Game On! thread coming shortly.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ronen wrote:
    Graviija wrote:

Yeah, trust us. The unlocking system is leaps and bounds better in JUS.

In JSS, I stopped playing because the unlock system was so tedious. In JUS, however, I'm compelled to play more and complete more missions to quickly unlock things... it's not tedious at all (except repeating some missions to complete objectives, but at least you're battling rather than trying to match panels).

Yea I completely agree with the direction they went with for koma unlocking. When I played through JSS I played too soon apparently as the koma trick did not exist yet. So when I went to unlock something I had to guess... alot. I tried the easiest ones first like if it was a DBZ level trying DBZ characters to unlock the koma. If that didn't work I too into account if it was a multi panel koma and tried to match the characters I knew were multi character sets. If that didn't work... I tried every 1 panel koma. It was very time consuming. I felt I played more assembling komas then actually playing. With the way it is now I play more then focusing on the little things. That and my focus on getting characters can be getting the characters I know, rather then every Prince of Tennis character.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn, I really need to learn these series better.

6-koma Nami [spoiler:d5499c1ae9]Perfect Climatact version[/spoiler:d5499c1ae9] kicks some serious butt.

6-koma Afro Luffy also is pretty good. I really wish I could get the 7/8 komas for him though.

I really want to get Franky though. He would always be in my party.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Damn, I really need to learn these series better.

6-koma Nami [spoiler:fab59ec5ec]Perfect Climatact version[/spoiler:fab59ec5ec] kicks some serious butt.

6-koma Afro Luffy also is pretty good. I really wish I could get the 7/8 komas for him though.

I really want to get Franky though. He would always be in my party.

There's a "trick" to getting 7/8 koma Luffy earlier, as with some other characters.
    [spoiler:fab59ec5ec]Search the Gfaqs boards and find the link to the constellation images. During the opening sequence you can connect some of the stars to form constellations and unlock certain komas. You can get Shanks this way.[/spoiler:fab59ec5ec]

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    mikecantypemikecantype Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think I've mentioned this before but I still reckon 6 koma Afro Luffy is the best followed closely be 7 koma Gear Second.

So to spur some discussion for this awesome game, what's peoples favourite support komas? Be good to share seeing as there's hundreds of them and there could be some awesome ones we might of overlooked.

So here's a few I reckon are great:

3 koma Trunks (Dragon Ball Z) - Yes everybody uses him online, he is broken as hell and damm annoying. Trunks speeds (he appears damm fast) out if connects does a combo of slashes and finishes with a beam. Fantastic for pretty much any situation and you can call him out in mid air.

3 koma Seiya (Saint Seiya) - Again another favourite for most online players again another annoying support if you happen to take on somebody that has him in their deck. Seiya appears from above and unloads a barrage of punches. Fantastic in those situations where everyone happens to be huddled together. Quite a few players I've seen do is summon Seiya and then with bankai Ichigo (Bleach) do his Y attack.

3 koma Sena (Eyeshield 21) - Sena speeds out and if connects disables opponents ability to move. Sena runs pretty much almost from one side of the arena to the other meaning you can disable a few or all of your opponents at once, that and he appears quite quickly.

2 koma Gaoh (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) - It's that little black koala, absolutely fantastic I reckon. When you summon him , he'll stand around and if the opponent if close enough it'll start a combo of punches. What's great is he's short so in the midst of all the mayhem most opponents won't probably notice him. A good filler.

3 koma Kaiba (Yu-Gi-Oh) - Well I have Kaiba in my Yugi (Yu-Gi-Oh) deck. Kaiba summons a dragon that unleashes a large beam, thing is you can do Yugi's (I'm talking 5 koma here) X special which also summons a dragon that unleashes a large beam at the same time. Two times the chaos.

2 koma red guy (Saint Seiya) - Sorry I don't know and can't find his name, but this guy is great, appears and emits an outward wave, if it hits it'll put an effect on the opponent eg. confuse, disables them from attacking, or blocking etc. It's random so you won't know what effect it will have on but it's well worth it I reckon.

3 koma Gokudera (Katekyo Hitman Reborn) - Gokudera runs out (like Sena his run last about the whole length of the arena) and if he connects will plant bombs on the opponent which will explode, when the bombs are planted the opponent can't move. He also ally boosts Tsuna (Katekyo Hitman Reborn) who I love using so that's another plus.

3 koma Goku (Dragon Ball Z) - Goku appears charging his beam, bottom screen you can select which opponent you want to target, select your target, Goku will instantly appear infront or behind selected opponent and unleash a beam.

There's plenty more great support komas but I'm lazy, maybe later.

mikecantype on
    ebi_pa_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So the first one was fun... but the single player grew old because aside from the missions, there seemed to be nothing else to do. Is there a standard mode in JUS, almost like a Street Fighter type game? Build your deck, and fight other decks in succession? No special rules and such?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    jeffcjeffc Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shadowfire wrote:
    So the first one was fun... but the single player grew old because aside from the missions, there seemed to be nothing else to do. Is there a standard mode in JUS, almost like a Street Fighter type game? Build your deck, and fight other decks in succession? No special rules and such?
    There's a J-arena. It's basically you and 19 other computer-generated decks, organised into 20 4-man free-for-alls with varying rules (score, collect stars, KO). There's a fourth variation (I think) that I haven't unlocked yet.

If you don't want to do that then there's still the standard battle mode where you pick how many computers you want to fight, what decks they use, etc.

jeffc on