As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Today's secret word is... FUNGIBLE.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    What in god's name will Kissinger have to say to Palin? Other than the obvious "please don't ever be president."

I'd prefer to know what Dr Henry Killinger would say.

"Governor, I feel you are a silly billy ven it comes to telling ze truth. Allow me to introduce you to my Magic Murder Bag."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is going to be completely off topic, but this is incredibly annoying:

Why do people insist on calling Sarah Palin the first woman to have a chance at the Presidency? I wasnt even born when Geraldine Ferraro was picked by Walter Mondale and even I know about it. What the fuck America, open a fucking book. Shit check google or something. Jesus.

emp123 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mondale did swimmingly in the election IIRC

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    emp123 wrote: »

Why do people insist on calling Sarah Palin the first woman to have a chance at the Presidency? I wasnt even born when Geraldine Ferraro was picked by Walter Mondale and even I know about it. What the fuck America, open a fucking book. Shit check google or something. Jesus.

I think that given what happened to Mondale at the actual election, commentators kinda scrub him from the record vis a vis "have a chance at the Presidency." And yes, it is very annoying. Palin's pick was not historic. At all.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And for all we know, Palin could do the same. She's still not the first. :P

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/palin-says-obam.html
    ABC's Imtiyaz Delawala Reporting: At a rally in Lady Lake, Fla., today Gov. Sarah Palin accused Sen. Barack Obama of not aggressively promoting a plan to address the current crisis on Wall Street and compared the situation to his many "present" votes in the Illinois state legislature.

"This week, when the economic crisis threatened the livelihoods of millions of Americans, John McCain took a clear stand and he offered his own recovery plan," Palin told an enthusiastic crowd of thousands. "Our opponent refused to even take a stand on the position.

"And that's a lot like his tenure in the Illinois state legislature where Barack Obama voted present about 130 times. This week he voted present on the major economic issues of the day, and that is not leadership, America. It's not leadership Americans can afford."

The speech took place at The Villages, a fast-growing, conservative retirement community about an hour north of Orlando featuring eight championship golf courses, where many residents travel by golf cart. The outdoor rally was Palin's first public event in Florida.

Palin was joined onstage by her husband, Todd; her daughters Willow and Piper; and her infant son, Trig. Palin told the audience at the beginning of her remarks that Todd had taken Willow and Piper to Disney World the day before. She then handed the microphone to 7-year-old Piper, who told the crowd, "Thank you for letting us be here."
    I hate her with the fire of a thousand suns.

Couscous on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

This. In most people's minds, I think, that ticket never had a chance.

narvinye on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is McCains plan still just a 9/11 style commission?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Palin told the audience at the beginning of her remarks that Todd had taken Willow and Piper to Disney World the day before. She then handed the microphone to 7-year-old Piper, who told the crowd, "Thank you for letting us be here."

This is the man too busy to comply with a subpoena.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Palin told the audience at the beginning of her remarks that Todd had taken Willow and Piper to Disney World the day before. She then handed the microphone to 7-year-old Piper, who told the crowd, "Thank you for letting us be here."

This is the man too busy to comply with a subpoena.

Ngnfdgndfdh.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    ABC's Imtiyaz Delawala Reporting: At a rally in Lady Lake, Fla., today Gov. Sarah Palin accused Sen. Barack Obama of not aggressively promoting a plan to address the current crisis on Wall Street and compared the situation to his many "present" votes in the Illinois state legislature.

"This week, when the economic crisis threatened the livelihoods of millions of Americans, John McCain took a clear stand and he offered his own recovery plan," Palin told an enthusiastic crowd of thousands. "Our opponent refused to even take a stand on the position.

"And that's a lot like his tenure in the Illinois state legislature where Barack Obama voted present about 130 times. This week he voted present on the major economic issues of the day, and that is not leadership, America. It's not leadership Americans can afford."

The speech took place at The Villages, a fast-growing, conservative retirement community about an hour north of Orlando featuring eight championship golf courses, where many residents travel by golf cart. The outdoor rally was Palin's first public event in Florida.

Palin was joined onstage by her husband, Todd; her daughters Willow and Piper; and her infant son, Trig. Palin told the audience at the beginning of her remarks that Todd had taken Willow and Piper to Disney World the day before. She then handed the microphone to 7-year-old Piper, who told the crowd, "Thank you for letting us be here."

"If the word "HATE" was etched on to every inch of my millions of miles of circuitry, it would barely convey a microscopic amount of the hate I have for...".

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I need to beat that game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    narvinye wrote: »

This. In most people's minds, I think, that ticket never had a chance.

I like to think Sarah Palin doesnt either.

emp123 on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The world depresses me. I have visions of feeding my children from garbage cans and fighting over cardboard boxes to sleep in.

Houn on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    If a terrible politician is cholesterol, sticking to one's arteries, Sarah Palin is misfired clotting factor.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What a.....colorful analogy

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    The world depresses me. I have visions of feeding my children from garbage cans and fighting over cardboard boxes to sleep in.
    Could be worse. The trash could be on fire and the boxes could be soggy!

Nartwak on
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just finished a long day of walking neighborhoods and canvassing in Northern VA ... seriously guys, if you have an opportunity, DO THIS. There were a lot of people not home but we found at least a handful of solid Obama voters not previously on the rolls (everyone we knocked on was listed as undecided or no party affiliation in the database, so our efforts were to help them get lots of voter identification for the get-out-the-vote effort the last week before election day), and even one registered Republican who was very much on the fence. It's very incremental at the ground level but I think the results can potentially be huge as it scales upward... I know the O-team has been working the area for three months at least before McCain's people even arrived, and I'm hoping a few Sundays of my time can help take VA away from him. Plus, democracy is pretty cool firsthand. Give it a try!

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nartwak wrote: »

Oh, I'm sure they will be. It'll be like Mad Max, only with less Australia.

Houn on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Another day in the Colorado Report:

This was a big weekend for canvassing around Colorado and Virginia. Our local team managed to knock EVERY DORM DOOR on the University of Colorado (CU) campus. The good news is almost every young person around this school says they are already registered to vote. Either we have been doing an amazing job registering the youth or there are a bunch of dirty liars around here.

I managed to knock 218 doors on Saturday (8 hours of canvassing) and 88 doors today for a grand total of 306 doors this weekend.

Also, can someone fill me in on anything that happened this weekend?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    538 has a wonderful screed about political yard signs up.
    Despite Obama’s 100% name recognition, opponents of the “maybe worry about visibility after registration deadlines close” strategy pronounced the situation “dire” on the front page of Daily Kos yesterday.

So dire was the situation that volunteers in the office were taking up collections to have their own signs printed.

Asked about this dire situation in Virginia, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe responded*, “You have got to be $@!#ing kidding me. Is this a joke? I’m busy, I have to go.”

The Obama campaign goal has been to register and track over 300,000 new voters in Virginia, including the direly-situated Leesburg. Though they are on pace to achieve this goal, some Democrats are concerned that people will see more McCain signs and feel dispirited.

Top Obama strategist David Axelrod, when reached for comment Sunday, noted*, “these yard sign questions are making my brain bleed. Please stop.”
    Please note, the quotes are fake. He goes on to explain why yard signs are nice yet completely unnecessary.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    galenblade wrote: »
    Despite Obama’s 100% name recognition, opponents of the “maybe worry about visibility after registration deadlines close” strategy pronounced the situation “dire” on the front page of Daily Kos yesterday.

So dire was the situation that volunteers in the office were taking up collections to have their own signs printed.

Asked about this dire situation in Virginia, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe responded*, “You have got to be $@!#ing kidding me. Is this a joke? I’m busy, I have to go.”

The Obama campaign goal has been to register and track over 300,000 new voters in Virginia, including the direly-situated Leesburg. Though they are on pace to achieve this goal, some Democrats are concerned that people will see more McCain signs and feel dispirited.

Top Obama strategist David Axelrod, when reached for comment Sunday, noted*, “these yard sign questions are making my brain bleed. Please stop.”
    Please note, the quotes are fake. He goes on to explain why yard signs are nice yet completely unnecessary.

How dare you insinuate that what is true in the minds of paranoid Boomers isn't also true in objective reality!

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's a suggestion for possible caveats on that blank check.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nartwak wrote: »

Oh, I'm sure they will be. It'll be like Mad Max, only with less Australia.

I just can't wait for McCain to take us to war against Russia so when the red army invades, we can take up our arms from the cabinets or drawers to fight. And then Russia starts gunning down innocents fearing they could be holding weapons, ALA our troops in Vietnam. It's the future I see.

I need to buy myself a rifle with a scope now.

:(

After hearing his response in an interview recently about what to do with Russia, that's the first thing that came to my mind. Yeah, fuck diplomacy!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    60 Minutes has interviews with Obama and McCain tonight, should be on now. In the preview, one of the interviewers asks McCain "Can you see Sarah Palin as President of the United States?" "Absolutely. Absolutely. Absolutely." Every time he says absolutely, he looks away from the interviewer.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    narvinye wrote: »
    Sumbitch. I've thought of FDR and JFK when I hear Obama speak, but damn, I didn't want the allegory to go so far that he'll be telling us there is nothing to fear except fear itself about another depression.

funny how we assign initials to auspicious presidents...except AL or GW

It's a shame that the fear-mongers have already started using BHO to remind people of Obama's middle name.

I was thinking BOva.

Imagine Diddy behind me going 'uh-uh, uh-uh, uh-uh-uh' as I say it. It might work better.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    60 Minutes has interviews with Obama and McCain tonight, should be on now. In the preview, one of the interviewers asks McCain "Can you see Sarah Palin as President of the United States?" "Absolutely. Absolutely. Absolutely." Every time he says absolutely, he looks away from the interviewer.

I can see Palin as President. I just see the USA as collapsing all around her.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    If Palin became president, the government would be similar to Harding's, her allies appointed to the best positions, everyone on the take and her gouging her way into history.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If Palin became president, the government would be similar to Harding's, her allies appointed to the best positions, everyone on the take and her gouging her way into history.

If Palin became President, Robert Heinlein would be seen as a fucking visionary.

+2 to anyone who gets that reference.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    Are the Presidential debates held by people from the media networks like the primaries were, or are they conducted by some third party?

It's been a while, I'm a little fuzzy on the whole process.

The debates are run by the Commission on Presidential Debates -- they choose the locations, dates and format and pick moderators from media people (usually TV, heavily leaning on Lehrer and PBS, but they've had print people in there in the past). There's obviously some negotiation between them and the campaigns/parties, but they try to remain neutral.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Are the Presidential debates held by people from the media networks like the primaries were, or are they conducted by some third party?

It's been a while, I'm a little fuzzy on the whole process.

The debates are run by the Commission on Presidential Debates -- they choose the locations, dates and format and pick moderators from media people (usually TV, heavily leaning on Lehrer and PBS, but they've had print people in there in the past). There's obviously some negotiation between them and the campaigns/parties, but they try to remain neutral.

They did a real good job of giving Biden 24 ounce gloves stuffed with that Tempurpedic bed material and surrounded in the thickest, lushest velvet so when he does hit Palin square in the jaw, rainbows and bunnies shoot out and Palin gets delicious ham treats.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    John McCain chose Sarah Palin to be his vice president.

There is a 40% chance John McCain will be president on January 21, 2009.

There is no way in hell that anybody should give any extra power to any Treasury Secretary chosen by John McCain.

I beg the Democrats in congress: write a bill that makes sense.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/21/1430405.aspx
    From NBC's Savannah Guthrie, Cherelle Kantey, and Ben Weltman
    THE VILLAGES, Fla. -- Has Sarah Palin said "thanks but no thanks" to one of her most well-known applause lines?

In her speech today in Florida, Palin did not mention the infamous "bridge to nowhere." Nor have we heard the line in her last few joint appearances with John McCain. In fact, according to NBC's logs, the last time she mentioned the bridge was six days ago at a rally in Golden, CO. Prior to that, the bridge refrain was a fixture of Palin's stump speech (used at least 11 different times).

A campaign advisor rejected the notion that the absence of the line is a tacit concession that Palin's claims about the bridge project have been misleading. The advisor suggests this is just the normal course of varying the stump speech and that we may hear reference to the bridge again soon.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    THE VILLAGES, Fla. -- Has Sarah Palin said "thanks but no thanks" to one of her most well-known applause lines?

In her speech today in Florida, Palin did not mention the infamous "bridge to nowhere." Nor have we heard the line in her last few joint appearances with John McCain. In fact, according to NBC's logs, the last time she mentioned the bridge was six days ago at a rally in Golden, CO. Prior to that, the bridge refrain was a fixture of Palin's stump speech (used at least 11 different times).

A campaign advisor rejected the notion that the absence of the line is a tacit concession that Palin's claims about the bridge project have been misleading. The advisor suggests this is just the normal course of varying the stump speech and that we may hear reference to the bridge again soon.

Adviser: "Don't be absurd, of course we'll continue lying to our supporter's faces soon."

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

Were we expecting someone from the campaign to actually admit it?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Were we expecting someone from the campaign to actually admit it?

It would make my week.

"Well see, it's just a normal stump speech talking point cycle and.... oh, you know what? Fuck it. There's a small part of my soul that gets shredded every time I hear people cheering to a lie, and I took it out. I took that point the fuck out, dragged it out back, and shot it. Then I burned it. Then I told that smarmy bitch if she ever said it again I'd fucking thumbfuck her eyesockets. Happy?"

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Expect the 'politically motivated' stories to start coming out.

The Palin email 'hacker' has been found, and it actually is the son of a Tennessee state Democratic rep.

And good lord the kid made a lot of stupid, stupid mistakes. He only used one proxy, didn't scramble out the URL in the screenshots so people could tell what proxy it is, and used a handle that he uses in other locations to post up the info on 4chan - including his email (rubico10@yahoo.com) and places which have his real name. The FBI didn't even have to get the IP logs from the proxy owner in order to find him.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So this was Retard vs. Retard, basically.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Huh, the rumors I posted were true.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    galenblade wrote: »

I read this, and all I could think about was the fact that at the county and congressional conventions, there were a billion Hillary signs EVERYWHERE.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
This discussion has been closed.