As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Today's secret word is... FUNGIBLE.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Was it outside?
    http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/2008electionblog/blog_index/is-the-mccain-campaign-lying-about-crowd-estimates/1729/
    The truth, from Bloomberg. "Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events."
    I guess it might be different in Florida.

I was at that rally in Fairfax, VA last week and it must have been about 20,000. I've been in very large crowds before and holy fuck, if there was more space and heads up of the event it could have been larger.
    Why should I take your word over the word of reporters who would have been in more crowds than you?

Couscous on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Was it outside?
    http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/2008electionblog/blog_index/is-the-mccain-campaign-lying-about-crowd-estimates/1729/
    The truth, from Bloomberg. "Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events."
    I guess it might be different in Florida.

I was at that rally in Fairfax, VA last week and it must have been about 20,000. I've been in very large crowds before and holy fuck, if there was more space and heads up of the event it could have been larger.

But is she ready to lead?

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, she's so popular, you guys should make her the presidential nominee, and make McCain the VP candidate. The VP candidate being more important than the Presidential candidate for Republicans is a little sad, a little ridiculous, and a lot stupid.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, she's so popular, you guys should make her the presidential nominee, and make McCain the VP candidate. The VP candidate being more important than the Presidential candidate for Republicans is a little sad, a little ridiculous, and a lot stupid.

It worked for McKinley.

Couscous on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It worked for McKinley.

TR was made VP to get him the hell out of the New York Governor's Mansion because Boss Tweed hated his reforming bullshit.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It worked for McKinley.

TR was made VP to get him the hell out of the New York Governor's Mansion because Boss Tweed hated his reforming bullshit.

Boss Tweed was gone by then. It was some other political boss.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It worked for McKinley.

Boss Tweed was gone by then. It was some other political boss.

Was it? The New York City machine boss, whoever it was.

EDIT: Boss Platt.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sounds like we will have a good turnout this year.

Speaker on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Oh yeah, my mom forwarded an email to me asking people to donate to planned parenthood in Palin's name. Why? Because every time somebody donates to PP in your name, it sends you a little card telling you that somebody's donated in your name.

By this point, she's probably received at least a couple hundred of these cards.:lol:
    THIS IS A SCAM.

When you donate this money, Planned Parenthood cannot use it for their political action committee.

It is said that this is actually a Republican scheme to get people to waste their money on PP instead of Obama.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    Oh yeah, my mom forwarded an email to me asking people to donate to planned parenthood in Palin's name. Why? Because every time somebody donates to PP in your name, it sends you a little card telling you that somebody's donated in your name.

By this point, she's probably received at least a couple hundred of these cards.:lol:
    THIS IS A SCAM.

When you donate this money, Planned Parenthood cannot use it for their political action committee.

It is said that this is actually a Republican scheme to get people to waste their money on PP instead of Obama.

Planned Parenthood does things besides their political action committee.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They apparently did this with Bush.
    http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2008/09/sarah-palin-pla.html
    Sarah Palin opposes abortion, even in cases of rape and incest. As she said in a gubernatorial debate nearly two years ago, even if her own daughter were a rape victim, she -– not the daughter, interestingly, but Palin herself -– would ‘’choose life.’’

Now there’s an e-mail making the rounds that urges people to make a gift donation to Planned Parenthood in Palin’s name.

What makes it even better, the e-mail says, is that for every donation made in her name, Planned Parenthood sends Palin a card thanking her.

And for me, the most delicious part of all – it was my idea.

Seven years ago, after George Bush was sworn in, he immediately revoked as many pro-choice policies and appointments as he could.

Bush’s wife doesn’t think Roe v. Wade should be overturned. Neither does one of his closest advisers, Condi Rice. Ditto Nancy Reagan. And Betty Ford. And Cindy McCain.

If they couldn’t make a difference, perhaps we could. So in my Los Angeles Times column less than a week after Bush took office in January 2001, I suggested that Americans make a little gift for Presidents’ Day: a contribution to Planned Parenthood, in George Bush’s name.

Every donation generated a "thank you" card. I envisioned a scene out of "Miracle on
    34th Street," sacks and sacks of thank-you cards from Planned Parenthood, delivered to Bush in the Oval Office.

It worked. Boy, did it. Ultimately, more than a million dollars, I was told, was generated for Planned Parenthood in Bush’s name. George Bush became one of the biggest money-generators in Planned Parenthood’s history. The idea won me an award from Planned Parenthood, and a splash in Ms. Magazine.

So I am delighted that my ‘’Mother of All Ironic Donations’’ notion has been revived for Palin.

May her mailbox be full to overflowing.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

THIS IS A SCAM.

Like MURDER BABIES?

Srsrsrsly, give that money to Lord Obama plzkthnx. While Planned Parenthood can certainly use the money, if your plan is to make a political statement, you're better off donating that money to an organization that can use it for political ends.

In my opinion, nothing says "Fuck you" to Sarah Palin better than making sure she doesn't get elected.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

THIS IS A SCAM.

Like MURDER BABIES?

Srsrsrsly, give that money to Lord Obama plzkthnx. While Planned Parenthood can certainly use the money, if your plan is to make a political statement, you're better off donating that money to an organization that can use it for political ends.

In my opinion, nothing says "Fuck you" to Sarah Palin better than making sure she doesn't get elected.

Yeah, save donating to Planned Parenthood in her name until after the election.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »

THIS IS A SCAM.

Like MURDER BABIES?

Actually, since I'm not a citizen of the US, and so can't donate to Obama, this seems like a good 'fuck you' to Palin, as well as donating to a good cause.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

THIS IS A SCAM.

Like MURDER BABIES?

But we'll have new, better targets for our rage then :P

In all seriousness, it's supposed to be a fun fuck you, not a campaign strategy. If you have $5 lying around you weren't going to do anything else with, by all means shoot it to Planned Parenthood. If you want to help Obama get elected, throw down some cash or better yet some time and phone bank or canvas.

Not weighing in on either, as both are a valid use of your money.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    CorpseRT wrote: »

THIS IS A SCAM.

Like MURDER BABIES?

Actually, since I'm not a citizen of the US, and so can't donate to Obama, this seems like a good 'fuck you' to Palin, as well as donating to a good cause.
    Donate that money to me and I'll donate it to Obama. :)

Nevermind, illegal. Fulk! What I would do, if I were you, is get yourself a nice drippy fetus and mail it to Palin.

Qingu on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The obama campaign should just send a thank you note to palin for every donation.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    The obama campaign should just send a thank you note to palin for every donation.
    The fact that we raised $10 million immediately after her convention speech got a lot of media coverage. I think she got the memo.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How are the five women who are voting for McCain/Palin instead of Obama because Obama won the nomination instead of Hillary justifying voting for an unqualified, inexperienced woman?

Couscous on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How are the five women who are voting for McCain/Palin instead of Obama because Obama won the nomination instead of Hillary justifying voting for an unqualified, inexperienced woman?

She's white.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

She's white.

Correction. She's white and has a vagina.

werehippy on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How are the five women who are voting for [A WOMAN] instead of [A BLACK MAN] because [A BLACK MAN] won the nomination instead of [A WOMAN] justifying voting for a [THIS SPACE LEFT BLANK] woman?

I'm guessing...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »

She's white.

Correction. She's white and has a vagina.

A whigina, if you will.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I won't. Eww.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was really hoping that during the debates, Joe Biden would come out with a line against Palin like he used against Rudy Guliani. The sad part is that SNL already beat him to the punch...

As an independent voter who was really happy with having a choice between Barack Obama and John McCain (i.e. the only palatable Republican nominee in the whole lot of them), the past several weeks have left me feeling more and more...sad. I can't help but echo the cry of The Economist: Where the hell is the old John McCain?

It's become rapidly apparent that his desire to win is completely overpowering his own sensibilities and, perhaps worse, his own values. How can he possibly feel good about choosing Sarah Palin? Does he really think she would make a good President? The choice just...baffles me. All I see in her choice is a purely political maneuver, especially in light of the people who he really wanted to choose as his running mates...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Update on the Scooter family:

My parents are pretty much lost causes for McCain. My dad owns a 1-man company, which apparently makes enough to get taxed more under Obama, and they're single-issue voting based on their pocketbooks. They're nice people, but tbh I'm not surprised, my dad's practically in the oil industry and my mom's not real big on helping others at her/our expense. Also, my dad thinks Pres McCain/Palin would be more "interesting".

My sister won't say who she's voting for, but she didn't know who the 3rd party guys were when I mentioned them, so I can rule them out. She was for Hillary back when, but she's enough of a superficial voter (well, will-be-voter) to go along with our parents and her boyfriend (who I don't know well but am assuming party based on lives-in-redneck-part-of-Virginia stereotypes) for McCain. I'm hoping I'm wrong though. Lately she's been displaying libertarian tendencies.

Also, my hippy aunt has apparently been offering to donate to Obama on behalf of my grandma, which I assume means their family of four has already maxed out. It's illegal, which is pissing my dad off, and isn't good, but as the only other solid Dem in the family at least I know we're not all lost causes.

I don't know much about the politics of my grandmas and other aunt, but based on their personalities I'd label em unlikely voters or superficial like my sister. All in all I think this family is going to cancel itself out.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, my dad thinks Pres McCain/Palin would be more "interesting".
    A Republican after eight years of another Republican being in the whitehouse will be more interesting?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Getting nuked by the Russian/Iranian alliance while our economy drifts out to sea will be very interesting

Scooter on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A Republican after eight years of another Republican being in the whitehouse will be more interesting?

Well, if the past 8 years have been anything, they haven't been boring...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My dad owns a 1-man company, which apparently makes enough to get taxed more under Obama,

I was under the impression that Obama was planning on lowering taxes for small businesses. Now, the fact that he's apparently tied to the oil industry might make the situation different, and he sounds like he may have investigated it, but it might be worthwhile to research his specific situation if you know his income/etc - you might be able to prove him wrong on the tax angle.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Getting nuked by the Russian/Iranian alliance while our economy drifts out to sea will be very interesting

Yeah, if America was just something I watched on tv, I think a McCain/Palin Presidency would make for better viewing for the unintentional hilarity and, of course, the sort of edge of your seat thrills that only a country on the brink of collapse can give you.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    My dad owns a 1-man company, which apparently makes enough to get taxed more under Obama,

I was under the impression that Obama was planning on lowering taxes for small businesses. Now, the fact that he's apparently tied to the oil industry might make the situation different, and he sounds like he may have investigated it, but it might be worthwhile to research his specific situation if you know his income/etc - you might be able to prove him wrong on the tax angle.

Obama would lower the taxes on small businesses, but that's the business taxes. If your personal income from the business is over $250K, then you'd still be hit by higher taxes on the personal income side.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »

My parents have never told me exactly what they make, but apparently the "income" of the company is deceptively high because of stuff like getting reimbursed for $9000 flights to other continents. It's deductible but would still put him up there. Also, it's an LLC, which apparently makes a difference. To prove him wrong I'd need to know more than they tell me.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's an old man who's going to die soon and a young woman who has everything to gain off of having him leave it all to her, just like Anna Nicole Smith. That was interesting, wasn't it?
    No, it wasn't, he's stupid.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If it is deductible, it isn't income.

Like, literally, if something is an expense it does not count as income.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There is a Chinese curse which says "May he live in interesting times."

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know to me America is in many ways a TV show, depicted by the Stewart/Colbert duo. Except they bomb places.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And David beats me to the punch.

2008-09-22.gif

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Yeah, if America was just something I watched on tv, I think a McCain/Palin Presidency would make for better viewing for the unintentional hilarity and, of course, the sort of edge of your seat thrills that only a country on the brink of collapse can give you.

I think President Obama could give West Wing a run for its money. The good seasons.

moniker on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So we already know that there's a couple movies coming out to capitalize off/potentially influence the election (W., Religuous, An American Carol). I just saw a trailer for The Express - retelling of the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy - and I can't help but wonder if the timing of its release isn't incidental and it might be a more subversive attempt to make people think about the 'First Black President' angle. Am I reading too much into this?

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.