As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Today's secret word is... FUNGIBLE.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    In a single 24 period John McCain can take both sides of an issue.

There's no room for ambiguity on a position if you're already taking every position
    John McCain's positions operate at warp 10.

(That's enough of me being flippant for tonight)

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    This is going to be completely off topic, but this is incredibly annoying:

Why do people insist on calling Sarah Palin the first woman to have a chance at the Presidency? I wasnt even born when Geraldine Ferraro was picked by Walter Mondale and even I know about it. What the fuck America, open a fucking book. Shit check google or something. Jesus.

I think that given what happened to Mondale at the actual election, commentators kinda scrub him from the record vis a vis "have a chance at the Presidency." And yes, it is very annoying. Palin's pick was not historic. At all.

It was the most nakedly cynical veep pick in history. That must count for something.

Even more nakedly cynical than Palin? Man, she must have really sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    This is going to be completely off topic, but this is incredibly annoying:

Why do people insist on calling Sarah Palin the first woman to have a chance at the Presidency? I wasnt even born when Geraldine Ferraro was picked by Walter Mondale and even I know about it. What the fuck America, open a fucking book. Shit check google or something. Jesus.

I think that given what happened to Mondale at the actual election, commentators kinda scrub him from the record vis a vis "have a chance at the Presidency." And yes, it is very annoying. Palin's pick was not historic. At all.

It was the most nakedly cynical veep pick in history. That must count for something.

Even more nakedly cynical than Palin? Man, she must have really sucked.

He's talking about Palin

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Through Matt Yglesias, another passage from the McCain penned article that brought us the "Let's deregulate health care like we did the banks" statement.
    Parents who don’t impart to their children a sense of personal responsibility for their health, nutrition, and exercise–vital quality-of-life information that political correctness has expelled from our schools–have failed their responsibility.

So... PC out of the schools so they can tell kids not to be fatties again?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What has political correctness done to prevent children from knowing that they need to practice good nutrition and exercise? The food chart telling kids what they should eat and other stuff haven't been banned from schools.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So we're going to actually win this one?

I might just sustain an erection through November if this keeps up.

TL DR on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    In a single 24 period John McCain can take both sides of an issue.

There's no room for ambiguity on a position if you're already taking every position
    John McCain's positions operate at warp 10.

(That's enough of me being flippant for tonight)

Nah. He obviously uses transwarp conduits. McCain's positions on deregulation changed so fast its obvious he had access to Borg technology. He made it from the Delta Quadrant to the Sol system in less than 12 parsecs.

Fast enough for you? Old man..

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    Through Matt Yglesias, another passage from the McCain penned article that brought us the "Let's deregulate health care like we did the banks" statement.
    Parents who don’t impart to their children a sense of personal responsibility for their health, nutrition, and exercise–vital quality-of-life information that political correctness has expelled from our schools–have failed their responsibility.

I always thought it was removing tax dollars for struggling schools that contributed to poor performance. Now I see.. its political correctness thats responsible for our inability to comprehend math and science.

A-HA!

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

Last week Obama was down to the forties and there was no looming financial crisis (well, to the public at large at least).

Things change, they change fast, and they're going to do so with spectacular frequency as the election draws closer. So I guess what I'm saying is enjoy the stiffy while it lasts because it's bound to wilt again sooner or later.

...that was an unpleasant sentence.

Rust on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You cant really get complacent about it. A single stolen state or two can really muck up the works real bad.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, irony. Skimming the transcript, I found this gem from the last VP debate:
    Ifill wrote:
    OK, we'll move on.

This goes to you, Senator Edwards, and you have two minutes.

Ten men and women have been nominees of their parties since 1976 to be vice president. Out of those ten, you have the least governmental experience of any of them.

What qualifies you to be a heartbeat away?

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Wait until after the election, hmm? Best way to act is as if Obama needs help.

...which he does, in his ad selection if nothing else. I'm in MD at the moment, and every @$% TV ad is the "we can't afford more of the same" stuff. Just once I'd like to see a "I'm Obama and this is why you should vote for me" sort of ad instead of "This is McCain, boo hiss" ad. Something to dispell the "He has has no substance and no policy" garbage.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What has political correctness done to prevent children from knowing that they need to practice good nutrition and exercise? The food chart telling kids what they should eat and other stuff haven't been banned from schools.

This is imaginary conservative political correctness he's talking about.

You know, where white males live in concentration camps and school children are forced to read the koran?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait a minute...

The current bill proposed basically gives the Treasury Secretary a 700 billion investment fund with no accountability...

If John McCain wins the election, one of the possible appointments for that position is...

Phil Gramm?!

The one responsible for this mess?!

D:D:D:D:

Quoting myself in order to somebody tell me I'm missing something...

Grim Squeaker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    David_T wrote: »
    Clearly, it's political correctness that has cut school budgets to the point where all anyone cares about is reading, writing, and arithmetic, since that's all that shows up on the standardized tests, and therefore things like science, health, and physical education have been cut.

No, it's definitely the political correctness that's done it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Wait a minute...

The current bill proposed basically gives the Treasury Secretary a 700 billion investment fund with no accountability...

If John McCain wins the election, one of the possible appointments for that position is...

Phil Gramm?!

The one responsible for this mess?!

D:D:D:D:

Quoting myself in order to somebody tell me I'm missing something...

No. You are missing nothing. Nothing has evaded you.

Feel free to continue feeling terrified for the future.

Rust on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, I have a question..

Where the fuck is Joe Biden? Seriously, he has just gotten run over by announcements, disasters and talking points. He barely registers, outside of being mentioned versus Palin, and I've only seen him on the Nightly News like twice. It's not like he's a bad pick or anything, he just feels so.. irrelevant after the past 3 weeks.

But that's probably due to Palin being such a giant ass talking point. There's not much to say about Biden.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Where the fuck is Joe Biden? Seriously, he has just gotten run over by announcements, disasters and talking points. He barely registers, outside of being mentioned versus Palin, and I've only seen him on the Nightly News like twice. It's not like he's a bad pick or anything, he just feels so.. irrelevant after the past 3 weeks.

But that's probably due to Palin being such a giant ass talking point. There's not much to say about Biden.

It's good that he's not in the news, means he hasn't said something stupid.

yakul on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

May be a good thing. I have a feeling after the debates, you'll be seeing good ol' Joe quite a bit.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think him feeling irrelevant is a very good VP quality.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    His speeches are pretty kickass.

And he always comes across as very sincere. Which is a plus.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I entered a few hundred more names into a database today. For America.

One of those names was Senator Dick Durbin. So I now know his personal phone number. There is something vaguely unsettling about that since I shouldn't.

moniker on
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

He's gotten in a couple zingers and has been, by almost all accounts, solidly effective on the stump. He's also been properly vetted by the media and doesn't have a history of nepotism, scandal and crazy like Palin.

Spoony on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think him feeling irrelevant is a very good VP quality.

Not doing anything that trumps 'historic financial collapse' for newsworthiness is generally a positive trait. The only gaffes I can think of which could possibly take coverage away from Wall Street go beyond Ford's 'there is no Soviet dominance of Poland' level of stupid.

moniker on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They're also using Biden to help the woman vote and Florida vote.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

They are having him trade sex for votes. Sadly, he isn't accepting male votes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Where is his approval rating among women compared to Palin's? I mean, he wrote the VAWA, but I don't expect that's as widely known as the fact that Palin is a working mom, just like you.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Where is his approval rating among women compared to Palin's? I mean, he wrote the VAWA, but I don't expect that's as widely known as the fact that Palin is a working mom, just like you.

She appeals to the 30-40 (though her numbers are waning), he appeals to the 50+.

moniker on
  • Options
    JustPlainPavekJustPlainPavek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Biden has been plugging away in PA and other places, the media has just opted to focus coverage on all the Palin nonsense. Also I believe it was Yglesias that pointed out that foreign policy has been eclipsed by the economy in the past couple of news cycles, so Biden hasn't gotten an opportunity to get out in front on that lately. The campaign is probably fine with that, though I still fantasize about seeing him go up against Palin on the issue of Pakistan in their debates.

JustPlainPavek on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, my mom forwarded an email to me asking people to donate to planned parenthood in Palin's name. Why? Because every time somebody donates to PP in your name, it sends you a little card telling you that somebody's donated in your name.

By this point, she's probably received at least a couple hundred of these cards.:lol:

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

More like, who the fuck is Biden?

Palin draws crowd of 60,000 in The Villages

http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080921/NEWS0107/80921022
    The fire chief estimated the crowd at 60,000.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's higher among white women last I saw. 40-25 favorable-unfavorable against 34-36.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    60 minutes has both McCain and Obama on right now.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Old people interested in Palin/McCain ticket? No! EDIT: Oh jeez, having read the article, we learn she turns out the base. We know that.

Also is that the fire chief quoted directly or the fire chief as quoted by the McCain campaign. If the latter, we can safely assume...500?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Was it outside?
    http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/2008electionblog/blog_index/is-the-mccain-campaign-lying-about-crowd-estimates/1729/
    The truth, from Bloomberg. "Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events."
    I guess it might be different in Florida.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

She's the world's biggest celebrity...

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    She's the world's biggest celebrity...
    She may be The One...

Couscous on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Was it outside?
    http://www.mgwashington.com/index.php/2008electionblog/blog_index/is-the-mccain-campaign-lying-about-crowd-estimates/1729/
    The truth, from Bloomberg. "Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events."
    I guess it might be different in Florida.

I was at that rally in Fairfax, VA last week and it must have been about 20,000. I've been in very large crowds before and holy fuck, if there was more space and heads up of the event it could have been larger.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In a theme Palin would pound home, GOP Chairman Jim Greer Greer said Obama and his running mate, Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, have records of voting for higher taxes and have said on the campaign trail that they would increase regulation of financial markets.

"John MCain and I are going to take our case for reform to every voter in every background and every party, or no party at all," said Palin. "We're going to Washington to shake things up."

She said "John McCain warned Congress that we needed to do something before these problems became a crisis," but that Washington -- including Obama and Biden -- did not act for months as financial giants teetered and toppled.
    The tax increase lie pops up again. I thought McCain said he supported more regulation?

Couscous on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/Palin_draws_largest_crowd_yet_for_GOP_.html?showall
    The St. Pete Times's Adam Smith had another fire official in the crowd say it was about 25,000.

So, yeah.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
This discussion has been closed.