As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency: Today's secret word is... FUNGIBLE.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    And David beats me to the punch.

2008-09-22.gif

I love Sinfest lately. It's been so fantastic.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So we already know that there's a couple movies coming out to capitalize off/potentially influence the election (W., Religuous, An American Carol). I just saw a trailer for The Express - retelling of the first black man to win the Heisman Trophy - and I can't help but wonder if the timing of its release isn't incidental and it might be a more subversive attempt to make people think about the 'First Black President' angle. Am I reading too much into this?

Yes.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If they rerelease that Chris Rock President movie then you know something's up.

Scooter on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gah, I sometimes like to avoid this stuff (even though I avidly lurk this thread) because it depresses me, but there is no escape.
    Picture8.png
    Picture7.png

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Did Nixon actually say the last line in that trailer?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did Nixon actually say the last line in that trailer?

That is what Nixon thought executive privilege meant. I can't believe executive privilege isn't dead.

http://www.landmarkcases.org/nixon/nixonview.html
    FROST: The wave of dissent, occasionally violent, which followed in the wake of the Cambodian incursion, prompted President Nixon to demand better intelligence about the people who were opposing him. To this end, the Deputy White House Counsel, Tom Huston, arranged a series of meetings with representatives of the CIA, the FBI, and other police and intelligence agencies.

These meetings produced a plan, the Huston Plan, which advocated the systematic use of wiretappings, burglaries, or so-called black bag jobs, mail openings and infiltration against antiwar groups and others. Some of these activities, as Huston emphasized to Nixon, were clearly illegal. Nevertheless, the president approved the plan. Five days later, after opposition from J. Edgar Hoover, the plan was withdrawn, but the president's approval was later to be listed in the Articles of Impeachment as an alleged abuse of presidential power.

FROST: So what in a sense, you're saying is that there are certain situations, and the Huston Plan or that part of it was one of them, where the president can decide that it's in the best interests of the nation or something, and do something illegal.

NIXON: Well, when the president does it that means that it is not illegal.

FROST: By definition.

NIXON: Exactly. Exactly. If the president, for example, approves something because of the national security, or in this case because of a threat to internal peace and order of significant magnitude, then the president's decision in that instance is one that enables those who carry it out, to carry it out without violating a law. Otherwise they're in an impossible position.

Couscous on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I could even live with the idea of executive privilege from public disclosure. But a bare minimum would seem to be oversight from the other branches of government for the sake of checks and balances.

If the country wasn't on the knifes edge of being crippled for a generation I'd be glad that the sheer incompetence of Bush's excesses give reform the best shoot we've seen in decades.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder if anyone ever asked Nixon whether he would be comfortable with any president holding this kind of power.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, man, remember how when Obama says negative stuff, it tends to be true?

Just saw that on Digg, thinking that it would turn out to be a lie, since most of the time when you're citing a fact check website, it IS a lie, but nope, it's true.
    Fact Check wrote:
    Q: Is it true John McCain voted with George Bush 95 percent of the time?
    The Obama campaign keeps claiming McCain has voted with President Bush 95 percent of the time. Is this true? Is this significant?

A: Yes, it's true, according to Congressional Quarterly's assessment of McCain's voting record.
    Sen. Barack Obama has attempted to use the Arizona senator's voting record against him in statements like this:

Barack Obama (June 3): It's not change when John McCain decided to stand with George Bush 95 percent of the time, as he did in the Senate last year.

The claim is true. According to Congressional Quarterly's Voting Studies, in 2007 McCain voted in line with the president's position 95 percent of the time – the highest percentage rate for McCain since Bush took office – and voted in line with his party 90 percent of the time. However, McCain's support of President Bush's position has been as low as 77 percent (in 2005), and his support for his party's position has been as low as 67 percent (2001).

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    My dad owns a 1-man company, which apparently makes enough to get taxed more under Obama,

I was under the impression that Obama was planning on lowering taxes for small businesses. Now, the fact that he's apparently tied to the oil industry might make the situation different, and he sounds like he may have investigated it, but it might be worthwhile to research his specific situation if you know his income/etc - you might be able to prove him wrong on the tax angle.

My parents have never told me exactly what they make, but apparently the "income" of the company is deceptively high because of stuff like getting reimbursed for $9000 flights to other continents. It's deductible but would still put him up there. Also, it's an LLC, which apparently makes a difference. To prove him wrong I'd need to know more than they tell me.

If it makes you feel any better, the "1 man LLC" and similar is a tax evasion technique.

You pay yourself a "reasonable salary" and then get the rest in "dividends". The dividends aren't subject to payroll taxes and so you save about 15% on that money.

It has nothing to do with getting reimbursed for $9000 flights, those are work related and not compensation, they would be deductible no matter how you decided to pay your taxes.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Argus wrote: »

Just saw that on Digg, thinking that it would turn out to be a lie, since most of the time when you're citing a fact check website, it IS a lie, but nope, it's true.
    Fact Check wrote:
    The Obama campaign keeps claiming McCain has voted with President Bush 95 percent of the time. Is this true? Is this significant?

A: Yes, it's true, according to Congressional Quarterly's assessment of McCain's voting record.
    Sen. Barack Obama has attempted to use the Arizona senator's voting record against him in statements like this:

Barack Obama (June 3): It's not change when John McCain decided to stand with George Bush 95 percent of the time, as he did in the Senate last year.

The claim is true. According to Congressional Quarterly's Voting Studies, in 2007 McCain voted in line with the president's position 95 percent of the time – the highest percentage rate for McCain since Bush took office – and voted in line with his party 90 percent of the time. However, McCain's support of President Bush's position has been as low as 77 percent (in 2005), and his support for his party's position has been as low as 67 percent (2001).
    So in other words, the McCain of today isn't the McCain at the turn of the century?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    I could even live with the idea of executive privilege from public disclosure. But a bare minimum would seem to be oversight from the other branches of government for the sake of checks and balances.

If the country wasn't on the knifes edge of being crippled for a generation I'd be glad that the sheer incompetence of Bush's excesses give reform the best shoot we've seen in decades.

Except practically Congress is leakier than a colander. Although I guess the Justice Dept. having oversight would be a-ok.
    Er, wait no.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Fact Check wrote:

So in other words, the McCain of today isn't the McCain at the turn of the century?

Unless McCain is going to hold a press conference right after taking office to announce "GOTCHA!" and revert back to McCain '00, I think so.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    My dad owns a 1-man company, which apparently makes enough to get taxed more under Obama,

I was under the impression that Obama was planning on lowering taxes for small businesses. Now, the fact that he's apparently tied to the oil industry might make the situation different, and he sounds like he may have investigated it, but it might be worthwhile to research his specific situation if you know his income/etc - you might be able to prove him wrong on the tax angle.

My parents have never told me exactly what they make, but apparently the "income" of the company is deceptively high because of stuff like getting reimbursed for $9000 flights to other continents. It's deductible but would still put him up there. Also, it's an LLC, which apparently makes a difference. To prove him wrong I'd need to know more than they tell me.

If it makes you feel any better, the "1 man LLC" and similar is a tax evasion technique.

You pay yourself a "reasonable salary" and then get the rest in "dividends". The dividends aren't subject to payroll taxes and so you save about 15% on that money.

It has nothing to do with getting reimbursed for $9000 flights, those are work related and not compensation, they would be deductible no matter how you decided to pay your taxes.

ie, this might be one of the 'tax loopholes' that Obama's talking about closing?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

ie, this might be one of the 'tax loopholes' that Obama's talking about closing?

In fairness to those "1 man LLCs" it's also (from my understanding) a method to shield your personal assets in the event that your business fails...which seems like something any sane businessowner would want to do.

Perhaps the tax benefits are just icing.

I am not opposed to seeing this icing removed.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Seriously, if Obama doesn't win this election, I will burn Utica to the ground.
    Wait....are you from CNY too? Is there a reason we have a bunch of people from around here in this thread?

I actually am from CNY (Hamilton then Ithaca), but the quote is from "The Office."

Utica could use a good burning, as long as it stays away from Garfield's.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    deowolf wrote: »
    Wait....are you from CNY too? Is there a reason we have a bunch of people from around here in this thread?

I actually am from CNY (Hamilton then Ithaca), but the quote is from "The Office."

Upstate New York in general could stand to be leveled, to be honest. Am I really so close to Canada, really? Are you sure I'm not in North Carolina or some crap because what the hell is that confederate flag doing on that college kid's car god damnit.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

Upstate New York in general could stand to be leveled, to be honest. Am I really so close to Canada, really? Are you sure I'm not in North Carolina or some crap because what the hell is that confederate flag doing on that college kid's car god damnit.

I live in Canada and I'll see confederate flag license plates.

Man what?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

"It means rebellion against big government and state's rights. It's OK."
    - A (black, btw) kid I went to school with in WNY

I still get speechless over that one.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dunno if this was already posted, but...it was a 4chan /b/tard who allegedly cracked Palin's e-mail account.

good lord. this is what the election has turned into.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Which didn't involve much.

Doing state business over a personal email account is bad enough. Doing it over a Yahoo email account that has the recovery question set to "What is your zip code"..

..is there a category for "treasonably retarded"?

EDIT: OK, to be fair she had two, and that was the "personal" personal one. I'm betting the other isn't much more secure.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Doing state business over a personal email account is bad enough. Doing it over a Yahoo email account that has the recovery question set to "What is your zip code"..

EDIT: OK, to be fair she had two, and that was the "personal" personal one. I'm betting the other isn't much more secure.

I object to that! Most autistic kids are good with computers!

That means she doesn't even make retarded. Remember that chart in Forest Gump? She was hiding under the desk.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Let's put it this way.

Army policy strictly forbids me from forwarding my us.army.mil email address to any non-government email address. This despite the fact that it's a non-secure address anyway, and no classified or sensitive information would ever be sent to me over it.

And I'm just a random low-level enlisted soldier in the National Guard.

So why the fuck would a Governor think it would be a good idea to conduct any government business on such an account, or CC any such business to yet another non-government email address (her husband).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A nuclear launch requires either the input of a 20 digit alphanumerical code or the name of the president's childhood pet

Elendil on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm wondering, did McCain stop with his most lying ads? Because I've seen relatively few comments on those for the past week or so. And before that we got bombarded with new bullshit every day. Thinking that the McCain campaign cares more about the negative press from the week before the banking issues then he's saying out loud.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Let's put it this way.

Army policy strictly forbids me from forwarding my us.army.mil email address to any non-government email address. This despite the fact that it's a non-secure address anyway, and no classified or sensitive information would ever be sent to me over it.

And I'm just a random low-level enlisted soldier in the National Guard.

So why the fuck would a Governor think it would be a good idea to conduct any government business on such an account, or CC any such business to yet another non-government email address (her husband).

She got away with it before the attention of the entire nation came down on her, right? I wonder if the McCain campaign brought the two of them to a restaurant they rented out, blindfolded, and then announced that Palin would be McCain's VP. Like an arranged marriage.

A lot seems to point to the idea that Palin thought of Alaska as her own kind of pocket universe. She didn't seem to think about the outside world much and ran the government with little thought to the idea of outside intervention.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, even Bill Kristol isn't sure about the bailout, though it doesn't stop him from taking a few potshots at Obama or puffing up McCain.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Getting nuked by the Russian/Iranian alliance while our economy drifts out to sea will be very interesting

Yeah, if America was just something I watched on tv, I think a McCain/Palin Presidency would make for better viewing for the unintentional hilarity and, of course, the sort of edge of your seat thrills that only a country on the brink of collapse can give you.

I think President Obama could give West Wing a run for its money. The good seasons.

People need to stop talking about West Wing so much because it really really makes me want to go watch Night Five but last time I tried to I was categorically unable to find it

They'll Like Us When We Win

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man, even Bill Kristol isn't sure about the bailout, though it doesn't stop him from taking a few potshots at Obama or puffing up McCain.
    Bill Kristol is a fool.

Rent on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Rent wrote: »
    Bill Kristol is a fool.

Do you pity him?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bill Kristol is a fool.

Well, he's more a hopeless shill for Republicans in power, which is why his seeming opposition is worth noting.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://iVoteValues.com

Check out the "Hot Issues" tab.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I object to that! Most autistic kids are good with computers!

That means she doesn't even make retarded. Remember that chart in Forest Gump? She was hiding under the desk.

Just because I'm nerdy enough that I have to clear it up. Autism != retardation. There's a high correlation, 70% or something if I remember right, but they're still completely different disorders. And since 70% of autistic kids are mentally retarded, I wouldn't bank on the majority of them being good with computers :P
    I know, I know. It was just a joke, nothing to be taken seriously. It's not like I'm offended by it, it's just a pet peeve of mine to correct psych stuff (now watch it turn out I wrote something wrong here and become the joke).

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

As your attorney, I have to advise against this course of action.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

I regret not following my attorney's counsel.

Also I would kill just to be able to see the news headlines from next week because with this economic hullabaloo my need for information is overruling my need for other less important things like sleep and digestion.

Rust on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    First off, too tired to do the index; I'll get it in the morning. That said...
    538 wrote:
    In a controversial move sure to upset millions of people, Barack Obama’s campaign has decided to forgo the traditional time-wasting distribution of chum (yard signs, bumper stickers, etc.) to try and win the election.

Settling on what they call a “get voters to register by approaching them on the phone and at the door with an army of volunteers” strategy, Obama’s senior staff has directed state, regional, and local field organizers to use their finite time to make tangible progress toward winning.

It’s an approach that has ruffled some Democratic feathers.

That got me concerned, and I headed out to the Leesburg, Virginia, Obama office to see about getting myself one, thinking that some visibility for the Democratic ticket on my street was more critical than ever. My neighbors sometimes need "permission" to display their Democratic preferences, even though our Republican friends don't seem to wait for anyone's invitation.
    Despite Obama’s 100% name recognition, opponents of the “maybe worry about visibility after registration deadlines close” strategy pronounced the situation “dire” on the front page of Daily Kos yesterday.

So dire was the situation that volunteers in the office were taking up collections to have their own signs printed.
    Asked about this dire situation in Virginia, Obama campaign manager David Plouffe responded*, “You have got to be $@!#ing kidding me. Is this a joke? I’m busy, I have to go.”

The Obama campaign goal has been to register and track over 300,000 new voters in Virginia, including the direly-situated Leesburg. Though they are on pace to achieve this goal, some Democrats are concerned that people will see more McCain signs and feel dispirited.

Top Obama strategist David Axelrod, when reached for comment Sunday, noted*, “these yard sign questions are making my brain bleed. Please stop.”

Still, concerned Democrats are up in arms.

I need to know what's up with this. I know a lot of people don't think yard signs mean anything at all, but where I live, they're a critical part of the ground game -- like I said, giving less political or less outspoken neighbors the permission they need to open up about their support. (emphasis added)
    Obama campaign strategists believe that, with their massive months-long, grinding-it-out-every-day registration plan, that 80 percent of those new registrations would vote for Obama, and that 75% of the newly registered voters will turn out. If 75% of an 80-20 split on 300,000 new registrants turns out, that’s Barack Obama adding 135,000 bonus votes to his total in Virginia alone. Organizers in Obama’s Virginia campaign offices have been sternly instructed to focus on those numbers by spending long, exhausting days recruiting volunteers instead of spending their limited time worrying about whether there are enough yard signs to go around.

Still, some concerned Democrats need to know what the heck these guys are thinking, because “feeling good” is really important.

Concernedly, they stress that seeing a yard sign is one way for neighbors to have conversations with one another about politics. Since most people tend to vote or not vote based on visibility peer pressure**, Dems may be in danger of losing the tender flower swing vote to McCain.

In South Carolina’s crushing Obama primary win, there were a measly 1,000 Obama yard signs in the entire state. But asked whether an “up mood” via yard sign is a “critical part of the ground game in Virginia,” National Field Director Temo Figeroa began laughing until the end of time*.

*Note: Made-up quotes. But not inaccurate, wanna wager?
    **Note: Absolutely false

Listen.

Organizers – the people out there killing themselves to win this election – hate yard signs with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Barack Obama’s organizers hate them. John McCain’s organizers hate them. It’s because yard signs don’t vote – but they do generate a ridiculous amount of complaining that must be patiently listened to. Until yard signs sprout little legs and go to the polls on Election Day, in a presidential election with universal name recognition they are just a nice little decoration.

They’re little feel good things, making you feel like you’re on the team. There is nothing wrong with that – that’s not the objection. The objection is that there is limited time for organizers to accomplish a wide array of prioritized tasks, and in this election they’ve chosen to prioritize identifying, registering, persuading and getting their voters to the polls. Yard signs cut into the organizer’s sleep time – literally.

A lot of people aren’t going to like hearing this truth, but organizers recognize that the majority of people who walk into offices for yard signs are, for volunteering purposes – and this is a technical term – useless. In the majority, these people are not going to knock, they’re not going to make phone calls. Instead, they are going to throw the organizer’s incredibly precious, sleep-deprived time down a bottomless abyss of irretrievability.

People who plant yard signs are maybe going to make their neighbors aware that they support a particular candidate, and in theory, if they live near voters who cede their opinions to peer pressure, they could theoretically be shading the influence of a vote here or there.

Here’s a little secret: there will always be exceptions, but people who spend a lot of time volunteering in campaign offices tend to get yard signs. Organizers know and love these people dearly, and they take care of them.

Every single person pouring real effort into this campaign knows what I’m writing is true. In every office we stop into, we ask both sides about yard signs. It’s unanimous. In good old purple Colorado, in Montezuma County, the Republican women volunteering at the local office pointed out how their signs read, “Paid for by the Montezuma County Republican Party.” They, too, had to generate their own local signs, and have to deal with unhappy people who stop in to get their prize but go away empty handed.

Yes, of course it would be nice to have more yard signs. If organizers had an infinite amount of time, they would be happy to pester their bosses up the ladder to see when they’re coming in. Then they’d love to chat with you about how someone stole or defaced them, and run a bunch of replacements right out.

But in the very purple, exurban Northern Virginia neighborhoods there is a problem. There’s a walk list sitting in a campaign office not being walked and knocked, and a newly-registered voter who projects as .45 of a vote for Obama is not being registered.

That one was for you, Every Organizer in America. Love ya, you magnificent bastards.

tl;dr: If you do not yet have a lawn sign and wish to obtain one, work your ass off for the campaign and someone will be happy to scrounge one up for you. Otherwise? Leave 'em alone; they're busy.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

All politics aside, I like Sarah Palin, the woman. I like her because she’s real.
    D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

All politics aside, I like Sarah Palin, the woman. I like her because she’s real.
    D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

After reading that, I realized that the website was iVoteValues for a reason, D:.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You know, Pelosi at least manages to do her job occasionally.
    Pelosi wrote:
    Congress will respond to the financial markets crisis by taking action this week in a bipartisan manner that will protect the taxpayers’ interests. The Administration’s $700 billion proposal does not include the necessary safeguards. Democrats believe a responsible solution should include independent oversight, protections for homeowners and constraints on excessive executive compensation.

We will not simply hand over a $700 billion blank check to Wall Street and hope for a better outcome.

http://thepage.time.com/pelosi-statement-on-legislation-to-address-crisis-in-financial-markets/

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.