We have a new update on The Future of the Penny Arcade Forums.

Comics Trivia

• animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So comics trivia. Didn't CBR used to have a weekly type column with rumors and trivia? A fan would mail in a rumor, like Superman's dad was not shown for 10 years or whatever, and then the columnist would be all "FALSE Jor-El first appeared in 1943, although blah blah etc etc"

I'm not talking about the current rumor thing... lying in the gutters or whatever, but a different column.

They do a weekly Urban Legends feature.

animale on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    that Comic Book Urban Legends coloumn is great

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    ...in late 1989, Rocket Racer started showing up again in the pages of Web of Spider-Man…and Night Thrasher had just debuted in the pages of Thor (along with the rest of the New Warriors)…
    McDuffie (then an editor at Marvel), took slight issue with the fact that this was basically a quarter of the black superheroes appearing in Marvel Comics at the time, and they were a bit, well, similar.

This led to McDuffie’s hilarious parody pitch…Teenage Negro Ninja Thrashers.
    682new_storyimage1636614_full.jpg

link

I would totally fucking read that

Me Too! on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought Night Thrasher was the white poor-man's-Midnighter from New Warriors.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Night Thrasher is the dude from New Warriors but he's never been white

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Uh
    Night Thrasher was a black dude named Duane
    And now he's another black dude

Me Too! on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well the only thing I've ever seen him in is Civil War 1. And for some reason I remembered him being white but it turns out he's wearing a full-face mask. So yeah, my bad.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    animale wrote: »
    So comics trivia. Didn't CBR used to have a weekly type column with rumors and trivia? A fan would mail in a rumor, like Superman's dad was not shown for 10 years or whatever, and then the columnist would be all "FALSE Jor-El first appeared in 1943, although blah blah etc etc"

I'm not talking about the current rumor thing... lying in the gutters or whatever, but a different column.

That sounds a lot like something that someone totally awesome already posted on the first page. Just saying :P

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's amazing how Sean McKeever has fallen from golden boy future of the industry to oh my god what has he done

Not that it's unwarranted. I don't even want to know how that wonder dog shit ended up.

Lux on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    animale wrote: »

That sounds a lot like something that someone totally awesome already posted on the first page. Just saying :P

Ha! You did. didn't you? Now I feel like a jackass for also posting it on the second page.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    how many people in total has the punisher killed

i have always pondered this

it's upwards of 7000 at minimum

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    in punisher MAX it said something like one or two thousand people, which seemed ridiculously low since he's been working for, what, 30 years in that?

Garlic Bread on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    in punisher MAX it said something like one or two thousand people, which seemed ridiculously low since he's been working for, what, 30 years in that?
    Remember kids, Punisher doesn't kill people, it's those little things that come out of his guns that do the trick.

see317 on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

well at one point you see a news broadcaster estimate that he's killed as many as two thousand people.

frank himself never gives a number, and given the numbers of people you see him kill that nobody would ever even tie to the punisher anyway, it's probably more than that. but also keep in mind that he doesn't necessarily kill people every day, either. he spends a lot of time on recon, traveling, preparations, that sort of thing.

in the regular marvel universe, at one point frank kills 2000 guys at the same time, so it's definitely more there.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Servo wrote: »

well at one point you see a news broadcaster estimate that he's killed as many as two thousand people.

frank himself never gives a number, and given the numbers of people you see him kill that nobody would ever even tie to the punisher anyway, it's probably more than that. but also keep in mind that he doesn't necessarily kill people every day, either. he spends a lot of time on recon, traveling, preparations, that sort of thing.

in the regular marvel universe, at one point frank kills 2000 guys at the same time, so it's definitely more there.

Yeah, it's not like Punisher leaves a calling card, and a criminal can get shot in the head any number of ways,

Robos A Go Go on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought Punisher Max was a different animal entirely... or is it all the same Punisher?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

haha what

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    man in the regular marvel universe, he's had a gun that shoots swords and been turned black.

is that really shocking?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited October 2008

haha what

he drops a nuke on an island filled with evil mercenaries.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I thought Punisher Max was a different animal entirely... or is it all the same Punisher?

unclear! nick fury, s.h.i.e.l.d, and microchip all exist in the max series, but no superheroes seem to. it's mostly just best to think of it as a different thing that has some characters in common with the regular marvel universe.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    and a criminal can get shot in the head any number of ways,

i'm pretty sure there's only one.

PantheraOnca on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

haha what

Samson killed a thousand fleeing Philistines with a donkey's jaw. He could have doubled that easily using Frank Castle's heavy weapons.

emnmnme on
  • The Dark HillbillyThe Dark Hillbilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

unclear! nick fury, s.h.i.e.l.d, and microchip all exist in the max series, but no superheroes seem to. it's mostly just best to think of it as a different thing that has some characters in common with the regular marvel universe.

The MAX series has never specifically said there aren't any other heroes, super or otherwise. They've just avoided it completely. However, if there's a S.H.I.E.L.D. you have to assume that there's the whole rest of the Marvel universe. The only thing they've done to debunk the normal Marvel universe is to have the Punisher be aged properly in some storylines. In other storylines, he looks thirty.

The Dark Hillbilly on
    edited October 2008

The MAX series has never specifically said there aren't any other heroes, super or otherwise. They've just avoided it completely. However, if there's a S.H.I.E.L.D. you have to assume that there's the whole rest of the Marvel universe. The only thing they've done to debunk the normal Marvel universe is to have the Punisher be aged properly in some storylines. In other storylines, he looks thirty.
    any impression that he might look thirty (i'm assuming you're thinking of goran parlov) is purely an artistic thing. he's absolutely meant to be like 60 years old the entire series.

incidentally, we don't have to assume that there's anything beyond shield, because they never show it.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, some more random comic trivia.

Kevin Maguire, upon discovering that Max Lord would kill Blue Beetle in Countdown to Infinite Crisis, and becoming mildly perturbed by it, briefly toyed with the idea of giving him an unauthorized backdoor resurrection. In I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League, the Superbuddies visit a parallel universe where nefarious versions of themselves exist. Maguire planned to have Beetle, upon returning from the parallel universe, appear in a different costume, implying that the evil Beetle came back in the real Beetle's place. He ultimately decided not to do it.

Working with his good friend and frequent collaborate Fabian Nicieza, Maguire illustrated the Elseworlds JLA: Created Equal, where every man on Earth drops dead, save for Superman and Lex Luthor. Maguire pushed the idea of Blue Beetle appearing in Superman's place, reasoning that while a story featuring the greatest hero on Earth as one of the last surviving men alive would be good, a story featuring a bumbling, unattractive, dork of a hero might be better.

In 52, Booster Gold's death was plotted out in several different ways, before the writers ultimately settled on the final version. In one version, which I'm still disappointed I didn't get to see, Booster Gold would pull a Frank Grimes, performing numerous dangerous stunts in front of a crowd of onlookers while screaming, "Look at me! I'm Supernova!" before ultimately meeting his demise.

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sorta comics related trivia: celebrities who read comics.

Rachel Maddow (host of the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC and Air America)
    Nicolas Cage
    Kobe Bryant

Feel free to add to the list.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stephen Colbert.

Edit: I think Jon Stewart, but I don't know for sure. There are a number of celebrities that are gamers, which one would assume means they might be more likely to read comics, but also I wouldn't say it with certainty. These would include Robin Williams and Vin Diesel.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Sorta comics related trivia: celebrities who read comics.

Rachel Maddow (host of the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC and Air America)
    Nicolas Cage
    Kobe Bryant

Feel free to add to the list.

I'm pretty sure Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are comic readers. I forget the source though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Affleck wrote the intro to the Guardian Devil trade.

Bloods End on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Patrick Stewart wrote the intro to my copy of Transmet, I think ... ?

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bill Hader and Seth Rogen reportedly bonded while discussing their favorite comic books and movies, leading to Hader getting a role in Superbad. Michael Cera and Jonah Hill are apparently fans of Scott Pilgrim. Thomas Jane's something of a fan, having written a comic, and cited Will Eisner's writing as inspiration. Brian Posehn and Patton Oswalt are comic fans. And I think someone who works on King of the Hill is too, because I could swear I saw Bobby reading Invincible one time.

I always feel kind of goofy talking about famous people that read comics. Like it's implied that it's amazing they'd bother to. Kind of a self-deprecating attitude.

Anyhow, did you know John Rogers got the Blue Beetle writing gig because he wrote a long, ranting screed against DC comics?
    After long hours of thought, this is the only scenario I could come up with which can possibly justify the current attitude towards comics of the DC Editorial Team when one takes both Identity Crisis and the Countdown books into account:

INT. DARK SUBURBAN HOME - MIDNIGHT - MANY YEARS AGO

The DC EDITORIAL TEAM, age 5, awakens from a restless slumber. Strange noises have disturbed him. Thumb in his mouth, he takes his blankie and wanders into the dark second-floor hallway of his home.

REVEAL

DC Ed's FATHER, pantless, bloody, sprawled on the landing . He thrashes, gurgling, a shard of the shattered, smiling FAMILY PORTRAIT jammed into his jugular. He would crawl for help, but he has been beaten with his own severed leg.

DC ED
    Aaaaahhhhh!

FATHER
    guuuuurrgglllllee!

His arterial spray splashes DC Ed right in the face.

DC ED
    AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Father
    guuurrgle-bubble-gurgle

The DC Editorial Team rushes downstairs.

INT. DINING ROOM

DC Ed enters to discover

HIS MOM

dressed as a French Maid, but wearing full clown make-up, having rough sex on the dining room table with

SILVER AGE COMICS,

who is in leather chaps and a Madonna bustier, both of them drunk and laughing maniacally.

DC ED'S MOM
    Say it again!

SILVER AGE COMICS
    There's no Santa Claus!

DC ED
    AAGAGHHAHAGGGAGAAHHHHHHAAAGGGGGGAAAHHHH!

... later, sitting on the curb, a blanket wrapped around him by a kindly paramedic, the DC Editorial Team watches his house and his entire family destroyed in the inferno ignited when Silver Age Comics set his beloved Golden Retriever, Barky, on fire.

Given that, I understand what's going on.
    Interesting theory, only... shouldn't Silver Age be raping mom?
    No, mom being complicit makes it worse.

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2008
    hahahahaha

Garlic Bread on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hader did a mildly amusing video of an interview with Ed Brubaker about Criminal on Ed's MySpace page.

Crimsondude on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited October 2008
    apparently zachary levi (of tv's "chuck") is a comics fan

however, his favorite character is gambit and he loves rob liefeld so

DJ Eebs on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance is also the author to "The Umbrella Academy". He also is supposedly a big comic book fan (outside of his own).

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Bill Hader and Seth Rogen reportedly bonded while discussing their favorite comic books and movies, leading to Hader getting a role in Superbad.

Not sure about this particular anecdote, but Hader once interviewed Ed Brubaker about Criminal. Don't remember what website it was for, though; maybe CBR?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Bill Hader and Seth Rogen reportedly bonded while discussing their favorite comic books and movies, leading to Hader getting a role in Superbad.

Not sure about this particular anecdote, but Hader once interviewed Ed Brubaker about Criminal. Don't remember what website it was for, though; maybe CBR?

It's true - at this year's NYCC, Hader introduced Neil Gaiman. He said that he was reading Sandman when he got the job at SNL, and his discussing Sandman with Seth Rogen and someone else (don't remember, but I guess it'd have to be Evan Goldberg or something) led to the role in Superbad (they offered him the job based on his awesome taste in comics).

Delduwath on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    snip
    that is pretty much the best thing

Sars_Boy on
  • Rubber SledRubber Sled Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Delduwath wrote: »

It's true - at this year's NYCC, Hader introduced Neil Gaiman. He said that he was reading Sandman when he got the job at SNL, and his discussing Sandman with Seth Rogen and someone else (don't remember, but I guess it'd have to be Evan Goldberg or something) led to the role in Superbad (they offered him the job based on his awesome taste in comics).

Seth Meyers is the other SNL cast member who reads comics. There was an article about them in Wizard: The "Comics" Magazine a while back...

Rubber Sled on
    "You know chicks who will do a free striptease just for gettin' to go on a car ride?"
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

You mean the one I posted three hours before you did, only TWO FUCKING POSTS prior?

It was for MySpace Comic's "Criminal Week".

Crimsondude on