As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The All Encompassing X-Thread: OP's x-gene activated

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ben Reily is who Peter Parker should have turned into at the end of OMD.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I wanted to start reading some X-Men, So I figured I would start with the Grant Morrison Omnibus, but then I saw it was over 1,000 pages and cost $300.00. Yikes.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I wanted to start reading some X-Men, So I figured I would start with the Grant Morrison Omnibus, but then I saw it was over 1,000 pages and cost $300.00. Yikes.

Fear not, the Morrisson run is available now in three trade volumes, like so.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sweet. I figured it was a good starting point, am I right?

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is no good starting point for x-men, but it's better than most.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    There is no good starting point for x-men, but it's better than most.

xmen1.jpg

Best relaunch outside of Superman Man of Steel.

Morrison's run is a good story just on its own (since most of it has been reversed), it's very self contained.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    kill cyclops and turn him and jean grey into ghost detectives

That's your solution to everything!

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Making the X-Men be lead by Magneto again would be retarded IMO. It's been done already and for a franchise that tends to do similar things over and over again I would find that quite annoying. That being said, it will probably happen.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Of course it will be Magneto leading. Anything else wouldn't require a teaser image.

I mean, "BIG CHANGES HERE, CYCLOPS IS GONNA LEAD THE X-MEN"? Really?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What if.....the dream is what dies? Oooooohhhhh, how trippy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I for one will be pissed if they kill Cyke...they have slowly developed his character for years now to the point that he is one of the stronger leads in any team book, as opposed to the one note cardboard cut out he was when he started. To kill him now completely shoots all of that in the foot....of course this means that exactly what marvel will likely do.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    but see he will get to be a ghost detective if he dies hawkstone

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What would make him be a detective? Just being a ghost? He sees everything in red, he can't see colors to solve the case, gosh.

This is why Ralph is actually a detective ghost, not a ghost detective.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    you don't need to see color to be a detective, you racist

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You don't, but you would be a really bad detective then.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    that is patently untrue you silly goose

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Do you think people can just tap their head and go into Detective Mode? Like Batman?

Cyclops does that and he blows up the evidence.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Do you think people can just tap their head and go into Detective Mode? Like Batman?

Cyclops does that and he blows up the evidence.

i am pretty sure his portals to the laser dimension would be offline once he is no longer alive.

edit: I mean what, are they ghost portals to the ghost laser dimension in that case?

Langly on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well where else would lasers go when they die?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

this is such a good explanation that my brain just hemorrhaged.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    We're being bombarded with ghost eye lasers as we live our lives right now. This is how agoraphobia happens.

:^:

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They aren't lasers. They are beams of pure badassery from the badassery dimension. Only Cyclops is badass enough to access said dimension. Are you suggesting that death would remove his badassery? I would suggest that a good death woule make Cyke even more badass. Death for him could be a power boost.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    look you are leaving out the fact that his partner can read minds

all cyclops has to do is look smug

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cyclops is too much of a man to let Jean do all the work. He'd punch people in the face to get info so he could feel like he's taking his share of the workload. Prof X brought him up a good boy, see?

Solar on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys, Cyclops has the very important job of starting to say a clever one-liner, then putting on a second pair of red shades, finishing the quip, then cut to panel four with the YEEEAAHH thing and that's an issue.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if Magneto has found out he's dieing and that is why he's turned over a new leaf. He'll do all kinds of good and then die and become a martyr.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    no.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As far as I know Magneto and Scott have both "died" at least once [Mags has a bunch of death certificates wallpapering his bedroom no doubt]. Has Emma been declared dead yet?

Not that your average X-man won't die multiple times within a few short years but it might be a factor.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    She was shattered in diamond form, and Jean brought her back, fused all the pieces together.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    no.

Now I'm going to hope extra hard that it happens.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Emma's going to die, as part one of re-establishing the boring old statu quo when Jean makes her return.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. We need to think of what the worst possible story could be as that is what they will go with.

Therefore, Emma dies, Scott goes all distant and depressed over it and leaves the X-Men in Magneto's hands.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah. We need to think of what the worst possible story could be as that is what they will go with.

Therefore, Emma dies, Scott goes all distant and depressed over it and leaves the X-Men in Magneto's hands.

We have a winner. And it will be drawn by Greg Land, so we all lose.

I like what Fraction is just now doing with Scott (the last few Dodson issues), but they are setting it up to where it just all falls down around him and he'll just dig an even deeper hole of self-pity than where he was in the 90's. And then the book becomes Wolverine central again.

I remember reading from some creator or some review online, but it always stood out to me: in the original Claremont run, Cyclops was the main character, all the way until the Brood storyline, and that when Wolverine revealed Cyclops was infected by the Brood, that was a passing of the torch to it being Wolverine's book. And reading through the essential volumes, it really stands out as the turning point in the series.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I remember reading from some creator or some review online, but it always stood out to me: in the original Claremont run, Cyclops was the main character, all the way until the Brood storyline, and that when Wolverine revealed Cyclops was infected by the Brood, that was a passing of the torch to it being Wolverine's book. And reading through the essential volumes, it really stands out as the turning point in the series.

Huh.

I never really picked up on that, but now that I think back to those stories, I can see it. That's pretty cool.

And speaking of Cyclops - I quit reading X-Men books after The Twelve, which ended with Apocalypse stealing Cyclops' body. How did that get resolved?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

Huh.

I never really picked up on that, but now that I think back to those stories, I can see it. That's pretty cool.

And speaking of Cyclops - I quit reading X-Men books after The Twelve, which ended with Apocalypse stealing Cyclops' body. How did that get resolved?

It ended very very weird, that was when I just got back into comics, and I was all "Cyclops died? Whut?"

Basically, after the Twelve story, everything skipped ahead six months without much explanation. Claremont took over both Uncanny and X-Men, and Jean had somehow lost her telekenesis to Psylocke but gained her telepathy. So in the Search for Cyclops mini, Jean and Cable pull their minds together to find Cyclops, who is in the middle East fighting for control of his body. They find him, split Apocalypse's soul from the body, and Cable finally kills him with his spear that is made to kill Apocalypse (this is completely ignored when Peter Milligan brings back Apocalypse, he should have been dead dead). And then Cyclops showed up for the Eve of Destruction story and then it goes into Morrison's run.

And in typical Marvel fashion, Cyclops came back to the X-Men before The Search for Cyclops mini finished up (because it was delayed), so you have this Tom Cruise Mission Impossible Cyclops with a complete attitude shift and you're wondering "Did I miss something?"

Claremont's entire second run, which was only about 10 issues, was really really bad. He made a new type of character, the Neo, who were just bad. Alan Davis' run might have been shaky but it was a LOT better than Claremont's return.

And the variant cover to The Search for Cyclops #3 is one that I can't believe got published. Damn Cyke, you get that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

Huh.

It ended very very weird, that was when I just got back into comics, and I was all "Cyclops died? Whut?"

Basically, after the Twelve story, everything skipped ahead six months without much explanation. Claremont took over both Uncanny and X-Men, and Jean had somehow lost her telekenesis to Psylocke but gained her telepathy. So in the Search for Cyclops mini, Jean and Cable pull their minds together to find Cyclops, who is in the middle East fighting for control of his body. They find him, split Apocalypse's soul from the body, and Cable finally kills him with his spear that is made to kill Apocalypse (this is completely ignored when Peter Milligan brings back Apocalypse, he should have been dead dead). And then Cyclops showed up for the Eve of Destruction story and then it goes into Morrison's run.

And in typical Marvel fashion, Cyclops came back to the X-Men before The Search for Cyclops mini finished up (because it was delayed), so you have this Tom Cruise Mission Impossible Cyclops with a complete attitude shift and you're wondering "Did I miss something?"

Claremont's entire second run, which was only about 10 issues, was really really bad. He made a new type of character, the Neo, who were just bad. Alan Davis' run might have been shaky but it was a LOT better than Claremont's return.

And the variant cover to The Search for Cyclops #3 is one that I can't believe got published. Damn Cyke, you get that.

I never liked that cover because of Scotts eye area. WTF is up with that?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That was the way his eyes were because of Apocalypse. So it's actually a three way.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I like what Fraction is just now doing with Scott (the last few Dodson issues), but they are setting it up to where it just all falls down around him and he'll just dig an even deeper hole of self-pity than where he was in the 90's. And then the book becomes Wolverine central again.

This is exactly what's going to happen, isn't it? It is the worst thing, therefore they'll have to do it.

If they torpedo the Scott-Emma thing, I'd probably just drop the book. I think part of why their whole relationship helped get me re-engaged with the X-men titles is that they got together via Scott cheating on Jean. But, I mean, isn't that how things happen in life?

Jean was the well-established Magic True Love Comic Girlfriend and he ends up fooling around with the blonde co-worker; Jean dies yet again; he ends up with the gal from work and everyone is a little uncomfortable about the whole thing.

In a medium where 'Mature' usually means:

1. Boobs with nipples
    2. Decapitations
    3. One character is hooked on drugs in some generic way

it struck me as kind of bold to have a significant character get involved with the romantic interest in that way. It made it easier for me, as a reader, to respect that ingredient of the team's fiction. In a team super book, the social dynamics are such a big, soap operatic element that sets the ongoing groundwork while super villains come and go in the foreground.

desc on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    desc wrote: »

This is exactly what's going to happen, isn't it? It is the worst thing, therefore they'll have to do it.

If they torpedo the Scott-Emma thing, I'd probably just drop the book. I think part of why their whole relationship helped get me re-engaged with the X-men titles is that they got together via Scott cheating on Jean. But, I mean, isn't that how things happen in life?

Jean was the well-established Magic True Love Comic Girlfriend and he ends up fooling around with the blonde co-worker; Jean dies yet again; he ends up with the gal from work and everyone is a little uncomfortable about the whole thing.

In a medium where 'Mature' usually means:

1. Boobs with nipples
    2. Decapitations
    3. One character is hooked on drugs in some generic way

it struck me as kind of bold to have a significant character get involved with the romantic interest in that way. It made it easier for me, as a reader, to respect that ingredient of the team's fiction. In a team super book, the social dynamics are such a big, soap operatic element that sets the ongoing groundwork while super villains come and go in the foreground.

Scott-Emma is probably the best pairing in comics right now. Simply because Emma's a women with a personality. Which has magically reawakend Scott's long lost "GETTING SHIT DONE" personality.

Which has also caused Jean to actually develop a personality, from magic wish fufillment destiny girl to magical wish fufillment destiny girl who got dumped for an absolute bitch with plastic boobs who has the man who actually loved her all this time waiting in the wings.

It's some good soap opera level shit going down.

Transporter on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really if Jean comes back I want them to go the Logan route with her. Like everyone said Scott/Emma is too good a pairing and teasing Jean/Logan for so long needs something to evolve the situation.

Look at us, a bunch of 'shippers.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
This discussion has been closed.