As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: I <3 them so much

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So during SNL's opening sketch right now, they were doing the Sarah Palin / Katie Couric interview. At one point, Tina Fey's impersonation started to quote the real Sarah Palin verbatim, and almost no level of absurdity was lost.
    GOSLING'S RULES OF POLITICAL CAMPAIGNING, CONTINUED:

3524. Never crush a precinct captain under a Golden Tee cabinet.
    3525. Lifting up a lectern and breaking it over your head may look cool, but then you're standing in front of debris which can ruin the campaign appearance.
    3526. Never cancel on a late-night talk show host.
    3527. Never make a point about the Middle East by simulating a sandstorm.
    3528. Don't paint your penis in the colors of the Mexican flag and show it to Lou Dobbs.
    3529. If Saturday Night Live quotes you verbatim, you screwed up bad.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    So during SNL's opening sketch right now, they were doing the Sarah Palin / Katie Couric interview. At one point, Tina Fey's impersonation started to quote the real Sarah Palin verbatim, and almost no level of absurdity was lost.

3525. Lifting up a lectern and breaking it over your head may look cool, but then you're standing in front of debris which can ruin the campaign appearance.
    3528. Don't paint your penis in the colors of the Mexican flag and show it to Lou Dobbs.

3530. Don't put lipstick on a pig.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I would buy a book of Gosling's 3550 Rules of Political Campaigning.

And by buy I mean flip through in the store.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SNL has officially lost the funny.

This retroactive to March 2003.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SNL continues to have no idea how to make fun of Obama.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SlapdashSlapdash Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my point exactly. Its one thing if SNL pokes fun at you. Its another if you're writing your own material

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    SNL has officially lost the funny.

This retroactive to March 2003.

Hey, they had a good alternate ending to Of Mine and Men sketch last week. And the Fey Palin is amazing.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's not like it's fucking hard, you know? Someone hopelessly optimistic with a giant idiot-grin in the face of overwhelmingly horrible news about the economic collapse leading to the End Times would be funny.

Fred Armisen's dead eyes? Not funny.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Although the imitator was pretty good, especially imitating Obama's distinct speaking style and his slight head bob he does before he answers.

Rent on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

They soooooo want McCain to win so they can continue to do Palin.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been waiting for South Park to do a thing about the election for a while.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, last night's debate has got me seriously considering putting in some time volunteering for the Obama campaign. My schedule's pretty tight, though, in between trying to graduate, get into grad school, and a bunch of other extracirricular shit.
    I really suck at talking on the phone, though, and I live in KY, so canvassing is probably a waste of time. Not only this, but I'm not really centrally located - going into Indiana or Ohio is pretty much out of the question. I've thought about just walking over to the Obama campaign office in town and just asking if there's anything at all I can do, even if it's just something entirely menial, but I've never really done anything like this before, so I have no idea what I'd be walking into. I figured this would be as good a place to ask as any, so, any advice on how to get involved in a state that has little to no chance of flipping?

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

I hate to say it, but if I were NBC I'd seriously consider putting it on hiatus for two or three years and reboot it down the line with a whole new crew of writers.

This shit is just awful.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

They have the douche and turd episode... I kinda doubt they'll retread that ground.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    has this been posted yet? Op-ed, and most of us already know all of it, but still a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/28/opinion/28rich.html?hp
    WHAT we learned last week is that the man who always puts his “country first” will take the country down with him if that’s what it takes to get to the White House.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SlapdashSlapdash Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

:whistle:That's what Barak Obama'd do:whistle:

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

They have the douche and turd episode... I kinda doubt they'll retread that ground.

The thing is that they really can't.
    I mean, they can do a thing about one candidate being ridiculously more competent than the other and having everyone completely tied as to who they'd vote for, with douchebags saying that the great guy really isn't that great.
    But
    Well
    I think they'd be insulting most of their demographics.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Tina Fey is almost overdoing it she hates Palin so much. She wouldn't come back and they'd be fucked.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SNL's basically chosen its side. I don't think they'd piss off anyone they haven't already.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I hate to say it, but if I were NBC I'd seriously consider putting it on hiatus for two or three years and reboot it down the line with a whole new crew of writers.

This shit is just awful.

I won't disagree. It dates back to when they fired the entire cast and hired all new people. But even Will Ferrel is better than the shit they have now.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SNL's basically chosen its side. I don't think they'd piss off anyone they haven't already.

What side would that be? Unfunny?

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What side would that be? Unfunny?

Damn my cock-eating challenge. I have to watch this tripe. Since "John McCain" already showed up this episode it looks pretty good in my favor, though.

Rent on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah Tina Fey's imitation of the Couric interview of Palin was good, especially when she quoted verbatim. That was an excellent touch.

The debate sketch was terrible. Clearly rushed, the impression of Obama is terrible (Hammond is a master at imitations though, underrated IMO), and the things to make fun of Obama were clearly add-ons to try to achieve balance. They even screwed up the easy part - McCain's "timeout"/suspension. It could easily have been - and probably was - 99% written pre-debate.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah Tina Fey's imitation of the Couric interview of Palin was good, especially when she quoted verbatim. That was an excellent touch.

The debate sketch was terrible. Clearly rushed, the impression of Obama is terrible (Hammond is a master at imitations though, underrated IMO), and the things to make fun of Obama were clearly add-ons to try to achieve balance. They even screwed up the easy part - McCain's "timeout"/suspension. It could easily have been - and probably was - 99% written pre-debate.

SNL is funny when it's insightful. These days every sketch feels like it got pushed through a marketing filter to gain MAXIMUM AUDIENCE APPEAL!!! It just... sucks. It's terrible. There is no truth here. I'd almost rather watch Carlos Mencia than this bullshit.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited September 2008

SNL is funny when it's insightful. These days every sketch feels like it got pushed through a marketing filter to gain MAXIMUM AUDIENCE APPEAL!!! It just... sucks. It's terrible. There is no truth here. I'd almost rather watch Carlos Mencia than this bullshit.

The Bill Clinton lukewarm support of Obama sketch on weekend update for instance is much funnier

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The Bill Clinton lukewarm support of Obama sketch on weekend update for instance is much funnier

I will agree to this, that last line was a killer.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited September 2008

The line about Palin definitely made me LOL

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hey, you know what isn't humor? Saying the phrase "Just Kidding", SNL!
    Shut the fuck up, Judy Grimes. SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Rent on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked the "Hillary Clinton's reasons I should be president" sketch.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

SNL is funny when it's insightful. These days every sketch feels like it got pushed through a marketing filter to gain MAXIMUM AUDIENCE APPEAL!!! It just... sucks. It's terrible. There is no truth here. I'd almost rather watch CARLOS MENCIA than this bullshit.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not say anything we might regret.

If you type his name three times Comedy Central renews his contract.

Rust on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The line about Palin definitely made me LOL

Corn maze joke was pretty great.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    SNL is funny when it's insightful. These days every sketch feels like it got pushed through a marketing filter to gain MAXIMUM AUDIENCE APPEAL!!! It just... sucks. It's terrible. There is no truth here. I'd almost rather watch CARLOS MENCIA than this bullshit.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not say anything we might regret.

If you type his name three times Comedy Central renews his contract.

So that's how it keeps happening.

On an unrelated note, I drove 4 hours from OKC to Joplin, MO to knock on over 50 doors and do some database entry for the Obama people there. Yay for battleground states!

anable on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    This stripper club- economy bailout analogy skit idea is pretty awesome. Notice how I said idea, and not how it actually played out. Way to go, SNL, for missing one of the fundamentals of comedy- if you're parodying something, never mention what you're parodying unless you're lampshading it.

Rent on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    0927_bigmap.png

This map is beautiful.

So beautiful.

Speaker on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd like it more if MO had a blue hue.

moniker on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    0927_bigmap.png

This map is beautiful.

So beautiful.

It will be especially beautiful if all that White turns Blue, and all that light blue turns dark blue. And hell, let's go for broke- all that light red turns light blue...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It would seem we have an agreement on the bailout.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It would seem we have an agreement on the bailout.

Depending on the legislative language and if John McCain comes back to blow it up again.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    moniker wrote: »

If Florida, Indiana, North Carolina and Missouri all go for Obama I don't think there is anything else I could ask for.

I'm kind of sad Georgia isn't in the mix.

I like Georgia.

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

If Florida, Indiana, North Carolina and Missouri all go for Obama I don't think there is anything else I could ask for.

I'm kind of sad Georgia isn't in the mix.

I like Georgia.

You could always ask for a ham sandwich.

Whenever I need to close a deal I always throw in a ham sandwich.

EDIT: Do you like Georgia because when Obama won there handily we knew we had this thing in the bag?

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
This discussion has been closed.