As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: We don't have "Jessie's Girl" ...yet

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    ACK ERROR!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only Dredg song I ever heard was "Bug Eyes" or whatever it's called. It was on the Stealth soundtrack cd. But I ended up getting into Kasabian due to that cd and didn't have time for Dredg.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Why can I not link my RB profile to my Xbox account.

When I try hit the link account button, this is what I get:

wtf-1.png

That little white box, if I highlight the text and drag up and down, says the page is unavailable.

Morgan linked hers just fine this morning. What is wrong with me?

Edit: I get this Firefox and Chrome. In IE, it goes to a windows sign-in page that's not part of the rock band page in any way. I can enter my Windows Passport/Live thinger fine, but then i get page cannot be displayed when I hit login.

I fixed him, although for both of us, it is not showing our actual chars pics, we have some generic people who look nothing like us when when go to the merch booth. Any ideas? Xbox is connected to live 24/7 at the moment and I logged in on Monday?

Tried relinking the xbox profile and that didnt work either. /le sigh

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think the generic peoples are stand in's, and the actual characters are shown when the picture is submitted?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Rock Band is a solid game.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Show some lens flare on the guitar.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Show some lens flare on the guitar.

I knew I was forgetting something!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got an RMA question. I sent in my old strat with a broken strum bar a couple of weeks ago using the regular exchange (not express), and I still haven't received a new one. They did send me an email with a tracking number for the empty box that I shipped back to them after they received it, but not sure why? Anyone know how long it usually takes for the regular RMA process?

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    lightningrocksmallnew.jpg

This is muuuuch better.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I apologize for killing the thread with AWESOMENESS!

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I was just dicking around with the Merch Booth, and somehow ended up at

rockbandstore.com

Anyone see this? The most intreguing part is the "Build-A-Band" thing I see, where it says "Pick your game, instruments, tracks, accessories" almost like you can go in, click that you want the game, 1 guitar and a mic, and 30 of the DLC tracks all in one transaction. I already have what I need, but it seems pretty cool that it essentially is allowing you to build a bundle...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Words failed me.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

My eyes..... I am blinded ....dear god, someone .....

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey anyone got the link for how to get pics from the merch thing that aren't tiny with crappy compression?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey anyone got the link for how to get pics from the merch thing that aren't tiny with crappy compression?

All you have to do is pick a picture, click "Make Merch" and then check out the following URL, which will have the URL of the big-ass pic (3000x2000) included. Just make sure to rehost it! :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

All you have to do is pick a picture, click "Make Merch" and then check out the following URL, which will have the URL of the big-ass pic (3000x2000) included. Just make sure to rehost it! :)

Copied this from the RB forums post.
    Hello, while i do not have solution for the feet, I do have a solution for the size.

In firefox(though other browsers are just as easy):
    1.Go to the picture in question.
    2.RIGHT click on the make merch button.
    3.Copy the address location.
    4.Paste into a notepad document.
    5.You get something like this:
    LONG_HTML_ADDRESSE_THAT_ENDS_WITH_bandphoto=http://rockband.com/uploads/user-generated-content/somenumber/rendertron/pictureinquestion3000x2000.jpg

6.Take the address that follows bandphoto=. Paste it into an address bar and go to it. That should be big enough for ANYONE.
    In the last thread we had, somebody pointed out a way to get pictures of other peoples bands. But I didn't bother saving that. I'm sure somebody can help out if that is desired.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'll add that to the 2nd post about Merch.

Also, Raijin's picture makes me want to bring back the Photoshop Thread even though I don't have/can't use Photoshop.

EDIT: That can't sit on the bottom of the 2nd page...no no...
    lightningrocksmallnew.jpg

Just add one of the devil whores from the GH3 Lucifer stage and edit her so that she's clinging onto your leg.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thank ya all.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    "Today is the greatest..."

Also, I don't get the thread title.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Gonna play the field, keep it real
    For you know a way, for you know a way
    So if you don't break, just over compensate
    At least you know you can always go on Ricki Lake
    The world needs wannabees
    Hey, hey, do the brand new thing!

I had a discovery last when I sang that line. I thought he said something else that made no sense.

Arikado on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think when they had the Lazy Eye streak contest my max on expert was 150. I tuned it down to hard and got about 600 though.
    It's a decent enough song to me, but the strumming wears me out so I rarely play it.

I don't alt strum and I'm pretty sure my up strum is borked anyway. I'm left handed and play my real guitar left handed, but have always played GH/RB right handed due to GH1 not having a quick way to turn lefty flip on and off so it was a pain when playing with others so I learned to play righty for games.

Anyway I decided last week to give lefty a shot with my shiny RB2 strat. I noticed right away with lefty that about 1/2 the time I did a single downstrum (upstrum for rightys) it would register the strum as me holding down the strum bar and just cycle songs all the way to the bottom of the list. I flipped it back over and tested again upstrumming and sure enough it would happen. Not quite the 50% of the time as before, most likely due to gravity helping it recenter, but it would happen. I should probably RMA it as the red and yellow frets are also a little clacky (more so than my RB1 start), but everything else is solid with it so I'm not sure I want to chance it. Ugh.

Oh man.. alt strum is suuuch a huge help in this game. It's really nice when you see the odd triplet in a long line of slower strums to not have to suddenly spasam your arm and throw your whole rhythm off, and some of the really fast streaks just wouldn't be possible for me. I don't alt strum everything but anything above a certain comfort level I do.

Plus De Luxe is supremely satisfying when you figure out the alt strum pattern/rhythm for the whole song. It looks really complicated, but all the chord changes just flow along with the alt strumming so well.

EDIT: I'm surprised you had problems with the RB2 strat. You could try your GH guitars, if you still have 'em. I'd definitely RMA the RB2 Strat, most people have zero problems with them. It sounds like yours is actually under performing from average. Much more reliable than the RB1's.
    Oh definitely agree with you on the alt strumming goodness. I do so all the time with my real guitar using my left hand. It's just that I've never successfully trained my gimpy right hand to do anything other than downstrum like a maniac on speed. So I was going to just start playing both real and plastic guitars left handed so that I would already have the alt stumming skill as I should have done years ago with GH1 and then discovered that my strum bar was 1/2 busted.

I will try to remember to do the RMA tonight so I don't waste much more time playing right handed. It's going to feel so odd at first playing plastic guitars left handed, but it's for the best really. Plus then I'll be able to impress people with my ambidextrous plastic guitar playing. 8-)

Edit: Oh yeah the whammy bar and start/back button placement will be a bit of an adjustment when I swap to left handed as well since they will be very much out of place... crap.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    The only Dredg song I ever heard was "Bug Eyes" or whatever it's called. It was on the Stealth soundtrack cd. But I ended up getting into Kasabian due to that cd and didn't have time for Dredg.

Dredg is one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands to come out in the last decade. I can't recommend them highly enough. Their 1st album is pretty raw post punk, their 2nd album is an atmospheric concept album, and their 3rd album (the one with bug eyes) is a good combination of their 1st two, leaning a little more towards their 2nd. They're coming to Austin in a couple of weeks, and I can't wait to see 'em again.

/return to lurk mode.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Gonna play the field, keep it real
    For you know a way, for you know a way
    So if you don't break, just over compensate
    At least you know you can always go on Ricki Lake
    The world needs wannabees
    Hey, hey, do the brand new thing!

I had a discovery last when I sang that line. I thought he said something else that made no sense.

I never really listened to Offspring lyrics that closely. Maybe that's why I like "All I Want" so much.

That and Crazy Taxi.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think when they had the Lazy Eye streak contest my max on expert was 150. I tuned it down to hard and got about 600 though.
    It's a decent enough song to me, but the strumming wears me out so I rarely play it.

I don't alt strum and I'm pretty sure my up strum is borked anyway. I'm left handed and play my real guitar left handed, but have always played GH/RB right handed due to GH1 not having a quick way to turn lefty flip on and off so it was a pain when playing with others so I learned to play righty for games.

Anyway I decided last week to give lefty a shot with my shiny RB2 strat. I noticed right away with lefty that about 1/2 the time I did a single downstrum (upstrum for rightys) it would register the strum as me holding down the strum bar and just cycle songs all the way to the bottom of the list. I flipped it back over and tested again upstrumming and sure enough it would happen. Not quite the 50% of the time as before, most likely due to gravity helping it recenter, but it would happen. I should probably RMA it as the red and yellow frets are also a little clacky (more so than my RB1 start), but everything else is solid with it so I'm not sure I want to chance it. Ugh.

Oh man.. alt strum is suuuch a huge help in this game. It's really nice when you see the odd triplet in a long line of slower strums to not have to suddenly spasam your arm and throw your whole rhythm off, and some of the really fast streaks just wouldn't be possible for me. I don't alt strum everything but anything above a certain comfort level I do.

Plus De Luxe is supremely satisfying when you figure out the alt strum pattern/rhythm for the whole song. It looks really complicated, but all the chord changes just flow along with the alt strumming so well.

EDIT: I'm surprised you had problems with the RB2 strat. You could try your GH guitars, if you still have 'em. I'd definitely RMA the RB2 Strat, most people have zero problems with them. It sounds like yours is actually under performing from average. Much more reliable than the RB1's.
    Oh definitely agree with you on the alt strumming goodness. I do so all the time with my real guitar using my left hand. It's just that I've never successfully trained my gimpy right hand to do anything other than downstrum like a maniac on speed. So I was going to just start playing both real and plastic guitars left handed so that I would already have the alt stumming skill as I should have done years ago with GH1 and then discovered that my strum bar was 1/2 busted.

I will try to remember to do the RMA tonight so I don't waste much more time playing right handed. It's going to feel so odd at first playing plastic guitars left handed, but it's for the best really. Plus then I'll be able to impress people with my ambidextrous plastic guitar playing. 8-)

Edit: Oh yeah the whammy bar and start/back button placement will be a bit of an adjustment when I swap to left handed as well since they will be very much out of place... crap.

I know it's probably not a huge market, but I wonder why they don't make left-handed Strat controllers. Even if it was just a slight redesign and the righty was flipped Hendrix-style but the buttons and whammy was moved.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I know it's probably not a huge market, but I wonder why they don't make left-handed Strat controllers. Even if it was just a slight redesign and the righty was flipped Hendrix-style but the buttons and whammy was moved.
    It's the same reason why when I walk into Guitar Center I see the same 3-5 crappy left handed guitars that have been there forever and 200 or so right handed guitars that range from crap to fuck awesome. Lefty market is not profitable enough... Sucks, but I've been dealing with it all my life... just finding a lefty baseball glove that fit properly was hell back in my younger days, so it's across the board that leftys get the shit end of the stick.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Stop being so sinister, then...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    "Probably not a huge market" most likely is exactly the reason. Supposedly 10% of the population is left handed (though some recent studies are questioning if that's valid) and then you have fruitcakes like me who write and use scissors left handed but do a lot of shit right handed, and it's purely a numbers game. How much would it cost to manufacture a 2nd Strat model, vs estimated profit from the 10% of the previous and projected sales, who probably already own right handed guitars, may have been comfortably using them either right handed or flipped left, and would they justify the expense of a lefties guitar most likely none of their friends would want to use.... yeah... People don't make shit for lefties, we're used to it. Even finding lefty scissors is a giant pain in the ass.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My sister is a weirdo. She's lefty but plays righty for guitar and drums. On the plus side, she can do hammer ons far better than I could hope for. The down side is she has issues with fast alt-strum sections.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Stop being so sinister, then...
    That would take all the fun out of it.

Really I never use the back button or start even during songs so unless my arm just happens to rest on the buttons it won't be an issue. The whammy is the thing that will get me as normally I cup it in my strum hand slightly pushed in at all times so it's right there when I need it. This won't be possible left handed as the angle would be much different to get it below the strum bar to where it may not be possible to hold comfortably and it it's above it then I definitely would not be able to hold it at all times.

So I'll just have to get used to not holding it and reaching up when I need it. That will make whammying those shorter sustains a bit harder, but I'm generally not a score/gold start whore so it shouldn't be to big of a deal really. Just a slight annoyance.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Introducing 'Credits to the Force', the 70s supercop supergroup.
    Credits_252520To_252520The_252520Force-422x281_avatar_420.jpg

(left to right) Dutch Holland on vocals, Angry Chief on drums, Paddy McWagon on lead and Supa'fro on bass.

They turned in their badges and guns for ROCK!

Also, from the old thread, because it's just TOO AWESOME to not bring over here:
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drVfA0b86e0

Greatest performance of this song?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    My sister is a weirdo. She's lefty but plays righty for guitar and drums. On the plus side, she can do hammer ons far better than I could hope for. The down side is she has issues with fast alt-strum sections.

I'm in the same boat lefty/righty wise, but I think she's a smidge better on guitar than I am. I'm usually good, but have spotty runs on hammer ons. It depends if I can make myself wait or not. I still have bad HOPO habits from GH3. If I slow down and actually play them at speed, I'm ok.

I'm ok with fast alt strums, as long as the chord changes aren't rapid, and they aren't some random throw-an-extra-button-in shit like Pinball Wizard.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sounds like me. My right hand is shit for alt strumming. My left should be gold I just need to suck it up and play RB left handed, but then my right needs to be trained for the plastic guitar fretting distance which might mean dropping down to hard for a brief period.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, AngrySquirrel, how can you stand to play with the whammy bar in your palm? o_O

I have to keep that goddamn thing way from my hand, it annoys me to no end.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, AngrySquirrel, how can you stand to play with the whammy bar in your palm? o_O

I do that because I use the Xplorer, and if I don't hold onto the whammy bar it'll always be hanging down when I need it most.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I play the Strat with it in my palm as well, it fits quite well. I never did it with the GH guitars because it was so stubby but it works perfectly for me with the Strat.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Just the way I've played since GH1. I let it rest in the top of my palm/base of my fingers for the entire song when playing. I like not having to reach. I think it's because with my actual strat I've removed the whammy bar and just bend the strings with my fretting hand (right hand there) when playing it. So when I get to the game I just sorta set myself up the closest to the same setup were I don't have to reach with my strum hand (right hand there) to get some vibrato out of the notes, just move it in a semi similar fashion as with the real strat. If that makes any sense.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I used to keep the whammy bar in my palm but the RB2 whammy is too damn high up for that.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The unprofitability of the left-handed instrument market is probably more than a bit self reinforcing. I'm lefty and play all instruments (guitar, violin, viola, etc.) right handed. Because it's too fucking hard to find anywhere near the selection available to you as a right handed player. I'm assuming that I'm not some minority in this anecdote. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The unprofitability of the left-handed instrument market is probably more than a bit self reinforcing. I'm lefty and play all instruments (guitar, violin, viola, etc.) right handed. Because it's too fucking hard to find anywhere near the selection available to you as a right handed player. I'm assuming that I'm not some minority in this anecdote. :)

Just in life, Dehuaminzed. Just in life.

Re: Whammy Bar - Does it not cause you to miss notes if the whammy bar is pressed in when the notes are strummed? I seem to remember finding that to be the case, and thats why I can't be anywhere near it when I play. Fortunately even my xplorer's bar doesn't suffer from flaccidity and end up pointing floor-wards, so it's always right where I want it.. I just can't have it touching my hand when I play it screws me all up.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I play lefty guitar and righty drums. (Which makes switching lefty flip on and off depending on instrument somewhat annoying, mind...)

Is that odd? >_>

Also woooooo go Erandus, left handed people rule. (Even if we are considered 'sinister'. :lol:)

Hylianbunny on