As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No More Heroes 2

• Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got NMH2 off my pile of shame last week and the final rank battle had a major effect on me that I wanted to mention here. This is definitely something I wouldn't want spoiled for me, so don't read below unless you've already beaten the game.
    Normally I don't get too upset if a character dies in a game. I might get a bit choked up if it's an Aeris sort of situation but otherwise I'm fairly unmovable. But man, I was majorly upset when Batt Jr had the fake severed heads brought in. I was shocked, horrified, angry and sad when I thought that all the supporting characters were gone. I didn't realize how attached to them I had become over the course of two games! I was pissed that were dead but also seriously disturbed at how their heads were being used to taunt me. Naturally it was a big relief when it was revealed to be a trick. I really shared all of Travis' emotions in those moments. Hats off to Suda 51! His silly action game made me feel emotions that even the most dramatic games never could. Awesome stuff!

Now that I think about it, I was pretty damned mad too. Probably because I knew it isn't beyond Suda to pull something like that.

I wanted Travis to go nuts and slice that sunnofabitch into pieces.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I should have been more descriptive. The side slash definitely kills more dudes.

But at the end of the mission, No matter which one I use, the II or the III, I usually get around the same kills total. If the III is better, its not a great difference.

do you have the infinite battery upgrade?

makes a lot of difference

In my experience, the mark III hits more dudes, but it knocks a lot of them down, rather than killing them. The Mark II kills almost every guy it hits.

We've been over this. It's not the deathblows that make the MKIII great, it's the three-stage chainsaw of death low charged attack.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I beat the first game! Rank 1 was a pain in the ass. Real Ending was cake by comparison.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am on the rank 2 fight.
    On a roof, fighting against lightsaber scorpion woman. It is a fun fight, but she gets hung up in the corners, standing there doing that "I'll stand on my tail and shoot laser beams at you!" thing. I left her stand there doing that for five minutes. That happened probably three times out of the ... eight times I tried that fight.

Two times, she started shooting beams at Travis before I could move, and I couldn't get away from the beams. I could get him stood up, but she would shoot before I could roll.

I had her down to two dots once and three dots once when she got hung up in the corner.
    My dogs started freaking out at some guys working outside, so I called it a day.

Will try again tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Finally got around to buying this, its pretty awesome so far.

...Are the lyrics in the Bizarre Jelly game music sung by a Vocaloid?

edit: Oh god they are. Godamnit Suda I love you

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just beat the game. Two questions:

End spoilers
    1) What is it that Travis says when he opens his motel room door after Sylvia comes over?
    2) Where is that place that Sylvia narrates from? I feel like I'm missing something big.

Also, theres a big mirror in one of the stages and you dont cast a reflection.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still haven't bought this game, and it was the one game that I was most looking forward to!

Godfather on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    On a roof, fighting against lightsaber scorpion woman. It is a fun fight, but she gets hung up in the corners, standing there doing that "I'll stand on my tail and shoot laser beams at you!" thing. I left her stand there doing that for five minutes. That happened probably three times out of the ... eight times I tried that fight.

Two times, she started shooting beams at Travis before I could move, and I couldn't get away from the beams. I could get him stood up, but she would shoot before I could roll.

I had her down to two dots once and three dots once when she got hung up in the corner.
    My dogs started freaking out at some guys working outside, so I called it a day.

Will try again tomorrow.

Dunno if you've beat it yet, but the trick is...
    Move in close when she does that, rolling to avoid the thrown beam katanas. She'll drop down and try to stab you, if you can avoid that then you can slash her into tiny pieces, and she'll come down after doing that at most twice.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    I still haven't bought this game, and it was the one game that I was most looking forward to!

I've been waiting for this to drop in price a little before picking it up myself and I saw that its now $30 at Walmart. Looks like its only $30 at Best Buy now too.

Now I'm hoping that I may have some extra cash this next Sunday so that I can pick it up along with Super Mario Galaxy 2. If nothing else I will have to get this soon after now, damn it.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This game a bit of an odd beast in that it's quite functional on a gameplay level and, narratologically, it's far more complex, fun and interesting than most other video games (ever), BUT when you're done with it, you're done with it for good. It's a full meal, and like all full meals you tend to forget its particulars in the afterglow.

So let me say to everyone who's put NMH2 on the afterburner, possibly to be forgotten as newer and shinier things pop up: buy this game. You will not be disappointed. You may not remember the ebb and flow of every level or boss fight in a week's time, but the story will stand as a point of reference for style, comedy and originality for the rest of your gaming career - even if it's an unconscious comparison. As pretentious as it sounds, this game will tantalize and expand your palette in a way that few other gaming experiences will.

Edit: and unlike the first game in the series, NMH2 doesn't trip over itself quite so much in the execution.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The release dat for the PAL release seems to have gone back a week. And given the overall impression from all you people who've played it already, it doesnt seem like the worthy successor of the first game. So I've sorta lost interest during the wait for the European release.

Speaking of successors, Sin and Punishment 2 is so good I dont even feel like buying another game this year.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I honestly never even imagined that it still hadn't come out in Europe yet.

Gilder on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 are proof that including a pseudo-sandboxy overworld will make a game better, even if there's no logical reason that it should.

jothki on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

End spoilers
    1) What is it that Travis says when he opens his motel room door after Sylvia comes over?
    2) Where is that place that Sylvia narrates from? I feel like I'm missing something big.

Reading back in the thread will give better answers, BUT:
    1. I don't remember
    2. During the ending she runs off. I am sure there was more symbolism and meaning to what she was actually doing in there, but she was whoring herself in a pseudo peepshow/phone sex room. The story is her narrating it to the mysterious man who comes and visits her every day, she is there out of her own shame and guilt. It turns out that it was travis the whole time with her, and he takes her out of there and tells her it will be alright and he still loves her.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For what it's worth up here in Canada it seems that Walmart actually has this priced at 20$, even though it's marked 30$ in store. It's 20$ on the website. I successfully got Best Buy to price match against them, so I picked it up new for 17$ CDN. Not a bad deal.

Been enjoying it so far. I think they did a great job of removing a lot of the the toil and drudgery of the first game and focusing on a fun experience (regardless of how necessary that drudgery was to the point made by the first game).

Entriech on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

End spoilers

1)Downward F'ing Dog!

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    The release dat for the PAL release seems to have gone back a week. And given the overall impression from all you people who've played it already, it doesnt seem like the worthy successor of the first game. So I've sorta lost interest during the wait for the European release.

Speaking of successors, Sin and Punishment 2 is so good I dont even feel like buying another game this year.

Eh? Its definetely as good as the first game. The combat is much more fun, the money grind is severely lessened, and there are many more bosses that are just as great as the original (and you can choose to fight them again at any time)

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That is utterly false.

The bosses aren't quite as memorable, but literally everything else about the game is better than the first.

Also, have you seen this quick look yet?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

For fuck's sake. Delayed again? After the relative success of the first game for Rising Star, you'd think they'd have pulled their finger out for the sequel.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    1)Downward F'ing Dog!
    I dont even know what this is

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 are proof that including a pseudo-sandboxy overworld will make a game better, even if there's no logical reason that it should.

I'm not sure if it's is sarcasm or not, but I found this to be the opposite of true. Hated the overworld in NMH and loved every bit of streamlining put into NMH2.

Falstaff on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    1)Downward F'ing Dog!

Start the game over and watch the cutscene after you beat Skelter.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »

Will try again tomorrow.

Dunno if you've beat it yet, but the trick is...
    Move in close when she does that, rolling to avoid the thrown beam katanas. She'll drop down and try to stab you, if you can avoid that then you can slash her into tiny pieces, and she'll come down after doing that at most twice.

Whoa, thanks. Yeah, I grew extremely frustrated with that boss and never finished the game. And then I got a ps3 and some other games, and I haven't been back to nmh2 yet. I keep meaning to, but things happen. :?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1)Downward F'ing Dog!

Start the game over and watch the cutscene after you beat Skelter.

That won't really help unless he knows anything about that particular yoga position. Although it isn't too hard to imagine from the context.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now that I'm really having time to play through it, I feel like a lot of NMH2 combat is just ... less fun. :\

I'm getting sick of levels that are all ten foot tall enemies that take fifty attacks to kill, and I'm getting bored of bosses that have no strategy beyond "run up to them and hope that they don't decide to do an unblockable knockback attack while you're there with no warning"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Something about the game just sorta turned me off. I loved the first one, but I sorta just stalled with this one once I got to rank 8 or so. just post shinobu's part.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I had a really good time with it, combat feels better than 1, less wandering around an empty town... but I got stuck with one of the bosses and then other stuff distracted me.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, I thought the combat felt really good. It didn't really come together for me until Jeanne slimmed down and I had the dual katanas, but then I became a whirling death machine. Figuring out the right mix of running slashes, attack chains, beat attacks, heavy attacks, and throws to clear through the enormous hordes of enemies was really quite enjoyable.

The only thing I missed was the lack of the overworld, but I guess I'm one of the few who really enjoyed it from the first game.

Where NMH2 DOES fall down is the boss fights. Some of them are very, very good, and others are incredibly repetitive and boring. There's just no real overall challenge or consistency to them. The actual mook fighting is 10x better, though. I got a lot of enjoyment out of it this time around.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now that I'm really having time to play through it, I feel like a lot of NMH2 combat is just ... less fun. :\

I'm getting sick of levels that are all ten foot tall enemies that take fifty attacks to kill, and I'm getting bored of bosses that have no strategy beyond "run up to them and hope that they don't decide to do an unblockable knockback attack while you're there with no warning"

How to deal with those huge enemies in swarms:

1. Buy the 300K cost katana
    2. Use charge slashes
    3. Laugh as your ecstasy meter fills in ten seconds and you destroy them all.

I just got this game yesterday and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Travis: "I thought something like this might happen" *summons giant robot*
    Me: Holy crap this is the best game ever

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just realized, I never got any revenge missions or ever fought that boss with the double sided beam katana. Whats up with that?

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

How to deal with those huge enemies in swarms:

1. Buy the 300K cost katana
    2. Use charge slashes
    3. Laugh as your ecstasy meter fills in ten seconds and you destroy them all.

I just got this game yesterday and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Travis: "I thought something like this might happen" *summons giant robot*
    Me: Holy crap this is the best game ever

I miss swarms

Using the big club-katana just gets me killed, and it seems like each swing does 1-2 damage on that circle, which is just tiresome. I miss being able to chop people up with one combo!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    I just realized, I never got any revenge missions or ever fought that boss with the double sided beam katana. Whats up with that?

That is very, very weird. Were you playing on Mild? That miiight have something to do with it. They unlocked basically automatically for me, just got a fax about the first revenge mission and then did two per ranking battle until I was done 'em.

Similar situation with the Ranking Challenge(two-blade beam katana girl fight)

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am playing on Mild and I got both of those

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »
    gunwarrior wrote: »

That is very, very weird. Were you playing on Mild? That miiight have something to do with it. They unlocked basically automatically for me, just got a fax about the first revenge mission and then did two per ranking battle until I was done 'em.

Similar situation with the Ranking Challenge(two-blade beam katana girl fight)

Yeah, it was on mild, gotta go for bitter sometime

I never got any challenges or faxes. That boss is in the death match list so i can fight her out of the story but :?

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In order to fight Kimmy Howell, you have to leave your apartment and go back in to get the fax. If you never returned to your apartment between fights 25 - 10 or so then you won't see her.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Falstaff wrote: »
    This game a bit of an odd beast in that it's quite functional on a gameplay level and, narratologically, it's far more complex, fun and interesting than most other video games (ever), BUT when you're done with it, you're done with it for good. It's a full meal, and like all full meals you tend to forget its particulars in the afterglow.

So let me say to everyone who's put NMH2 on the afterburner, possibly to be forgotten as newer and shinier things pop up: buy this game. You will not be disappointed. You may not remember the ebb and flow of every level or boss fight in a week's time, but the story will stand as a point of reference for style, comedy and originality for the rest of your gaming career - even if it's an unconscious comparison. As pretentious as it sounds, this game will tantalize and expand your palette in a way that few other gaming experiences will.

Edit: and unlike the first game in the series, NMH2 doesn't trip over itself quite so much in the execution.

I really feel this way more about the first game.
    This game is fun but I honestly forgot every damn part of it since I beat it. Even now, as I try to think on it, all I can think of are moments and gameplay from the first one.
    While playing it I was hardly compelled to finish it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think it's because Suda lost some of that artsy charm the first game had. The first game had these layers of irony and trolling to them, but they were subtle. So you think back fondly and remember them and all the arguments they caused. This game was more in your face when it was trolling the player. I don't think Suda was really going for any kind of elaborate mega-troll with this game, it was just a parody and a normal sequel most of the time. NMH still has people wondering how much of a joke on gamers it actually was. Nobody is really thinking back on that kind of stuff that was present in NMH2, we all just kind of know what he was saying.

Also not knowing the names of your enemies before you killed them really made the game lose some of the drive for me. That's part of the whole "Not glorifying killing" thing, but I just felt it didn't make me want to keep going. That and I really missed the Mac voice program for their names.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DS is lacking content; grinding out an outfit you like and all the health/damage upgrades doesn't take very long.

Ninety percent of the bosses being too easy on normal didn't help matters; the game lacked the early intensity of the Shinobu fight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The rhythm to the Dark Side Dodge felt more "discrete" in the first NMH to me. Like, there was a traceable divide between when the attack landed, when you performed the dodge, and then the series of attacks that followed. NMH2's dodging feels more slippery, like it's not entirely in control and it all just mushes together. Can't put it any clearer than that.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think it's because Suda didn't direct the sequel. He had more of an executive producer role.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png