Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Finally found a combiner wars Optimus today. Nothing too fancy, but man is he a nice, bulky, blocky throwback Prime.

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    What! variant odin has his eye patch on the other side :/

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Hey, I know you dudes are mainly into fancy toys, but I thought I'd let you know that I walked into a 5 below yesterday, and they had the first wave of the Marvel Heromashers for $5 a piece.

I've been waiting to grab a few of these, and I picked up Cap and Dr. Doom. There are Star Wars Heromashers coming later in the year, so if you've wanted a Doom/Vader mashup, you may get your chance!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Against my better judgement, I ordered Figma Kancolle Nagato, so I'm holding off shipping my all my paid HLJ orders in the hopes that this figure is released by the 29th of January.

It'll probably be delayed a month like all Figmas, but until I see confirmation I'm holding my orders for now.

Also, I hope a third party releases an exactly copy of the MP-10 matrix for MP Ultra Magnus. Right now the only options are the 2 Cybertron Satellite Matrixs, but they're overpriced and aren't the right colour.

EDIT: Well since Figma Nagato has been delayed, I ended up shipping my paid orders. This is the first time I've used the private warehouse to combine shipping, so hopefully it ends up being as cheap as I predicted.

EDIT: Hooray! The combined shipping ended up costing the expected amount of AUD, despite being 100 yen more than I expected.

Now I must play the waiting game until my precious arrives. :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    My Soar showed up with a warped pin in one of the dino mode legs that prevents it from being clipped in place in robot mode, and now TFSource wants me to ship it back at my expense with the promise that they'll refund shipping costs if they're cheap enough. What marvelous bullshit this is.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Dang, Soar is too expensive a figure that they should be cheaping out like that.

• Options
    My Generations Arcee and Chromia apparently shipped from TFSource sometime this month. Would have been nice if they actually emailed me this information, rather than me having to check their website.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    Dang, Soar is too expensive a figure that they should be cheaping out like that.

Yup. Free shipping for $150+ orders from the vendor that always gets their stock in last and a rewards program that I never use aren't reason enough to stick with them if this is how they're going to handle it. If I don't see an RMA soon, about $700 in preorders are going elsewhere.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    My Figma Saber 2.0 arrived today and she is so much better than the original version. Unlike the original, the 2.0 has a normal looking torso. Plus the faces and possibility are perfect.

I'm hoping to also get the exclusive non-armored version somehow; either through a third party store or the GSM online store the moment orders become available. I've never used the GSC online store before, so hopefully I'm able to order her without any problems.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Currently watching people flush their money down the drain because someone on tfw2005 found an aliexpress seller trying to trick people into thinking they have Scorias for sale for like $40 or something.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Takara Combiner Wars Superion!

Must.

GET.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    What's the cost difference for you between getting a hasbro version and a takara version, in general?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm a bit biased because shipping from Japan is cheaper for me.

I paid 5,600 yen for Takara Leader Jetfire at HLJ. TFSource has the Hasbro version for $46.95 USD.

Before cancelling my order for the Hasbro version from TFSource, I paid $75.93 USD ($83.95 AUD at the time)including First-Class Mail International to Australia.

If I had the Takara version shipped by itself with EMS, it would have been 7640 yen, which is about $81 AUD

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, so you're almost certainly better off getting takara versions, especially since they tend to have better paint apps and such. Not too bad.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    It really is. I probably could have gotten the Takara versions of Arcee and Chromia cheaper, if I hadn't liked the Hasbro colours better.

EDIT: For those interested, TFW2005 is reporting the Slingshot and Wildrider are going to be released by Hasbro

I'm also super tempted to get Gold MP Bumble Bee, even though I already have the regular version. I need to stay strong though because I'm supposed to be cutting down figures this year, hence why I'm probably going pass on the Odin, Spider-man and Avengers Marvel Legends waves.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    TFSource finally sent an RMA for gimpy-legged Soar.

Meanwhile, got that Phantom edition Not-Mirage and now I want MP Ghost Starscream and just everything clear and purple ever.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Damn it all! I caved and preordered MP-21G Bumblebee G2 Ver.

Also why do I have the biggest sense of deja vu regarding this item?

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Hey neat, I found some of the Combiner Wars guys: Alpha Bravo, Firefly, Skydive, and Dragstrip

and at a Wal-Mart strangely enough

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    They still 15 at wal mart?

• Options
    All my orders arrived today

TFSource:
    Generations Chromia & Arcee

Combined HLJ orders:

Little Armory OP01: Tactical Glove (Coyote Tan) for figma
    Little Armory M82A2 Type
    Figma SAC Motoko
    Figma Chariot
    Takara Legends leader Jetfire
    Masterpiece 22 Ultra Magus

Chromia altmode is pretty much a mess, having lost the sleekness of the TF Prime: RID mold, as well as not being capable of fully hiding her legs. Her rear wheels also do not lock together properly. Her robot mode looks alright, but the backpack is a bit of an eyesore. You can fold up both parts of the butt armor to give her legs more freedom, but that makes her backpack even bulkier.

Arcee is a great figure with good possibility. Not a huge fan of the nice aunty face she has, but I can see Hasbro was trying to give us a more G1 appearance. My figure came with the extra plastic on the hand, preventing the guns from slotting in all the way, but I'm planning to cut them off so it won't be a problem afterwards. Just hope I don't screw it up and leave her fingerless.

The little armory gloves come with what appear to be a range of solid plastic pegs, rather than the articulated joints found in most new figmas. I haven't opened them up yet, so they could articulated, but from what I can see, as well of the range of different joints, I don't think each one can move at all.

The Little Armory M82A2 Type is a anti anti rifle (I think) kit for figmas. I really need to cut out all of these Little Armory guns and glue them together already so I can have my figma packing some heat :P

Motoko is a great representation of the Ghost in the Shell SAC anime, although instead of wearing her season 1 leotard, she now wear pants! Thank god because I always hated that thing. She has a great poseability, cool weapons, faces, alt hair piece, and an alternate boob piece to allow her to hold her pistol in a two handed pose. It's creepy, but definitely needed, but her standard boob piece is huge!

Chariot is an awesome representation of the BRS anime character and comes is a huge shield! A second stand is included to support it, although I broke the peg on mine and so I need to try and get a spare from HLJ. Posing with the shield is a lot easier than Figma Strength's giant arms because it's one solid piece, meaning it's not going to fall apart when your posing the figure.

Jetfire looks fantasic with the non-chromes accessories. I actually found the hasbro version at a local TRU last week and boy am I glad I didn't order that version, because the chrome just looked tacky. Anyway, the tip of Jetfire's nosecone was misaligned out of the box, so I had to unscrew it and put it in the right position. I had a bit of trouble at first trying to transform it to robot mode, but that's because the front of the jet and the rear section were locked in tight. I plan to cut up the MegaMoon Man filler pieces later this week to fill in the empty gaps.

MP Ultra Magnus is such a cool looking figure. He's big and heavy and looks like everything you would expect of the rightful successor to Optimus in the G1 movie (damn Hot Rod). Transforming him was fairly easy to be honest. I focused mainly on the cab first and then did the trailer. The only problem I had was trying to get the cab's wheels to fold out. Seriously, I though I was going to break them with the pressure I was putting on them. The crotch piece that folds over in cab mode locks in really tight and could eventually snap if you don't unlock it carefully. Making that piece diecast probably would have gotten rid of this issue. The shoulder articulation sadly sucks, and only lets the figure's arms move out a little bit, even when the second joint is pulled out. Also when the cab is unlocked from the trailer, there's a large gap at the rear where the wheels are located. I don't know how Takara could have covered this up, considering the wheels fold in in that area, but having something cover it up would have been nice. Lastly, Takara really should have included a matrix. He comes with matrix holding hands and a matrix chamber in his chest, but actual matrix. Hopefully a third party makes some cheap, good looking copies of the MP10 matrix, because I do not want to settle for the overpriced, alternated coloured Satellite matrixes on ebay.

And that's that for January. Hopefully I can cut down on the figures this year a bit.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    They still 15 at wal mart?

They are.

Also, I don't mind Jetfire's chromed out accessories

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Chromed toys annoy be because they're to fix the chrome comes off. I just rather not deal with them if I can.

Anyway, I just watched some reviews for the Odin wave of Marvel Legends and I'm very glad I decided to pass on it because overall it seems pretty meh.

Hawkeye has one arm longer than the other and doesn't come with individual arrows. Wanda has terrible, high heeled feet, which makes standing difficult. Captain Marvel has REALLY glossy shin, making her face look greasy. Iron Fist has a really thick neck and high shoulders/low arms. Odin's head looks too big. Thor looks alright, as do Sentry and Machine Man, but I don't really care for those two characters.

EDIT:

So I did the mods for my Arcee and Jetfire.

Arcee was pretty easy. The extra plastic on her hands was softer than I expected, letting me shave it off with little resistance. After playing around with the figure though, I really hate how there isn't a proper way to store the sword in her backpack. I also wish the butt kibble could detach and form a shield or something.

The filler parts by Mega Moon Man contain tiny sculpted details that are unfortunately lost in production. I honestly could tell whether some sides were the sculpted details or just a result of the 3d printing used. The details on the thigh parts were obvious and do look sort of nice, but the rest would have been better off as just being flat, although considering how they are made they 3d printing marks would probably be there in its place.

Regardless, the kit does its job at filling in the most obvious gaps (hands, forearms, biceps and thighs), and it also includes an addon to the area between the jetpack letting you equip the blaster there instead of underneath the nosecone. Speaking of which, there was also a tiny black part that was included to cover the blaster port underneath that location, so that's cool.

EDIT:

Also after transforming MP 22 back into Robot mode I've already noticed stress marks on the crotch piece. Getting that thing out of of it's locked in position really is extremely difficult because it requires a fair bit of force, and the long narrow piece is wedged between two other pieces. Takara really should have made this piece diecast or not lock in at all, because if users frequently transform this figure, this piece WILL break.

EDIT:

So it looks like Bandai are planning on eventually making an S.H. Figuarts of Ewan Mcgregor Obi Wan Kenobi, among others. I hope he comes with an alt head for his Revenge of the Sith appearance. Dat hair and bear combo. :)

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Next two Jaeger figures announced and available for preorder:
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12645&mode=retail

That's Horizon Brave and "Reactor Blast" Gipsy Danger.
    7lq1kpryestr.jpg

Just in case you need yet another busted up Gipsy in your collection.

Also, Baby Otachi
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=NEC12648&mode=retail
    xzb100ken4yr.jpg

see317 on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The NECA guys have a weird GD fixation, they're up to what, 5 versions for the 7" set now?

Looking forward to Horizon Brave though.

Not sure about baby Otachi.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Nobody wrote: »
    The NECA guys have a weird GD fixation, they're up to what, 5 versions for the 7" set now?

To be fair, there's not that many Jaegers that show up in the movie, even fewer that actually show up for more than 3 seconds, so it's either make up new jaegers based on names from supplementary materials, make alt versions of existing jaegers or stop making the toys. Clearly, option 3 is a terrible idea for people who want more giant robot toys, and with a sequel on the way option 1 seems like it'd be on hold until we're closer to that date (so the new jaegers could be based on those designs). So, that means alt versions.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing alt versions of other Jaegers. Maybe "Acid Blasted Cherno Alpha" or "Decapitated Crimson Typhoon"...

Edit: Also, according to NECA, series 5 (Romeo Blue and Snack Attack Gipsy Danger) are shipping to stores this week. So, keep an eye out in the coming days.

see317 on
  • Options
    Anybody have any experience with lighted stands/pedestals a la Bandai's Lightning stands? I'm kinda thinking about doing something fancy with my new Phantom, but I don't want to waste my time if they don't really do much.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Hmm. Doesn't look like HLJ will be able to give a replacement figma stand. I guess I could search ebay every once and a while. I wonder if my tamashii stands will fit.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    So my best friend out in San Diego, who is a toy collector but not a TF collector, sent me this picture asking me if this was a normal thing to find on the shelf at 7-11, because he thought it was odd.

image.jpg1_zpsowtczzxf.jpg

Of course I told him no, since there is no US release as of yet and I had no idea why they would have that figure there at that store. I asked the price, and he went back on his lunch break. They had them priced at 80 fucking dollars. 80 dollars. He ended up buying all four and throwing three up on EBay at $170 each to fund an XBone, and he sold the last one to me at a flat $80. He should be here Monday. Still have no idea how they ended up there.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

To be fair, there's not that many Jaegers that show up in the movie, even fewer that actually show up for more than 3 seconds, so it's either make up new jaegers based on names from supplementary materials, make alt versions of existing jaegers or stop making the toys. Clearly, option 3 is a terrible idea for people who want more giant robot toys, and with a sequel on the way option 1 seems like it'd be on hold until we're closer to that date (so the new jaegers could be based on those designs). So, that means alt versions.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing alt versions of other Jaegers. Maybe "Acid Blasted Cherno Alpha" or "Decapitated Crimson Typhoon"...

Edit: Also, according to NECA, series 5 (Romeo Blue and Snack Attack Gipsy Danger) are shipping to stores this week. So, keep an eye out in the coming days.

Checked out the TRU near my work on the way home, since TRU online was showing that Romeo Blue was "available" and not "pre-order"

Not in yet. Interestingly, none of the Combiner Wars stuff either.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »
    ALL OF THIS.

what

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I still don't know how it happened. I tried posting at TFW to give people in the area a heads up, but of course since I don't have a copy of his receipt and a notarized sworn statement, I'm a fucking liar.

cr0w on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    So my best friend out in San Diego, who is a toy collector but not a TF collector, sent me this picture asking me if this was a normal thing to find on the shelf at 7-11, because he thought it was odd.

image.jpg1_zpsowtczzxf.jpg

Of course I told him no, since there is no US release as of yet and I had no idea why they would have that figure there at that store. I asked the price, and he went back on his lunch break. They had them priced at 80 fucking dollars. 80 dollars. He ended up buying all four and throwing three up on EBay at $170 each to fund an XBone, and he sold the last one to me at a flat $80. He should be here Monday. Still have no idea how they ended up there.

was this in Kearny Mesa or the Convoy St. area?

(also any chance your friend still has one and is willing to part with it for $100? :biggrin: )

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    He said it was close to Third, but I'm in Houston so I have no idea about the area. He already sold the other three, unfortunately.

• Options
    So guess who gets to play the "how many times will your package go through your own town on the way to various distribution hubs because TFSource decided to send your replacement Soar via SmartPost" game?

9LvcvKz.gif

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I still don't know how it happened. I tried posting at TFW to give people in the area a heads up, but of course since I don't have a copy of his receipt and a notarized sworn statement, I'm a fucking liar.

Heh, finally came across your post in tfw. Looks like you ran into the traditional group of dicks that pop up in most threads there. At least there were a reasonable amount of people who did believe you.

Still pretty crazy. Awesome luck with that.

Schide on
  • Options
    Probably would have been better if you didn't mention this part because it not only makes you friend look like a dick for not only depriving other customers (maybe even parents) of buying the figure for cheap, it also means he is a god damn scalper.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Probably would have been better if you didn't mention this part because it not only makes you friend look like a dick for not only depriving other customers (maybe even parents) of buying the figure for cheap, it also means he is a god damn scalper.
    I don't agree; while it does deprive others of the opportunity to get the unit at that price, the price he gave ($170) is still lower than the $190 or so any other place I see online is setting. As for scalping, leaving aside whether that's a racially insensitive word, I think you're misconstruing what he did.

What's traditionally called scalping is when you buy up the available supply of something at the normal price, knowing that you can then get people to pay a significant premium over the price the manufacturer/distributor wanted to charge. The obvious example is buying tickets for a concert and selling them at a multiple of face-value. Here, he found a seller mistakenly selling the product for way, way too low a price (probably due to accidental ordering by the chain or something), and he took advantage. That's just arbitrage.

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Is figure customizing still a thing? That was always my favorite part of ToyFare as a kid. I know of Jin Saotome's site, but is there anywhere else, a forum, perhaps where folks post their custom work?

• Options
    I don't agree; while it does deprive others of the opportunity to get the unit at that price, the price he gave ($170) is still lower than the $190 or so any other place I see online is setting. As for scalping, leaving aside whether that's a racially insensitive word, I think you're misconstruing what he did.

What's traditionally called scalping is when you buy up the available supply of something at the normal price, knowing that you can then get people to pay a significant premium over the price the manufacturer/distributor wanted to charge. The obvious example is buying tickets for a concert and selling them at a multiple of face-value. Here, he found a seller mistakenly selling the product for way, way too low a price (probably due to accidental ordering by the chain or something), and he took advantage. That's just arbitrage.

I don't know how familiar you are with people talking about toy collecting, but you're dead on about the usage of the term scalping. It is ridiculously overused and misused on toy message boards, every single time someone is selling something that is above someone's arbitrary price that they think a thing should be selling for, they'll start up a cry about how the toy is being scapled, and all these dirty scalpers are ruining the hobby. It is really, really annoying.

And funny thing, the racially insensitive implications never seem to come up! :/
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Is figure customizing still a thing? That was always my favorite part of ToyFare as a kid. I know of Jin Saotome's site, but is there anywhere else, a forum, perhaps where folks post their custom work?

There's always the Radicons section of TFW. Also the customs section of Toyark for non-TF customs. I'm sure there other forums for customs because it's pretty big right now.

Also, finally realized there was a 15$ off code for HTS "15off" so I ordered the first wave of Combiner Wars stuff, since I still haven't seen anything locally.

This discussion has been closed.