As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old thread. Lock me!

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Three. Unless you live an hour past PST, which I guess would be somewhere in the ocean.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying my copy of Fallout 3 a full three hours before any of you dirty west coasters can.

freakish light on
  • Options
    AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know when Steam will start pre-loading?

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Screw you, East Coast. Real men wait an extra four hours.

Hah, whatever. REAL men wait till Friday for the Australian release date.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    If I don't preorder the Limited Edition kit, will I be able to walk into a store on Tuesday and pick it up? If not, I'll probably pay for Release Day shipping from Amazon.com. There are a Best Buy and a Gamestop within walking distance of work, sooooo....

We recieved them last week, they're just street dated for the 28th. So yeah, the game will definitely be there.

I am just wondering if the stores will have any left. It seems like a triple-A title, but

Gamestop can be hit or miss, but try Wal Marts, Meijers (or similar supermarket, Meijer is only in a few states), Targets, FYEs, even give Sears a try in a pinch. I've usually had no trouble finding tripple A titles on launch day, even if Gamestop is a lost cause.

Well, aside from Spore, which the local Gamestop didn't get for a week after launch, even for pre-orders, and some stores still have never had on the shelves.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Demitri OmniDemitri Omni Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If I don't preorder the Limited Edition kit, will I be able to walk into a store on Tuesday and pick it up? If not, I'll probably pay for Release Day shipping from Amazon.com. There are a Best Buy and a Gamestop within walking distance of work, sooooo....

We recieved them last week, they're just street dated for the 28th. So yeah, the game will definitely be there.

I am just wondering if the stores will have any left. It seems like a triple-A title, but

Go pre-order one. Yes, it's a marketing thing to guarantee repeat customers, but it DOES make it so you can get one. I don't know how many CEs we've gotten at our store, but for big ones like that we usually only get the preorder amount plus about maybe one or two.

EDIT: We usually get our preorder copies plus maybe one or two extra on the day of release with most titles, and a second shipment the day after. It can vary a lot when the street date is seperate from the ship date, so I can't say much about when they might get a second shipment of this. Keep in mind we rarely to never get additional shipments of CEs.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    HazukiSan wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    It wouldnt suprise me of the oblivion construction set could be used for fallout with some modifications. bet fans will have it running long before bethesda

My conspiracy hat tells me they will never release mod tools after they saw how many idiots bought horse armor

My conspiracy hat is pink and has a feather sticking out of it.

Mine has a satellite dish made of glued together popsicle sticks

No tin foil? Amateurs.

Tin foil is so cliche, they'll have figured out a way of working around tin foil by now!

That's what they want you to think!

Seriously though, anyone have this on PC yet?

Maybe not after idiots bought horse armor

but maybe they will after they saw how many nude/naked/sex mods there were. I bet bethesda is full of perverts.

Rule #34 is one of the founding tenants of the universe at this point, right next to entropy - Mod tools need not be present.

Why do people shop at Gamestop anyway? If a drug kingpin just got back from a trip running a child sex slave ring in taiwan because the taiwanese couldn't tolerate his cannabilism, and he opened a game store, it would be a less evil establishment.

Also he works for the RIAA.

override367 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are Wal-Mart and Best Buy any better? Not to mention they don't carry anything except the latest and greatest AA and AAA titles.

I mean, yeah, it seems sooo evil but what's the alternative? Paying $5 in shipping for every older game you want to play? Not everything is on Goozex.

freakish light on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    I buy new games at Gamestop if there's no alternative. The Wal-Mart I work at is TERRIBLE about getting new product on the shelves (trying to transfer into that department), so the Gamestop that within walking distance is an attractive alternative.

Otherwise, it's Goozex or Steam.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm calling it right now, there will be 5 Total Conversion projects announced this week, and no TCs will ever be completed. In fact, only the XP Cap Removal mod and the Weapons With Poor Texturing mod will make it to beta.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One more day... Prolly gonna download this puppy off of steam.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm calling it right now, there will be 5 Total Conversion projects announced this week, and no TCs will ever be completed. In fact, only the XP Cap Removal mod and the Weapons With Poor Texturing mod will make it to beta.

Ohh man, the sad part is I agree.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Should I go 360 or PC? Will Fallout 3 pull another oblivion and be horribly broken on the PC? Can anyone reassure it won't be...? Anyone...?

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lurk wrote: »
    Should I go 360 or PC? Will Fallout 3 pull another oblivion and be horribly broken on the PC? Can anyone reassure it won't be...? Anyone...?

Get it for PC

We can mod! And its cheaper!

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm getting the LE for the 360. Gamestop left me a message that I can pick it up tomorrow at midnight, but I think I'll just get it after class on Tuesday.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Why do people shop at Gamestop anyway? If a drug kingpin just got back from a trip running a child sex slave ring in taiwan because the taiwanese couldn't tolerate his cannabilism, and he opened a game store, it would be a less evil establishment.

I work for GameStop, and I can safely say that they are much less evil than you think, and are instead retarded by a similar degree.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I usually don't mind Gamestop, but yesterday one of the employees was telling someone that in the Call of Duty beta you can blow up walls and make holes to shoot out of. You can't.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, I've left myself relatively in the dark about this game since I've heard about it, and I've never played the previous games.

I know that classes don't exist in Fallout, but what are the general play styles you can go as in this game? For instance, in Oblivion you essentially went down the stealth/ranged build, the melee build, or the magic build and went from there. I know Fallout has guns..... but thats about all I know about it.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, I've left myself relatively in the dark about this game since I've heard about it, and I've never played the previous games.

I know that classes don't exist in Fallout, but what are the general play styles you can go as in this game? For instance, in Oblivion you essentially went down the stealth/ranged build, the melee build, or the magic build and went from there. I know Fallout has guns..... but thats about all I know about it.

They'll probably have some 'classes' constructed, just a few pieces of statistical framework people can build characters from.

Also I will be a master of unarmed fighting who is also a hacker and I will be calling myself a Techno Monk.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hrm, I probally didn't phrase that right. What I basically want to know is what kind of shit you can specialize into.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hrm, I probally didn't phrase that right. What I basically want to know is what kind of shit you can specialize into.

Your skills (Small guns, Big guns, Hacking, Repair, Science, etc.) will be based on your statistics (S.P.E.C.I.A.L.) similarly to Morrowind/Oblivion, but I don't think there will be a Melee/Magic/Stealth-esque category system. Check the Steam manual that was posted a page or two back, though, I might be wrong.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

I have a badass PC... but I've grown fond of just kicking back and playing a game on a controller.

I keep hearing about the mod community, but were the mods for Oblivion really that substantial?

Lingxor on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lingxor wrote: »
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

I have a badass PC... but I've grown fond of just kicking back and playing a game on a controller.

I keep hearing about the mod community, but were the mods for Oblivion really that substantial?

Oblivion had a lot of problems, and thus a lot to fix. They seem to have learned from a number of those large mistakes, and have corrected them for Fallout 3. For instance, there are companions, no horrid level scaling, a better level-up system, and there appears to be a lot of loot (one of my beefs with Oblivion was a lack of variety). Oblivion's locations were often dry and if you visited one cave or ruin, you visited them all. That doesn't appear to be the case with Fallout 3, either. Personally, there's no mod off the top of my head, from what I've seen of Fallout 3, that I'd really need.

I have that same choice, and people here seem to be telling everyone to go for PC, but just go with what seems more enjoyable for you. I want to play it on my incredibly comfy couch without getting carpal tunnel and on my large screen television. And no, hooking my PC up to my computer is not an option. There's no word if we'll even get a construction set like we did for Morrowind and Oblivion, so there's no telling how many or how good or game changing any of the mods would/will be.

You could always get the game for PC later down the road, when it's cheaper, if any real worthwhile mods come out. Right now, there's no way to tell if that will happen.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes. There was a massive mod community for oblivion.

There will be many mods for FO3.

If NMA get thier way they will make it isometic, turn based and super buggy :P maybe then it will be fallouty enough.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

Couldn't you buy a wireless adapter for the PC and use the X-Box 360 controller with the PC version?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    There will be many mods for FO3.

Perhaps. However, the question is, as I said above, how worthwhile will they be? How worthwhile will they be without the mod tools? We might see a lot of re-skinning and a mod that removes cars from exploding, if that's possible without the construction set. Oblivion, I think, is somewhat of a bad example because of how many design decisions bugged a lot of people. From everything I've seen, they've done away with what bugged me.

The problems I had with Oblivion that I wanted modded were essentially three things - level scaling, lack of variety in location, lack of variety in loot. That terrible level scaling system is gone in Fallout 3. Locations and dungeons look far more interesting and varied from what we've seen from footage, and previews mention a ridiculous amount of things to grab and find. You can make your own weapons from said loot. I also liked the companion mods for Oblivion, but Fallout 3 already has those, and I think they'll be more than just pretty cat women with no dialog (I did like that cat woman, though; I gave her leopard bikinis!).

The other mods weren't as game changing as those - better textures or more clothes to put on my cat girl or some clocks or traveling salesmen. There were plenty of mods, but most of them changed things in less important ways than the ones I listed in the above paragraph. So I don't think people should entirely worry about getting the 360 version over the PC version. Hell, like I did with Oblivion, I'll probably own the game twice anyways. :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

Couldn't you buy a wireless adapter for the PC and use the X-Box 360 controller with the PC version?

Well... controller + couch + achievements

Lingxor on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

The manual for the PC version of Fallout 3 says it supports the use of a 360 controller. It has the button layout pictured and everything.

And yes, mods for Oblivion were amazing.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The best thing about the Oblivion (and Morrowind) mod community was that just about everything people complained about in the game, there were mods to fix. You could download a dozen mods just to fine tune the gameplay to your preference before you got into actually adding or changing any content.

Hevach on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lurk wrote: »

Wait, you're saying Oblivion was better on consoles?

o_O

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

Well... controller + couch + achievements

PC will be getting achievements as well, it's a Games for Windows Live title.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

Oblivion had a lot of problems, and thus a lot to fix. They seem to have learned from a number of those large mistakes, and have corrected them for Fallout 3. For instance, there are companions, no horrid level scaling, a better level-up system, and there appears to be a lot of loot (one of my beefs with Oblivion was a lack of variety). Oblivion's locations were often dry and if you visited one cave or ruin, you visited them all. That doesn't appear to be the case with Fallout 3, either. Personally, there's no mod off the top of my head, from what I've seen of Fallout 3, that I'd really need.

I have that same choice, and people here seem to be telling everyone to go for PC, but just go with what seems more enjoyable for you. I want to play it on my incredibly comfy couch without getting carpal tunnel and on my large screen television. And no, hooking my PC up to my computer is not an option. There's no word if we'll even get a construction set like we did for Morrowind and Oblivion, so there's no telling how many or how good or game changing any of the mods would/will be.

You could always get the game for PC later down the road, when it's cheaper, if any real worthwhile mods come out. Right now, there's no way to tell if that will happen.
    I would almost bet my cock that there will be a construction set for Fallout 3 either officially or unofficially. You should never underestimate the power of people wanting to see naked boobies and the ability to look like Cloud Strife.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

I would almost bet my cock that there will be a construction set for Fallout 3 either officially or unofficially. You should never underestimate the power of people wanting to see naked boobies and the ability to look like Cloud Strife.

Oh god.

Oh god no.

Demitri Omni on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

People still do this?! FF7 is over ten years old now, I have to believe the retarded teenage-modder crowd is probably focused on something else more in their age range by now.

Justin Timberlake and Tom Cruise and...blast! Who the devil do teenagers like these days? Morgan Freeman....

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

People still do this?! FF7 is over ten years old now, I have to believe the retarded teenage-modder crowd is probably focused on something else more in their age range by now.

Justin Timberlake and Tom Cruise and...blast! Who the devil do teenagers like these days? Morgan Freeman....
    My mods...
    let me show you them!

1147639826_fullres.jpg

177761ss.jpg

18349-4-1215726066.JPG

Honestly I could do this all day.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrgg. PC or 360?

Yeah, I don't know how their statement that the mod kit won't be available at launch has transformed into there never being any modding for it Evar!!1! Oblivion didn't have a mod kit right when it released either, and the original fallouts didn't have one at all, and yet mods were still done

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haha. Epic.

I respect your hustle, man. But I have to say - those are terrible, each in new and terrifying ways.

And I wouldn't have it any other way :P

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wow, I'm looking through the perk's, and they are pretty awesome and funny.

Mysterious Stranger is something I will HAVE to get.

Edit: And Contract killer. OMGAWESOME.

Edit 2: Aww, wtf... I figured they would have some targeting for melee attacks too.... I mean, its pretty obvious that you can hit a guy in different locations with your huge ass power fist, they will likely die no matter where you hit them, but I would like the option to take off their head, shatter their ribcage, or maybe destroy their balls. Seems reasonable.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah fuck I knew those minimum reqs would be exaggerated.

Oh well, FO3 at 640X480 with 10 FPS for me!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Edit 2: Aww, wtf... I figured they would have some targeting for melee attacks too.... I mean, its pretty obvious that you can hit a guy in different locations with your huge ass power fist, they will likely die no matter where you hit them, but I would like the option to take off their head, shatter their ribcage, or maybe destroy their balls. Seems reasonable.

They do. Or at least, I'm pretty sure they do. You have to have a certain level in the melee skill to do it though.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Neva wrote: »

They do. Or at least, I'm pretty sure they do. You have to have a certain level in the melee skill to do it though.

No, they don't. They decided it was too unbalanced or something. You still do shit like pop someone's head off, but you can't specifically aim for it.

Vincent Grayson on