As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old thread. Lock me!

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    So according to my gamestop, this is in stock today, they're breaking street date.

A whole 12 hours. How edgy.

Regardless, I still hate you and all of your kind.

freakish light on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

Oh, he is definitely getting VATSed...all over the place, if at all possible.
    You'd need a sniper rifle just to get within range of his dick. His head is a target reserved for gunslinging avian.

While not quite that severe, the first fight with one of them is fucking terrifying

I'm kinda curious about this whole "Large Enemies" thing that seems to be going on. Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War, that one Earth Patrol game or something; all of them seem to have these Building Size Enemies. I know it didn't start because of Shadow of the Colossus, but they do seem more prevalent than before.

Well, I mean, what's NOT cool about taking down something the size of a downtown building? I think it's become more prevalent because we now have the graphics and game technology to properly model fights with gigantic creatures. Not just graphically, but with proper physics and gameplay.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    So according to my gamestop, this is in stock today, they're breaking street date.

They've had it in stock for a while. It's being released tonight at midnight. See if they are having a Midnight release party.

Unless you mean they are selling them Right NOW.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So does that mean this game requires the disc while playing it?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just when you start it up.

ed: Or you're using Steam, obviously.

freakish light on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh wait I just got a robocall telling me Fallout is what I ordered.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KungFu wrote: »
    So does that mean this game requires the disc while playing it?

For about the five minutes until someone releases a crack for it, yes.

Well, unless you're talking about the 360 version, in which case I think that may also be the case, but they haven't made any concrete statements on DRM for the 360. :P

There's also the Steam version.

subedii on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh just use a sling and a rock.

My name isn't David, screw that.

And that is why you will never be king.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

You'd need a sniper rifle just to get within range of his dick. His head is a target reserved for gunslinging avian.

While not quite that severe, the first fight with one of them is fucking terrifying

I'm kinda curious about this whole "Large Enemies" thing that seems to be going on. Resistance 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War, that one Earth Patrol game or something; all of them seem to have these Building Size Enemies. I know it didn't start because of Shadow of the Colossus, but they do seem more prevalent than before.

Well, I mean, what's NOT cool about taking down something the size of a downtown building? I think it's become more prevalent because we now have the graphics and game technology to properly model fights with gigantic creatures. Not just graphically, but with proper physics and gameplay.

Note: I have not played any of the above games. So, how they handle these events, I can't say.

Okay, that stated, are these fights actual fights? Or are they a series of discrete events where, through the course of a period of time, you interact with them in specific ways to take them down. God Of War 2 - The Colossus. You didn't duel with that MFer, you shot him with ballistas then ran inside him, tearing him up.

I don't know how Resistance or any of the others handle it, but I suspect it's similar.

The fights in HL2 versus the Striders remain a Large Enemy battle that I can point to and say "That was an actual battle." I'm sure that I'm missing others and I hope that Fallout 3 is like this in letting you really fight them.

I'm just curious as to why all of these developers seemed to push so many at a time. Maybe it's just a coincidence...and the mentioned graphic capability mentioned above.

But yes, taking on something HUGE is a real boost to the ego when you bring it down.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Oh wait I just got a robocall telling me Fallout is what I ordered.

That just reminded me of

ERR-OR
    ERR-OR

I can't wait for this game. Probably gonna be an extra week or two before it's out here though. :(

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was going to get the box version since I figure it might be easier to mod than the Steam version might be (I dont really know anything about how mod-able the files are under Steam) but now I may as well just get it over Steam so I don't have to bother with discs.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh just use a sling and a rock.

My name isn't David, screw that.

And that is why you will never be king.

iamyourking1xr.gif

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It looks like the Steam FO3 won't unlock until noon CST tomorrow, which I can live with. But just to double check - it does pre-load it right away right? So I would not have to start downloading tomorrow?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was going to get the box version since I figure it might be easier to mod than the Steam version might be (I dont really know anything about how mod-able the files are under Steam) but now I may as well just get it over Steam so I don't have to bother with discs.

Actually, Steam is very mod-friendly. It's just like a full install of the game, except instead of installing to Program Files it installs to /Steam/steamapps/common/Fallout 3 (or whatever). Other than that, it's all the same files and directory structure.

Plus, if it's anything like Oblivion, you should just be able to load modules straight into the game from the interface.
    It looks like the Steam FO3 won't unlock until noon CST tomorrow, which I can live with. But just to double check - it does pre-load it right away right? So I would not have to start downloading tomorrow?

ed: You have to download the whole thing after it unlocks. There's no preloading.

freakish light on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I found the size thing.

024-025.jpg

Holy shit! How many people would that thing have to eat to get the biomass needed to grow so fast? And how many babies a day does it eat to live?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Super mutant...behemoth?

W...what?

Yeah, I saw that too.

Note: I have not played any of the above games. So, how they handle these events, I can't say.

Okay, that stated, are these fights actual fights? Or are they a series of discrete events where, through the course of a period of time, you interact with them in specific ways to take them down. God Of War 2 - The Colossus. You didn't duel with that MFer, you shot him with ballistas then ran inside him, tearing him up.

I don't know how Resistance or any of the others handle it, but I suspect it's similar.

The fights in HL2 versus the Striders remain a Large Enemy battle that I can point to and say "That was an actual battle." I'm sure that I'm missing others and I hope that Fallout 3 is like this in letting you really fight them.

I'm just curious as to why all of these developers seemed to push so many at a time. Maybe it's just a coincidence...and the mentioned graphic capability mentioned above.

But yes, taking on something HUGE is a real boost to the ego when you bring it down.

Bethesda said they didn't put anything giant in Oblivion/Morrowind because of the combat system. I guess they couldn't think of a way to have to fight a giant with a sword and have it look cool with their engine.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My store got the guide.

SO BIG.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Actually, Steam is very mod-friendly. It's just like a full install of the game, except instead of installing to Program Files it installs to /Steam/steamapps/common/Fallout 3 (or whatever). Other than that, it's all the same files and directory structure.

Plus, if it's anything like Oblivion, you should just be able to load modules straight into the game from the interface.

ed: You have to download the whole thing after it unlocks. There's no preloading.

Ouch. I love me some Steam, but waiting until launch day just to begin downloading the game is kind of a deal breaker. Noisy DVD-ROM drive for me I guess.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Bethesda said they didn't put anything giant in Oblivion/Morrowind because of the combat system. I guess they couldn't think of a way to have to fight a giant with a sword and have it look cool with their engine.

527522738_872dd46fd0.jpg

Mehrunes Dagon would like a word with you.

But no, you didn't actually fight him. Unless you were retarded.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or you wanted to be The Guy.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It does raise an interesting question. How does VATS work on one of those dudes if you have a super sledge? Can you specifically target their pinky toe?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, they've said you can't target specific body parts in melee with VATS, so I guess you'd just end up with a 100% chance to smash them in the ankle or something.

ed: Oh, that'd be a great fight. You'd have to bring him down to your level by smashing him in the lower body parts while he keeps falling down. Like the final fight in the PA game, come to think of it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, they've said you can't target specific body parts in melee with VATS, so I guess you'd just end up with a 100% chance to smash them in the ankle or something.

I just watched a video on youtube of a guy with a power fist targeting a head.

He then knocked the head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqfYd0RP2O0#t=0m45

edit: click the youtube link, I deeplinked it to the 45sec mark so you could skip the beginning.

edit: I stand corrected, he did not target a specific part.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I just watched a video on youtube of a guy with a power fist targeting a head.

He then knocked the head off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqfYd0RP2O0#t=0m45

edit: click the youtube link, I deeplinked it to the 45sec mark so you could skip the beginning.

See how the whole body flashes green? He didn't specifically target the head, but he hit him in the head anyway.

ed: wait, I see a little "head" bar. Maybe he didn't target it, but that's where it ended up hitting?

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah, I stand corrected.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are Gamestops having a midnight release, or is that just a Best Buy thing?

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

ed: Oh, that'd be a great fight. You'd have to bring him down to your level by smashing him in the lower body parts while he keeps falling down. Like the final fight in the PA game, come to think of it.

It would be funnier if it worked the other way, too. Nuclear man-eating chiggers!

You wouldn't even be able to see them, but you'd hear the "psssshhhht" of the VATS (yeah, still stuck on FO1&2) and then they'd start gnawing at your shins.

If the mod tools ever get released, I will make this and subsequently be recognized as the most annoying modder ever.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yall wrote: »
    Are Gamestops having a midnight release, or is that just a Best Buy thing?

A lot of them are. I refer you to the OP in this matter.

freakish light on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah, I stand corrected.

It's a high level perk, the head targeting.

EDIT NM, I was thinking of paralyzing palm.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    TrumbotTrumbot DJ On the one.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When I first saw the Fatboy gun, I thought that it would be overkill and take down anything you would come across in one shot.

After seeing the Super Mutant Behemoth, I am not so sure. It might just make him rub his eyes a bit.

Trumbot on
    10aeb40c239e9f62.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think this might be the Behemoth around the 1min 20sec mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MV62Qqvc4

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was completely panicked this morning when I saw a gob of money charged to my credit card. Turns out it was Amazon finally charging me for my FO3 preorder, which they only do when they ship out product. Looks like the release day deliveries are preparing to go out!

This will be an agonizing 24 hours.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It would be awesome if the standard super mutants were huge like that

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If it is, that's kind of depressing. One Fatman nuke to the chest and he's down.

Maybe it's just a regular super-mutant?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dare I say it? Those super behemoths... they might be giants.

freakish light on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    best totp page? i think so.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    ahaha, that was totally accidental, though it is a great totp. Too bad you miserable bastards with custom posts per page will never know.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, it was bigger than the other super mutants they were fighting.

Also, I just realized that in the first released gameplay trailer (the one that starts off as a infomercial for Vaults then goes into a musical montage of death) also appears to have the player fighting a behemoth.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I guess I also can't forget that this is a role-playing game, and they've likely enhanced the player abilities in order to make it look more exciting.

Maybe a speech-oriented character would have had a tougher time with him.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't see high CHA helping much with a creature that's as big as a three story building and has the mental capabilities of a pile of bricks.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D