Options

My First [chat]

• Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    oh god i can hear the music from that snoopy stage. . .countless times spent playing it over and over and over and over hoping to one day vault that damn river. No one can.

snoopyqv1.png

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm making some pizza.

Would anybody like some pizza?

Am I too late for the pizza and also what is on the pizza?

It's cold now and it wasn't that good. It was frozen pizza.

But yeah there's two slices left if you want it.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I played UT3, which was pretty, and had sweet cool vehicle hotness, but why would you take out both Assault and Bombing Run? What did we do to deserve that kind of treatment? Why, Epic, why you gotta hurt us so bad?

When I was going to SAIT, we got UT2K3 working on our godawful laptops and played Bombing Run in class all the time. So much fun.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)
    That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x
    Conformist.

I'll conform YOU!

*hug*

Stabbing right then would have been conformist.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Res wrote: »
    oh god i can hear the music from that snoopy stage. . .countless times spent playing it over and over and over and over hoping to one day vault that damn river. No one can.

my.php?image=snoopyqv1.png

There's a video on youtube of some dude doing it.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I don't get why controllers have so many buttons. At most with PC games I'm using like, 7 buttons. WASD, Ctrl, space and LMouse.

Bull shit.

Or you play some really simple PC games.

With PC games you are using left and right mouse, and the wheel, wasd, probably e and r, crtl, maybe shift and alt and x and maybe 1 2 3 and 4.

What in the fuck PC games do you have that require a wheel, 1234, r, shirt and alt? Who the fuck uses alt? I can't remember any game ever where I had to use alt. Alt is the fucking red-headed stepchild of pc buttons.

Tav on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't get why controllers have so many buttons. At most with PC games I'm using like, 7 buttons. WASD, Ctrl, space and LMouse.

Bull shit.

With PC games you are using left and right mouse, and the wheel, wasd, probably e and r, crtl, maybe shift and alt and x and maybe 1 2 3 and 4.

What in the fuck PC games do you have that require a wheel, 1234, r, shirt and alt? Who the fuck uses alt? I can't remember any game ever where I had to use alt. Alt is the fucking red-headed stepchild of pc buttons.

I use alt, but I'm a lefty and use the arrow keys. Alt, control, shift, enter, \, delete, end, pgdwn, and 0, 1, 2, and 4 on the numpad are my main keys to map stuff to.

yalborap on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    if you don't play with an inverted y axis i don't know what's wrong with you

but something is very wrong

you pull back on the stick to go up, dammit.

this man knows what's what
    For serious, this is vital.

More agreement.

LaOs on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

Would anyone want to break out Unreal Tournament again? Maybe get some PA games going?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I prefer non-inverted if I am like a person, but inverted if I am in something like a plane or a mech.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)
    That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x
    Conformist.

That seems a little silly and a lot overcomplicated. I had played "flight" sims for years before playing my first 3D FPS, and all those games had inverted y-axes. It's just what I first acclimated myself to, so it's what I prefer. My best friend is the exact opposite.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I got a question for you guys. If you received a device that has a screen, and on this screen there is a sticker that says Remove before using what would you do? Try to use it without removing the sticker and then wonder why it wasn't fucking working the way it should?

No...I would remove the sticker.

Like all intelligent beings.

Just making sure that I wasn't the only logical one in the world.

As some of you may know, I work at the "help desk" for my company and deal with idiots all day long. This woman called in wondering why her safeword device (little thing that gives you a "passcode" on a small screen so you can connect to our network remotely) wasn't doing anything when she hit the button. I asked her what was coming up on the screen. And she goes... "What screen?" I ask if she removed the sticker, and she asks, "What sticker?" At this point I know this woman is an idiot and say, just like this, "The sticker on the screen that says in red letters Remove before using." She then comes up with this brilliant response, "Oh, I didn't know I had to remove that in order to use it."

I think I died on the inside.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bull shit.

Total Annihilation back in the day. Though SupCom simplified the keyboard layout a little bit.

If it's good enough for the best RTS ever made it's good enough for the likes of you damnit.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it is seriously colder than a witch's tit in this room

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bull shit.

Do you ever switch weaps, homie? Or use items/open doors? Or duck? And rather than jump with space, like a normal non-terrorist real heterosexual capitalist American, some people use Alt.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

this is very true but there are weird variations

for example, in third person games i prefer standard camera

underwater or while flying, i prefer inverted.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Bull shit.

Pretty much every freeware game from THE DAYS BEFORE INTERNET used Alt.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Someone earlier was talking about how it seemed strange to have the option to reverse the X axis controls. I was in FPS mode then so I didn't think about it much, but with a third person camera it's really very useful.

I would love this option, especially for third person games. I remember trying to play two games on and off (I can't remember what, but they were both third person, one of them may have been a PoP game) and dying a lot because one had the x-axis moving the camera (stick left, camera pans left) and the other had the x-axis turning the character (stick left, camera pans right).

japan on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys I'm making some pizza.

Would anybody like some pizza?

Am I too late for the pizza and also what is on the pizza?

It's cold now and it wasn't that good. It was frozen pizza.

But yeah there's two slices left if you want it.

That's cool, just FedEx it over.

Also people that use an inverted y-axis in anything except maybe flying or piloting some variety of mecha are headfucked. Fucked in the head.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

Would anyone want to break out Unreal Tournament again? Maybe get some PA games going?

I never owned UT and I've since sworn off pirating games. I still have 2K3 somewhere in my stacks of cds that I never look at anymore and would probably get into some of that.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For shooters I used the mouse, arrow keys, r-ctrl for crouch, r-shift for jump. All in one hand.

For old DOS games I did arrow keys, l-ctrl for jump, l-alt for shoot.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Witches are mammals too (hence the tits), so I really don't see how this is usefully descriptive.

Bama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I know exactly whats up punkassed bitch donkey rapers

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

ITT Senj pays the bills by whoring himself out to the Devi's babysitter.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think I got 2k3 with my video card. Maybe it was 2k4.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

I never owned UT and I've since sworn off pirating games. I still have 2K3 somewhere in my stacks of cds that I never look at anymore and would probably get into some of that.

I'm a bit busy with MDK2 and soon, Citizen Kabuto, the awesomest game ever for reals.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Witches are mammals too (hence the tits), so I really don't see how this is usefully descriptive.

I don't see how your face is usefully descriptive

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I’m huddled in my comforter.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bull shit.

What games do you have that require so little?

When I played Mech2 years ago, that thing required like the whole keyboard.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I always said it would be a cold day in hell before it came to this, and I was right.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if you don't play with an inverted y axis i don't know what's wrong with you

but something is very wrong

you pull back on the stick to go up, dammit.

this man knows what's what

I know I'm probably a weird for this, but, if I am in a vehicle? Yes, yes, a hundred times yes.

If I am on foot? Nooooo!! Up is up you bastards.

This make games where I cant set vehicle and on foot controls separately very hard for me.

I like inverted for when I'm controlling a character, but I need it regular if I'm in an aiming mode or controlling something that is not my character.

The Force Unleashed was a good example of this. I want inverted for controlling the character, but then I want normal for moving objects with force grip.

(But it doesn't allow this, so I have tons of trouble positioning objects with force grip)

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't see how your face is usefully descriptive

I think it can be described as durr hurr hurr.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

Would anyone want to break out Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular again?

snoopyqv1.png

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm all dressed classy and shivering

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

I'm a bit busy with MDK2 and soon, Citizen Kabuto, the awesomest game ever for reals.

Fuck yes Alecthar, you are a classy mo'fo.

Tav on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Conformist.

That seems a little silly and a lot overcomplicated. I had played "flight" sims for years before playing my first 3D FPS, and all those games had inverted y-axes. It's just what I first acclimated myself to, so it's what I prefer. My best friend is the exact opposite.

The article dealt with that as well. It basically asked the question "why do you think original aircraft designers felt back was up and forward was down?"

It all has to do with the way we view the world around us.

Which leads to weird things, especially in games with different types of perspective like EM's example.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I always said it would be a cold day in hell before it came to this, and I was right.

Worst wet t-shirt contest ever.

But still pretty cool.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

motorboating the frozen peas, are we

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm all dressed classy and shivering

The air conditioning is on here at work.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stick a model airplane on top of a joystick. Move the joystick. What does the plane do?

Bama on
This discussion has been closed.