Options

My First [chat]

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really don't understand the application of probability to describing reality.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let's see, controls for one of the fps I play.

wasd for basic movement. Q and E for lean, R for reload. Space for jump. F for use. Crtl to toggle crouch. Shift for sprint. Alt for walk. X for prone. Z for clear jam. Left mouse for shoot, right mouse for iron sight. C for deploy tripod. Uh, haven't played this game in a while... I think G might do something too.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

probably because you are dumb

see how it works now?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    it is seriously colder than a witch's tit in this room

motorboating the frozen peas, are we

that reference earns you 5 schrute bucks

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)
    That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x
    Conformist.

That seems a little silly and a lot overcomplicated. I had played "flight" sims for years before playing my first 3D FPS, and all those games had inverted y-axes. It's just what I first acclimated myself to, so it's what I prefer. My best friend is the exact opposite.

The article dealt with that as well. It basically asked the question "why do you think original aircraft designers felt back was up and forward was down?"

It all has to do with the way we view the world around us.

Which leads to weird things, especially in games with different types of perspective like EM's example.

I forcefully reject the assertion that the first aeronautical engineers took into account whether or not their pilots felt comfortable at cocktail parties when they designed the first flight control systems.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The chances of you saying this were pretty high.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

probably because you are dumb

see how it works now?

I knew there was a good chance I'd walk into that one.

OH SH-

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mrflippy wrote: »
    it is seriously colder than a witch's tit in this room
    I’m huddled in my comforter.

I'm all dressed classy and shivering

The air conditioning is on here at work.

same here

except it really really shouldn't be

and I'm sitting beside a monstrous space-heater of a workstation

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    RES STOP HAUNTING ME.

Would anyone want to break out Unreal Tournament again? Maybe get some PA games going?

I never owned UT and I've since sworn off pirating games. I still have 2K3 somewhere in my stacks of cds that I never look at anymore and would probably get into some of that.

I'm a bit busy with MDK2 and soon, Citizen Kabuto, the awesomest game ever for reals.

Fuck yes Alecthar, you are a classy mo'fo.

I never played MDK2, but I loved Citizen Kabuto....until I was playing the chick. Then I got bored. But I loved the British dudes ("The name's Baz!").

That Good Old Games site has me slobbering for some classic Descent, though...

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh I think G let you swap out barrels for fresh ones on machineguns.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    page 92. . .i feel as though i am finally beginning to crack

all i can think of is that cold fateful descent into the water

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    if i don't like monster squad i will be irked with the internets for talking it up.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No but seriously would you dudes consider playing UT again? It's like 5 bucks and i'm sure we could get some sort of server or something set up.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Weather forecasts are all about probability.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was actually reading something about a study done around people's preferences for an inverted y-axis or not. It has to do with how you view yourself in relation to the character on the screen, and where you feel the "point of control" is. People who were introverts tended to prefer inverted, because they felt the point of control was behind the screen (behind the character's head) and people who were extroverts tended to prefer regular because they felt the point of control was in front of the screen (in front of the character's eyes)
    That is crazy and god dammit why do I keep fitting into little psychological study-boxes :x
    Conformist.

That seems a little silly and a lot overcomplicated. I had played "flight" sims for years before playing my first 3D FPS, and all those games had inverted y-axes. It's just what I first acclimated myself to, so it's what I prefer. My best friend is the exact opposite.

The article dealt with that as well. It basically asked the question "why do you think original aircraft designers felt back was up and forward was down?"

Which leads to weird things, especially in games with different types of perspective like EM's example.

I forcefully reject the assertion that the first aeronautical engineers took into account whether or not their pilots felt comfortable at cocktail parties when they designed the first flight control systems.

I bet you were the guy standing in the corner with the shirley temple. That's why you're so bitter.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No but seriously would you dudes consider playing UT again? It's like 5 bucks and i'm sure we could get some sort of server or something set up.

I can't play UT again because I've never played it a first time.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Conformist.

it's not that they took it into account, it's that they assumed pulling back means going up when they designed it, and they made that assumption based on a weird point of reference thing.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Conformist.

Original aircraft designers built their flight yokes that way because there was a physical wire connecting the stick control surfaces.

No one was thinking about user experience. They just had to built it that way to make the pulleys work.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

hahaha, what game is that?

Because most US standard issue machine guns wreck the shit out of their barrels.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Conformist.

I bet you were the guy standing in the corner with the shirley temple. That's why you're so bitter.

No I was the guy plowing all the pilots' wives. Because man pilots are such a bunch of risk-averse, demure, awkward pussies.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it's not that they took it into account, it's that they assumed pulling back means going up when they designed it, and they made that assumption based on a weird point of reference thing.
    Bama wrote:
    Stick a model airplane on top of a joystick. Move the joystick. What does the plane do?

Bama on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    God, MDK 2 was so awesome. Then I got stuck on like level three or something and I gave up.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    James wrote: »

Because most US standard issue machine guns wreck the shit out of their barrels.

It was Red Orchestra. A really great WWII FPS that no one really plays anymore. It was mainly an issue for the MG42 which had the potential to overheat if you pumped too many rounds through it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I burned my hand on an overheated gun barrel once. It was seriously D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

God I hate guns.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Original aircraft designers built their flight yokes that way because there was a physical wire connecting the stick control surfaces.

No one was thinking about user experience. They just had to built it that way to make the pulleys work.

Riemann are you also the son or grandson of an engineer?

If so Hi5.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm not going to fix your mistakes for you but I am more than willing to give you a chance at redemption.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i am going to find this god damn article and you crusty cunts are going to read it and be all "wow that was really interesting, i'm sorry for being such a crusty cunt"

"also gooey you are awesome"

gee guys, thanks

"you're welcome"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It was Red Orchestra. A really great WWII FPS that no one really plays anymore. It was mainly an issue for the MG42 which had the potential to overheat if you pumped too many rounds through it.

Yeah, that sounds exactly the same as your normal run-o-the-mill FPS.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Going down to go up makes sense though.

But i'm used to the other way.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    UT gave me my AIM screen name. Holy shit is it hard to get a unique AIM handle.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm not going to fix your mistakes for you but I am more than willing to give you a chance at redemption.

I'm not a "PC gamer" guy. I'm a "console gamer" guy. The first FPS I've ever invested any time in was Halo. The first multiplayer FPS I've ever invested any time in is Team Fortress 2, which I would be playing right now if I wasn't gracing you peasants with my regal presence.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Riemann are you also the son or grandson of an engineer?

If so Hi5.

Not an engineer exactly no. Know a few.

Dad was in construction. Now does consulting and project management for large projects. His dad (who I never met, he was like 50 when my dad was born and my dad was in his mid 30s for me) was at various times a cattle rancher, thief, murderer (well, depends on how you view self defense) and later a union organizer and lawnmower repair man.

We just have a strong tradition of mad science in our family. You ain't a man till you've blown up or burnt down at least one carport or shed. Preferably by accident.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »

240reefamasta69folyf

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

240reefamasta69folyf

teefs?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

I'm not a "PC gamer" guy. I'm a "console gamer" guy. The first FPS I've ever invested any time in was Halo. The first multiplayer FPS I've ever invested any time in is Team Fortress 2, which I would be playing right now if I wasn't gracing you peasants with my regal presence.

I have The Orange Box on the 360 but I've never played TF2 because I've never really bothered with Xbox Live. Is it any good?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

240reefamasta69folyf

you forgot "xXx"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So how's it goin', [chat]?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Man, I have never heard of an FPS where you have to change your barrels. Totally run-o-the-mill.

James on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    TF2 on the 360 is like playing "just the tip"

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Is it fun trying to talk about a game you know nothing about?

The game basically has no UI, no cross hair, etc. It doesn't use a cone fire system. Every bullets flight path is realistically modeled, including bounces. When you try to change direction it takes your current inertia into account which more or less prevents constant sudden direction changes to dodge shots. A very realistic damage system. A realistic penetration system for tanks that takes into account the momentum of the round when it hits the tank and at what angle relative to the armor.

Oh, actually, right click actually would operate the bolt on a bolt action rifle. That way after you shot you weren't forced to watch the bolting animation if you didn't want to like in most games. Also, a very good and realistic artillery bombardment system. Objective based game play with a limited number of spawns.

Yeah, sounds like every other FPS ever. Idiot.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.