As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Slash, we could get this file size way down, you know.

Heheh, perhaps. I'm not sure what exactly my options are, given how GF2 works. GF2 likes to incorporate everything into a single file.

Although, it may be capable of loading external files. I'll look into it. But not tonight! :D

I thought you were using Games Factory 1 and that's why you couldn't use OGG or MP3 in the first place.

Well what I mean was I"m using the first release of GF2. They added OGG or MP3 or some kind of support in an update to GF2 (I think, but am unsure). The problem is I started coding in the original retail release. Filesize never even crossed my mind until much later. Then I realized that, potentially, GF2 later updates might support ogg or mp3 or something. So I told my GF2 to update to the latest version, and it did. But one of the 'fixes' messed up my dragon code pretty badly, so I had to revert back to the original retail release of the software.

However, I can look into GF2's features for loading external files, it might be able to load external stuff, I'll have to look into it, but not for at least a few days. :P

slash000 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If we get to a point where we can do MP3 stuff or OGG(I'll see about encoding the music that way.. I'd be surprised if I can't...) as optional add-on pack drop me a line and it'll be easy as all hell to update the music to sound less Midi-ish.

Though of course for now, celebration! I'm also done with all gigs for two weeks and then I've been cast as a lead in a show that I didn't actually audition for.

Khavall on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just finished downloading. I won't be able to check it out until I get to my Windows box tomorrow, but that's one more seeder!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man, this game is awesome! I just finished Quest 1 on medium. I want to try taking a crack at Quest 2.

Seriously, excellent, excellent job. I love it.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
    edited April 2009
    :^: I'm glad you're liking it so far :)

I also want to point something out to everyone that plays --

Under the Bonus section, there's a thing called "Best Times." If you go to that, the game will track all of your best Completion times for each Quest, at each difficulty. It will track the ones you've completed and not completed, and it will also give you a Star rating based on your speed (Bronze, Silver, Gold). Just a little extra challenge to take on if you start getting really good at this game.

There are of course a few other unlockable bonus items to do as well, which will unlock as you complete the various Quests.

slash000 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice. Just beat Quest 2.

Given that fucking bat, is there any practical difference between Quest 2 and Quest 3?

jothki on
    edited April 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Nice. Just beat Quest 2.

Given that fucking bat, is there any practical difference between Quest 2 and Quest 3?

Slash'll get it right if I don't, but in Quest 3 the item locations are basically randomized.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Nice. Just beat Quest 2.

Slash'll get it right if I don't, but in Quest 3 the item locations are basically randomized.

In Quest 2 the items are basically randomized as well once you play for long enough.

Actually, the chalice was at its original location when I found it. Does the bat not mess with areas that you haven't seen yet?

jothki on
    edited April 2009
    Nice. Just beat Quest 2.

Yes, indeed, Quest 2's item locations are always the same, but in Quest 3, the item locations are randomized.

Does the bat remove a 'practical' difference? Well, not quite, because the bat can't move everything immediately, so you're guaranteed to have a general idea of where stuff is initially in Quest 2.

Quest 3 feels pretty different from Quest 2 in general though, just by virtue of completely moving everything to a totally new spot each time you play. The best part is coming into a new room only to be immediately ambushed by a Dragon!

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    Nice. Just beat Quest 2.

In Quest 2 the items are basically randomized as well once you play for long enough.

Actually, the chalice was at its original location when I found it. Does the bat not mess with areas that you haven't seen yet?

The bat will mess with items that you haven't seen yet sometimes, yes. And even on rare occasion you'll happen across the bat while he's carrying something from another area.

Remember, the bat can't mess with things if you've grabbed ahold of him. 'Course, if you're holding the bat, you're limited to having with you what Items the bat wants :P

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    I played a game where the bat stole the sword and put it right behind a dragon that was camping the entrance to the area with the sword.

Stupid bat.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    OK, I'm going to sleep everyone. If anyone still needs to download, Halkun's site and the FileQube site will work just fine, in case the torrent gets slow/not enough seeders.

And don't forget while playing, you can press 'R' to reset yourself if you get stuck (but it respawns the dragons too, heheh)

slash000 on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was just coming in here to ask you how to reset myself. I've been using the bridge + magnet as a magic carpet. It takes a gentle touch, but you can soar over the whole map. But slip off in a wall or in the water and you're toast.

One possible bug. I started the game the first time and the music was so quiet that I couldn't hear it over the ambient sound. I started the game and two MIDI tracks and two ambient sound tracks were playing at the same time. I restarted the game and it fixed.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apparently you can pick up the bridge.
    It's very lulzy
    And game breaking, since you can place it in an area that makes it inaccessible to be picked up again
    Adventurelulzy.jpg
    Is this an intended feature or a bug?

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    Fairly sure that's intended, though there is a "Classic bridge" option that changes it to the original bridge mechanic, which worked differently(though I don't know how)

All I can really speak with authority about is the score, but I'm fairly sure picking up the bridge is intended. In fact it says something about it on the page:
    The Bridge can be placed easily like other items; although a Classic Bridge option is available for this particular item in the options, allowing you to place and move the bridge just like the Original game.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Not only can you move the bridge, generally you must move it to complete anything other than quest 1 easy.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, never mind then

Rent on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recommend classic bridge mode... It's more true to the original mechanic. Also I can also answer questions about the game too.

halkun on
    edited April 2009
    The level music seems to keep playing over the "You are dead" music.
    The victory music gets cut off on my system (it doesn't finish playing before the screen goes black and stops it).
    I'm on a Macbook Pro, playing the game via VMWare Fusion. I'll boot into Windows later to see if the issues persist.

Edit: So it doesn't seem like all I do is post problems, I am playing through the game and very much enjoying it. The sound, music, and graphics are all great. The game mechanics are a great blend of modern top-down adventure games and the original.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Make a note of what kind of system you are running. Right now, slash has the code and he'll be looking into fixing up the more horrific of bugs (hopefully)

[EDIT]
    Oh HEY! The game even gives you the "whirlwind tour" when you are dead! (The bat picks up a dragon while you are in his stomach) The bat picks up everything, including dragons, especially when you are eaten by one. The game is still running, the dragons don't move anymore, but the bat sure gets around. This was in the original game too!)

What's kind of missing is the ability to "wiggle around" inside the tummy of the beast after being eaten.

halkun on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    d8fdb623-c3ef-41ea-ab42-cb6105a1b0bf

You nailed the bat annoyance perfectly.

Oh god.

I did get stuck on my second play through though. I had the bat holding the magnet in the wharves area. It attracted the bridge to me and apparently I hit the bridge during a screen transition. When I went to the next screen I was in the boarder of the walkable surface, sans bridge and unable to move. Maybe a function to move you to the nearest walkable surface if you work on this more?

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited April 2009
    I'v gimped myself on the bridge in the original version, so I'm gonna chalk this up to "Feature, not a bug" :P Even in the original, resetting was not a crime and the game continued where you left off.

halkun on
    edited April 2009
    Indeed, moving the bridge is a mechanic of the game, as the bridge is an item, and in fact, a necessary one to play Quests 2 and 3.
    weird music bug

That's weird; no idea why music is playing over itself. I mean, it might happen while the screen fades from the level to the Continue screen, but then it should just be the Continue music. Otherwise, there shouldn't really be much issue with music playing over other music. Also, sometimes it may be harder to hear the music with ambient in the background simply because some parts of the music aren't very loud, but for the most part, it shouldn't be too hard to hear.

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    halkun wrote: »
    I'v gimped myself on the bridge in the original version, so I'm gonna chalk this up to "Feature, not a bug" :P Even in the original, resetting was not a crime and the game continued where you left off.

Yeah, some stuff that gets the player stuck is similar to stuff that happens in the original... Usually it happens just because of how some of this stuff interacts with each other (like the bridge and the surrounding level). Sometimes it's possible to get 'caught' in a loop if you have the bridge and the Magnet and maybe something else and you're in between, and you drop/pick up/drop/pickup because the magnet is pulling stuff into you. I can't remember if this happens in the original too or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. The solution is of course to hit 'R.' :P

What's kind of missing is the ability to "wiggle around" inside the tummy of the beast after being eaten.

or is it....
    .... try some things in the Continue screen (before the bat takes off)...

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    or is it....
    .... try some things in the Continue screen (before the bat takes off)...

Holy hell that's fricking awesome! Hahaha!

halkun on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Epic! Congrats on getting this far - it's quite the accomplishment.

I shall download from home this evening. :winky:

How big is the installer?

citizen059 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The bat can eat a giant hairy cock.

He waits for me to carry an item I desperately need all the way across the world and then he steals it from me?

Fuck the bat.

Love the game, slash.

joshofalltrades on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey slash, so I'm torrenting the game, which I assume is the main version in English, can't you have a download location for the Portuguese .txt file so I don't have to download again the whole thing? :P

Impersonator on
    edited April 2009
    Hey slash, so I'm torrenting the game, which I assume is the main version in English, can't you have a download location for the Portuguese .txt file so I don't have to download again the whole thing? :P

It doesn't quite work like that. You'll need to download the Portugese version itself, sorry :P

There's a link in the OP for the Portuguese version, the password is: blue

(the reason we can't just replace a txt file is because 99% of the text in the game is actually image data)

slash000 on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, ok, didn't know that! :P I'm still going to help with the torrent so don't worry about it. ;-)

Impersonator on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, ok, didn't know that! :P I'm still going to help with the torrent so don't worry about it. ;-)

The FileQube host should be a reasonably quick download anyway, I think.

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    So how do you unlock those bonuses?

jothki on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm far too young ever to have played the original, but this looks like fun, I'll give it a shot.

Biosys on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I've been trying to figure this out for days now.

Also. Screw red dragon in last screen for my quest 3 on expert right before im returning the chalice.

Goodbye carefully crafted hour and a half of my life

delphinus on
    edited April 2009
    delphinus wrote: »

OK, I'll hint, but I'll spoiler it:
    Unlocking each one involves beating a Quest on Medium. Quest 2, Quest 3, and Quest 2.5. Beating each of these on Medium unlocks at least 1 thing. The last unlockable is a silly one not related to beating any quests, but I'll leave that one up to you guys to figure out

The game is saving your best times, right?

slash000 on
  • kgagnekgagne MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome work on this stuff, dude. It makes me want to install virtualization on my Mac... instead, I have to just blog about it and live vicariously through the rest of y'all.

I found your YouTube page -- any chance of some updated videos w/sound?

kgagne on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The bat is definitely exhibiting some nontraditional behavior, which manages to make him even more annoying.

In the original game, the bat would not drop an item until he picked another one up. He also would not change his flight direction unless he was chasing after a new item. Finally, when he flew off screen, he would actually continue into the next appropriate screen.

This bat seems to teleport as soon as he leaves the active screen, and will randomly drop items without picking a new one up.

yurnamehere on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    delphinus wrote: »

OK, I'll hint, but I'll spoiler it:
    Unlocking each one involves beating a Quest on Medium. Quest 2, Quest 3, and Quest 2.5. Beating each of these on Medium unlocks at least 1 thing. The last unlockable is a silly one not related to beating any quests, but I'll leave that one up to you guys to figure out

The game is saving your best times, right?
    havent checked. but when i get close and fail, i pretty much rage quit. you already know how much i hate that bat.

delphinus on
    edited April 2009
    The bat is definitely exhibiting some nontraditional behavior, which manages to make him even more annoying.

In the original game, the bat would not drop an item until he picked another one up. He also would not change his flight direction unless he was chasing after a new item. Finally, when he flew off screen, he would actually continue into the next appropriate screen.

This bat seems to teleport as soon as he leaves the active screen, and will randomly drop items without picking a new one up.

Yeah, as it is, it seems like the bat just gives a random chance every screen for your currently carried item to be randomly teleported to another screen.

On the plus side, the bat can't chase you from screen to screen, so if you can get to an edge quickly enough you're safe. Did the original game work like that?

jothki on
    edited April 2009

Yeah, the Bat's the least "close" to the original bit of this game, but I did what I could. Statistically, you run into the bat equally often as you do in the original. Secondly, while the bat may be able to "get away" quickly after taking your item, the same applies to you in getting away from him when you've got an item. He's easier to escape because he's less tenacious. Though when he does get your item, it's hard to get it back before he escapes (though it was pretty hard to do so in the original as well). So I think it basically balances out - same degree of 'encounter,' and, while he can get away from you easily, you can get away from him relatively easily. That's about as much as I could do. I'd have made it perfectly if I could but this is as close as I could get.

On the plus side, the bat can't chase you from screen to screen, so if you can get to an edge quickly enough you're safe. Did the original game work like that?

The bat would go to the next screen assuming he didn't encounter an item he 'preferred,' iirc. So yeah, he can get away with your stuff, but, you can get away from him just as easily. I know it's not "perfect" like the original, but I think it approximately balances out.

slash000 on