As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: We don't need no guardsmen, let the M'Fers burn

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nax wrote: »
    My list is as such:

Dante
    Corbulo
    Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner, Flamer, Power Weapon

Assault Terminators w/ Lightning Claws
    Death Company w/ Jump Packs; 5 Marines

Assault Squad w/ PF
    Assault Squad w/ PF
    Tactical Squad w/ Flamer, Missile

Baal Predator
    Land Raider Crusader

Is this 1500 points? Or 2K?

My 2K List:
    Mek w/KFF, Combi-Skorcha
    Boss on Bike, PK, Cybork Body

30 boyz, 3 rokkits, Nob w/PK and Bosspole x 2
    20 Shootas, 2 Big Shootas, Nob with Big Choppa and Bosspole
    12 Boyz, Nob with PK and Bosspole, Trukk with Reinforced Ram x 2

15 Kommandos, 2 burnas, Nob with PK and Bosspole
    11 Lootas

6 Bikes, Nob with PK and Bosspole

2 Kans with Big Shootas
    2 Kans with Rokkit Launchas

At 1500 points, I take out the bikes, the boss, the kommandos, and put in a Looted Wagon with a Boomgun.

I've never lost with this list at 2K, and I've lost with a variation of my 1500 point list exactly once.

SJ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shootas have a range of 18" though, right? Seems like I'd be able to maneuver around and get into assault and only have to weather a turn or so of shooting (terrain permitting). Lootaz can be scary, I will not dispute that, but I've never been completely decimated by them, even when I was out in the open (except that one game when they drew LoS on a combat squad of scouts :P)

I'll ask my ork friend to play true green tide and see what he can do

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    My list is as such:

Dante
    Corbulo
    Honor Guard w/ Chapter Banner, Flamer, Power Weapon

Assault Terminators w/ Lightning Claws
    Death Company w/ Jump Packs; 5 Marines

Assault Squad w/ PF
    Assault Squad w/ PF
    Tactical Squad w/ Flamer, Missile

Baal Predator
    Land Raider Crusader

Is this 1500 points? Or 2K?

Thats 1850.

I totally want to play your 2k list though...

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In that case, I'd probably drop the kommandos from my 2K list and throw in a few more Kans or a looted wagon or something in 1850.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He had a looted wagon today... On a roll of a one, does it really move "as far as possible"? I figured it meant maximum movement, thus moving forward 12" and not being able to fire. He said he thought it was just as far as it could go, without the movement restriction. We read the codex and FAQ, and it seemed like the latter is what was intended.. so, on his first move, off it went until it hit my board edge... Where my Baal knocked off its gun.

Nax on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    He had a looted wagon today... On a roll of a one, does it really move "as far as possible"? I figured it meant maximum movement, thus moving forward 12" and not being able to fire. He said he thought it was just as far as it could go, without the movement restriction. We read the codex and FAQ, and it seemed like the latter is what was intended.. so, on his first move, off it went until it hit my board edge... Where my Baal knocked off its gun.

pretty sure you're right in this case

a vehicle crossing an entire battlefield in a single turn seems kind of silly. reading that passage myself, I see no reason to say that the writers meant anything other than "the maximum distance the vehicle can move", being 12" normally and more if on a road?

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009

As far as possible means as far as possible. The vehicle can only possibly move 12".

SJ on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    As for the IG, HQ, Armored Fist, and the HQ mortar squad are going to bunker down somewhere, maybe near the Basilisk, and rain distraction across the board. The unmounted Hardended Vets are going to take the Armored Fist's Chimera, and then both squads will ride the battle taxis to wherever they're needed.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your excellent strategy is slightly flawed. IG Chimeras can only be used by the squad they are purchased for. No other units may ever use them. GW points it out in the 5th edition FAQ,
    Q. My Imperial Guard or Black Templar Codex says that dedicated transports can only be used by the unit they’ve been bought for. Is that overruled by the new way dedicated transports work in 5th Edition?
    A. No, if a Codex clearly says that dedicated transports can only be used during the game by the unit that bought them, that overrules the general rule in the rulebook, as normal. Obviously some armies are stricter than others about transport regulations!
    So fucking stupid but there you go. I cried a little inside when I first read it. (Mainly because the only time I actually used that rule won me a game by allowing Colonel Penny to borrow the Grenadier's ride to zip across the field and counter-charge some eldar into oblivion. The next day they released the FAQ.)

Remember kids, the Imperial Guard is more strict about which of the countless squads uses which of the millions of Chimeras than every space marine chapter in existence, minus one, is about who rides in what rhino.
    Well, in that case, the armored fist and their battle taxi are going to be reassigned to hapless high-speed pointmen, and I'll give the Hardened Vets one of the SoB rhinos. It actually mike work better to hold one troop squad of sisters in my backfield to keep my artillery safe, and they'll be a bit harder to shift than an extra guard squad.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nax just in case your curious about other lists to deal with, my Thousand Sons are unqiuely advantaged toward fighting small numbers of marines.

HQ
    Sorcerer of Tzeentch (4+ invuln 2 powers per turn), Force Weapon, Meltabombs, Doom Bolt (3 Shots S4 AP3), Warptime (Reroll Hits and Wounds)

Daemon Prince, Wings Mark of Tzeentch (4+ Invuln, 2 Powers per turn), Eternal Warrior, Wind of Chaos (Flame Template ownage with no armor or cover), Warptime (Reroll hits and wounds)

Troops:

9 (Sorc goes here) Thousand-Sons (4+ invuln, ap3 bolters, Slow & Purposeful), Aspiring Sorcerer (Two powers per turn), Melta Bombs, Warptime (Reroll hits and wounds), Forceweapon
    Rhino, Combi Melta, Dozer Blade

8 Thousand-Sons (4+ invuln, ap3 bolters, Slow & Purposeful), Aspiring Sorcerer (Two powers per turn), Melta Bombs, Warptime (Reroll hits and wounds), Forceweapon
    Rhino, Combi Melta

10 Chaos Space Marine Squad, Icon of Tzeentch (5+ Invuln save), Aspiring Champion, power fist, 2 Plasma guns
    Rhino, Combi melta

10 Chaos Space Marine Squad, Icon of Tzeentch (5+ Invuln save), Aspiring Champion, power fist, 2 Melta guns
    Rhino, Combi melta

Heavy Support

Defiler, 2 Close Combat Weapons

3 Obliterators

2000 even

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ARMIES NAX NEEDS TO WORRY ABOUT

Lash spam
    Horde nids
    Horde Orks
    Nob Bikers (maybe)
    Sternguard in pods
    Termie Taxis
    Deathguard
    Seer Council
    Properly built and played Nidzilla, although this one would be close
    Template/Ordinance spam, particularly Sisters

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frankly, I think my IG lists I generally use would rape that list

Between three leman russes, two to three full lascannons teams with sharpshooters, and double suicide vet plasma squads, your model count is just too low. Thats just my 1500 point list, too.

At 1850, I'd likely throw in armoured fist squads with plasma. Force you to tie up deadly close combat units while taking out other units trying to move forward.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let me rephrashe this post, what do you think of the Battlewagon?

O wow I am an idiot.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SJ, I notice your list lacks any troop carriers, is there a reason for this? Also only 42 boyz in that army? (just trying to get a feel for orkz iz all.)

Also, what do you think of the Battlewagon?

I think you missed the "x2" on the end of a couple units there :P Also, the trukks

tRaslin:

Yea, anything with a lot of Anti-Tank would be rough on me, especially since I rely on the LRC to get my strong units into assault. If I lost my LRC early, I'd be pretty much done.

Horde armies would have to be true Horde armies for me to be worried about them, because I can literally kill 20+ models on the charge with 2 units. That either wipes out most units, or puts them into impossible Ld test range (yea, snake eyes always passes, but its rare). Of course, if they're fearless, thats another story, but it severely limits the attacks coming back at me at lower Initiative.

So far, I've exploited my mobility and gotten myself into assault in places where I can get in, wipe out units, and maneuver again before getting counter charged. This has been a strength for me as long as I've played (even before trying this list), and its something I love about the Blood Angels :P

I can theoryhammer all day, and I know everyone else can too, but I need to get to work, so I better stop now :) Thanks for all the comments, lists, etc so far. I do appreciate it :)

Nax on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Haha wow you are right. Its too early in the morning!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man.

Battlefoam looks like such cool shit, but it's so expensive. If they could get their costs down they could run Sabol right out of business.

img_2814.jpg

a08d828dcec98d0a421cd1e8904b1a3d_7325.jpg__thumb

I'm half-tempted to get a custom foam inset for my Stompa, but I'd need to get two made in order to accomodate it's size, and they're $25 each for the custom foams. I may get one for my HQ's, all the same, because having them all on one tray would be cool to look at. They even burn/cut whatever text or designs you want on the dang stuff.

Ein on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh, that is cool. I think my Space Wolf armour just found a new home.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This one here is pretty damn awesome.
    img_2870.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's nice, I suppose, but since I do the same thing with sabol at much less the price, I'm not all that impressed.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, quick query guys. I'm working on something to simplify my gaming experience, and I need some input.

What are very commonly used dice rolls in 40k? I know there's 2d6, for leadership. What else? I am talking, like, used almost all the time. Are there any others?

Ein on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    nD6 is the primary one. All manner of things use 2 dice and several use 3. Every thing else basically uses 1D6 over and over.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess you could work out how many attacks your mobs get on the charge?

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Horde armies would have to be true Horde armies for me to be worried about them, because I can literally kill 20+ models on the charge with 2 units. That either wipes out most units, or puts them into impossible Ld test range (yea, snake eyes always passes, but its rare). Of course, if they're fearless, thats another story, but it severely limits the attacks coming back at me at lower Initiative.)

Actually, if they're fearless, it's better for you, because they'd take a number of wounds equal to the difference they lost combat by. My wording may be a little off, but I'm pretty sure thats how "No Retreat!" works.

Skullo on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Skullo wrote: »

Horde armies would have to be true Horde armies for me to be worried about them, because I can literally kill 20+ models on the charge with 2 units. That either wipes out most units, or puts them into impossible Ld test range (yea, snake eyes always passes, but its rare). Of course, if they're fearless, thats another story, but it severely limits the attacks coming back at me at lower Initiative.)

Actually, if they're fearless, it's better for you, because they'd take a number of wounds equal to the difference they lost combat by. My wording may be a little off, but I'm pretty sure thats how "No Retreat!" works.

You can weigh all the odds you want in your favour, but never ever count a unit out until you break it under half. I still harbour bitterness over the time I set up a friend's 700 point unit of ironbreakers including the bsb and general into a frontal charge from a spearblock with hero and assassin, a flank charge from witch elves, and a rear charge from dark riders. I also total powered word of pain on them, dropping their WS to 1. I won combat by a hojillion or so, and he tossed snake eyes on his break test. Next round the lord threw down some kind of paving slab, dispelled word of pain, killed the assassin by spiting shards of his own broken blade into his face, almost wiped out the dark riders, and mauled the spear block.

Next time I'll think better of taking three turns to lay a trap for someone's unkillable unit and just throw monsters at them.

Where was I? Oh yeah, small fragile units only work well until someone soaks their damage and headbutts them into the ground like a tent peg.

...wait, that doesn't make any sense either. Where am I?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm trying to come up with a decent 1000 point list of speedy Space Marines

everything in a drop pod, with a jump pack, or on a bike.

it's trickier than I thought to appeal to my inner craving for cool toys while still maintaining a decent number of scoring units / proper antitank. my pool of possible foes consists mainly of Space Wolves, Salamanders, Orks, and Guard, with the possibility of Tau, Daemons or monster-heavy 'Nids showing up in there.

so far, I'm thinking a simple captain with hellfire rounds on a bike, rolling with one of two 5-man bike squads who provide mid-close range firepower and support two 10-man tac squads that arrive via drop pod. I need some folk to playtest against

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes, fearless units would have to take armor saves based on what they lost combat by, which would be better for me. Mostly because then they have a better chance of staying in combat. If they fail, the odds of my overrunning are high with dante and corbulo always in the thick of things. I'd much rather them stay and kill them in the enemy assault phase :)

To dichotomy: attack bikes with MM are amazing and cheap anti tank that will fit well with your theme :)

Nax on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes, fearless units would have to take armor saves based on what they lost combat by, which would be better for me. Mostly because then they have a better chance of staying in combat. If they fail, the odds of my overrunning are high with dante and corbulo always in the thick of things. I'd much rather them stay and kill them in the enemy assault phase :)

Don't forget the advantage of your opponent not being able to shoot your units still engaged in close combat.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Alright, who here has an iphone?
    http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/dh.html

It will all be functional, in short order. ;) Also it looks stretched out in normal browsers, but trust me that it's fine on the device itself. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ein wrote: »

It will all be functional, in short order. ;)

oh dammit! h8 u!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Don't trust Ein using it

Likely, he will set up his own version to roll only 5's and 6's

Then again, brother dreadnought ein rolls all one's on his multi-melta, so who knows

Raslin on

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Nicely done! Is there a way for you to do the scatter die as well?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Don't trust Ein using it

Then again, brother dreadnought ein rolls all one's on his multi-melta, so who knows

dh_roll6s.html
    Rend wrote: »

Nicely done! Is there a way for you to do the scatter die as well?

Planning on it, yes. This is just to save me the incredible headache of rolling 300 dice for a green tide, primarily. :P

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    300? Bah, slugga boys are more orky than other, shootier gits.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Don't trust Ein using it

My Thousand Sons Sorcerers' either go the entire game without a miscast or their heads explodes with the first spell. Such is life in the 41st millennium.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I dunno, me and my friends have observed something we call the "power fist" effect

Essentially, anything str 8 of over will miss half of the time(3/4's if its only a one shot weapon), and will fail to wound half of the time. Marine on marine powerfist action with four PF attacks generally kill one dude. Multi-melta's miss 3/4's of the time, but generally blow shit up. Lascannons miss half the time, but don't blow shit up.

The exception to this is ordinance.

Raslin on

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I could probably make an actual iPhone Dice Rolling app if enough people wanted....

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I could probably make an actual iPhone Dice Rolling app if enough people wanted....

Someone sort've did that already, and fuck them because they're charging 5.99 for what is essentially a calculator.

After seeing this, I decided to just go ahead and make one with javascript on a web page. I think it's more effective in general because blackberries will be able to use it, for example. And you won't have to deal with the obtuse iTunes store for distribution.

Ein on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I could also make a blackberry version. I could also distribute both for free.

(I make mobile apps for a living, the App store isn't that lame to use)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Someone sort've did that already, and fuck them because they're charging 5.99 for what is essentially a calculator.

After seeing this, I decided to just go ahead and make one with javascript on a web page. I think it's more effective in general because blackberries will be able to use it, for example. And you won't have to deal with the obtuse iTunes store for distribution.

Nooooo My iphone is crying Ein.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    my ipod touch would enjoy this.

edit: also euh woo, looks at this here warhammer thread

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Still waiting for someone to make a nuclear powered dice roller. I know I saw an article on how to convert a webcam and a smoke detector into a true RNG using the radiation count/second of an Am-241 source, but no-one's ever implemented it commercially AFAIK.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.