As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair Falls Off My Body, and Sometimes There is [Chat]

• Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    My troubles with the fairer sex is that I can count the number of women I've had any decent connection with on one hand, and out of those, only a few I'd want to be more than friends with. Out of the ones who remained, they were either unavailable or not attracted to me.

Yeah. I met a few girls whose only interests were guys who looked like models. They wanted nothing else out of a guy. Shit like that is a major turn off. I'm not the best looking guy in the world, but I'm certainly uninterested in a relationship like that.

It's like, oh, you think the internet is a joke and that books aren't worth reading? I don't think we should see each other.

Um, just out of curiosity, have you tried any online dating sites? You know... OKCupid... plentyoffish...

Nope, none at all. I'm afraid of the limited prospects I might find available to me. Or what I might find out about myself (e.g. that I'm uninteresting and/or unattractive to most people and that the only people who deserve me are curmudgeons and bottom feeders). Forgive me for having any false perceptions, but aren't those the only kinds of people who use those websites? I mean, I personally know one guy who used those websites, and he's no model of humanity. All he wanted out of those websites was sex, and that's not something I'm really interested in, except as a 'par on course' for a real relationship. He had no problem picking up girls because all he wanted was to get boned every other day.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    I'm very lazy and don't care as much as most girls about having hair on my legs

this shit is crazy long though
    braid it

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    James wrote: »
    Prickly woman-leg is one of the weirdest feelings.

I hate that.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    it's not prickly, it's fuckin silky

Medopine on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the cynicism that develops through rejection (or, rather, dejection) propagates misogyny more than anything else.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    My troubles with the fairer sex is that I can count the number of women I've had any decent connection with on one hand, and out of those, only a few I'd want to be more than friends with. Out of the ones who remained, they were either unavailable or not attracted to me.

Yeah. I met a few girls whose only interests were guys who looked like models. They wanted nothing else out of a guy. Shit like that is a major turn off. I'm not the best looking guy in the world, but I'm certainly uninterested in a relationship like that.

You're doing better than I am, at least. Feel good about that.

I could feel good about a lot of things, but I don't think that alleviates the situation at hand, at it were.

Sure, it's a boost to the ego for a person to know that he's not completely without talent in (insert unnamed hobby), and even receive praise about (insert whatever I'm good at) from time to time, but what happens is that my subconscious sets the bar even higher, like an increasing difficulty curve. I don't know why I do this to myself.

Self-depreciation doesn't seem to peak. I sometimes feel like I have to live up to something and procrastinate because I think I won't. It's not a problem that debilitates me professionally, as I do manage to overcome it all the time, but I've certainly allowed it to debilitate my personal life.

Were I able to simply "get to it", and perhaps open myself up to "potential mates" on the internet, perhaps those who share my interests in art, literature and photography, do you think I should do it?

Worth a shot. I mainly got screwed by being under 18 and lacking a license, and most dating/friendship sites are 18+.

Hey, would any of you theoretically buy photo stuff? Fine art prints, cards, etc. Or would you say the economy is SO horribly into the shitter that it's stupid to even consider selling such stuff.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

braid it

Braid it and then write about it in a chapter long description about how you braided it, and why. Robert Jordan style.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

braid it

Good XBLA game.

Drez on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tired. sad. ronrey. exams in six.

good night!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I mean seriously I signed up for OKCupid and I was beating the smart bookish geeky girls off with a stick. As in, pick a number and form a queue.

Granted, they ran the gamut from [pretty cute] to [cave troll]

but the point is that there were plenty on the positive side and hey even if you're not interested in somebody physically at least they're nice to talk to and new friends are cool

See, that's the thing. I don't like most people, and socializing is something I do mainly out of expectation and hope that finally I'll meet some other human being that really interests me. And from time to time I do, which makes me want to continue going out to bars with friends and parties and whatnot. For the most part, though, I couldn't give two shits about the people I've come across. The girls I meet who are within my age bracket are generally just interested in the 'good time' and not anything with any substance, and the guys I meet in hopes of making friends usually turn out to be unrelatable. And it's not that any of these people are bad people; on the whole, the folk I've encountered are nice and amiable. They're just not my people, and after no time at all I find myself forcing things, playing out a role.

So in that sense having new people to talk to doesn't do me any good because most of the people I talk to I can't be genuine with.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What's with all the emotry tonight? Jesus.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm having a pretty good night.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Forgive me for having any false perceptions, but aren't those the only kinds of people who use those websites?

No, not at all.

Some of them are like that, yeah. Craigslist has the dregs of humanity, and I had terrible luck with match.com.

But I've heard good things about plentyoffish, and OKCupid has served me well.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So I was looking at maybe buying a PSP or a DS and I was looking at the games for both, and I noticed that MGS: Portable Ops is "canon" while Metal Gear Acid apparently is not.

That always makes me sad. Can't we just have various stories with similar elements? You know, the same way people always have? I sort of doubt that the Ancient Greeks, for instance, argued with each other over which of the various versions of The Odyssey were canonical.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Me too but all this togetherness is really bringing me down.

I did get an x-ray earlier today which wasn't so fun.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I could feel good about a lot of things, but I don't think that alleviates the situation at hand, at it were.

Sure, it's a boost to the ego for a person to know that he's not completely without talent in (insert unnamed hobby), and even receive praise about (insert whatever I'm good at) from time to time, but what happens is that my subconscious sets the bar even higher, like an increasing difficulty curve. I don't know why I do this to myself.

Self-depreciation doesn't seem to peak. I sometimes feel like I have to live up to something and procrastinate because I think I won't. It's not a problem that debilitates me professionally, as I do manage to overcome it all the time, but I've certainly allowed it to debilitate my personal life.

Were I able to simply "get to it", and perhaps open myself up to "potential mates" on the internet, perhaps those who share my interests in art, literature and photography, do you think I should do it?

Worth a shot. I mainly got screwed by being under 18 and lacking a license, and most dating/friendship sites are 18+.

Hey, would any of you theoretically buy photo stuff? Fine art prints, cards, etc. Or would you say the economy is SO horribly into the shitter that it's stupid to even consider selling such stuff.

I'd buy photo stuff, depending on the quality of the print and the subject matter. I'm pretty big on fantasy and science fiction-related stuff. Retro-future art, like steampunk, Bioshock or Fallout-inspired stuff are right up my alley of interest. I bought the Echoes of War "The Music of Blizzard Entertainment" stuff partly because it comes with 9 large art cards for Starcraft II, Diablo III and Warcraft. I intend to frame them soon.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Why did you get an x-ray?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I mean seriously I signed up for OKCupid and I was beating the smart bookish geeky girls off with a stick. As in, pick a number and form a queue.

Granted, they ran the gamut from [pretty cute] to [cave troll]

but the point is that there were plenty on the positive side and hey even if you're not interested in somebody physically at least they're nice to talk to and new friends are cool

See, that's the thing. I don't like most people, and socializing is something I do mainly out of expectation and hope that finally I'll meet some other human being that really interests me. And from time to time I do, which makes me want to continue going out to bars with friends and parties and whatnot. For the most part, though, I couldn't give two shits about the people I've come across. The girls I meet who are within my age bracket are generally just interested in the 'good time' and not anything with any substance, and the guys I meet in hopes of making friends usually turn out to be unrelatable. And it's not that any of these people are bad people; on the whole, the folk I've encountered are nice and amiable. They're just not my people, and after no time at all I find myself forcing things, playing out a role.

So in that sense having new people to talk to doesn't do me any good because most of the people I talk to I can't be genuine with.

Yeah, you're just meeting the wrong people. Might be the town you're living in, I dunno. But I pretty much guarantee that there's a shitload of people in your age range who have the same sensibilities you do.

But I mean you're going to bars and parties and frustrated that the people you meet are superficial... which is a little like hunting for caribou in the desert.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Forgive me for having any false perceptions, but aren't those the only kinds of people who use those websites?

No, not at all.

Some of them are like that, yeah. Craigslist has the dregs of humanity, and I had terrible luck with match.com.

Which of the two, would you say, has a stronger geek (or artist) cred? I don't wanna be meeting some band groupie or 40 year old woman with five cats.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Res wrote: »
    So I was looking at maybe buying a PSP or a DS and I was looking at the games for both, and I noticed that MGS: Portable Ops is "canon" while Metal Gear Acid apparently is not.

That always makes me sad. Can't we just have various stories with similar elements? You know, the same way people always have? I sort of doubt that the Ancient Greeks, for instance, argued with each other over which of the various versions of The Odyssey were canonical.
    Actually, I recently saw a documentary on how the Golden Fleece was real and all the events surrounding it and Homer's epic tale.

All the people on the islands have differing stories of what happened and all claim their tale is the true one.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'd buy photo stuff, depending on the quality of the print and the subject matter. I'm pretty big on fantasy and science fiction-related stuff. Retro-future art, like steampunk, Bioshock or Fallout-inspired stuff are right up my alley of interest. I bought the Echoes of War "The Music of Blizzard Entertainment" stuff partly because it comes with 9 large art cards for Starcraft II, Diablo III and Warcraft. I intend to frame them soon.

Well, the issue comes down to what're people willing to pay. And especially if I can get some clients. GOD I want clients. I want to pull my own damn weight without having to get a real job.

yalborap on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    it's not prickly, it's fuckin silky

If it gets long enough, it becomes less of a problem with prickles really.

LaOs on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm becoming interested in buying art or prints now that I can afford it. I bought the new PA laser cell, too; that should arrive soon.

What are you thinking of yalborap?

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Actually, I recently saw a documentary on how the Golden Fleece was real and all the events surrounding it and Homer's epic tale.

All the people on the islands have differing stories of what happened and all claim their tale is the true one.

Well, rats. I was hoping they had as solid a barrier between physical and metaphysical as we do.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm becoming interested in buying art or prints now that I can afford it. I bought the new PA laser cell, too; that should arrive soon.

Finally going pro to a degree. I need the cash.

If there's anything that grabs you in my collection, I'm thinking 4x6's $20, 5x7's $30, 8x10's $40. Sound relatively reasonable to you?

yalborap on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well, rats. I was hoping they had as solid a barrier between physical and metaphysical as we do.

The price you pay for knowing what's real is silly debates about canonicality.

Oh well.

Greeper on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sleep is sounding more and more reasonable to me.

I think I will try it.

G'night, [Chat].

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No, not at all.

Which of the two, would you say, has a stronger geek (or artist) cred? I don't wanna be meeting some band groupie or 40 year old woman with five cats.

Well I dunno much about plentyoffish frankly but I've heard it has a better 25-and-under population.

But just to give you an idea about OKC, I met my last girlfriend through there. Sadly it didn't work out but while we were together we liked to do stuff like do cryptogram puzzles on her laptop while cuddled in bed or talk about political science. She regularly handed my ass to me in Scrabble, and would perk up every time I pulled out my DS in hoped I'd be playing Professor Layton because she liked to help me solve the puzzles.

Before that, I briefly dated a girl who had a master's degree in library science and always had a book to read with her, finishing each title in 2-3 days. Her favorite movies included 12 Monkeys, 28 Days Later, and Clue.

In my case, I don't absolutely need a geek girl, that's not what's important to me, but it just happened to be that clicked with people like that more easily, and there were plenty of them on there.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Greeper wrote: »

Oh well.

Except it's not real. People who argue about "canon" are arguing about nothing.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Why did you get an x-ray?

Because I wanted to see through people, silly!

Really it's because I've been worried I've been on the verge of heartattack for the last two and a half weeks. If you check back to the week Left 4 Dead came out...that weekend I told Gorilla Salad I'd play with him over Xbox Live. Then I pulled my shoulder out...or thought I did...and flaked on him for most of the weekend. The pain was excruciating but I thought it was just a pulled muscle. When I went to the doctor that Monday, he told me I had Pleurisy (Pleuritis) which is apparently extremely painful but not life-threatening. But it manifests as sharp pain in the chest so it can feel like heart pain. It's an inflammation of the membrane between your lung and your rib cage, so breathing causes sharp pain. Also, I can't really take anything except Motrin/Advil/Ibuprofen. So fine that was two weeks ago. Last week I felt worse and went back to see a different doctor for a second opinion. Same thing, told me it wasn't my heart, just a strained muscle (I guess because of the Pleurisy) and that I was going to be in pain for quite a bit because you can't not put strain on the muscle...breathing does it and you can't really stop breathing. So I may have this for a month. So anyway, two doctor's basically confirmed the same diagnosis, independently, and stated that it was not life-threatening. However, my best friend keeps nagging me about a chest x-ray. So when I went the second time I asked him if I needed one, and he said "no, not for my diagnosis" but he wrote me a referral anyway, just to ease my mind if I wanted. That was about eight days ago. So anyway I tell this to my friend and since then I haven't been able to have a conversation with her without her telling me that I should get the damned chest x-ray. So I went today. Though to be honest I've been in horrible pain for the last two three days so I'm glad I got it over with.

I get the results in 3-5 business days, but I'm sure the technician glanced at it and would have told me if I was a step or two away from having a heartattack.

Drez on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh well.

No, they're arguing about fiction.

Are you saying fiction isn't important? CHOOSE YOUR NEXT WORDS CAREFULLY.

Greeper on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

If there's anything that grabs you in my collection, I'm thinking 4x6's $20, 5x7's $30, 8x10's $40. Sound relatively reasonable to you?

I really don't know because I don't have much experience in buying art yet.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

That's pretty reasonable. If I see something I like, I might just buy it. Mind you, I don't have a lot of money to throw around, but art isn't something I skimp on. The way I think about it, I've spent more on stupid Lacoste shirts.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh well.

"Canon" is whatever an IP owner decides is canon. Debate is silly. I don't know much about MGA, but I'm pretty sure I understand why Kojima would not consider it Canon. That shitty Snake's Revenge isn't canon either. For good reason.

Drez on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get better soon, Drez.
    And I wanna say my legs are hair as hell.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh well.

No, they're arguing about fiction.

Are you saying fiction isn't important? CHOOSE YOUR NEXT WORDS CAREFULLY.

Are you saying that the importance of fiction hinges on the importance of canon? CHOOSE YOUR NEXT WORDS CAREFULLYER.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sometimes H/A makes my head hurt.
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Just cause a girl has a boyfriend means shit. Women are always "shopping" around.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Just cause a girl has a boyfriend means shit. Women are always "shopping" around.

Hence my comment earlier.

Drez on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

Oh god.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.