As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair Falls Off My Body, and Sometimes There is [Chat]

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    I mean seriously I signed up for OKCupid and I was beating the smart bookish geeky girls off with a stick. As in, pick a number and form a queue.

Granted, they ran the gamut from [pretty cute] to [cave troll]

but the point is that there were plenty on the positive side and hey even if you're not interested in somebody physically at least they're nice to talk to and new friends are cool

See, that's the thing. I don't like most people, and socializing is something I do mainly out of expectation and hope that finally I'll meet some other human being that really interests me. And from time to time I do, which makes me want to continue going out to bars with friends and parties and whatnot. For the most part, though, I couldn't give two shits about the people I've come across. The girls I meet who are within my age bracket are generally just interested in the 'good time' and not anything with any substance, and the guys I meet in hopes of making friends usually turn out to be unrelatable. And it's not that any of these people are bad people; on the whole, the folk I've encountered are nice and amiable. They're just not my people, and after no time at all I find myself forcing things, playing out a role.

So in that sense having new people to talk to doesn't do me any good because most of the people I talk to I can't be genuine with.

Yeah, you're just meeting the wrong people. Might be the town you're living in, I dunno. But I pretty much guarantee that there's a shitload of people in your age range who have the same sensibilities you do.

But I mean you're going to bars and parties and frustrated that the people you meet are superficial... which is a little like hunting for caribou in the desert.

I figured as much, but as this has been the case my entire life, I acknowledge the likelihood of there being people like me out there who I can be me with, but accepting that concept is like trying to convince a dog that blue exists. A dog will have never seen any colours, let alone blue, and would be more than a bit skeptical.

There might be a herd of Fluffies out there for me to find, but I ain't never heard tell of 'em.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Res wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    So I was looking at maybe buying a PSP or a DS and I was looking at the games for both, and I noticed that MGS: Portable Ops is "canon" while Metal Gear Acid apparently is not.

That always makes me sad. Can't we just have various stories with similar elements? You know, the same way people always have? I sort of doubt that the Ancient Greeks, for instance, argued with each other over which of the various versions of The Odyssey were canonical.
    Actually, I recently saw a documentary on how the Golden Fleece was real and all the events surrounding it and Homer's epic tale.

All the people on the islands have differing stories of what happened and all claim their tale is the true one.

Well, rats. I was hoping they had as solid a barrier between physical and metaphysical as we do.

The price you pay for knowing what's real is silly debates about canonicality.

Oh well.

Except it's not real. People who argue about "canon" are arguing about nothing.

No, they're arguing about fiction.

Are you saying fiction isn't important? CHOOSE YOUR NEXT WORDS CAREFULLY.

Are you saying that the importance of fiction hinges on the importance of canon? CHOOSE YOUR NEXT WORDS CAREFULLYER.

It kind of does, yes, for the sake of continuity, which is actually kind of important, especially when you're talking about literary fiction and not comic books.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Eat less Twinkies, Drez my man.

Seriously though, hope ya feel better soon.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    I'm becoming interested in buying art or prints now that I can afford it. I bought the new PA laser cell, too; that should arrive soon.

What are you thinking of yalborap?

Finally going pro to a degree. I need the cash.

If there's anything that grabs you in my collection, I'm thinking 4x6's $20, 5x7's $30, 8x10's $40. Sound relatively reasonable to you?

That's pretty reasonable. If I see something I like, I might just buy it. Mind you, I don't have a lot of money to throw around, but art isn't something I skimp on. The way I think about it, I've spent more on stupid Lacoste shirts.

Huzzah!

If either of you(or anyone else) are interested, just PM me the one you want and what size and all that. We'll work out the details.

yalborap on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Edit: what drez said.

Greeper on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Sometimes H/A makes my head hurt.
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Women are always ______________

Oh god.

Really this is the worst part.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Women ________________________

Oh god.

Really this is the worst part.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Just cause a girl has a boyfriend means shit. Women are always "shopping" around.

SOMETIMES?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    It kind of does, yes, for the sake of continuity, which is actually kind of important, especially when you're talking about literary fiction and not comic books.

I don't understand why you can't have a juncture at which there becomes more than one continuity.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:
    Just cause a girl has a boyfriend means shit. Women are always "shopping" around.

I know girls who are super loyal to their boyfriends.

They are like the Scarlet Crusade of penises.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I don't understand why you can't have a juncture at which there becomes more than one continuity.

Because even fiction is a reflection of reality and reality has one timeline.

And you can have more than one continuity. Which is why the term "canon" exists. You have the official continuity, and whatever the hell else exists in the universe, even if it conflicts.

Drez on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I figured as much, but as this has been the case my entire life, I acknowledge the likelihood of there being people like me out there who I can be me with, but accepting that concept is like trying to convince a dog that blue exists. A dog will have never seen any colours, let alone blue, and would be more than a bit skeptical.

There might be a herd of Fluffies out there for me to find, but I ain't never heard tell of 'em.

Well, there's a saying that maybe might apply - if you only do what you've always done, you'll only get what you've always gotten.

I dunno, if you're serious about this, try something you've never done before. Sol Invictus mentioned wanting a girl who likes books... if you're the same way, try working part-time at a book store. You'll come into contact with a ton of people, and even if you're scared about dating your coworkers (although in this case you probably shouldn't be since it's only a part-time job and not a career opportunity) at least make friends and start meeting their friends. Or once in a while, ask a customer out. If you don't wanna get a second job, volunteer at a library. Maybe stock books at your college library. Find a charity that teaches illiterate adults how to read.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wouldn't mind meeting a girl who's self-absorbed, yet self-aware and self-depreciating, and capable of being absorbed in someone other than herself. I've given many the impression that I'm like that: self-absorbed (trying to change this), self-aware and self-depreciating. I mean, the thing about it is, I'd like to think that I'd be able to see through and beyond her self-centeredness and behold a person just as insecure as I am, rather than an egotist.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You can(on).

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

A WoW joke? And a terrible one to boot.

The Scarlet Crusade guys have turned on everyone.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wouldn't mind meeting a girl who's self-absorbed, yet self-aware and self-depreciating, and capable of being absorbed in someone other than herself. I've given many the impression that I'm like that: self-absorbed (trying to change this), self-aware and self-depreciating. I mean, the thing about it is, I'd like to think that I'd be able to see through and beyond her self-centeredness and behold a person just as insecure as I am, rather than an egotist.

That's a lot of 'self'

seriously, stop thinking about yourself!

Even in a depreciating manner!

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

How is switching the port of my video game controller to keep a psychically endowed terrorist from reading my mind so I can defeat him and complete my mission of bringing down a rogue CIA unit bent on forming a military micronation and waging war on the world a reflection of reality?

Edit re: your edit: Yes, of course. It's an IP thing. But the fans tend to elevate it to something more than that, which is with what I take issue.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

How is switching the port of my video game controller to keep a psychically endowed terrorist from reading my mind so I can defeat him and complete my mission of bringing down a rogue CIA unit bent on forming a military micronation and waging war on the world a reflection of reality?

I said this last time you didn't understand the meaning of a word: Either stop trying to get my goat, or stop being retarded.

By being retarded, I mean you can't argue against the concept of "canon" by citing one example that you personally find ridiculous. I don't care about MGS continuity, quite frankly. But you're trying to use that to argue that "canon" in total is dumb or something. Which is a dumb argument.

Drez on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Do more drugs.

Seriously, get a supply of acid, keep popping tabs until you can't remember who the fuck you are anymore, let your ego dissolve into transcendental oneness with the universe or just find an interesting rock to stare at until it's the most interesting rock in the world, and then wake up the next day and realize, "Wow, all that self-deprecating bullshit was really pretty meaningless."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited December 2008

It is a reflection of the fact that Kojima has access to some fucking AWESOME drugs.

And apparently, so did my mother during my time as a fetus, because I think up shit like that on the fly. Or did I not tell you guys about Ace Saur, the flying t-rex pulp hero type?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh god, no, don't do that. Don't do this.

You should be able to tell how this is wrong.

BECAUSE YOU FOOL! It's about the PEOPLE, as always. The rogue CIA agent is a person, motivated by certain things. That motivation has to come from somewhere, and be meaningful to make it a GOOD story. If you don't know what's CANON, you can't say what's come before. You don't know the motivation. In this one example.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

They are undyingly loyal to the light, and kill anyone who gets in their way. Which is perfect!

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

BECAUSE YOU FOOL! It's about the PEOPLE, as always. The rogue CIA agent is a person, motivated by certain things. That motivation has to come from somewhere, and be meaningful to make it a GOOD story. If you don't know what's CANON, you can't say what's come before. You don't know the motivation. In this one example.

Ok, but let's say, hypothetically, that the same developer creates another, alternate prequel, thus completely changing the story. One is going to be endorsed by the author as the "official canon." I just do not see what difference it makes that one is official and one is not, given that they are fiction and not accounts of actual things.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

I'd hope to meet a girl who'd be as loyal to me as I am to her. I don't want someone who shops around for a higher quality penis because it's disloyal, degrading and objectifying. I mean seriously, I'm somewhat afraid of being someone to be used and then disposed of. I certainly don't treat anyone that way and I'd rather prefer to not be treated in that manner, either.

I'm not so cynical as to think that "every woman shops around", as self-described misanthropes tend to do (I am not a misanthrope), so I'm not worried about that. Though I can see the allure in thinking poorly of everyone as it's nice to often be 'proven right' (even if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy) because of a constant fear of disappointment.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Ok, but let's say, hypothetically, that the same developer creates another, alternate prequel, thus completely changing the story. One is going to be endorsed by the author as the "official canon." I just do not see what difference it makes that one is official and one is not, given that they are fiction and not accounts of actual things.

What if he makes another sequel referencing events in the canon prequel? The non-canon stuff is fun sure, but that shit just 'didn't happen' in regards to the main story being told. The author's trying to say something, the story has to reflect it as the author desires.

I'm going to bed, now that I've realized I'm actually arguing about whether or not people arguing about something dumb is dumb

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

They are undyingly loyal to the light, and kill anyone who gets in their way. Which is perfect!
    I don't think you can call them loyal when they are crazy zealots.

I mean, I can say that I am loyal to Jennifer Anniston and claim that she wants me to murder every man on the planet, but that doesn't actually make me loyal to her.

"The Light" isn't a person or thing.

<3

Edit: Motherfuckers are constantly inquisitioning themselves as well, killing their own members.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope all of this "just because a girl has a boyfriend means shit" nonsense is pure nonsense of the trolling sort. I don't have the energy to scold people all night.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So why can't you just designate the separate continuities another way, rather than saying one is "right" and the other one isn't?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Res you are being dumb right now.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'll give you a real example in literature.

I just finished reading Ender in Exile, the latest "Ender" book. It's like the tenth or so full book in the Ender series.

In it, he has to retcon some stuff in chapter 15 of Ender's Game.

So what he has done is actually rewrite chapter 15 ever-so-slightly to account for altered references he made in Ender in Exile.

I'm personally not a fan of this practice, but now the new version of Ender's Game is the canonical version because the motivations and histories that drive the explanation of events and characters in this latest book don't make sense, exactly, without those revisions, because we were specifically told something occurred over a certain span of time originally and now that span of time had to be modified.

Does it make sense now? The author owns the continuity of his intellectual property. So, yes, he defines what is "canon" and, yes, it is very important and relevant.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

I'd hope to meet a girl who'd be as loyal to me as I am to her. I don't want someone who shops around for a higher quality penis because it's disloyal, degrading and objectifying. I mean seriously, I'm somewhat afraid of being someone to be used and then disposed of. I certainly don't treat anyone that way and I'd rather prefer to not be treated in that manner, either.

I'm not so cynical as to think that "every woman shops around", as self-described misanthropes tend to do (I am not a misanthrope), so I'm not worried about that. Though I can see the allure in thinking poorly of everyone as it's nice to often be 'proven right' (even if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy) because of a constant fear of disappointment.

In all seriousness I think you need to have a relationship, possibly an unhealthy one, where all of these issues bubble to the surface, where you make mistakes and have a great time but get hurt too, where you have a lot of highs and lows and everything in between. And then after that relationship goes down in flames, leaving you - for a few weeks - an emotional wreck, at least you'll be an emotional wreck with more specific understanding of what you want and what you need out of a relationship and how your own mental bugs sabotaged you. Then spend six months to a year in therapy and another six months to a year single, and then have a brief sexual rebound fling to reestablish your attractiveness as a man, and then you'll be ready for true love.

That and lots of acid. Gotta get that on the agenda sometime too.

Feral on

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well, there's a saying that maybe might apply - if you only do what you've always done, you'll only get what you've always gotten.

I dunno, if you're serious about this, try something you've never done before. Sol Invictus mentioned wanting a girl who likes books... if you're the same way, try working part-time at a book store. You'll come into contact with a ton of people, and even if you're scared about dating your coworkers (although in this case you probably shouldn't be since it's only a part-time job and not a career opportunity) at least make friends and start meeting their friends. Or once in a while, ask a customer out. If you don't wanna get a second job, volunteer at a library. Maybe stock books at your college library. Find a charity that teaches illiterate adults how to read.

I suppose I could do something like this. I plan on changing schools next year, which will mean a change in location, and I'm considering moving in with a friend. It's not that I'm not changing up the way I do things; I've changed my attitude, my atmosphere, and have grown into newer, different versions of myself over the years, and all with the same result: extremely few connections. So ya, I'll do something like the book store thing, but with my track record the way it is I'm neither dooming this from the get-go, nor am I all that confident.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hope all of this "just because a girl has a boyfriend means shit" nonsense is pure nonsense of the trolling sort. I don't have the energy to scold people all night.

It's sometimes true, but it was terrible advice in the context of that thread.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

I mean, I can say that I am loyal to Jennifer Anniston and claim that she wants me to murder every man on the planet, but that doesn't actually make me loyal to her.

<3

Edit: Motherfuckers are constantly inquisitioning themselves as well, killing their own members.

Why are we talking about this!

You win!

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Why am I giving advice right now? I was trying to be all jokey and shit. where did I go wrong?

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

<3

You win!
    You brought it up!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So why can't you just designate the separate continuities another way, rather than saying one is "right" and the other one isn't?

My ability to empathize with your perspective is failing completely. I don't get how you are failing to comprehend what we're talking about.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    See, what I really want is a girl who will dress up like High Inquisitor Whitemane for erotic bedroom roleplay with me.

I'll dress up as Scarlet Commander Mograine and she can kneel in front of me half-naked in a bright red chapeau and bid my cock to "Rise, my liege!"

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    EskimoDave wrote:

<3

You win!
    You brought it up!

You didn't ignore my obviously bad joke!

James on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    See, what I really want is a girl who will dress up like High Inquisitor Whitemane for erotic bedroom roleplay with me.

I'll dress up as Scarlet Commander Mograine and she can kneel in front of me half-naked in a bright red chapeau and bid my cock to "Rise, my liege!"

does it get harder if you do it on heroic?

Senjutsu on
This discussion has been closed.