As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair Falls Off My Body, and Sometimes There is [Chat]

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    he already has some sunglasses Spec otherwise that's a good idea
    How about a sweet lighter, or a flask.

not really a smoker or drinker
    Uh, uh, wallet.

What about a book he might want? Or a really cool edition of a book he already owns? Although that second one might be risky since people grow attached to their stuff.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A certified therapist from the APA is trained in how we think. Most of the bad press is just ignorance. There's nuffin wrong with em, or wrong with you for using them.
    It's like seeing a doctor for a checkup.
    ^^^This.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LaOs wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    I'm telling you, get him a quality pair of specs.

Maybe even Teh Specs.

On, that was good, you West-Coaster. Even for a West-Coaster.

Last night I convinced [chat] that Confederation had fallen apart as a result of the federal crisis. You should have seen it. It was awesome.

James on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    goodnight folks.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I feel as if I am constantly setting up myself for failure, subconsciously, just so the reward will be even more rewarding when I eventually succeed. The problem is that every time my ego tells me that "It's too hard!", the challenge becomes ever greater, to the point of becoming an impossible challenge. I seem to do this with everything, ranging from relationships (as I've mentioned) to not being able to bring myself to beating a computer game, or sometimes even finishing a book. I breathe a sigh of relief each time I finish a book, as if it was hard work, even when it wasn't.

Self-actualization is all well and good, but how do I prevent my ego from setting up these mental hurdles?
    This sounds like an opportunity for therapy to help you train yourself out of these mental habits. See a therapist. They really can help.

Well I don't know if I want to see a therapist, as much as it might help. I'm partly confident that I'll be able to work myself through this (with help and advice from others, of course). Granted, my mode of thinking is still in the state of self-sabotage, even as I write this. Because there's that little part of me that says I won't be able to work through it, or that I don't want this issue to be resolved.

Talking it out and bouncing it off you guys seems to help a great deal, though.
    Awesome.

Yeah talking helps no matter what.

The one thing I hate about our society is there's still this stigma against therapists. It's like "oh you have to see a therapist, huh? That sucks"

When really therapists see therapists of their own. It's just a way to realize goals, not necessarily a way of fixing some horrible fuckup of your life. They're just a way to talk things out.

On the other hand, in my experience talking things out can also slow you down.

On the other OTHER hand, I have a similarly self-destructive personality, and everyone knows most angsting consists of me turning any ideas down as impossible or illogical.

yalborap on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Medopine does your father have a USB flash drive?

Yeah he does

several, probably

Well, uh, smash them.

With a mallet.

And get him another one.

Man I don't know.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A certified therapist from the APA is trained in how we think. Most of the bad press is just ignorance. There's nuffin wrong with em, or wrong with you for using them.
    It's like seeing a doctor for a checkup.

I demand you come onto MSN morninglord, so I may ravage you like an Orc ravages lord Absentinos.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You know, I totally realize that. I really do. But subconsciously, I still believe in fate and "the one"

Man, that kind of thinking makes no sense if you really sit down and think about it, you know that, right?

Jemaine: It's just that I think she might be the one.
    Bret: Sally?
    Jemaine: Yeah.
    Bret: What makes you think that?
    Jemaine: You just know. When it happens to you you'll know.
    Bret: You said Michelle was the one.
    Jemaine: Yeah she's the one.
    Bret: You said Claire was the one.
    Jemaine: Yeah, she's another one.
    Bret: So you get more than one one.
    Jemaine: Some people are lucky, I've had a few ones.
    Bret: So how many ones can you have?
    Jemaine: Five.
    Bret: How many have you had?
    Jemaine: Three. How many have you had?
    Bret: Just one. Just one.

lol yesss...when's the new season start?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are we trying to figure out a present for a dad?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    okay it's time to put my work where my mouth is (that's what she said) and do some work before catching precious few hours of sleep

and the finish line

is just around the bend

i'll pause the game

so our song will never end
    :whistle:

MikeMan on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My troubles with the fairer sex is that I can count the number of women I've had any decent connection with on one hand, and out of those, only a few I'd want to be more than friends with. Out of the ones who remained, they were either unavailable or not attracted to me.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    wallet
    usb drive
    sunglasses
    books
    lighter
    flask

all of these have been eliminated

Medopine on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm telling you, get him a quality pair of specs.

Maybe even Teh Specs.

On, that was good, you West-Coaster. Even for a West-Coaster.

Last night I convinced [chat] that Confederation had fallen apart as a result of the federal crisis. You should have seen it. It was awesome.

Good work, you hippy.

Good work.

LaOs on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright Medo, howabout a really cool mug of somesort.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    You know, I totally realize that. I really do. But subconsciously, I still believe in fate and "the one"

Man, that kind of thinking makes no sense if you really sit down and think about it, you know that, right?

January 18th, apparently.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Alright Medo, howabout a really cool mug of somesort.
    #1 DAD

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »

January 18th, apparently.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I better get to sleep. I have to work on a letter asking the EPA to help keep California from fucking itself over extra hard while letting it fuck itself just a little bit so that it can loosen up for later.

And then I need to look up some stats on a fire truck.

o_O

--

Medo: Art. Literature. Culinary Delights.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ehhh mug

Medopine on
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I feel as if I am constantly setting up myself for failure, subconsciously, just so the reward will be even more rewarding when I eventually succeed. The problem is that every time my ego tells me that "It's too hard!", the challenge becomes ever greater, to the point of becoming an impossible challenge. I seem to do this with everything, ranging from relationships (as I've mentioned) to not being able to bring myself to beating a computer game, or sometimes even finishing a book. I breathe a sigh of relief each time I finish a book, as if it was hard work, even when it wasn't.

Self-actualization is all well and good, but how do I prevent my ego from setting up these mental hurdles?
    This sounds like an opportunity for therapy to help you train yourself out of these mental habits. See a therapist. They really can help.

Well I don't know if I want to see a therapist, as much as it might help. I'm partly confident that I'll be able to work myself through this (with help and advice from others, of course). Granted, my mode of thinking is still in the state of self-sabotage, even as I write this. Because there's that little part of me that says I won't be able to work through it, or that I don't want this issue to be resolved.

Awesome.

The one thing I hate about our society is there's still this stigma against therapists. It's like "oh you have to see a therapist, huh? That sucks"

When really therapists see therapists of their own. It's just a way to realize goals, not necessarily a way of fixing some horrible fuckup of your life. They're just a way to talk things out.

I'll say that I really wouldn't mind developing a relationship with someone over the internet. It's not something I've ever done. We have this social stigma that long distance relationships are for "desperate losers", but I believe that only holds true if people hide behind faux personas.

I just think that maybe I'd be able to 'click' with someone who embraces the internet as much as I do much more fully than someone who thinks it's just a toy, a joke or superfluous bullshit.

Granted, a real physical relationship is definitely the "end-goal" to all of this, because how else could I fully share my life's pursuits with my significant other? In any case, I don't think that there's anything really wrong in getting to know a person over the internet.

Some of the people I've gotten to know in real life just left me completely turned off, and it's not because I'd formed any expectations for them.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

and we are surprised?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Medo I think you need to bring us home for dinner so we can get to know your dad better.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

I am not a woman.

Do not give up on me, Zen.

LaOs on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Awesome.

I'll say that I really wouldn't mind developing a relationship with someone over the internet. It's not something I've ever done. We have this social stigma that long distance relationships are for "desperate losers", but I believe that only holds true if people hide behind faux personas.

I just think that maybe I'd be able to 'click' with someone who embraces the internet as much as I do much more fully than someone who thinks it's just a toy, a joke or superfluous bullshit.

Granted, a real physical relationship is definitely the "end-goal" to all of this, because how else could I fully share my life's pursuits with my significant other? In any case, I don't think that there's anything really wrong in getting to know a person over the internet.

Some of the people I've gotten to know in real life just left me completely turned off, and it's not because I'd formed any expectations for them.

My friend moved to atlanta to sex up his long term online gf. She's goddam hot, I've seen a picture.

Has a kid now, a steady job, a working family.

Smallminded thinking is small minded thinking.

I personally couldn't do it, but he's a unique guy. He has a strong self identity and cast iron patience. It wasn't his first relationship either.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ya, a lady friend would be nice. Zen, become a lady or something.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

About damn time.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ehhh mug
    This is not an insta-no.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'ma get Cliffhanger which is a DVD he wants and I will look for another thing to get him and I am getting the free shipping by also ordering an Elvis CD for my grandma

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

I am not a woman.

Take a chance on meeeee :whistle:

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'ma get Cliffhanger which is a DVD he wants and I will look for another thing to get him and I am getting the free shipping by also ordering an Elvis CD for my grandma

Good deal!

LaOs on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ehhh mug

Have you also ruled out movies and music?

What about some nice pj's?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    [chat] is too fast this time of the day.

IT IS THE NIGHT TIME.

And we all know the night time is the right time.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate all of you

I am not a woman.

Take a chance on meeeee :whistle:

It is about that time...

Oh, wait... I'm referring to a local commercial for a singles line or whatever that used to air at this time at night years ago. It played that song in the background. Was just so odd.

Now I am single and lonely, though, and I totally get it now.

:(
    Haha... not. I'm just as meh as usual!

LaOs on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    meh

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    meh

Exactly.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    But Cliffhanger is a terrible movie!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    meh

Mehxactly.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My troubles with the fairer sex is that I can count the number of women I've had any decent connection with on one hand, and out of those, only a few I'd want to be more than friends with. Out of the ones who remained, they were either unavailable or not attracted to me.

Yeah. I met a few girls whose only interests were guys who looked like models. They wanted nothing else out of a guy. Shit like that is a major turn off. I'm not the best looking guy in the world, but I'm certainly uninterested in a relationship like that.

It's like, oh, you think the internet is a joke and that books aren't worth reading? I don't think we should see each other.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My troubles with the fairer sex is that bitches be nuts.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.