As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair Falls Off My Body, and Sometimes There is [Chat]

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    See, what I really want is a girl who will dress up like High Inquisitor Whitemane for erotic bedroom roleplay with me.

I'll dress up as Scarlet Commander Mograine and she can kneel in front of me half-naked in a bright red chapeau and bid my cock to "Arise, my champion!"

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I hope all of this "just because a girl has a boyfriend means shit" nonsense is pure nonsense of the trolling sort. I don't have the energy to scold people all night.

It's sometimes true, but it was terrible advice in the context of that thread.

Which advice? I think that part of my post in the H/A thread - that the girl saying she has a boyfriend is irrelevant - is entirely valid.

Ronaldo, people who have boyfriends have the freedom to make friends with other boys.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    See, what I really want is a girl who will dress up like High Inquisitor Whitemane for erotic bedroom roleplay with me.

I'll dress up as Scarlet Commander Mograine and she can kneel in front of me half-naked in a bright red chapeau and bid my cock to "Arise, my champion!"

Is that what she says?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'll dress up as Scarlet Commander Mograine and she can kneel in front of me half-naked in a bright red chapeau and bid my cock to "Rise, my liege!"

I could get behind that.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Is that what she says?

that is, in fact, what she said

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    I hope all of this "just because a girl has a boyfriend means shit" nonsense is pure nonsense of the trolling sort. I don't have the energy to scold people all night.

Which advice? I think that part of my post in the H/A thread - that the girl saying she has a boyfriend is irrelevant - is entirely valid.

Ronaldo, people who have boyfriends have the freedom to make friends with other boys.

The chances that this girl is interested in him romantically are pretty low based on his description of the situation.

So the girl saying that she has a boyfriend is very relevant because she's trying to tell him, "Hey, this isn't about dating, this is about platonic friendship and studying."

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So my DK is at 60 (Pally is still back at 55, just having too much fun with the DK), so I guess I can do raids of the "old world" variety or whatever people call them.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Is that what she says?

that is, in fact, what she said

Well there you go.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    James wrote: »
    So my DK is at 60 (Pally is still back at 55, just having too much fun with the DK), so I guess I can do raids of the "old world" variety or whatever people call them.

or head to outlands?

Feral on

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

They can also, if they choose, sleep with other people and/or start relationships with them. Not that this won't piss off the person they are with and probably destroy that relationship, but it's not like there are any laws here governing relationships which we are all forced to adhere to.

Her having a boyfriend has meaning, but that meaning isn't that forging a relationship with her is impossible or against the rules, it just all depends on the two people in question.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Res wrote: »
    So why can't you just designate the separate continuities another way, rather than saying one is "right" and the other one isn't?

My ability to empathize with your perspective is failing completely. I don't get how you are failing to comprehend what we're talking about.

Metal Gear example again: MGA is non-canon. Solid Snake did not really fictionally get sent to the Moloni Republic to do spy stuff in 2016 because official canon says he didn't.

What difference does it make which is official? What if they had said that Metal Gear Acid is the official sequel to MGS2, and then went on to make MGS4 and called it non-canon?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

or head to outlands?

Well that's where I am right now, questing in Hellfire Peninsula.

James on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why is religion generally considered to be in a different category to other beliefs and opinions that people have? I'm not really interested in arguing about whether or not it should be. It's just a question I've been wondering about and never really gotten an answer for. I'm asking in [chat] because I trust here more than whatever religion threads are going on at the moment to just give me a simple answer.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll give you a real example in literature.

I just finished reading Ender in Exile, the latest "Ender" book. It's like the tenth or so full book in the Ender series.

In it, he has to retcon some stuff in chapter 15 of Ender's Game.

So what he has done is actually rewrite chapter 15 ever-so-slightly to account for altered references he made in Ender in Exile.

I'm personally not a fan of this practice, but now the new version of Ender's Game is the canonical version because the motivations and histories that drive the explanation of events and characters in this latest book don't make sense, exactly, without those revisions, because we were specifically told something occurred over a certain span of time originally and now that span of time had to be modified.

Does it make sense now? The author owns the continuity of his intellectual property. So, yes, he defines what is "canon" and, yes, it is very important and relevant.

A good author never has to retcon his work, much less do it in such a poorly conceived manner.

A good author will always plan such things details in advance, and occasionally reinterpret the situation from the perspective of another character who had, perhaps, a better view of the events went on compared to the original narrator whose point of view was skewed by personal biases and mode of thought. This can often work as a good twist and the revelation of the full sequence of events can, and will make greater sense than the original narrative. Steven Erikson and George R.R. Martin employ such storytelling methods to great effect, sometimes even in a single book.

I hate to get all argumentum ad hominem, but I lost all respect for Orson Scott Card the moment he turned out to be a bigot. Reading any of his books filtered through the understanding of his bigotry reveals much more subversive texts and I can't agree with any of what he says.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So why can't you just designate the separate continuities another way, rather than saying one is "right" and the other one isn't?

My ability to empathize with your perspective is failing completely. I don't get how you are failing to comprehend what we're talking about.

Metal Gear example again: MGA is non-canon. Solid Snake did not really fictionally get sent to the Moloni Republic to do spy stuff in 2016 because official canon says he didn't.

What difference does it make which is official? What if they had said that Metal Gear Acid is the official sequel to MGS2, and then went on to make MGS4 and called it non-canon?

BECAUSE THE MOTHERFUCKING DIRECTOR/AUTHOR IS SAYING "THIS SIDE-STORY IS NOT ACTUALLY A PART OF WHAT MAKES SOLID SNAKE SOLID SNAKE." ALL THE STORIES THAT DESCRIBE A CHARACTER BECOME A CHARACTER. IT'S LIKE A JUDGE SAYING "STRIKE THIS FROM THE RECORD." THERE'S A GODDAMNED REAL-WORLD ANALOGY FOR YOU. SAYING SOMETHING "ISN'T CANON" IS LIKE STRIKING SOMETHING FROM THE RECORD. IT EXISTS, SURE, IT WAS HEARD AND ALL THAT BUT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO JUDGE THE WITNESS/DEFENDANT/WHOMEVER BASED ON THE OFFICIAL RECORD. SAME FUCKING THING.

WHAT IS FUCKING WRONG WITH YOU?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Death of the Author!

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    Why is religion generally considered to be in a different category to other beliefs and opinions that people have? I'm not really interested in arguing about whether or not it should be. It's just a question I've been wondering about and never really gotten an answer for. I'm asking in [chat] because I trust here more than whatever religion threads are going on at the moment to just give me a simple answer.

Beliefs involving higher powers are beliefs regarding reality, life, and the universe in total. Aside from the fact that religious beliefs shape their followers' perspectives on reality in very fundamental ways, religion plays a large role in the social functions of those followers. Discussing religion, and particularly questioning religion, is to bring into question the basis of a lot of peoples lives. Compared to religious belief and support, most other beliefs just look like raggedy old opinion.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'll give you a real example in literature.

I just finished reading Ender in Exile, the latest "Ender" book. It's like the tenth or so full book in the Ender series.

In it, he has to retcon some stuff in chapter 15 of Ender's Game.

So what he has done is actually rewrite chapter 15 ever-so-slightly to account for altered references he made in Ender in Exile.

I'm personally not a fan of this practice, but now the new version of Ender's Game is the canonical version because the motivations and histories that drive the explanation of events and characters in this latest book don't make sense, exactly, without those revisions, because we were specifically told something occurred over a certain span of time originally and now that span of time had to be modified.

Does it make sense now? The author owns the continuity of his intellectual property. So, yes, he defines what is "canon" and, yes, it is very important and relevant.

A good author never has to retcon his work, much less do it in such a poorly conceived manner.

A good author will always plan such things details in advance, and occasionally reinterpret the situation from the perspective of another character who had, perhaps, a better view of the events went on compared to the original narrator whose point of view was skewed by personal biases and mode of thought. This can often work as a good twist and the revelation of the full sequence of events can, and will make greater sense than the original narrative. Steven Erikson and George R.R. Martin employ such storytelling methods to great effect, sometimes even in a single book.

I hate to get all argumentum ad hominem, but I lost all respect for Orson Scott Card the moment he turned out to be a bigot. Reading any of his books filtered through the understanding of his bigotry reveals much more subversive texts and I can't agree with any of what he says.

I lost all respect for him as a person when he turned out to be a bigot. As an author, though, I don't give a damn, and I subscribe to the Death of the Author philosophy as much as possible.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What record? They still made a sequel to MGA even though it is apparently non-canon. The fact that it is non-canon did not deter it from being recorded in its own continuity. Both continuities now exist. What difference does it make which one is "official" and which is "non-official?"

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008

'SPERGRAGE

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008

The chances that this girl is interested in him romantically are pretty low based on his description of the situation.

So the girl saying that she has a boyfriend is very relevant because she's trying to tell him, "Hey, this isn't about dating, this is about platonic friendship and studying."

And from his description of the situation it just sounds like he's lonely and confused about what he wants, and while he frames his request for advice as "do you think I'm going to get laid?" I've interpreted his actual needs a little differently, so I still do think it is wholly irrelevant that she has a boyfriend.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe you are. Or maybe we both are.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

'SPERGRAGE

I don't have Asperger's. What I have is contempt for blatant stupidity. Stupidity I suspect is affected. I have no tolerance for devil's advocacy in a fucking [chat] thread.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Death of the Author is the only way to read Lord of the Rings.

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

'SPERGRAGE

I don't have Asperger's. What I have is contempt for blatant stupidity. Stupidity I suspect is affected. I have no tolerance for devil's advocacy in a fucking [chat] thread.

I 100% agree with you actually,

I just think spergrage is a funny word.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    What record? They still made a sequel to MGA even though it is apparently non-canon. The fact that it is non-canon did not deter it from being recorded in its own continuity. Both continuities now exist. What difference does it make which one is "official" and which is "non-official?"

Go away and die.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You still haven't explained what's so stupid about doubting the importance of something that is not real being dubbed official.

Edit: Compelling argument.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Beliefs involving higher powers are beliefs regarding reality, life, and the universe in total. Aside from the fact that religious beliefs shape their followers' perspectives on reality in very fundamental ways, religion plays a large role in the social functions of those followers. Discussing religion, and particularly questioning religion, is to bring into question the basis of a lot of peoples lives. Compared to religious belief and support, most other beliefs just look like raggedy old opinion.

So it's basically a matter of scale then?

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Well, the author is dead...

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    2008-12-02-466rudolph.gif

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    You still haven't explained what's so stupid about doubting the importance of something that is not real being dubbed official.

I have explained it. I've explained it thoroughly and I've explained it exhaustively. So re-read all of my posts, especially my most recent ones, in their entirety over and over until what "canon" means and why it is important sinks into your head.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Non-canon has as much authority as fan-fiction. You mention it having its own separate continuity? Think of it as being a separate entity. It is based on something, but as it is not part of the original story's universe - or of the author's creation - it carries no validity. It is not the same thing, but a copy.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

See, this demonstrates my point rather well. I don't see what is so difficult, or rather, controversial, about it.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Feral, that is great. <3 Feral.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

OH GODS.

Brilliant

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I've only ever had platonic friendships with girls I was completely uninterested in, and a cute lesbian girl. If I'm interested, I've found that shit just gets awkward (for me) if she's already with somebody else.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

So it's basically a matter of scale then?

I guess, sorta. Think of discussing beliefs as if it were tugging a loose thread on a shirt. Most beliefs, you're tugging on a thread that the more you tug the more thread you pull, but structurally you haven't done any noticeable damage to the shirt. Religious beliefs are threads that if you tug you're risking unraveling the whole shirt.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Because when you have a fictional world, like Star Wars, or Star Trek, or to a lesser degree Metal Gear, where multiple writers will be contributing over time, future writers will have to base their writings on the events established in prior writings. Most people tend to agree that continuity makes stories better, because then you can have real character and plot development over time. However, because they are works of fiction, anybody can write anything they want in those worlds and in addition to the legal power of the copyright holder to go after unauthorized derivative works there ideally needs to be a central authority (usually the original author himself) establishing which events future writers should incorporate into their backstory. Otherwise you have a branching incomprehensible hodgepodge of character history, aka Marvel Comics.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I'll be nice and try to explain it one more, very simple way:

Let's say I'm an accomplished author. Let's say I write five books developing a character named Herfy Porters, a teenage magician. Let's say a colleague writes a book called "Herfy Porters Goes To The Gym!" which is a book using my character and it discusses Herfy Porters going to the gym and I allow it to be published because it's a good book. However now I want to write a sixth book and in that sixth book it is absolutely crucial, for some reason, that my character - Herfy Porters - has never been to a gym in his entire life. So I declare that this other work is non-canon. And thus it should not be considered as a part of developing Herfy Porters and should not be consulted in understanding Herfy Porters as an evolving character. The gym part should not be considered a part of Herfy Porters's history.

If you don't understand why this matters to an author AND his readers, I cannot help you any further.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

Well, the author is dead...

True...

Alternatively:

Exactly!

James on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I guess, sorta. Think of discussing beliefs as if it were tugging a loose thread on a shirt.
    Most beliefs, you're tugging on a thread that the more you tug the more thread you pull, but structurally you haven't done any noticeable damage to the shirt.
    Religious beliefs are threads that if you tug you're risking unraveling the whole shirt.

If you want to destroy my sweater...

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.