As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spelunky - A Roguelike Platformer! (New Version Out!)

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A good Game Maker game!? This is unheard of!

rayofash on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    M turns off the music.

Thanks. Another problem - my dude automatically throws his bombs out at the beginning of each round and whenever I pick some up.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    How do you use those mitts/gloves?

Sheep on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The climbing ones just let you grab and wall jump anywhere. I assume to pitching one just makes you throw things further/faster/straighter.

They are all 'passive' items and they work automatically.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh hey, I suck at both roguelikes and platformers :(

So I just died for the fourth time--this one was great. I got both the statue and the girl, and were alternating taking them to the door when I threw the girl down and accidently went through the door without either. Then, on the second level, there was a girl on a platform with a snake. I miss the snake with a rock, beam the girl who runs off the ledge to the unknown. I jump over, slay the snake, take the gold, and hang off the rock face to jump on another ledge. There I see that the girl is laying on the ground. "She must have fallen a long way and is just unconcious, I'll go get her and carry her to safety. So I jump over to her, and figure out that she was laying on a pile of spikes, and I died on top of her.

piL on
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy christ, this game is fucking amazing! Had to post to recount my story:

Start a new game, golden idol is to my right with a giant spider on the ceiling. I grab the idol and bound up the cliff to get out of the way of the boulder. the boulder comes and crashed through the side of the cliff where i was and unearths a remote control looking thing. I drop the idol, pick up the control, use it, and promptly teleport myself into a wall, dying instantly.

This game is the shit!

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Throwing one arrow at a big spider isn't enough to kill it.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bwahaha... There was a young damsel in distress on the opposite wall of the shopkeeper, so I figured hey, I'll take a shortcut through the shop with this bomb. No sooner than I light the bomb does the shopkeeper blow my head off with his shotgun and scream terrorist!

Oh, the hilarity ensues.

Galielmus on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hell yes! A gun that shoots webs!

Verr on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How do you unlock the bonus level things?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Level 5 complete! This is the furthest I've been yet. $50k and springy shoes. Wish me luck!

That was quick...

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got done playing this a few times.

I learned shopkeepers are mean. You cannot get away with stealing, every other shopkeeper will turn on you, and they all have a big gun.

I figured I'd bomb the bottom of a shop, and take all of the stuff that fell through, awsome plan. Planted the bomb, stepped back, and BOOM! One wide open shop and one pissed off shopkeeper wielding a shotgun. Right - He runs off in some weird direction pissed out of his mind, and I raid his shop, get away to the exit, and enjoy the day.

Climbing gloves, cape, and a set of weird glasses. I'm ready to raid this shit like Indiana Jones. Then I cross another shopkeeper, a kissing shop, and when I step in to get a kiss. He whips out his shotgun, blows his girl away, and chases after me in a very angry manner. I scream out "Oh shit!" and haul ass away. To no avil. The man puts a shell into my back all quick like and proceeds to sit back for a smoke.

Game over.

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think this game, Space Station 13 and Dwarf Fortress prove that roguelike elements are the videogame element of bacon, they make everything better.

In other news I've got to level 5 after 40 deaths, then died. Cool to see that way more elements open up at that level.

redraptor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Don't trust pimps in caves.
    Keepyoureyeout.jpg

piL on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

I learned shopkeepers are mean. You cannot get away with stealing, every other shopkeeper will turn on you, and they all have a big gun.

I figured I'd bomb the bottom of a shop, and take all of the stuff that fell through, awsome plan. Planted the bomb, stepped back, and BOOM! One wide open shop and one pissed off shopkeeper wielding a shotgun. Right - He runs off in some weird direction pissed out of his mind, and I raid his shop, get away to the exit, and enjoy the day.

Climbing gloves, cape, and a set of weird glasses. I'm ready to raid this shit like Indiana Jones. Then I cross another shopkeeper, a kissing shop, and when I step in to get a kiss. He whips out his shotgun, blows his girl away, and chases after me in a very angry manner. I scream out "Oh shit!" and haul ass away. To no avil. The man puts a shell into my back all quick like and proceeds to sit back for a smoke.

Game over.

Once I blew a hole in a shop's floor by accident. The shopkeep flips out and tries to kill me, but somehow drops his shotgun and falls into a spike pit. Turns out those will kill anything in one hit.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

Game over.

Once I blew a hole in a shop's floor by accident. The shopkeep flips out and tries to kill me, but somehow drops his shotgun and falls into a spike pit. Turns out those will kill anything in one hit.

And I was just sitting here wondering where the fucking monster spider died at. Guess I missed the sticky bombs he dropped, I'd thought he'd just disappeared, but the game gave me credit for killing it, so I guess the spikes did it in.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Jetpacks are so much fun. I found one in a chest on the first level, once.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Treasure Chests sometimes have armed bombs in them...

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I realllly want to play this but my screen does weird black things and I cant see anything.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ridiculously awesome game. The physics and movement interact so nicely.

Sometimes it takes a really long time to load a level, I've found that pressing Esc fixes that.

It also has a level editor:
    readme.txt wrote:
    Press F2 at the title screen to go to the level editor. Use the mouse to
    place tiles (left button) or erase tiles (right button). Use A and S to
    switch tiles. Press Escape to save the level ("test.lvl") and exit.

To play the level, press F3 at the title screen.
    rayofash wrote: »

I'm sure you at least heard of Knytt Stories, or the Cactus games?

peterdevore on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How many levels do you need to get through for a "win"?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    tried starting the game with different settings and my screen goes black all the time. If i push esc i can see everything- but its very dim.

anyone else have problems with this on vista?

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Playing on Vista 64, runs fine.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    seems to not be happy with my graphics card which is an 8800 lap top version.

the readme and all the help i can find just suggest turning off fullscreen mode.

Odly if push f2 i can the level creator pops up and i can see everything.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just got blamed for a bolder going into a shopkeeper's shop. That sucked.

piL on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Goff wrote: »
    redraptor wrote: »
    It's pretty crazy that with all the randomly generated stuff mixed with a platformer I've only been trapped with no escape once, and it was completely my fault.

Yeah, when I first read about this, I was worried that there would be lots of levels which would be impossible to finish, but that certainly isn't the case. What did you do to get trapped?

It's actually pretty easy to program something like this and make sure it is finishable.

You know how in an RTS, you click a place and your guys somehow get to it, around rocks and trees and whatever? That's pathfinding, and you just use the same thing here. You start at the beginning and try to trace a path to the end of the level. If you don't find one after searching everything, or sometimes after just a few tries, you give up and come up with a new map.

There are also ways to design maps that will always be finishable - for example, generate it in blocks of wide open rooms and fill them a certain way, cutting holes to make paths you know will make it to the exit.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Knytt Stories was Multimedia Fusion.

Seiklus, Iji, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden are good Game Maker games as well.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Klorgnum wrote: »

Knytt Stories was Multimedia Fusion.

Seiklus, Iji, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden are good Game Maker games as well.

I was gonna say, I thought for sure Knytt was better than that!

But anyway, GM is not a bad tool. Last I used it the only real issue it had as a 2D engine was load lags, particularly every time the MIDI music looped. Otherwise it seemed pretty decent, although you get a lot of crap coming out of it due to ease of use for the kids.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game is awesome.

I found a shop selling Climbing Gloves and a Parachute, but I didn't have money for either. So I spy some gold further along, and I figure that if I get that, I might be able to afford something. Instead, I found an idol, which tripped a boulder into demolishing the back wall of the shop. The shopkeeper screams "Vandal!" at me and falls down a ladder, while I make off with my new free items. I mean, I wanted to pay him, but he wasn't there...

Then a spider killed me two levels later. Dammit!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Funny thing happens if you have climbing gloves and you're holding a girl when you jump against a wall.
    In the prime of her life too! :(

piL on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any love for Macs here?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck spiders.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm guessing that since this is a roguelike there is no "save, die, reload, repeat" process

will try this later tonight or tomorrow

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i swear i will get this running.

downloaded the last stable version and opened it up. same problem as before but if i can make it to the door by pushing esc to see where i am i can get to the first cave but there are some serious graphical glitches. I cant see anything on the ground.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dear God this game is hard

Rent on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    I'm guessing that since this is a roguelike there is no "save, die, reload, repeat" process

This game is a "die, repeat" process.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

This game is a "die, repeat" process.

One thing to note is that after a certain number of levels, a guy appears and offers to dig a shortcut to that point if you pay him enough. The money you pay him adds up even if you die, so you just need to get to that point enough times and you can start there after you die. I assume that he appears every time the level type changes.

jothki on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What do you do with the Tunnel Man? The game is just sitting there in the screen between levels, and I can't do anything.

Edit: Dur, press X. I amaze myself sometimes.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Woo, made it to level 9. Now to beat levels 5 through 8 over and over again so I can tunnel there.

jothki on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I died in more awesome ways in an hour of this game than the last year of gaming has offered. I grabbed an idol, leaped up on a platform, and waited out the boulder. Unfortunately the boulder crashed the blocks out from under me, but I looked safe. It bounced off the wall and rolled back over me. Another time I was jumping down a shaft and got hit by an arrow, knocking me off course and into a death-fall into a snake pit. Or the time I was trying to (whilst terrified) fight two spiders. I got one away from the other, so I chucked my rock at it. The rock got the spider but it also hit the wall, bounced back at me and killed me on the spot.

Game does not forgive. Game makes man of you.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]