As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spelunky - A Roguelike Platformer! (New Version Out!)

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does locked chests always contain an Eye of Adjunt (or whatever it's called)? It's a kinda neat item that let's you see gems inside the walls.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Does locked chests always contain an Eye of Adjunt (or whatever it's called)? It's a kinda neat item that let's you see gems inside the walls.

Is that what it does? Not all chests have it, but I've found quite a few of them.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »

Is that what it does? Not all chests have it, but I've found quite a few of them.

Yes, that's what it does. I didn't notice it until the second time I got one. What else have you found in locked chests?

Peewi on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, this game is a little wacky.

It wouldn't run at first, as I was getting the really dark first screen. But if I hit ESC, I could just see the screen. So I was able to walk my man to the door, and then enter it. Then I was able to see what was going on.

So I proceeded to die in many interesting and fun ways. From blowing myself up, to being eaten by a giant spider. To having a caveman punch me in the face. All kinds of dart trap deaths too.

One thing I couldn't figure out was how to pick things up. Like I saw a key, but couldn't figure out how to pick it up. Or those idol things laying around. Many things you seem to auto pickup, but not everything.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Selner wrote: »

It wouldn't run at first, as I was getting the really dark first screen. But if I hit ESC, I could just see the screen. So I was able to walk my man to the door, and then enter it. Then I was able to see what was going on.

So I proceeded to die in many interesting and fun ways. From blowing myself up, to being eaten by a giant spider. To having a caveman punch me in the face. All kinds of dart trap deaths too.

One thing I couldn't figure out was how to pick things up. Like I saw a key, but couldn't figure out how to pick it up. Or those idol things laying around. Many things you seem to auto pickup, but not everything.

You pick up stuff with down+X. It tells you in the tutorial.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You pick up stuff with down+X. It tells you in the tutorial.

Tutorial? Ah, maybe I should have done that first before running off to my death repeatedly ;) .

Selner on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yes, that's what it does. I didn't notice it until the second time I got one. What else have you found in locked chests?

Fourteen bombs is the only other thing I found, I think. In one chest. Fourteen.

This game is the bee's knees on a Logitech Rumblepad, by the way. It comes with a control map that's more or less flawless.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Fourteen bombs is the only other thing I found, I think. In one chest. Fourteen.

This game is the bee's knees on a Logitech Rumblepad, by the way. It comes with a control map that's more or less flawless.

I would suggest turning off the down to run option though, or you'll find yourself accidently plummeting to your death. But yes, hooray Rumblepad!

piL on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    So... I kill a shop keep. Steal his stuff.

Next level I see one bouncing around super pissed, anxious to kill me. We meet up, and some how, I live. I take one hit point and crash to the ground and figure I'm dead. Super surprised when I get up.

I'M ALIVE! I'M AALLLLLIIII *arrow through the chest*

x_x

Sheep on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I picked up a strange remote out of a chest once and tried to juggle it with the dame I was saving.

I ended up teleporting into a wall and dying.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Boulders are a little buggy. I've died three times by just trying to step around an immobile boulder.

piL on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game.... so fun yet so frustrating.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    piL wrote: »
    Boulders are a little buggy. I've died three times by just trying to step around an immobile boulder.

Last time I was rolled by one, I picked up the gold skull thing and then ran off to the side. Nothing. No rumbles, no sound. Nothing.

Sat there for at least a minute.

Then when I move back to the left a bit BAM. Squished.

Sheep on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't get this to run. D:

I've tried both the stable version and the latest beta, and both crash when I try to run them. Not even getting in-game, just a flat-out crash.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

I've tried both the stable version and the latest beta, and both crash when I try to run them. Not even getting in-game, just a flat-out crash.

Do you get the options window before you crash? I think some people have said that they crashed when running fullscreen.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Made it to level 5 for a second time. This time I got to meet the "tunnel man" so I'm about 16% of the way toward affording that shortcut. hooray

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Made it to level 5 for a second time. This time I got to meet the "tunnel man" so I'm about 16% of the way toward affording that shortcut. hooray

I just unlocked it! Corpse runs 4tw.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    korodullin wrote: »

Do you get the options window before you crash? I think some people have said that they crashed when running fullscreen.

No. I got to the options menu once after rebooting, and I exited out of the game when I discovered that it won't read my gamepad (PS2 Dual Shock plugged into a USB converter), and it won't start up again. I'm not rebooting every time I exit the game.

I'll probably give it a couple patches to see if it gets a bit more stable.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Cpt_InnocuousCpt_Innocuous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can jump on monsters heads to squash them. Totally found that out by accident.

Cpt_Innocuous on
  • Options
    GoffGoff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You can jump on monsters heads to squash them. Totally found that out by accident.

Careful...this doesn't work for all monsters....:)

Goff on
    SC2 id: quine.944 (North America)
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man this game kicks ass, just what I needed after finishing up Shiren the Wanderer

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I also discovered that by accident. I don't think the game tells you that you can do it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Goff wrote: »

Careful...this doesn't work for all monsters....:)

GODDAMN MANEATERS! D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just discovered this game while looking for solutions to a crashing problem in Aquaria. It's been fun and frustrating so far. Can you die if you spend too much time on a level? I was playing the dice game and something came on screen about air and my lungs. The sound sped up and I thought I was about to die.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I just discovered this game while looking for solutions to a crashing problem with Aquaria. It's been and frustrating so far. Can you die if you spend too much time on a level? I was playing the dice game and something came on screen about air and my lungs. The sound sped up and I thought I was about to die.

A ghost came after me once.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap, that was a lucky way to survive for 10 seconds longer... while holding the idol, I fell too far, hit the ground, bounced towards a spike pit... only to bounce off a frog mid-way and completely clear it, all while stunned... of course, 10 seconds later, I was right back in those spikes...

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had an arrow trap spawn right next to the exit. There was a ghost coming after me. As I gazed into the eyes of the beautiful woman cradled in my arms, I knew what I had to do.

Bitch took one for the team.

Food on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Food wrote: »
    I had an arrow trap spawn right next to the exit. There was a ghost coming after me. As I gazed into the eyes of the beautiful woman cradled in my arms, I knew what I had to do.

It's fine though I mean she is tougher then you are.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like Spelunky but I suck at platformers!

streever on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Food wrote: »

Beautiful women can survive more arrows than you can! I often use them to kill enemies if I can't find somewhere safe to drop them.

Also: Everyone should notice that you can walk past spikes without being hurt, they're only dangerous if you fall on them.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Or graze past them in a downward like motion.

Sheep on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Selner wrote: »

Hold down and press attack.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I didn't know the tunnel shortcut guy's money kept on different playthroughs! I would've paid for that dern thing so long ago.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So a boulder killed a shopkeeper, so I steals all his stuff (Cape, gloves, and glasses). Next level I run into two more shopkeepers out to kill me, and a ghost. The shopkeeper kills the ghost somehow, and one loses his shotgun.

Also, do not go into the shop with an armed bomb. Or do, it is pretty funny.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So...if a shopkeeper just...happens to die will all future shopkeepers hate me from then on?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So...if a shopkeeper just...happens to die will all future shopkeepers hate me from then on?

Yes. You will have to kill all shopkeepers. It is a noble charge.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has it been mentioned this was made by Derek Yu, co-creator of Aquaria?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, I had this sweet run going...climbing gloves, bouncy boots, FIVE FUCKING HEARTS, 10 bombs and 10 ropes, and I fucking died like an idiot to a zombie thing.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yes. Post 16. Is Aquaria good? I remember playing the demo and yawning a lot.

piL on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yup.

It bears repeating though.

BlueDestiny on