As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherein we discuss the wonder that is TITAN QUEST (NSF56k)

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You know what else may increase difficulty that I'm seriously considering?

Increasing the potion cooldown time. Not to anything too absurd... just enough to make them impractical as a normal means of sustenance.

What do you guys think about that?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    AND IN THE LAND OF SLOW DRINKERS, THE NATURE HEALER SHALL REIGN SUPREME!

*coughs*

Sorry.

I dunno, I'm torn on that. Sometimes the only way to stay alive as a caster is to chug pot after pot in rapid succession.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I don't favor that change.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm game now. Server info?

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think they are testing stuff. But I will make a PA///wang game shortly.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    with a bit of luck i should be able to play in about an hour or maybe a bit sooner.

hope you guys are with me then!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I don't favor that change.

Yeah, the cooldown is enough as it is, if you get in over your head you're still going to die. It'd make bosses much, much harder, too.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I can get on now, until 8. But I'll be afk for about 20 minutes here and there.

What you all should do is say "I'm gonna make a PA room, and if anyone wants to join, well... I'll be there." Rather than waiting for these meetings to occur, simply because there's a higher chance of one of us popping in there during the day.

edit: Morkath, what version are you running. You know we are all using the fan patch 1.16 right?

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just got this and the exp a few days ago. Definitely worth it. I'm about level 18, and I went earth/rogue with elemental and trap, as well as that firebomb spell thing. The game seems pretty rediculously easy at this point, as I've only died once (and it was because I failed to push spacebar) but its so pretty to look at.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I can get on now, until 8. But I'll be afk for about 20 minutes here and there.

What you all should do is say "I'm gonna make a PA room, and if anyone wants to join, well... I'll be there." Rather than waiting for these meetings to occur, simply because there's a higher chance of one of us popping in there during the day.

edit: Morkath, what version are you running. You know we are all using the fan patch 1.16 right?

I'm testing serial's mod.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh... Right-o. Carry on.

If someone wants to play, they can join my PA game.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lovely thread, and this...
    s3rial one wrote: »
    The Templar's going to be a rougher start. There's no way around it: pet-heavy classes like the Druid get an easier run through the game until you've had time to stockpile equipment. After that, casters who don't focus on pets have the easiest time. Then, pure melee builds. At the bottom of the heap are the hybrids. I wouldn't bother with one until you can twink.

That's the only reason I'm running hybrids in the PA games... I have an absurd stockpile of equipment I can use to make them playable. I'm not doing anything lame, like wearing multiple Brimstones/Stormeyes at the lower levels, but I'm certainly not skimping on the armor. My spellbinder is sitting at 12 with the full Theban Armor set right now.

EDIT:

If you're new to the game, consider this:

Great starting classes:
    • Druid (Nature/Storm)
    • Oracle (Storm/Spirit)
    • Summoner (Nature/Earth)
    • Diviner (Dream/Spirit)
    • Ritualist (Dream/Nature)
    • Prophet (Dream/Storm)
    • Evoker (Dream/Earth)
    • Elementalist (Earth/Storm)
    • Conjurer (Earth/Spirit)
    • Soothsayer (Nature/Spirit)

The one thing each of those classes has in common is the ability to focus on pets. Pets are fantastic. Pets start off very powerful, gradually run out of steam through normal mode, and then come back very strong in Epic and Legendary.

Alternatively, you can make any of those classes a good (not great) starting class by focusing on offensive spells instead of pets.

Okay Starting Classes
    • Assassin (Warfare/Rogue)
    • Slayer (Warfare/Hunting)
    • Conqueror (Warfare/Defense)
    • Corsair (Defense/Rogue)
    • Warden (Defense/Hunting)
    • Brigand (Hunting/Rogue)

All of these classes are more or less purists; they're equipment-dependent, but not to the point where it's cripplingly so. They are all extremely powerful in their own right, too. A spear-based Brigand, for example, will do more damage, hit-for-hit, than anything else in the game. He'll die if someone so much as shoots him a nasty glare, too, but he kills bosses like no other.

Classes You'd Be Nuts to Start With
    • Thane (Warfare/Storm)
    • Sage (Storm/Hunting)
    • Spellbreaker (Warfare/Spirit)
    • Spellbinder (Defense/Spirit)
    • Guardian (Defense/Nature)
    • Magician (Rogue/Earth)
    • Juggernaut (Defense/Earth)
    • Avenger (Hunting/Earth)
    • Champion (Warfare/Nature)
    • Battlemage (Warfare/Earth)
    • Sorcerer (Rogue/Storm)
    • Bone Charmer (Spirit/Hunting)
    • Illusionist (Spirit/Nature)

The one thing all of these classes have in common is that they're hybrids. Their stats are spread very thin, making it hard to keep all the abilities at their highest, meaning it's hard to equip the best equipment (even when you have it), and meaning that the things they do all tend to be less effective than the purists, and detrimentally so.

You'll see that I left out some hybrid type builds, though. Those are the so-called synergy bombs; Warlock (Rogue/Spirit), for instance. Ternion + Arcane Lore + Mandrake is so overpowered that your team will hate playing with you, and it ranks up there with Squall spammers (in normal mode) in terms of sheer lameness. Most of the hybrids that use Dream fall into this category, too.

I mean, everyone should play what sounds good to them. I just want to give everyone a heads-up that not all characters are created equal... or viable in later difficulty modes (without a lot of work).

... is a fuckawesome post.

I think I'm sold on TQ: Gold. For someone playing single-player who does not have infinite time (as in only might get through one of the two), is it better to start with TQ or IT?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    Lovely thread, and this...
    The Templar's going to be a rougher start. There's no way around it: pet-heavy classes like the Druid get an easier run through the game until you've had time to stockpile equipment. After that, casters who don't focus on pets have the easiest time. Then, pure melee builds. At the bottom of the heap are the hybrids. I wouldn't bother with one until you can twink.

That's the only reason I'm running hybrids in the PA games... I have an absurd stockpile of equipment I can use to make them playable. I'm not doing anything lame, like wearing multiple Brimstones/Stormeyes at the lower levels, but I'm certainly not skimping on the armor. My spellbinder is sitting at 12 with the full Theban Armor set right now.

EDIT:

If you're new to the game, consider this:

Great starting classes:
    • Druid (Nature/Storm)
    • Oracle (Storm/Spirit)
    • Summoner (Nature/Earth)
    • Diviner (Dream/Spirit)
    • Ritualist (Dream/Nature)
    • Prophet (Dream/Storm)
    • Evoker (Dream/Earth)
    • Elementalist (Earth/Storm)
    • Conjurer (Earth/Spirit)
    • Soothsayer (Nature/Spirit)

The one thing each of those classes has in common is the ability to focus on pets. Pets are fantastic. Pets start off very powerful, gradually run out of steam through normal mode, and then come back very strong in Epic and Legendary.

Alternatively, you can make any of those classes a good (not great) starting class by focusing on offensive spells instead of pets.

Okay Starting Classes
    • Assassin (Warfare/Rogue)
    • Slayer (Warfare/Hunting)
    • Conqueror (Warfare/Defense)
    • Corsair (Defense/Rogue)
    • Warden (Defense/Hunting)
    • Brigand (Hunting/Rogue)

All of these classes are more or less purists; they're equipment-dependent, but not to the point where it's cripplingly so. They are all extremely powerful in their own right, too. A spear-based Brigand, for example, will do more damage, hit-for-hit, than anything else in the game. He'll die if someone so much as shoots him a nasty glare, too, but he kills bosses like no other.

Classes You'd Be Nuts to Start With
    • Thane (Warfare/Storm)
    • Sage (Storm/Hunting)
    • Spellbreaker (Warfare/Spirit)
    • Spellbinder (Defense/Spirit)
    • Guardian (Defense/Nature)
    • Magician (Rogue/Earth)
    • Juggernaut (Defense/Earth)
    • Avenger (Hunting/Earth)
    • Champion (Warfare/Nature)
    • Battlemage (Warfare/Earth)
    • Sorcerer (Rogue/Storm)
    • Bone Charmer (Spirit/Hunting)
    • Illusionist (Spirit/Nature)

The one thing all of these classes have in common is that they're hybrids. Their stats are spread very thin, making it hard to keep all the abilities at their highest, meaning it's hard to equip the best equipment (even when you have it), and meaning that the things they do all tend to be less effective than the purists, and detrimentally so.

You'll see that I left out some hybrid type builds, though. Those are the so-called synergy bombs; Warlock (Rogue/Spirit), for instance. Ternion + Arcane Lore + Mandrake is so overpowered that your team will hate playing with you, and it ranks up there with Squall spammers (in normal mode) in terms of sheer lameness. Most of the hybrids that use Dream fall into this category, too.

I mean, everyone should play what sounds good to them. I just want to give everyone a heads-up that not all characters are created equal... or viable in later difficulty modes (without a lot of work).

... is a fuckawesome post.

I think I'm sold on TQ: Gold. For someone playing single-player who does not have infinite time (as in only might get through one of the two), is it better to start with TQ or IT?

You can't "start" with IT. IT basically adds all it's stuff onto TQ and then you play through the normal TQ campaign and then you get to the IT story after that. At last that's what I got from the main menu. I made a new character and there I was at the start of the regular TQ campaign.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    You can't "start" with IT. IT basically adds all it's stuff onto TQ and then you play through the normal TQ campaign and then you get to the IT story after that. At last that's what I got from the main menu. I made a new character and there I was at the start of the regular TQ campaign.

Ah, well there you go then. Thanks.

Downloading...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Everything looks good serial, got up to act3 with no problems in SP. Checked out freezing blast, still not terribly useful(at least with 1 point), it is more useful than it was before, since I can actually still damage what is frozen now.

Also of note, it was more difficult, but not frustratingly so. I actually died a couple times in babylon, and almost during the end boss for act2

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So is anyone playing this into the late evening?

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm up for a game, lemme refill my water bottle and I'll load up a game.

Also serial, is it possible to increase the control range on the wolves? My wisp I can tell to go somewhere completely on the edge of the screen and it will. I if I tell the wolves to do that they just stare at me.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, if you are using serial's patch, we can't play together, but if you remove it, you can join my game.

PA///wang, of course.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yes I am aware how the mods work.

Also I just realised what day/time it was. I will be around in an hour or so, I wanna catch the series finale of stargate atlantis.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No problem, dude. I'll probably be on until 2 EST.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, the farm quest in the Babylon Outskirts is a pretty awesome place to farm for equipment to get lots of gold, and sometimes a blue and purple drop. A really good place.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, playing an Elementalist and having fun with the Core Dweller and grenade attack. How should I be spending skill points, especially in Storm?

Also, where's the stash again? I found a nifty short sword that's of no use to my character but it's too interesting to sell.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Stashes are located in larger cities usually. It appears as a black circle on your (M)ap. He has a chest above his head.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    So, playing an Elementalist and having fun with the Fire summon and grenade attack. How should I be spending skill points, especially in Storm?

Also, where's the stash again? I found a nifty short sword that's of no use to my character but it's too interesting to sell.

Theres a section in the OP detailing the storm and earth skills.

Eh, I don't think I'm going to take briar ward after all, it only lasts 30 seconds, and has like a 1:20 recharge.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Eh, I don't think I'm going to take briar ward after all, it only lasts 30 seconds, and has like a 1:20 recharge.

Don't forget that while getting -100% recharge is a major pain in the ass (and rightfully so, since it's so goddamn cheesy), getting -25% or even -50% isn't that hard. And you have access to Refresh, too.

Actually, to tell the truth, one of the changes I was contemplating for my mod was taking Briar Ward and cutting the duration and recharge time in half.

EDIT: And if I can find a file host that doesn't suck, I'll put my mod up for everyone to grab.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Don't forget that while getting -100% recharge is a major pain in the ass (and rightfully so, since it's so goddamn cheesy), getting -25% or even -50% isn't that hard. And you have access to Refresh, too.

Actually, to tell the truth, one of the changes I was contemplating for my mod was taking Briar Ward and cutting the duration and recharge time in half.

EDIT: And if I can find a file host that doesn't suck, I'll put my mod up for everyone to grab.

Do you know the duration/recharge on refresh?

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Do you know the duration/recharge on refresh?

Duration is instant... it basically knocks a fixed number of seconds off all of your cooldowns. The recharge time on Refresh itself is 20s. It works nice if you've got Ancestral Horn or Outsider, too.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Btw, I still could use some +nature or +summon wolves items. I have a staff that gives +1, but I need +3 more so I can summon my third wolf on demand.

And I have a game up.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Btw, I still could use some +nature or +summon wolves items. I have a staff that gives +1, but I need +3 more so I can summon my third wolf on demand.

And I have a game up.

The third wolf actually comes at 18 or 19, if memory serves.

I'll dig around TQ Vault and see if I've got some +nature items. I know I have some nature-specific sets that I've never used before, but I think they're for a Champion.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought the powers capped/gave final bonus at +4 over the level you can reach through skill points?

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought the powers capped/gave final bonus at +4 over the level you can reach through skill points?

Some, yeah, but not all. I think War Wind is the same way; you get an extra target at +3, not +4.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also Morkath, I'll be up for a game in a bit, but I'm tinkering with the mod a bit and I just got the FF4 Piano Collections album, so I'm listening to that at the moment. Once I finish up and make something for dinner, I'll be ready to play.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also Morkath, I'll be up for a game in a bit, but I'm tinkering with the mod a bit and I just got the FF4 Piano Collections album, so I'm listening to that at the moment. Once I finish up and make something for dinner, I'll be ready to play.

Ah cool, just join whenever you want to play. I'm just trying to finish up normal, almost done with act3 I think.

Mostly me running around like a headless chicken as my wolves are pretty useless at this point, and my LB recharges slow heh.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I might be a bit of a drag, then, actually. I don't think I have any characters between the middle of act 2 and the end of act 4; I think I go right from like level 22 to 39.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I might be a bit of a drag, then, actually. I don't think I have any characters between the middle of act 2 and the end of act 4; I think I go right from like level 22 to 39.

I can help your 22 guy then, I don't mind. I could use a few more levels to help with act4. Only level 30 atm.

Morkath on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sorry guys, I was Fenris and I got disconnected from the server and can't seem to get back. I'm gonna have to mess with some stuff to see if I can get it to work.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, I made some significant updates to the OP today. Take a look at it. Especially if you're new to the game.

Also, Morkath and I are playing right now. Regular 1.16. We just got to Act 3 on normal, but if you need to, we can go back and run people through Act 1 or Act 2.

Taking a break to get food, though, but the game's up. PA // wang as usual.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I may have to join you folks sometime. I played a lot of the original Titan Quest (apparently... I still don't know where I got half of the items that I do), but I never played much online. My girlfriend got a couple Gold editions for me for my birthday way back when, and we've just started playing it again (had to upgrade her computer with a Pixel Shader 2.0 video card).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I need to get back into this game. I started playing it again thanks mostly to this thread coming up but my comp keeps dying so I gotta diagnose and such. Around what level are you guys at? I've never played this in multiplayer before.

Dream/Spirit is good right? I'm in Act 1 at the moment at Athens (I'd be in Egypt by now if my computer wouldn't keep shitting itself) and I seem to be slaughtering everything good... any tips for my class?

theSquid on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This game is... better than Diablo II. :shock:

I prefer the whole gothic medieval thing but fuck... this game is so well made in pretty much every regard that I am afraid Diablo III won't satisfy me when it comes out. D:

Tzen on