• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It seems that my phalla spot is coming up soon. Well, I never actually made it. I signed up so long ago, I figured I'd work on it later, then this 'real life' thing took up most of my time.

Anyway, just toss me to the back of the line. I think I should try running a mini phalla someday, if I had the slightest clue where to start with one of those.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sorry guys seems like I'll have to put my game on hold. Im not sure when it will be finished. But school and such. I may find time to get it done...but I dont think in 4-6 days :I apologies

Egos on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You could always just move down a slot or two rather than put the game on hold.

Or take an extra day or two if need be.

(Because if that game doesn't happen, I will be most disheartened)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Hmm yeah I wasn't planning to put it on indefinite hold like Mortal Kombat or anything. More like just wanted an extra 7 days or so. So if moving down a slot or so is possible that would be ideal (didn't know that was possible..)

Egos on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Hmm yeah I wasn't planning to put it on indefinite hold like Mortal Kombat or anything. More like just wanted an extra 7 days or so. So if moving down a slot or so is possible that would be ideal (didn't know that was possible..)

Done.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just noticed my mini isn't a currently running game.

Man, if only.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So. 64 players. Three evil factions, with one group of 8 and two groups of 4. Too many evil players, or just about right?

Burnage on
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    25% of the players being evil is a lot.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If they can't work together it doesn't matter. Hostile Crossfire will happen fairly quickly. Or not at all.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It absolutely matters..

But the balance will hinge on details like how many kills there are per night and how explicit the narration is.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    About the right number, but if kills go away when factions do then the bad guys have a poor chance at prevailing.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It absolutely matters..

But the balance will hinge on details like how many kills there are per night and how explicit the narration is.

Yes. I meant it doesn't disadvantage the village like a normal single big Mafia would. In fact two hostile factions actually improve the villages change of winning than simply having one.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    warban wrote: »
    Yes. I meant it doesn't disadvantage the village like a normal single big Mafia would. In fact two hostile factions actually improve the villages change of winning than simply having one.
    Absolutely. That much mafia would be too much if they were all a single group and the traditional power balance held. I could see if working in a game with a huge amount of good specials, but even then if those specials screw up the village is done for.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    warban wrote: »
    Absolutely. That much mafia would be too much if they were all a single group and the traditional power balance held. I could see if working in a game with a huge amount of good specials, but even then if those specials screw up the village is done for.

Yeah, I'm kind of planning on having a crazy number of specials. I've got a few weeks to tweak details, but I don't, ideally, want any vanillagers in my main.

Burnage on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    25% of the players being evil is a lot.

Two five-person groups, one two-person group, and a thrall. That's 13 evil in a game with 40 people, or 33%.

Two seven-person evil groups, one two-person evil group, and a lone person who could win with any of the evil groups. That's 17 evil in a game with 65 people, or 26%.

My first game came down to the last day, and my second game could used a few more bad guys.

So basically, you're wrong. It really depends on the game rules, how much power the village has and how many groups you split the mafia into.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thorgot gives good advice.

Numbers ultimately don't matter as much as the abilities, win conditions, etc.

I'd try to make sure each team has some roughly equivalent power in terms of numbers and/or abilities since multiple teams with all the kills working together pretty much means the other faction(s) will be toast. Then the remaining groups can fight amongst themselves.

Just look for ways to break the game. If the game can be broken in a fashion you think someone can figure out, fix it. If you have a lot of abilities, the chances of you balancing the game in everyone's eyes becomes less, so just try to aviod a blowout on one side or another.

For example, if you had 3 groups of bad guys and a village, but the bad guys each got say 2 kills and the village has a vigilante, the bad guys could hook up if they knew multiple groups exist and blow the village out of the water. I haven't been watching games recently and don't know whether games with multiple groups work together much, but it could happen.

Or, just mention up front in the OP that there's a lot going on behind the scenes and results may vary.

Ardor on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Alternately, if you find something COMPLETELY broken in your game, just fix it. If you suddenly realize: 'Oh crap, giving this guy 40 kills is going to make my game unplayable', then change it. Nobody expects perfection, and as long as you don't change the rules out of favoritism or by whimsy, you'll be good to go.

Rend on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the first Phallactica Phalla had only one baddie faction, 12 baddies out of 51 players or 24%, and that one was pretty even, lasting 11 days.

I don't think perfect balance is something you need to aim for, though, as long as games aren't ridiculously lopsided. For example, I seem to recall ElJeffe's Cthulhu-themed Phalla being geared somewhat in favor of the bad guys, to go with the theme, and it was great.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    thorgot, I've mustered the energy to come up with a legitimate theme:
    thorgot wrote: »
    11. Varcayn - Phallavoir Dogs

I swear I was 20th or so about a week ago. That said accounting for only a few more games delayed past my position I should be ready on time.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'm going to do another mini here in a bit.

It's Always Sunny in Phalladelphia.

Just gotta finish the Mechanics and roles and stuff. I should be done in 1 - 2 weeks.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Varcayn wrote: »
    thorgot, I've mustered the energy to come up with a legitimate theme:
    thorgot wrote: »
    11. Varcayn - Phallavoir Dogs

I swear I was 20th or so about a week ago. That said accounting for only a few more games delayed past my position I should be ready on time.

Several people dropped off recently.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god I have to finish my phalla.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Theme survey: Would people be more interested in a Dollhouse Phalla rather than a 3rd Phallastar Phallactica?

edit: also, you and your opinions suck, Tycho!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ya know, I like Dollhouse but fuck that. So much fodder in these latest episodes of BSG...

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Theme survey: Would people be more interested in a Dollhouse Phalla rather than a 3rd Phallastar Phallactica?

edit: also, you and your opinions suck, Tycho!

Don't you dare change it.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've said it before, but your first Phallastar game was what got me interested in phalla in the first place Bliss.

Go with what you'd have the most fun with though, an uninspired host is worse than a mediocre [strike]show[/strike] theme.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I just have a pretty cool (or so I think) idea for a game based on the Dollhouse theme, but after thinking about it a bit more I think it might work better as a mini anyway.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pretty set on what I'm doing here next, but trying to keep a D&D theme etched in stone is driving me nuts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote dollhouse. The idea of players with no abilities that could be "imprinted" with new different abilities every day is a cool concept.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I vote for a Phallastar theme, but that's to be expected.

So as not to get too far off topic with theme voting, I'm going to announce my intent to set my main game theme as Fire (Phire) Emblem. I still need to come up with a snappy subtitle and new logo, as well as make sure there's enough Phalla elements in it... as of right now, it resembles Phalla Royale and Phallout a little too much and I'd like to steer away from that. If anyone with creative writing skills is interested, I think I might need a narration writer to do the game the justice it deserves; send me a PM if you're interested.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When it comes down to creative writing I put the word explosion on a piece of paper and underline it quite a lot

Gumpy on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the job of writing the narrations for a Fire Emblem themed phalla would not be a pleasant one for a casual writer. You'd get to the 10th death, scream "How many ways can someone possibly be killed by a sword?!" and then you just steal their death soliloquy from the game they appeared in and hope no one notices.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I don't expect every death to be narrated, it will probably be more general in nature. It depends on what the end scenario looks like. But I do expect (and will allow) that those who are killed will make a death soliloquy of their own.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Well, I don't expect every death to be narrated, it will probably be more general in nature. It depends on what the end scenario looks like. But I do expect (and will allow) that those who are killed will make a death soliloquy of their own.

Its not a proper soliloquy without iambic pentameter

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have there been any Phallas yet that were based entirely on voting? I don't just mean a bare game with no specials, I mean letting the village vote who should be guarded or seered that night. I'm sure it would get confusing, especially if there's a few specials with vote manipulating powers thrown in, but I think it could also be really interesting, and a very different experience from other Phallas.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There was a similar mechanic in my zombie apocalypse mini. The specials were all public. They got to choose, but they needed support from the village in order to use their power each night, so it ended up being a similar situation to the one you describe.

Rend on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Except for the whole not really a Phalla thing, and the zombies herding the village along (Mr. D!)

Darian on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    that was so fun

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Except for the whole not really a Phalla thing, and the zombies herding the village along (Mr. D!)

Hey there was an evil faction! The mechanics were just very unique is all. Jeez.

I would still call it a phalla, but you're right. It's kinda hanging onto that title by a thread.

[EDIT] Mr. D was amazing in that one.

Rend on
This discussion has been closed.