Options

Ar Tonelico II: Get In the Bath, You Crazy Bitches

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you thought level 1 of Cloche's Cosmosphere was awesome, wait til level 3.

Oh, and concerning the choice, just in case you absolutely must know:
    The choice between the two that occurs when you return to Pastalia is the absolute one. I just got to Cloche's level 5 and couldn't complete it, so I know that event is the deciding factor. At least the game seems to go fast so I can easily go for the Cloche ending at another time.

And let me say that Phase 2 is crazy. You'll see.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought it was mediocre at best, but Luca's was just horrible.

Neither of them are as much of a shoe-in as Misha at any rate.

God, was Aurica terrible.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cloche lovers definitely have a very bad case of Tsundere-fetish.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You don't?

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Okay so I'm confused, exactly what do Synch Points do? I have like 850 now and I still have no clue what they're for. Are they used to determine whether or not I get events to raise the synchro for the reyvatails? The game never really made it clear what they do.

Also I finally went back and got rid of those level 3 infected back at the resort. Don't attempt it until you're level 14-15 is my suggestion and I still needed to use 2 healing potions. My favorite part was when the game stopped to load the spell as it was thrown at me so the slowdown caused me to completely miss the guard command and I couldn't guard any of the 4 hits. Thanks game!

Gilder on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Okay so I'm confused, exactly what do Synch Points do? I have like 850 now and I still have no clue what they're for. Are they used to determine whether or not I get events to raise the synchro for the reyvatails? The game never really made it clear what they do.
    They are used shortly into Phase 2, when the option for the Infel Sphere shows up.

Think I might be playing this too much, since the third Reyvateil has already joined me. And I'm only 20 hours in.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Okay cool, at least I know they have a use. I was worried I was missing something stupidly obvious to use them on hidden in the menu somewhere.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone from Canada in this thread? I'm trying to find a copy. I need to know if it's just the shops I've been to, or if it hasn't arrived in the country yet D:

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    g4pengtsg4pengts Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Anyone from Canada in this thread? I'm trying to find a copy. I need to know if it's just the shops I've been to, or if it hasn't arrived in the country yet D:

I got this in Calgary, AB at EB.

g4pengts on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    You know, I think the most bizarre thing about this localization is that the IPDs use both their English and Japanese voice samples. Somebody go drag Houk out of SE++ to explain this silliness.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I managed to track him down briefly, and he said he'd check in when he saw the thread since he did the editing for the game.

Or Luca's voice, one of the two.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What's also strange is that, whenever an IPD-cured Reyvateil joins the Cloche fan club, the cured Reyateil says her name in katanana (and some kanji, if I recall correctly). But the Reyvateils give their reasoning for joining in English.

Lazy Houk.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wow, "The Choice" really sucks.
    Instead of "Do you want to go with depressed emo girl or slightly less depressed emo girl" like in AT1, you get "Do you want to go with the girl who was a real bitch to you throughout the game so far and lied to you or do you want to go with the girl that just started acting like a real bitch to you and lied to you?".

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You've only gotten that far since Tuesday?

Hmm, maybe I do play it too much.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm balancing this and Tales of Vesperia. I also like to make my games last so I go at a pretty slow rate for lots of my games.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ah. I also don't work and the new semester is still two days off, so that's probably a factor too.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm balancing this with the most tedious RPG ever created(Magna Carta), so I'm barely past where they introduced the bathing mechanic.

Not to mention that FEAR 2 and DoW II had demos released this week. :|

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how anyone can play magna carta for more than 5 hours with out feeling like they've been robbed by atlus and demanding a refund for the gaping void in there life it's created.

But this game looks like it could be good fun. Hows the combat?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've owned it since it came out. So I play it for a few hours every, oh, four months or so. The story is good, and so is the music, but the gameplay is horribly flawed.

I respect what Atlus once said about standing behind their games despite its flaws, but Magna Carta's weigh it down very badly.

As for AT2, the combat's still fun, and best of all, random battles are finite. If you get into a certain amount, you don't have to deal with them at all for the rest of the dungeon. It's really not so bad when you have a system that's actually fun, though(take notes, MC).

I'm not a big fan of the guarding, since it's really hard to get perfect timing, but that's why you use a 2000% song to decimate the enemies before they can even think of attacking.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Well I'm balancing this and Tales of Vesperia. I also like to make my games last so I go at a pretty slow rate for lots of my games.

High five simultaneous, Vesperia buddy.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

High five simultaneous, Vesperia buddy.

Hells yeah, it's an awesome game. If only it didn't have so much missable crap. Good thing I'll be playing through it multiple times to get every title.

And cj it's hard to get perfect timing but it's also pretty broken so it balances out. If you mastered the timing you could potentially beat the entire game and never take any damage except for the few fights without a reyvatail. The odd thing is it seems like you can actually be too late for perfect but still get great. It's almost impossible to not get great as long as you don't lose track of who's getting attacked. It feels so good though if you get 4 perfects in a row on an infected that tries to kung fu kick combo you or wreck you with a strong song.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The timing gets difficult during some battles, especially bosses since most of them have attacks that cause the screen to shake, making it difficult to know when to properly guard. These battles start showing up around
    the third battle against Shun.

And I'm still disappointed I cannot find the music that plays during that battle.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A lot of the robot enemies screw me up. The noises they make combined with the zoom in just interfere with me somehow and I'll end up missing the guard a lot. They also seem to attack after each other faster than the normal grunts so I'll think I have a moment to blink but nope I just got hit.

Also song jamming, mostly from robots, is the worst and best thing enemies can do. Nothing like holding that 18,000% charge for 3 extra turns because you just can't set it off.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    I've found it easier to watch the meter out of the corner of my eye and then watch the actual attack.

And Gilder, it wouldn't be a Tales game without inane hoops to jump through for random collection crap.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Guh, the choice really sucks now - Gust did a really good job with the girls' character and personality.

Cloche seems more naive and likable than first impression now, while Luca is showing some signs of of a deeper, darker personality.
    While I still like Luca more, I can also see how Cloche can be charming as well.

I just hope they don't make Luca into something really bad.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    I made it to the split tonight as well before calling it quits. Even though I know a lot of it was coming, I thought the writing was a little unclear about
    Cloche's whole involvement with the IPD stuff. It just seemed like she was surprised, and it's not like she has any real power or authority here anyway. Total fake figurehead and she knows it.

I was probably going to go with Cloche anyway for the aforementioned valkyrie crush, but I was a bit disappointed in that. Luca didn't even put up a fight though. She just got steadily more detestable as that whole long segment went on.
    Oh hey, I'm going to stab all my friends in the back, probably start a ginormous bloody coup that at the very least will completely ruin one of their lives (oh, and I forgot to get her a birthday present too), and you know what, Croix... FUCK YOU, my crazy sister that killed your parents is more important than you.

I mean, I knew from the start about her being the real 'Cloche,' and already kind of pitied Cloche because her life was the one that was going to get turned upside down and ruined as things went on, but man, Luca... you were fucking unrepentant about any of it. I'm just glad Croix called her out on her bullshit at the end there. I really wished he had whipped out the "you know, that bitch killed my family" card. Sure, it'd be assholish, but damn, I wanted to slap her.

I just hope Luca gets her Boe spell below level 6.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I made it to the split tonight as well before calling it quits. Even though I know a lot of it was coming, I thought the writing was a little unclear about
    Cloche's whole involvement with the IPD stuff. It just seemed like she was surprised, and it's not like she has any real power or authority here anyway. Total fake figurehead and she knows it.

I was probably going to go with Cloche anyway for the aforementioned valkyrie crush, but I was a bit disappointed in that. Luca didn't even put up a fight though. She just got steadily more detestable as that whole long segment went on.
    Oh hey, I'm going to stab all my friends in the back, probably start a ginormous bloody coup that at the very least will completely ruin one of their lives (oh, and I forgot to get her a birthday present too), and you know what, Croix... FUCK YOU, my crazy sister that killed your parents is more important than you.

I mean, I knew from the start about her being the real 'Cloche,' and already kind of pitied Cloche because her life was the one that was going to get turned upside down and ruined as things went on, but man, Luca... you were fucking unrepentant about any of it. I'm just glad Croix called her out on her bullshit at the end there. I really wished he had whipped out the "you know, that bitch killed my family" card. Sure, it'd be assholish, but damn, I wanted to slap her.

I just hope Luca gets her Boe spell below level 6.
    To be fair about the stabbing friends in the back thing, she only really fucked over Croix and possibly Cocona. If we're to believe the synchro that those two have though, she actually despises Cocona. She was also never Cloche's friend until almost the last second because Cloche was a huge bitch to her at every opportunity in the story. Always trying to butt in on her problems and then turn it around so it's about her not being understood, insulting her work that she took pride in, and just being all-around mean. Luca tried to be nice but Cloche was having none of it. Oh our birthday falls on the same date? What the fuck is so special about that huh? Leglius wasn't a friend either, just someone she traveled with.

I did like that Croix stood up for himself though. I quite enjoyed the line "That's probably the last thing I'll ever stick in you." In the end, I think I'll be happy with my decision to go with the 3rd, and now it's for more than just costumes. I'm actually hoping she's just better overall than Luca or Cloche.

Do the paths actually take a while to get back together? I remember in AT1 it went for about.... 2 dungeons? I never got to see what was on the Aurica path because she fucking sucked. If the paths go for a while, make sure to inform me on what happens for the Cloche path if I don't get around to replaying this before other games come out.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    No clue, sorry. I read up more on characters and gameplay stuff than plot. *shrug*

AT1 was definitely longer than that though. It was pretty much all of Phase 2. You did trade out one girl for the other in both paths and there was some overlap in where you went, but for completely different reasons. Misha's was much more Tower intensive as well. Man, I was tired of that damn tower.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Phase 2 was awesome. Getting every single event in it, less so.

Has anyone gotten far enough, and had a battle last long enough, to get the sync meter together and use a combo magic? I haven't even managed to pull that off on bosses.
    I wish that someone other than Cloche could use the Replakia system. I really dislike Cloche still (just into Phase 3), and my preferred party right now is with Luca/third reyvatiel. This, however, loses me a system I absolutely adore, the "one giant overpowered shot of doom" system. I abused Ar tonelico in the first game, and I'd love to abuse Replakia, but I consider having Cloche in my party a very real price.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No clue, sorry. I read up more on characters and gameplay stuff than plot. *shrug*

Well not now, I meant when you eventually get through it. It would spoil me to know now as well. I made a back-up save right before the choice though so potentially I can start right there without working back through 10 hours of game.
    Kainy wrote:
    Has anyone gotten far enough, and had a battle last long enough, to get the sync meter together and use a combo magic? I haven't even managed to pull that off on bosses.

I've almost gotten the synch meter matched but then I would run out of magic and the song would destroy the boss. The trick is to just go for the synchro bonus on every turn you get. The closest I got was about the space of 2 lines inbetween them.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Kainy wrote: »
    Phase 2 was awesome. Getting every single event in it, less so.

I wish that someone other than Cloche could use the Replakia system. I really dislike Cloche still (just into Phase 3), and my preferred party right now is with Luca/third reyvatiel. This, however, loses me a system I absolutely adore, the "one giant overpowered shot of doom" system. I abused Ar tonelico in the first game, and I'd love to abuse Replakia, but I consider having Cloche in my party a very real price.

That's how the three are balanced. 3rd is the strongest by far, but she syncs very poorly with the other two. Cloche is the weakest, but her Replakia makes her into a ginormous angry one-shot cannon. Luca's the average, but since she does sync well with Cloche, they do about as well as a team as 3rd does with either of the others.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Concerning Gilder's question about the choice:
    After the choice, you part ways with the girl you didn't choose for just one dungeon, but then something else transpires. Think of it as akin to AT1's part near the end of Phase 1 when one of the girls got captured by the ELMA-DS viruses, only much more crazy.

Also, with the choice, you learn more about the motives of the chosen girl some time into Phase 2, so that too could affect what you think of her.

Edit: Yes, found the damn song; EXEC_METAFALICA/. Still puzzling as to why the OST is incomplete.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just felt I had to say, Replakia is the most epic fucking thing I've seen for a battle mechanic in a long time. It just lets you know that your enemy is fucked. The game is worth playing just for the introduction of that mechanic.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Haven't seen that yet. Is it introduced in Phase 2 or something?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Haven't seen that yet. Is it introduced in Phase 2 or something?

Towards the end of it. It's the fanclub group curbstomp.

Edit: By it, I meant phase 1.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Words and pictures can't describe how epic it is. It has to be seen in action. Also I think battles have gotten better after its introduction. It seems like the graph is going farther in all directions, hymphonics lasts longer, and I'm able to do level 2 moves more easily.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Japanese version of the Replakia introduction. It kicks in at the 5:00 mark.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well, what else is to be expected of a giant girl-powered laser?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Got up to the dungeon after the Replakia stuff tonight. They really lay the "Croix, you're Cloche's dog now" stuff on thick on her side. I am a bit annoyed that Croix still doesn't sync great with Cloche, but now he and Luca sync horribly. Great work, Croix. The Alfman moment at the start of it was priceless.
    "Any normal person would have defected to the Sacred Army."
    --pulls out gun--
    "Your transgressions have not been overlooked."
    --pulls trigger--
    --lollipop shoots out--
    --licks it--
    "Get to work."

I'm getting really sick of fighting Shun at this point, though the latest fight with him was the first actual tough one (in that I actually had to use some items). I think I must have been underleveled or something because Cocona gained 3 levels from that fight.

Also... yeah... did a doubletake at "Cloche-sama!" being left in Japanese for the fanclub recruiting. First instinct was "meh, hymnos," then my hindbrain kicked in and said "you can read that, doofus." Seriously, Houk... what the hell?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    HOLY SHIT! Luca's lvl 5 cosmosphere is the stuff of awesomeness.

I can't wait to journey more of her cosmospheres. I like how they made Luca such a complex character.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ