As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ar Tonelico II: Get In the Bath, You Crazy Bitches

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Wow, incredible. I actually lost a battle because I bit off more than I could chew. This is incredible considering how impossible it was to lose in AT1. Bit of advice: Do not take on level 3 infected Reyvatails as soon as possible. They will mess you up hardcore. Even with "Great" guarding and a couple of perfects, I was still taking like 80 damage from each song. I'll have to come back to her when I'm not level 5 with base armor and weapons.

Is this game really full of innuendo? I mean, am I going to feel guilty for playing this? (like trigger heart excelica)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If innuendo was money, I'd be Scrooge McDuck from the amount the game has given me so far.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And mine shipped. I'll catch up soon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    If innuendo was money, I'd be Scrooge McDuck from the amount the game has given me so far.

So you're saying that I should definitely hook up my capture card and record everything just in case? :winky:

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

So you're saying that I should definitely hook up my capture card and record everything just in case? :winky:

Some of the better stuff isn't voice acted, like Luca talking about Croix losing his Diving virginity, but there should be enough stuff to record. The thing is I'm terrible at spotting innuendo aside from the more obvious things so there's probably already a lot of stuff that's gone right over my head. There is a conversation in the middle of the street where Cloche demands Croix dives into her though and even I didn't miss that. Pretty much anything about diving is just as bad as it was in the first game.

Something else though is I'm counting the girl-girl action stuff as innuendo as well and I'm going to say that the sequel will have way more of that than any other kind of innuendo. The intro movie has some "almost kissing" stuff, one girl asks Luca to do kinkier stuff next time she dives, and the cover for the damn game has Luca and Cloche kind of hugging/holding each other. I don't even want to know what I'm in for when they introduce Dualstalling.

This game is making me feel like a real pervert. I should probably stop discussing it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, well, the naked dual casting should kind of be a clue.

Also, it amuses me that Gamestop has the genre listed as "Music, Music and Party."

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Grr...it's hard to explain, but I like my perviness separate from my vidjagames. I have to pass. I'm not playing this knowing my brother or sister will see.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That was the fastest shipping ever, Etoile. O_o Yikes. It just arrived.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Must play;)

Jungleskye on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Can you fuck the shit out of Cocona?

Y/N

According to Wikipedia she's 11

Way to go, PedoPuff

I would expect nothing less from Mr. Strike Witches.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Goddammit whoever wrote/translated/edited this script has no concept of english grammar. It's constantly messing up You're/Your and it just uses the wrong spelling for words, like peak instead of peek. It's distracting as hell.

Gilder on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The confusing of your for you're and vice-versa is my second most hated grammatical error. My most hated one is people who write 'should of' instead of 'should've'. RAGE. :x

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Grr...it's hard to explain, but I like my perviness separate from my vidjagames. I have to pass. I'm not playing this knowing my brother or sister will see.

Oh please. AT2 just likes double entendres. It's certainly no worse than the dominatrix funbag affairs that show up in every other action/fighting game.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So now that it's out, can you update the thread to include the game's title, as it's (somewhat) less likely to scare people off? :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Until I hold it in my hands, I refuse to accept that it's actually out.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You fail at Rosenqueen-fu.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, well, they sent my copy of Soul Nomad about 10 days late, so we don't get along anymore.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seems like NISA started off the innuendo a lot earlier in AT2 than the original. Cloche's exclamation of "You shall Dive into me!" aloud in a public area was... out there.

I do like the upgrades to the battle system, especially the timed guarding of the Reyvateils and the fast-paced action.

Also, anyone remember that contest that was held where you could win an AT2 towel? Turns out I won one and it should be arriving soon.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i need to get off my ass and fix this ps2 i picked up for cheap so i can play this.

i think this might be an interesting game to purchase.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm, the Dualithnode stuff seems complicated. The various abilities you gain from it only persist until you use the system again; only the levels gained through it remain.

Looks like forced bathings will transpire until I figure out the best combination.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    You monster.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mwuhahaha, Cloche and Luca will be riddled with pruny wrinkles all for my goal of min-maxing.

Also, "Panty War" is the best title for a song.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I didn't know about the temp stats stuff. It seems like something they should've mentioned. Also I tried fighting that level 3 again now that I got to level 10 and level 2 dives completed on Cloche and Luca. I still died miserably. They really want me to wait on fighting her.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    During the bath, there'll be a small message saying something like, "Luca learned Power Up: S" and the like. At the end, the status menu will have a box above the stats with a list of all the temporary abilities you gained from the bath. I'm fairly certain that stuff like HP increases are permanent, though, since I didn't notice a drop in their HP after a few baths.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh, those stats? Not the "Songs do slightly more damage" ones? I got the one for improved relationship but haven't gotten any new crystals since so I didn't get a chance to see it go away.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, those. Every time you take another bath, you'll notice how some of those things have an "E" next to it. That's the temporary ability that you have equipped.

They probably don't make much of a difference in the long run, unlike the actual levels.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok so Ive had the first game laying in my room for a good two months now. Never actually played it yet but its there....is it worth the playing? It looks interesting but also...ummm....well people seem to be creeped out or embarassed by things in it. So like.....uhhh....yeaahh....

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    Some people are pansies who blush when they consider the existence of a vagina.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Blushing is just an excess of blood rushing to your cheeks.

I'm sure you know where I could take this.

But be thankful that I'm not.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Blushing is just an excess of blood rushing to your cheeks.

I'm sure you know where I could take this.

But be thankful that I'm not.

Your Grathnode crystal.

Also I love how my little comment on making the girls take baths became the new topic title.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone else attempted to play their copy on a PS3? I prefer to, as my memory cards there are more current, and it cuts down on any potential slowdown issues. Fun fact: Try Odin Sphere on a PS3 - no slowdown.

However, the exact issue described for the first game, where after the "Playstation 2" screen, the game hangs indefinitely, seems to exist in AT2. The first game's issue was fixed in version 2.10, and I really hope this one can get fixed soon. I hate having to boot up my ailing PS2.

Anyone know the lowdown on this?

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is an absolutely hilarious thread to read when one has absolutely no knowledge of or experience with the game.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok well....my question hath not been answered but I popped it in anyways and I like it so far. Despite the voice acting (which is sometimes great and sometimes cringe-worthy) I like the battle system and I think itll last. How long is the first one? Keep in mind I love to do EVERYTHING in a game before finishing.

mastrius on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Ok well....my question hath not been answered but I popped it in anyways and I like it so far. Despite the voice acting (which is sometimes great and sometimes cringe-worthy) I like the battle system and I think itll last. How long is the first one? Keep in mind I love to do EVERYTHING in a game before finishing.

30 hours or so as a ballpark. You could easily do it faster though. It's not all that long or difficult and there are almost no extra sidequests/boss stuff, although the middle third of the game is completely different depending on which girl you choose (and the ending for the other one is locked off, but the difference is like, 4 sentences for each). Otherwise though, there's just one hidden boss, and it's still easier than the last one.

You are NOT going to 100% it though. Not without following a meticulous guide for every single conversation point and about 40 extra hours to just grind cash for the Tonelicards, which are just shit like monster stats and the favorite food of NPCs. They're just silly things to spend money on at the end of the game when you have nothing better to do.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It's not overly long from what I remember, maybe 30 hours if you take your time and fight every battle possible? If you want to go for everything though you'll be playing for a bit longer because from what I remember you choose your ending by picking one of the two reyvatails to sing a special song which takes you into a good ending / true ending type scenario. I'm pretty sure whoever you picked for the song is who you're getting for the endings and there's a couple more hours of gameplay when you go for the real ending that you'll have to replay if you want to see both of them.

Also if you're OCD like me you're going to get pissed off. The game is bugged on its statistics thing you can access from the main menu (After you beat the game I think) and one character's cosmosphere won't show up as full, even if you've finished it. It'll always be at level 9. It doesn't affect gameplay however. It's just not at 100%.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2009

It's not overly long from what I remember, maybe 30 hours if you take your time and fight every battle possible? If you want to go for everything though you'll be playing for a bit longer because from what I remember you choose your ending by picking one of the two reyvatails to sing a special song which takes you into a good ending / true ending type scenario. I'm pretty sure whoever you picked for the song is who you're getting for the endings and there's a couple more hours of gameplay when you go for the real ending that you'll have to replay if you want to see both of them.

Also if you're OCD like me you're going to get pissed off. The game is bugged on its statistics thing you can access from the main menu (After you beat the game I think) and one character's cosmosphere won't show up as full, even if you've finished it. It'll always be at level 9. It doesn't affect gameplay however. It's just not at 100%.

Nah. That song has nothing to do with the endings. It splits at the start of phase 2. Go with Aurica and it locks off Misha's endings. Go with Misha and it locks off Aurica's endings. Then there are a few 'bad' endings, but they're all pretty obvious. The last split comes after you beat the last boss and only if you fulfilled other stuff, which you'd do anyway unless you're a raging moron.

Not really much of a spoiler
    Finish Shurelia's cosmosphere and you get a somewhat better ending than normal, as well as the option to choose her over Misha/Aurica.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh yeah now I remember the split. It slipped my mind completely until you mentioned it. I remember noticing how much gameplay followed after it and I just abandoned the idea of getting both endings.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It took me about 70 total hours to get every single ending, and very high conversation completion. I did all of that without a guide, and I'm satisfied with the game.

I sent an email to NIS about PS3 compatibility. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The last minute addition to AT1 really got on my nerves.
    How am I supposed to respond to the abrupt 'but I love you!' scheme after devoting all that time to someone else? Then again, I guess two-timing was that guy's specialty.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok cool then, thanks for letting me know. I do like the battle system so far and I will definitely go all the way :winky:

But seriously. The game is pretty great, I mean sure, the voice acting is a tad bit bad at times but Im used to that, and I read the stuff anyways so its not like it affects me in any way. Itll be something good to hold me off until the new Star Ocean. (I also vow to finish Nocturne by the time Star Ocean is out.)

mastrius on